ADVERTISEMENT

Stop the DeVries talk

And then some become established coaches, and if enticed enough, leave and re-establish themselves elsewhere. Some guy named Lute Olson did that.
You’re correct there. But guess what? Lute came from where? Oh, Long Beach St. And when he left he left for a program that was absolutely a bottom of the barrel program. That was also 40 years ago. Different world. Hey, maybe we get Calipari when KY fires him! lol.

You’re correct there. But guess what? Lute came from where? Oh, Long Beach St. And when he left he left for a program that was absolutely a bottom of the barrel program. That was also 40 years ago. Different world. Hey, maybe we get Calipari when KY fires him! lol.
Would love to have Calipari on staff.

As a recruiting coordinator (only).

They actually were inquiring about Bill Frieder & Orr asked how much are you paying.... When Orr heard the numbers he said "I'm available".

The numbers below almost don't seem real. :)

Link --> https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/...ketball-coach-at-two-colleges-dies-at-86.html

Orr had a strong 12-year run at Michigan, taking the Wolverines to the N.C.A.A. final in 1976 and amassing a record of 209-113. Then, in March 1980, he surprised many people by leaving for Iowa State. He said Iowa State had offered him the highest salary of any college basketball coach in the country: $45,000, a substantial raise from the $33,665 he was earning at Michigan.

Reactions: NI hawk
The Ohio St just hired Jake Diebler whose entire head coaching career consists of going 7-2 as the replacement head coach. Never been a head coach anywhere before. And are paying him 2.5 million. That’s Ohio St. Great coaches don’t just go from a Power 6 to another mid level Power 6 very often. But again, maybe when Fran retires we’ll get lucky.

The Ohio St just hired Jake Diebler whose entire head coaching career consists of going 7-2 as the replacement head coach. Never been a head coach anywhere before. And are paying him 2.5 million. That’s Ohio St. Great coaches don’t just go from a Power 6 to another mid level Power 6 very often. But again, maybe when Fran retires we’ll get lucky.
so Gatens it is?

You know this for a fact, huh? Ok.

You sure have a low opinion of the University of Iowa.
Iowa’s basketball program is no where near what it was in the 80s and a big part of that is the big10 is no where near what it was in the 80s.

The conference has been on a steady down hill slide since the early 90s.

Iowa hasn't hired a p5 coach since the 80s.

Iowa’s basketball program is no where near what it was in the 80s and a big part of that is the big10 is no where near what it was in the 80s.

The conference has been on a steady down hill slide since the early 90s.

Iowa hasn't hired a p5 coach since the 80s.
Oh, well then. Since Iowa hasn't hired a P5 coach since the '80s, then they never can, ever again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: fezzador
Oh, well then. Since Iowa hasn't hired a P5 coach since the '80s, then they never can, ever again. :rolleyes:
It's not like they haven't tried. 🙄

There's no reason for a successful high major coach to leave a place that they've had success at to come to a situation like Iowa with weak support from both the administration and the fans, poor recruiting area, outdated facilities .

It's just not going to happen. You can't pay them enough money.

Iowa needs to find their TJ Otz.

Last edited:
Iowa State found a guy that can recruit , coach defense and rebounding. Please tell me why Iowa can’t. What are the reasons? It can been done anywhere and has been done at Iowa in the past. We don’t have a poor recruiting. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and St Louis.

There's no reason for a successful high major coach to leave a place that they've had success at to come to a situation like Iowa with weak support from both the administration and the fans, poor recruiting area, outdated facilities .

It's just not going to happen. You can't pay them enough money.
I strongly disagree with you on that.

But that's fine.

Reactions: littlez
Are you implying Iowa can't get a good coach?

I'm not trying to be an as**.....just curious as to your thinking.
If given free rein and appropriate resources, a crap ton of coaches can succeed at Iowa. The UI powers-that-be don’t emphasize athletics like some other P5 schools do, and aren’t going to pay top dollar for coaches with a proven track record. They have a certain “type” of coach they want to hire - one with a squeaky-clean image and someone who can do things “the Iowa way”, which means “if you can win 60% of your games while putting minimal effort in recruiting the best of the best, unless they’re within 200 miles of campus, then you’re set for life”.

Iowa fans want more, but the most influential Iowa figures are okay with the status quo.

If given free rein and appropriate resources, a crap ton of coaches can succeed at Iowa. The UI powers-that-be don’t emphasize athletics like some other P5 schools do, and aren’t going to pay top dollar for coaches with a proven track record. They have a certain “type” of coach they want to hire - one with a squeaky-clean image and someone who can do things “the Iowa way”, which means “if you can win 60% of your games while putting minimal effort in recruiting the best of the best, unless they’re within 200 miles of campus, then you’re set for life”.

Iowa fans want more, but the most influential Iowa figures are okay with the status quo.
I guess that's the rub. I feel like Iowa CAN afford to pay a top coach. They just don't.

The level of results you described may suffice for the powers that be, but it's not moving the needle for me these days. "Graduate and do it right" is all well and good, but as a sports fan, it starts to ring hollow when that means watching the men's NCAA tournament generally equates to watching Iowa-free sports. At least after the first round, anyway.

I guess that's the rub. I feel like Iowa CAN afford to pay a top coach. They just don't.

The level of results you described may suffice for the powers that be, but it's not moving the needle for me these days. "Graduate and do it right" is all well and good, but as a sports fan, it starts to ring hollow when that means watching the men's NCAA tournament generally equates to watching Iowa-free sports. At least after the first round, anyway.
It's not just a matter of money though. All the high major coaches are making decent money.

No one wants to leave a place where they've built a winner to go to a place that's going to be more difficult.

They want to go somewhere where they have a better chance of success than their current spot.

It's why you rarely see high major coaches jump between similar places. They either make the jump to a blue blood or place with tons of money or they get fired and go back down.

In the big ten Indiana is the only place that usually attracts other high major coaches because they have rabid fan and administration support. Even OSU and UM end up hiring mid major guys.

Illinois managed to poach Underwood but they had hired mm coaches for decades before that.

It's not just a matter of money though. All the high major coaches are making decent money.

No one wants to leave a place where they've built a winner to go to a place that's going to be more difficult.

They want to go somewhere where they have a better chance of success than their current spot.

It's why you rarely see high major coaches jump between similar places. They either make the jump to a blue blood or place with tons of money or they get fired and go back down.

In the big ten Indiana is the only place that usually attracts other high major coaches because they have rabid fan and administration support. Even OSU and UM end up hiring mid major guys.

Illinois managed to poach Underwood but they had hired mm coaches for decades before that.
I can't disagree with that.

Reactions: RocknRollface

Iowa doesn't have a sugar daddy like Phil Knight (who by himself would single-handedly drown out the complacent Iowa bigwigs by opening up his wallet). It doesn't have the "blue blood" heritage of Kansas, Kentucky or Duke. And it's not exactly located in fertile recruiting territory like Philly or Atlanta.

That being said, there's no reason Iowa can't have similar success to Wisconsin or Iowa State. Both have made fairly regular S16 appearances in the past decade-plus, and neither have significant advantages over Iowa, other than an atmosphere which expects better than the one surrounding Iowa. As the saying goes, "if you build it, they will come."

That was garbage all the way around the last 3 or 4 minutes. We have seen that before
Thank you.

DeVries is a great coach. But some of the sh** they do that's cost them games over the years isn't something I'd look forward to seeing at Iowa.

We deal with enough bullsh** ways to lose with the current coaching staff. We don't need all new ones with another staff (and IN before someone says you have to live with that when making a change............the f*** we do.)

Reactions: GOHOX69
Thank you.

DeVries is a great coach. But some of the sh** they do that's cost them games over the years isn't something I'd look forward to seeing at Iowa.

We deal with enough bullsh** ways to lose with the current coaching staff. We don't need all new ones with another staff (and IN before someone says you have to live with that when making a change............the f*** we do.)
For sure. I expect the new coaching staff to make no mistakes ever and get to the Final 4 quickly. Very realistic.

For sure. I expect the new coaching staff to make no mistakes ever and get to the Final 4 quickly. Very realistic.
00f8c250-7075-42e8-baa6-ba9961cb588d_text.gif

OSU hiring Diebler would be like Iowa hiring Matt Gatens as head coach. That was a bold move by OSU; we’ll see how it works out.

I've become convinced that hiring a HC from a mid-major doesn't work. If they were already a HC for several years at that level they'll just keep coaching and recruiting as if they are still at a mid-major, like emphasizing HS recruiting over AAU and the portal. Iowa's next coach should be someone who is and has been an assistant at a high major for 5-10 years.

The Mississippi State coach is from Iowa. They played poorly yesterday but he likes to play defense. MSU was hot, like they always are in the tourney
Nope, got all Urban Meyer-y with a chick in a bar and got fired from Bowling Green. (Something in the water there?). The Iowa city moral police and cancel culture would never allow it. I for one would be ok with it though. True story, Chris Jans was the basketball instructor at a sports camp I went to as a kid. He had a charisma and a drive I could see even as a kid that set him apart. It was through a college so the counselors and coaches were mostly players or former players. Don't remember if he still played at that time or not. There's only one other name single name, first or last from those camps 30+ years ago stood out to me but Jans had this thing about him where you knew even at that age that this guy was the real deal and you didn't forget him.

I don't know why Iowa needs a guy from a mid major. We can't aim higher?
The last time Iowa got a “brand-name“ coach was when they hired Ralph Miller back in the mid-1960’s…..They got lucky with Lute…….Davis had a solid reputation…but Ralph was a BIG TIME coach before coming to Iowa…..a big time coach in probably America’s premier basketball conference at the time.
Could Iowa get such a coach today? Could they get the Oregon coach? The Creighton coach? The Texas coach? Ralph Miller was a MAJOR coup, back in the day.

Last edited:
The last time Iowa got a “brand-name“ coach was when they hired Ralph Miller back in the mid-1960’s…..They got lucky with Lute…….Davis had a solid reputation…but Ralph was a BIG TIME coach before coming to Iowa…..a big time coach in probably America’s premier basketball conference at the time.
Could Iowa get such a coach today? Could they get the Oregon coach? The Creighton coach? The Texas coach? Ralph Miller was a MAJOR coup, back in the day.
Why not try?

Why not try?
It’s not as simple as saying just try. Cmon man. The 2 biggest names in the conference just hired a guy from Florida Atlantic and an assistant from their own school. I’m sure if there was interest on both sides from a high major coach we’d reach out. Or his agent would. There has to be mutual interest. If you’re Ohio St wouldn’t you think DeVries would be a better hire than the guy you just hired? A guy who’s won 106 games in 4 years and actually game planned and coached?

OSU hiring Diebler would be like Iowa hiring Matt Gatens as head coach. That was a bold move by OSU; we’ll see how it works out.
The beauty of it is if it doesn't work in two years they'll hire someone else.

Having a bunch of open roster spots is the best recruiting pitch you can have now.

I strongly disagree with you on that.

But that's fine.
Steve Forbes at Wake Forest could be a target that Iowa could have a legitimate shot some day. I think getting someone from power 5 is possible but not easy.

Hard pass on Dana Altman. I know someone who played for him & doesn't have anything good to say about the man. Used car salesman who throws players under the bus.

• Wow
Reactions: Underscore2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT