wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
Bohannon
Moss
Cook
Garza
Nunge

Nothing against Wagner, but I think Nunge gives us a much better chance at winning. We need to start out strong in these tournaments with our five best players. Also, they should get a majority of the minutes until they need some rest. I hate when we do the mass substitution. It's like lets bring our B squad in the game now and hope they can bring us back.

The key to beating Fran is not a secret. Get physical with the offense and run on them on defense.

The more physical you’re allowed to get, the better chance you’ll have at winning.

Reactions: K OKeefe
If Cook doesn't improve his defense he doesn't belong in the starting lineup. His effort is just not there and it kills the overall team performance. Cook, Nunge and Garza would get shredded and we would be seeing a lot more open layups. Garza at least admitted he didn't bring it today.

no what this team needs their energizer Bunny off the bench in Baer. last season he led the team in rebounding, blocked shots and steals, not to mention he shot over 39% from 3.
Wagner might not be starting if Baer was healthy.

How about give the top players their minutes and not worry about trying to get everyone on the roster some playing time?

Bohannon
Moss
Cook
Garza
Nunge

Nothing against Wagner, but I think Nunge gives us a much better chance at winning. We need to start out strong in these tournaments with our five best players. Also, they should get a majority of the minutes until they need some rest. I hate when we do the mass substitution. It's like lets bring our B squad in the game now and hope they can bring us back.

Garza & Cook were awful today. They should have been benched a lot sooner.
The lineup that brought us back in second half was Bohannon, Moss, Dailey, Nunge & Kreiner.

Moss and Bohannon were equally bad in the first half. But they were way more effective in the second half. I think we abandon our starters too quickly sometimes. However, my original point is that Wagner is clearly not a "starter." I hate that he starts the game because he brings very little other than rebounding.

Reactions: djwoody
Garazas going staight to the nba guys, remeber Europe? Remember how great that was...leading scorer.

Hes tall so obviously hes going to bring the same defense that Adam Woodbury did. Ive heard that one allot on here. All tall white guys play similar defense.

Just like all athletic black guys are good defenders and rebounders, oh wait Tyler Cook still sucks at both. Shocking.

Kreiner needed to play more last year and he needs to play more this year. Hes tuff, he rebounds, defends and can score.

Garazas going staight to the nba guys, remeber Europe? Remember how great that was...leading scorer.

Hes tall so obviously hes going to bring the same defense that Adam Woodbury did. Ive heard that one allot on here. All tall white guys play similar defense.

Just like all athletic black guys are good defenders and rebounders, oh wait Tyler Cook still sucks at both. Shocking.

Kreiner needed to play more last year and he needs to play more this year. Hes tuff, he rebounds, defends and can score.

OK Coach Krzyzewsky. Let me guess. You've only seen this one game from Garza to decide he's some slow unathletic white boy. He has major skills and you're blind or slow if you don't see it.

Really not trying to be a smart ass, but isn't this the key to beating just about every team?

If it is, you may want to inform Fran. I didn’t see Iowa get physical in the least today.

You think “just about every team” likes to try and outrun its opponent? Seriously? How often do you see Iowa play physical defense? If that’s key to beating every team, why wouldn’t Iowa do it every game?

When I say “get physical”, I’m talking Tom Izzo type defense. Bump, grab, clutch. Impede cuts and hand checking ball handlers.

So to answer your question, no, these are not the keys to beating nearly every team.

Fran finally figured out that uhl shouldn't play. Now he needs to figure out Wagner and Ellingson shouldn't play either.

He figured it out in the second half today. Ellingson didn’t return until there was under a minute left in the game. I don’t think Wagner saw much more action.

Reactions: Hawked
If it is, you may want to inform Fran. I didn’t see Iowa get physical in the least today.

You think “just about every team” likes to try and outrun its opponent? Seriously? How often do you see Iowa play physical defense? If that’s key to beating every team, why wouldn’t Iowa do it every game?

When I say “get physical”, I’m talking Tom Izzo type defense. Bump, grab, clutch. Impede cuts and hand checking ball handlers.

So to answer your question, no, these are not the keys to beating nearly every team.
I don't like it. In 2013 when they beat us they fouled literally every play knowing the refs couldn't call all of them and I promised I could never imagine a Hawks team playing in such a fashion. We'd be relying far too much on what outside forces do instead of control and execution. We have length and strength. We have speed. We have a shutdown defender in case all else fails - when he plays. A legitimate, good defense is hiding somewhere and can be utilized.

Reactions: iahawks10
Dailey made a good case to be ahead of Ellingson at the 2 and also cold play some 3. Bohannon/Moss/Dailey at 1-2-3 would be a decent lineup, but Fran forgot to recruit any backup guards.

Ellingson made a good case that he can't play PG vs that kind of defensive athleticism/quickness. Also it is suicide to play him at 2 when you already have a defensively challenged PG.

Wagner made a pretty good case that he can't play 3 and needs to join Uhl on the deep bench.

Bohannon
Moss
Cook
Garza
Nunge

Three unimportant games and already we are telling the coach how to coach. Credentials please.

Reactions: nitewing
to many still playing God and saying who should play and who should not, OMFG these are not Professional Player nor were they labeled 1 n done players.
Connor is out with Mono there is 1 guard that can play the 1 or 2
Williams left there is the 2nd guard
Dailey is supposed to be able the play the 2 or 3 so he is the 3rd guard behind JBo and Moss. how many more guards was he supposed to bring in?

to many still playing God and saying who should play and who should not, OMFG these are not Professional Player nor were they labeled 1 n done players.
Dailey is supposed to be able the play the 2 or 3 so he is the 3rd guard behind JBo and Moss. how many more guards was he supposed to bring in?

Your death cannot come soon enough or be painful enough.

Garza is one of the best 5 yet only played 12 minutes because for we say not having his head out of his ass, or into the game.
this is a good thing that Fran will sit ANY PLAYER that is not into the game,
Nunge played 28 minutes and Kriener played 26 minutes. nice to know Fran also has the luxury to do this one last thing Moss played 20 minutes and scored 24 points
Wagner played 11 minutes despite starting
Cook 22 minutes
JBo 36 minutes

Just 1, a true point.

Reactions: RocknRollface
He figured it out in the second half today. Ellingson didn’t return until there was under a minute left in the game. I don’t think Wagner saw much more action.

Wagner was our best player today. Got us off to a quick start with three early baskets, then great defense on the press for a steal and score, followed by a 3 to get it back to a one point game in the second half. He showed today why he does start.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Only if they tank in the BIG. And then it won't probably matter either.

What about if they play like last year? Good not great.

Theres a big margin between tanking and getting in just on conference alone.

If Iowa puts together a respectable conference season these losses hurt allot and could easily be the difference.

We finished 5th last year and didnt get in. Thats not tanking. Bad nocon losses/rpi from facing bad teams kept us out.

Dont kid yourself, these losses are a big blow.

I completely agree. Plus, the Big 10 as a whole is not exactly doing extremely well so far in games vs decent teams. A 10-8 record in the Big 10 likely wont automatically put a team into the NCAAtourney this season.

What about if they play like last year? Good not great.

Theres a big margin between tanking and getting in just on conference alone.

If Iowa puts together a respectable conference season these losses hurt allot and could easily be the difference.

We finished 5th last year and didnt get in. Thats not tanking. Bad nocon losses/rpi from facing bad teams kept us out.

Dont kid yourself, these losses are a big blow.

I completely agree. Plus, the Big 10 as a whole is not exactly doing extremely well so far in games vs decent teams. A 10-8 record in the Big 10 likely wont automatically put a team into the NCAAtourney this season.

No, not with these losses on the resume.

These are really bad and ridiculous losses.

Really wasn't trying to start an argument. Just commenting on what I think are two obvious fundamental principles to the game of basketball. I'm still not sure how these two basic tenets are not important to winning games.

First, playing physical D is what every coach asks for. I can't ever remember seeing a coach at any level call time out because their players are just being too physical on defense and and yell, "WE NEED TO PLAY SOFTER D OUT THERE!" I know there are different levels of what you deem to be physical, but a level of physicality on defense is asked by every coach including Fran.

Also, there isn't a college team in the US that doesn't run some type of structured break and secondary break off makes and misses. Easy baskets are the goal of every coach. Even Todd Lickliter would not be angry with his team for making too many damn layups. Sure some teams traditionally play faster than others, or have personnel that are better at it, and I understand that.

Now that doesn't mean that all teams are good at doing these two things. Obviously, some players are better at it than others, and without a doubt some coaches are better at emphasizing, prioritizing, and teaching it.

So if your point was that Iowa is not very good at these two things thus far this year I would certainly agree. But if you are arguing these two things are not key to winning no matter your opponent I would respectfully disagree. Good day sir.

Really wasn't trying to start an argument. Just commenting on what I think are two obvious fundamental principles to the game of basketball. I'm still not sure how these two basic tenets are not important to winning games.

First, playing physical D is what every coach asks for. I can't ever remember seeing a coach at any level call time out because their players are just being too physical on defense and and yell, "WE NEED TO PLAY SOFTER D OUT THERE!" I know there are different levels of what you deem to be physical, but a level of physicality on defense is asked by every coach including Fran.

Also, there isn't a college team in the US that doesn't run some type of structured break and secondary break off makes and misses. Easy baskets are the goal of every coach. Even Todd Lickliter would not be angry with his team for making too many damn layups. Sure some teams traditionally play faster than others, or have personnel that are better at it, and I understand that.

Now that doesn't mean that all teams are good at doing these two things. Obviously, some players are better at it than others, and without a doubt some coaches are better at emphasizing, prioritizing, and teaching it.

So if your point was that Iowa is not very good at these two things thus far this year I would certainly agree. But if you are arguing these two things are not key to winning no matter your opponent I would respectfully disagree. Good day sir.

I wasn’t trying to argue either and I’ve certainly haven’t talked to every coach in college basketball. I don’t know what they’re preaching. I do know that Iowa is on the lesser side when it comes to being physical on defense.

If you can’t see that some teams are far more physical than others, I don’t know what to tell you. Same goes for those teams who like to run. They may have a fast break play or two, but that doesn’t mean they like to run. Todd Lickliter didn’t build teams to run. Todd Lickliter may have had a fast break play in the play book, but he wasn’t an uptempo coach. Same goes for the Northwesterns and the Princeton offense.

I’m talking about teams that are uptempo offenses and Tom Izzo type physical on defense. But to answer your question again, no I don’t think every coach coaches his teams to play like this.

I wasn’t trying to argue either and I’ve certainly haven’t talked to every coach in college basketball. I don’t know what they’re preaching. I do know that Iowa is on the lesser side when it comes to being physical on defense.

If you can’t see that some teams are far more physical than others, I don’t know what to tell you. Same goes for those teams who like to run. They may have a fast break play or two, but that doesn’t mean they like to run. Todd Lickliter didn’t build teams to run. Todd Lickliter may have had a fast break play in the play book, but he wasn’t an uptempo coach. Same goes for the Northwesterns and the Princeton offense.

I’m talking about teams that are uptempo offenses and Tom Izzo type physical on defense. But to answer your question again, no I don’t think every coach coaches his teams to play like this.

Fair enough, I disagree, but that's okay. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Focus on Cook, watch his effort. If he is boxed out at all, all he does is just stand behind the guy. He needs to be benched for two reasons. Number one Iowa can not win with a guy giving that effort. 6' 9" and athletic and can't rebound cause rebounding is heart and effort he has neither. Number is two is he has to bench for his own good. He still has time to figure it out the talent is there. Bench him and make him work his way back. He doesn't appreciate the situation he's in or the athletic ability he has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT