ADVERTISEMENT

Strength and Conditioning Coach?

Off the wall as in someone who was a prior NC or AA at Iowa and has their name on the wall? :cool:

Donnie Baker is about as off the wall as I could think up...at least he wouldn't be boring....

maxresdefault.jpg

<<Heard Iowa has hired someone but is waiting to announce it. Was also told it was someone off the wall.>>

Not true- havent even done interviews yet.
Guess I was getting smoke up my butt then. Sadly not the first time and I'm sure not the last. First time from this person tho.

Better smoke than something more...solid.

They have hired someone, heard he was a lifting coach at another school. Big Dude with big arms, look for the hawks to be jacked next year. No really, I did hear they hired a young lad. Will wait for press release and let them spill the beans.

Speaking of monsters and guys with a wrestling background/ties to Iowa, what is Andy Haman up to these days?

<<Please indulge this lowly Iowa Wrestling Acolyte. Is this an upgrade?>>

Way to early to tell.. Travis Rutt is going to be tough to replace..he fit in well,was well liked and had a similar work ethic as TnT.

But I know that the staff is really excited about Alex!

Please indulge this lowly Iowa Wrestling Acolyte. Is this an upgrade?
That's a tough question. Travis Rutt was a certified Strength and Conditioning coach, and was also a very high caliber wrestler. I'm not sure how much he rolled with the guys, but he knew the sport and what it took to compete at a high level.

Kanellis might just be an upgrade as far as Strength and Conditioning coach goes with his personal experiences with the Iowa Football team, body building, and coaching at Regina. His wrestling knowledge, while good, will not be what Travis Rutt had. I'm hopeful that his previous relationship with Doyle will prove to be a big asset in his new role as well.

<<Please indulge this lowly Iowa Wrestling Acolyte. Is this an upgrade?>>

Way to early to tell.. Travis Rutt is going to be tough to replace..he fit in well,was well liked and had a similar work ethic as TnT.

But I know that the staff is really excited about Alex!
I think Alex will be okay in this regard. I don't know anyone who disliked Alex. Like M*, he's a super personable guy. Him and Ryan are actually good friends I think. Here's a good throwback pic.

24669_831467136179_5424265_n.jpg

Thanks for the info y'all...sounds like a great hire. One of the good things about having a good RTC is that we have enough guys to roll around. Rutt will be missed but I think we have enough wrestling guys on hand that a dude that is here to make our guys BFS first should be ok.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I am kinda torn, I’ve met AK and he seemed like a great guy but I don’t see much of a background in college wrestling or strength. If anyone had further info about his expertise, I’d love to hear it.

I am kinda torn, I’ve met AK and he seemed like a great guy but I don’t see much of a background in college wrestling or strength. If anyone had further info about his expertise, I’d love to hear it.

First off I think he has the knowledge to be just fine as a college strength coach. Second thing he has going is coming out of the Hawkeye football program where they Have Doyle and a history of one the best strength programs. He is right there if he has a question. The relationship is in place. I like the hire.

wasn't that his field of study? his football career was cut short by concussions....I think his father is a doctor.... I like the hire a lot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT