ADVERTISEMENT

Stoll Charged with False Reports x 2

Very likely nothing from the courts. First time offender, simple misdemeanor. Now the University? That's a whole different ball game. He'll likely be suspended (not that that will matter much, considering he needs to be on a pitch count anyways)

Reactions: Franisdaman
Very likely nothing from the courts. First time offender, simple misdemeanor. Now the University? That's a whole different ball game. He'll likely be suspended (not that that will matter much, considering he needs to be on a pitch count anyways)

I will be surprised if the suspension amounts to much, if there even is one. He's not a troublemaker and it's not a major charge.

Believe it or not a person cannot be convicted of false report to police unless there are affirmative steps to report an incident. If the cops showed up at the emergency room or sought him out to interview him elsewhere, and Sam lied, that's not enough. Sam would have to have reported it and lied. I doubt Sam did anything other than answer some questions when the cops were summoned to the hospital.

Merely providing false information can be an offense only if police include it in a citation charging another person. I'm not aware anyone else was charged.

Somebody tweet Sam this Iowa Supreme Court case State v. Ahitow, 544 N.W.2d 270 (Iowa 1996). He could be not guilty.

Believe it or not a person cannot be convicted of false report to police unless there are affirmative steps to report an incident. If the cops showed up at the emergency room or sought him out to interview him elsewhere, and Sam lied, that's not enough. Sam would have to have reported it and lied. I doubt Sam did anything other than answer some questions when the cops were summoned to the hospital.

Merely providing false information can be an offense only if police include it in a citation charging another person. I'm not aware anyone else was charged.

Somebody tweet Sam this Iowa Supreme Court case State v. Ahitow, 544 N.W.2d 270 (Iowa 1996). He could be not guilty.
Especially while in a state of shock, in pain, on meds....
He'll be ok. The other guy maybe not.

I have some questions and hopefully someone has the answers.

From the story, the impact on Stoll: its a simple misdemeanor charge that can result in up to 30 days in the county jail and a fine of up to $625.

No further charges are expected to be filed, according to an ICPD news release sent Friday afternoon. Iowa City Police Chief Jody Matherly said Friday that police do not know who fired the shot that struck Stoll.

Questions:

Can Stoll not tell the police who shot him? What would he say? "Sorry, but i would rather not tell you?"

If the police determine the shooter, what charges might he be facing?

With Iowa’s new stand your ground law I don’t see the shooter getting in any trouble. My guess is the ‘prank’ will play out something like “I burst into his room while he was sleeping to scare him and he pulled a gun and fired.” The shooter will say he feared for his life and was in a sleepy daze and didn’t recognize it as Sam.

, in Iowa City...or thaer

From the story, the impact on Stoll: its a simple misdemeanor charge that can result in up to 30 days in the county jail and a fine of up to $625.

No further charges are expected to be filed, according to an ICPD news release sent Friday afternoon. Iowa City Police Chief Jody Matherly said Friday that police do not know who fired the shot that struck Stoll.

Questions:

Can Stoll not tell the police who shot him? What would he say? "Sorry, but i would rather not tell you?"

Brother....back in 1999....in Iowa City....it was $1,000 fine and no jail sitting for a first time offender.....or so a friend told me :/ (turns out, don't tell the cops you are 40 year old man and give them your father's ss# when asking if you are old enough to be drinking)

Reactions: IRONBIRD and el dub
We all know that pigs deserve to be lied to......after all, they wouldn't think twice about lying to you. I know, I know, they aren't all bad....just most.... but better to be safe than sorry when dealing with that corrupt dumpster fire of an organization. Don't blame you one bit, Sam.
I would not call them pigs. That is a bit over the top. I do hate to admit though that I have been lied to by cops and I am a law abiding citizen. It seems they have been dispatched more and more to extract money from the citizens to pay for indebted and broke city gov't. It is a shame, because you know most of them wanted to protect and serve when they signed up and they are usually pretty good guys.
I know some great guys who are terrific people and they are cops, but when the boss says go out and give "x" number of tickets and raise "x" in fines etc, what can they do. It has really changed my opinion of cops from one of great respect to slight distrust. Instead of letting things go, every incident is seen as a potential revenue stream. IMHO

Depending on what he was specifically charged with, providing false information to the police is illegal. In CA it’s defined as obstructing, delaying or resisting officers during the course of their duties. I’m sure Iowa has a similar statute. Pablow is correct on the filing a false police report. Sam would’ve had to sign a statement falsely accusing someone else of a crime to be guilty of the latter. The University and Coach Brands might not however, give two shits about what the law says and hammer Sam and/or Turk for the poor judgement.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
We all know that pigs deserve to be lied to......after all, they wouldn't think twice about lying to you. I know, I know, they aren't all bad....just most.... but better to be safe than sorry when dealing with that corrupt dumpster fire of an organization. Don't blame you one bit, Sam.
Never heard of him, so he won’t be missed when I ignore him. ¿Et tu crablegs? Damn thought I knew u homie. Ignore.

I know some great guys who are terrific people and they are cops, but when the boss says go out and give "x" number of tickets and raise "x" in fines etc, what can they do. It has really changed my opinion of cops from one of great respect to slight distrust. Instead of letting things go, every incident is seen as a potential revenue stream. IMHO

I tend to agree with this part. I got pulled over in Cali on my way back from San Diego. Had my cruise set on 75 (in a 70)...going through the mountains with a lot of hills, my cruise increased going up a hill and hit 80 to begin the descent. Dude was waiting right there. Got me (fair and square) but hurriedly wrote my ticket and ran back to his car. I situated all my papers, got back on the road and he had somebody pulled over. In Arizona at one point, I hit no less than 15 mobile speeding cameras on the way up to Flagstaff from Tucson...no tickets but dayum. It's all about the $$$.

That said, I wouldn't have to worry about fines if I am doing the speed limit. I have never been given a ticket for 9 and below. Here in Iowa, I barely see the IC/local cops. Hardly ever see speed traps between here and Des Moines. I sincerely hope this doesn't change.

If Sam messed up, it was probably to protect a buddy. Understandable, but he still has to take his medicine. The IC cops are not the problem in this case. I am with Spooner on this...at least in Sam's case.

Last edited:

Questions:

May he was is shock when the police questioned him...

May he was is shock when the police questioned him...
IA Wrestle:
In an update to an earlier story on IAwrestle it is now being reported that Hawkeye heavyweight Sam Stoll is being charged by the Iowa City Police, according to a release Iowa City Public Information officer Sgt. Derek Frank.. The release states that the police have charged Sam Stoll with a “false report to public entity” after he made two false claims following his gunshot wound. No further charges are expected to be filed.

The All-American wrestler was wounded in the early morning hours on Tuesday, June 19th. The following day Iowa head coach Tom Brands released a statement that his athlete had undergone successful surgery and was released from the hospital. At the time of our last update both the police and the University of Iowa were gathering information on the situation.

Two false claims-He shot himself in the garage. Wrong shooter and wrong location? Or is there something else. Not my intent to start speculation, looking for interpretation from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

IA Wrestle:
In an update to an earlier story on IAwrestle it is now being reported that Hawkeye heavyweight Sam Stoll is being charged by the Iowa City Police, according to a release Iowa City Public Information officer Sgt. Derek Frank.. The release states that the police have charged Sam Stoll with a “false report to public entity” after he made two false claims following his gunshot wound. No further charges are expected to be filed.

The All-American wrestler was wounded in the early morning hours on Tuesday, June 19th. The following day Iowa head coach Tom Brands released a statement that his athlete had undergone successful surgery and was released from the hospital. At the time of our last update both the police and the University of Iowa were gathering information on the situation.

Two false claims-He shot himself in the garage. Wrong shooter and wrong location? Or is there something else. Not my intent to start speculation, looking for interpretation from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

All covered in the link I posted and in my post.

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT