ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley's performance late in games

I just wish they would allow him to play loose like this a lot more often. I know they run a set scheme, but if they just unleashed him with no huddle, I think Stanley could pick apart a lot of teams. He has the arm and fortitude to do so, but I do think the set slow pace can kill him. In those games where they said, it's go time, he's been clutch and really made some big plays.

I really do feel this goes against the strategy that the coaches put out there for the game plan. We all know they like to control the LOS and the possession time. However, I feel like when Stanley is cut loose, he can be quite good. We have seen it time and time again. It's only when we "have to" take that approach that we see it. It would be nice to come out firing like that for the first two possessions and then, dial it back to follow strategy.

I hate waiting until we absolutely have to have it, that we start to allow him to do so.

I agree. And, I was mostly away from the boards this weekend, so I can't be sure, but I suspect he's not being given the credit he deserves for leading a game-winning drive, with 30-something seconds left, no timeouts and a couple huge (bad) calls going against the team. That was honestly a masterpiece from him to win Friday.

Wtf did he do that was so clutch against Michigan? Brandon Smith made a miracle catch vs PSU. Wisconsin and Nebraska he made some nice plays late, but again, you don't get to be praised for digging yourself out of your own hole, and in Wisconsin's case he never really did that.

If I throw 10 darts and one of them lands on a bullseye, do I get credit for being awesome at darts if 4 of them didn't even hit the board?

Something nobody can take away from Nate is his toughness. His sneaks are the stuff of legend. Playing so much of last season with a thumb injury on his throwing hand. The effort he put in to scoring the conversion against Wisconsin. His scrambles for positive yards where he took on defenders like a fullback. The list goes on. He's a gritty dude that never once gave the impression he wasn't 100% bought in.

I just wish they would allow him to play loose like this a lot more often. I know they run a set scheme, but if they just unleashed him with no huddle, I think Stanley could pick apart a lot of teams. He has the arm and fortitude to do so, but I do think the set slow pace can kill him. In those games where they said, it's go time, he's been clutch and really made some big plays.

I really do feel this goes against the strategy that the coaches put out there for the game plan. We all know they like to control the LOS and the possession time. However, I feel like when Stanley is cut loose, he can be quite good. We have seen it time and time again. It's only when we "have to" take that approach that we see it. It would be nice to come out firing like that for the first two possessions and then, dial it back to follow strategy.

I hate waiting until we absolutely have to have it, that we start to allow him to do so.

I feel the same way. If our defense is our strength, then let the O loosen it up and put opponent's D on edge with hurry up. They would never expect it unless end of game. If we go a few series 3 & out then look to control possession time.

I feel the same way. If our defense is our strength, then let the O loosen it up and put opponent's D on edge with hurry up. They would never expect it unless end of game. If we go a few series 3 & out then look to control possession time.

bowl game would be a good chance to give it a try but I doubt we’d do that.

Wtf did he do that was so clutch against Michigan? Brandon Smith made a miracle catch vs PSU. Wisconsin and Nebraska he made some nice plays late, but again, you don't get to be praised for digging yourself out of your own hole, and in Wisconsin's case he never really did that.

If I throw 10 darts and one of them lands on a bullseye, do I get credit for being awesome at darts if 4 of them didn't even hit the board?
If you do it with Penn State's d-line trying to rip your head off, and on a field with rain or snow and gusty winds. Oh, and with a person running what may or may not be a predefined route while holding the target with a defender pushing him around...

Bad analogy...

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT