ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley will likely be the best b1g QB next year

It will be Stanley's 3rd year in Brian's offense, so it should be expected to see him take the next step. He probably has the best WR's he has had since he's been playing. He should have an adequate running attack, and if he can get good play from his TE's I think he should be the best QB in the BiG. If were going to judge him on wins, then he probaby won't be the top QB in the league, but his stats (for a pro style QB) should be pretty good. His TD to INT ratio is already very good, and I expect that to continue. Injury will also play into who ends up being the best QB in the BiG. Martinez will be more at risk because of his running (missed several games last season). Stanley, with the exception of his thumb last year has been extremely durable. He will have a good OL and is as big as half the dudes trying to tackle him.

Last edited:
I'm still surprised by the optimism on Stanley. He is still immobile, takes forever to go through his reads and can't accurately throw a long ball.

Stanley 1.0 and 1.1. This is Stanley 2.0. Full reboot. Streamlined mechanics. Increased lean muscle mass. This is his matrix.

If OM gains eligibility the he’ll probably win the Heisman — and intend not to overstate things. Prob a top 5 pick too.

I’m confident in the guys around Stanley, coaches, receivers, line. I think he’s set up for a great year. And I think the thing that’s going to help him most — is Mekhi Sargent.

How many QB’s does this cover under KF?
It's a false equivalence. If you have any memory of those seasons or do any research, it falls apart.

First of all, only 4 Iowa QBs have started multiple years up to their Sr. year under KF.

Drew Tate fought numerous injuries and completely missed at least 1 game his Sr year.

Ricky Stanzi's Sr year was fantastic in a statistical sense, and the problems had much more to do with injuries on the OL and on defense.

Vandenberg lost the best WR in school history and was a stopgap in the horrendous GD experiment.

Beathard was much more injured than they let on, and was missing his top 2 targets for most of the year (Vandeberg and Kittle), plus GD.

I'm not guaranteeing a stellar year for Stanley, but the "KF Sr QB Regression" is a load of shit.

It's a false equivalence. If you have any memory of those seasons or do any research, it falls apart.

First of all, only 4 Iowa QBs have started multiple years up to their Sr. year under KF.

Drew Tate fought numerous injuries and completely missed at least 1 game his Sr year.

Ricky Stanzi's Sr year was fantastic in a statistical sense, and the problems had much more to do with injuries on the OL and on defense.

Vandenberg lost the best WR in school history and was a stopgap in the horrendous GD experiment.

Beathard was much more injured than they let on, and was missing his top 2 targets for most of the year (Vandeberg and Kittle), plus GD.

I'm not guaranteeing a stellar year for Stanley, but the "KF Sr QB Regression" is a load of shit.

I’m with ya. I was trying to figure out who all these 3rd year starters were. Tate and Stanzi, yes. I don’t believe CJ and Vandenberg fall under that category unless my memory is failing me.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

There’s no reason not to be optimistic.

What’s the worst that can happen - a little disappointment?

Enjoy the rise guys.

Best QB room we’ve ever had.
Recruiting improving year over year.
Coaches not settling, maturing into roles.
Putting more players in the NFL than we ever have — earlier.
Star studded defense under a better system than we ran even five years ago.
We’re improving at our worst position, and we just added a 4* gem.
KF is breaking into his prime as a skipper — and you’d already know that if we had just learned to close out games and run the damn rock last year.

I’ve seen the future — and it’s glorious!

Enjoy the rise guys.

KF is breaking into his prime as a skipper — and you’d already know that if we had just learned to close out games and run the damn rock last year.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“Kirk coming into his prime....”. Just in time for his 25th year in charge. Excellent. Will we be getting yet another Division title in the next 15 years?

Remember, last year at this same time, when you told me that Ivory Kelly Martin was the greatest running back we’d ever had at Iowa? I can bump that thread if you’d like.

What a load of garbage.

Enjoy the rise guys.

Best qb room we've ever had? Kirk in his prime? LoL. You'd think we just came off a playoff run and conference title last year. Delusion!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“Kirk coming into his prime....”. Just in time for his 25th year in charge. Excellent. Will we be getting yet another Division title in the next 15 years?

Remember, last year at this same time, when you told me that Ivory Kelly Martin was the greatest running back we’d ever had at Iowa? I can bump that thread if you’d like.

What a load of garbage.

Please do bump that thread. I don’t ever recall holding IKM in such high regard.

Why don’t you give me your “realistic” prognostication for our team over the next five years. Actually, don’t. I like my own.

What do you gain by hoping for the average of what you have been? Look forward. You think when our Hawks go into the season they do it with my mentality, or yours.

Pretty sure it’s mine.

Please do bump that thread. I don’t ever recall holding IKM in such high regard.

I won’t bump it, but I’ll quote your replies and link the thread for you.

I think IKM has the potential to be the best RB we’ve had in Ferentz’s tenure. This year will prove it IMO.

My goodness. Best ever, huh?

Yup. Best combination of small backs and big backs. In the top echelon in terms of speed. Elusive, but not shifty. Smooth. Great body control.

Just more of your usual sunshine pumping nonsense. One Division title in 15 years. Pathetic. Kirk’s time should have been up years ago.

Ok, “potential” and “greatest ever” are two completely different things. And I still believe in his potential — that he has the highest ceiling of all the backs in our room.

I’m going to step back and say that he’s not going to make it to Shonn Greene’s league, but if he’s healthy he’ll lead in yards per carry, and he’ll be a difference maker down the stretch to our division title.

Come on Chuck — there’s only sunshine. It’s not about you Or me being right — it’s about wanting the best for our guys this year. And that means winning every game. Big time players making big plays in big games.

“Realistically” how many conference championships do you feel entitled to over the past 15 years? I think they’ve got what they earned. And despite the league getting deeper and better, with much better coaching we’re still in a position to be better than we were last year. What’s not to like?

Ok, “potential” and “greatest ever” are two completely different things. And I still believe in his potential — that he has the highest ceiling of all the backs in our room.

I’m going to step back and say that he’s not going to make it to Shonn Greene’s league, but if he’s healthy he’ll lead in yards per carry, and he’ll be a difference maker down the stretch to our division title.

Come on Chuck — there’s only sunshine. It’s not about you Or me being right — it’s about wanting the best for our guys this year. And that means winning every game. Big time players making big plays in big games.

“Realistically” how many conference championships do you feel entitled to over the past 15 years? I think they’ve got what they earned. And despite the league getting deeper and better, with much better coaching we’re still in a position to be better than we were last year. What’s not to like?

I feel like our potential is much greater than one DIVISION championship every decade and a half. I think our guys deserve better. Wouldn’t you agree? I think our talent was good enough that we should have had more to show for it. I feel like Kirk, while a very good developer, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of recruiting and coaching.

I feel like the right man in charge would bring home some hardware, but we are all so scared of the unknown that we feel safe with Kirk and that’s enough for most.

2015 was a mirage. That team wasn’t even close to Kirk’s best, it was a product of a charmen soft schedule. Kirk was on his way out before that season saved his job.

It’s ok to wonder what’s out there, and imagine life after Kirk and Brian and Barta. Maybe just maybe we bring home the Divsion title more than once every 15 years (and counting). Give Josh Huepel a call. Lord knows we can afford whoever we want.

Don’t our kids deserve the best?

I'm still surprised by the optimism on Stanley. He is still immobile, takes forever to go through his reads and can't accurately throw a long ball.
Those are exaggerations if I've ever heard them. The closest one to truth relates to Nate's mobility. However, Nate does a decent job of cycling through his progressions ... and his long ball has been improving. Kirk has encouraged him to "loosen up" to some extent ... if he can do that, we'll see less "aiming" ... and more "passing."

Besides ... Stanley had much of the O flowing through him in 2018. His 396 pass attempts were the most attempts by any individual Iowa QB since Vandenberg's 404 attempts in 2011.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Recruiting rankings argue that we perform above our prediction...for those of you who argue recruiting rankings matter.

Those are exaggerations if I've ever heard them. The closest one to truth relates to Nate's mobility. However, Nate does a decent job of cycling through his progressions ... and his long ball has been improving. Kirk has encouraged him to "loosen up" to some extent ... if he can do that, we'll see less "aiming" ... and more "passing."

Besides ... Stanley had much of the O flowing through him in 2018. His 396 pass attempts were the most attempts by any individual Iowa QB since Vandenberg's 404 attempts in 2011.
I think it's a testament to the ignorance of your average fan that a guy could be primed to take the all-time record for TD passes at his school and still some people want him benched.

Also, I lol at the hard-on some people have for "mobility". Stanley has Big Ben mobility. He'll stay in the pocket, shrug off arm or weak tackles, and keep his eyes downfield. His excellent scrambles and throws vs Wiscy, Indiana, and OSU last season are proof of that.

CJB had traditional "mobility", and while he was a fine QB, he suffered from terrible pocket presence that caused him to take a ton of hits, which limited him anyways.

Another thing that’s going to help NS. The spread offense.

We’re going to see less 11 personnel and more 4wide, because we have legit playmakers at WR.

Another thing that’s going to help NS. The spread offense.

We’re going to see less 11 personnel and more 4wide, because we have legit playmakers at WR.
I highly doubt we go 4 wide very often this season. Nor should we.

It's gonna be like usual, heavy amounts of 12 and 21 personnel, setting up the pass through the run, and honestly that's where Nate works best. His play takes are great and the protection is usually there as well.

I wish i could get behind him.
To many bad choices and inconsistent game play. Has potential to be a great qb but truly great one just win.
So here is to hoping he wins this year.

I highly doubt we go 4 wide very often this season. Nor should we.

It's gonna be like usual, heavy amounts of 12 and 21 personnel, setting up the pass through the run, and honestly that's where Nate works best. His play takes are great and the protection is usually there as well.

I’m not saying you’ll see it every third down, but when we look at the matchups our 3rd and 4th WRs are going to win a lot. And we’re lacking the athleticism we’ve had at TE.

I think you’ll be surprised. Isolating our RBs (IKM, Sargent, Goodson) in space will be a mismatch as well. And we’ll likely run from the spread as well.

you know... Nate Stanley is 8-0 in non conference games...
and he's destined to be the all time TD's Thrown leader in Iowa Hawkeye history.
when is the last time an Iowa quarterback went 3-0 in bowl games?
Stanley just might be 5-0 when its all said and done.

it would be poetic... beat Long's career TD passes... and then match his 5 bowl games.

to me... having a 4 WR set doesn't make you a spread offense...
we've seen a number of these 4 WR sets the last several years.
we've seen Stanley audible into a 4 wideout set.

I think we were in a 4WR set against Michigan a few years back on a 2 point conversion
when Falconer dropped an easy conversion

I have complete confidence in the passing game
3 TD passes to WR's against Mississippi State is impressive.
and Stanley didn't miss the deep throw to Easley in that one either.
and that pass to Marsette for the touchdown was perfection.

we are NOT going to have issues with the pass game.
if we can run the ball... its gonna be 2015 all over again with a little better offense.

There you go interjecting some facts into the discussion, darn it. :rolleyes:

I’m not saying you’ll see it every third down, but when we look at the matchups our 3rd and 4th WRs are going to win a lot. And we’re lacking the athleticism we’ve had at TE.

I think you’ll be surprised. Isolating our RBs (IKM, Sargent, Goodson) in space will be a mismatch as well. And we’ll likely run from the spread as well.
I think the jury is still out on the TE's. The word has been that Beyer is a very good athlete, as Cook might be, and Weiting is a very experienced inline guy. As many bemoaned last season we didn't play Hock and Fant that much together, so we might not be too bad off. Time will tell........

you know... Nate Stanley is 8-0 in non conference games...
and he's destined to be the all time TD's Thrown leader in Iowa Hawkeye history.
when is the last time an Iowa quarterback went 3-0 in bowl games?
Stanley just might be 5-0 when its all said and done.

it would be poetic... beat Long's career TD passes... and then match his 5 bowl games.

to me... having a 4 WR set doesn't make you a spread offense...
we've seen a number of these 4 WR sets the last several years.
we've seen Stanley audible into a 4 wideout set.

I think we were in a 4WR set against Michigan a few years back on a 2 point conversion
when Falconer dropped an easy conversion

I have complete confidence in the passing game
3 TD passes to WR's against Mississippi State is impressive.
and Stanley didn't miss the deep throw to Easley in that one either.
and that pass to Marsette for the touchdown was perfection.

we are NOT going to have issues with the pass game.
if we can run the ball... its gonna be 2015 all over again with a little better offense.
Should he win one this season, Nate will only have won 3 bowl games. He played in the 2017 Outback which we lost, and won't be eligible for a 5th barring a catastrophe this year.

Last and only Iowa QB to go 3-0 in bowl games was Stanzi. 2009 Outback, 2010 Orange, 2010 Insight.

Should he win one this season, Nate will only have won 3 bowl games. He played in the 2017 Outback which we lost, and won't be eligible for a 5th barring a catastrophe this year.

Last and only Iowa QB to go 3-0 in bowl games was Stanzi. 2009 Outback, 2010 Orange, 2010 Insight.

yah.. thanks... I had forgotten about that...
so... I was thinking... Big Ten Championship and 2 Bowl games after that equals 3 for the season... plus the 2 he won as a starter... plus the one you mention... thats a total of 6 bowl appearances... which would exceed Long's 5

so begs the question... does the Big Ten Championship count as a "Bowl Game" ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT