ADVERTISEMENT

Studies Find No Evidence That Assault Weapon Bans Reduce Homicide Rates

It’s a mental health issue, not a gun issue. We can make guns harder, if not impossible to get and unless we address the mental health of these potential killers, nothing will change but their method.
If only those folks carried a sign.... "I am mentally unstable. Please don't sell me a gun." Other countries have mentally ill people. Our mentally ill people just happen to have ready access to a lot of guns as well.

You should read the thread then.
I have read the thread. I’m not buying the narrative that it’s not entirely rooted in mental health. Doesn’t make sense. You don’t go from happy go lucky to streaming yourself shooting up a grocery store.

Exactly. The assumption seems to be that these people would immediately find a back alley arms dealer to sell them an AR-15 or AK-47 out of the trunk of a car because they are pure evil and hell bent on mass murder.

Part of the problem with this country is the complete lack of a willingness to compromise and the fall back defensive position to the extremes. You can't cede any ground or the other side wins.

For example, maybe we do need some restrictions on abortion and maybe we do need stricter gun laws. Attempts to completely ban abortion or abolish the second amendment just galvanizes the opposition and makes compromise impossible.
As I said before in this debate, your definition of compromise is off a bit here. You are defining compromise as I want to take ten things from you. How about we compromise and I only take 5.

A true compromise is I want something, and you want something, I give you what you want and you give me what I want.

We’ll never know if it’s possible to reduce the # of guns out there if we don’t try.

Why are those mutually exclusive? Both contribute to the problem, both need to be addressed.

No idea, but not trying at all only ensures MORE guns hit circulation.
At this point, the NRA has too many politicians in their pocket.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I don't need to read all 5 pages of the thread to know the thread title is one of the most stupid thread titles ever.

Reactions: Tom Paris
So why don’t you link a liberal study to dispute the statistics?
How about this? We have more guns than citizens. Hence, why we lead the world in mass shootings. Hence, why nothing kills our youth more than guns.
Why must you guys try to diminish these facts? It’s an American problem. Just admit to it and try to be part of the solution. Gun owners need to be the ones to take the lead on this. Unless they’re all lying, which I highly doubt.

I don't need to read all 5 pages of the thread to know the thread title is one of the most stupid thread titles ever.
There was really no way it could affect anything because all it did was to change how some rifles looked, not how the functioned. It also did nothing about all any of the guns or magazines that were out in the public's hands already.

If anything, it made them more popular after it expired.

ar15-beforeandafterban.jpg

These two rifles shoot exactly the same round, at the same speed at the same rate of fire. Explain to me how this law helped anything.

As I said before in this debate, your definition of compromise is off a bit here. You are defining compromise as I want to take ten things from you. How about we compromise and I only take 5.

A true compromise is I want something, and you want something, I give you what you want and you give me what I want.
That's just stupid.

Banned for trolling but totally not a pathetic troll.

Maybe you could share the post where I outlined the policy ideas you are referencing.
You're doing a great job of making him dance and then exposing his foolishness. His answer to this is to "fix mental health" for God's sake. Who can take that troll seriously? Not me.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
Then they should all be OK. If they cut corners or don't abide by any new registration policies they can be culpable.
In Nebraska we have to get a permit to purchase for a hand gun, it can be used for long guns too it last for 3 years. I went to pick up a hand gun I had ordered, had my permit to purchase in hand. Never thought about it, but I had renewed my drivers license but had not received my new copy. I was turned away and had to run to the courthouse and get a paper copy of my new license to pick up my gun.

My next gun purchase was from a different local gun shop. Ordered the gun and waited a couple days for it to be shipped to the store. Went to pick it up and my permit to purchase had expired the day before. I had to go to the police station and reapply for a permit to purchase and wait for the checks to go through before I could get that handgun.

These guys do all they can to go by the book. It is their livelihood on the line.

You're doing a great job of making him dance and then exposing his foolishness. His answer to this is to "fix mental health" for God's sake. Who can take that troll seriously? Not me.
You seriously are beyond hope if you think some gun restrictions without a widespread decrease in actual guns will solve this issue. It’ll get everyone warm and fuzzy for a few months. That’s it.

I’m talking typical mass shooting variety, not come home to your wife getting a train ran her kind of mass shooting.

That must have been really hard for you to come home to. Might explain a lot about your anger.

• Haha
That must have been really hard for you to come home to. Might explain a lot about your anger.
No I would just join in if that happened. I’d even take the caboose spot if that’s all that was left.

No I would just join in if that happened. I’d even take the caboose spot if that’s all that was left.

I was going to ask for pictures but I really don’t want to see you taking it in the caboose. That’s nice of you to step in for your wife.

• Haha
I was going to ask for pictures but I really don’t want to see you taking it in the caboose. That’s nice of you to step in for your wife.
Ex wife* you should know. Did she never tell you who the real father was?

I don’t blame you for making her your ex if you’re not the father. I agree with you on that one.
You can’t keep up. Not surprised. No one on this board can tango with me. Not a soul. I have you in check mate before you even put your fingers on that sticky keyboard.

In Nebraska we have to get a permit to purchase for a hand gun, it can be used for long guns too it last for 3 years. I went to pick up a hand gun I had ordered, had my permit to purchase in hand. Never thought about it, but I had renewed my drivers license but had not received my new copy. I was turned away and had to run to the courthouse and get a paper copy of my new license to pick up my gun.

My next gun purchase was from a different local gun shop. Ordered the gun and waited a couple days for it to be shipped to the store. Went to pick it up and my permit to purchase had expired the day before. I had to go to the police station and reapply for a permit to purchase and wait for the checks to go through before I could get that handgun.

These guys do all they can to go by the book. It is their livelihood on the line.
Again, then they have no problem. Are you suggesting every gun dealer does this? What about gun shows or private sales?

You can’t keep up. Not surprised. No one on this board can tango with me. Not a soul. I have you in check mate before you even put your fingers on that sticky keyboard.

Why do i get the sick feeling that you’re turning yourself on with all the train, caboose, sticky fingers talk. You are one sick person.

• Haha
Why do i get the sick feeling that you’re turning yourself on with all the train, caboose, sticky fingers talk. You are one sick person.
You’re the one who thought you’d get an angry response. I welcome it with open arms.

Did the study mention that if the kid had a knife instead of an assault rifle, that the cops wouldn’t have waited 40 minutes outside of the school before entering? Because that’s 100% true.
Yep. That’s a problem, now that we have been informed.

So give me your opinion on the Uvalde shooter situation.

Scenario 1 - Free for all
He walks into a store, buys an AR-15 (same day purchase), walks out, drives to school and kills 19 children.

Scenario 2 - Some restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 30 days, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school.

Scenario 3 - More restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told he must be 21 AND there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 3 years, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school.

Scenario 4 - Ban + restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told they are illegal and he's not able to purchase. Asks to purchase a shotgun, but is told he must be 21 AND there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 3 years, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school. BUT if he still must do this, now he has a pump action, 5 round shot gun and is taken out by law enforcement during reload. Only 3 kids die instead of 19.

NOTE: Yes, the shooter can acquire illegal guns, but that's assuming he knows how. I'm 48 and don't have a clue where to purchase an illegal fire arm.
So no source to overall US cases, just your opinion.

How about this? We have more guns than citizens. Hence, why we lead the world in mass shootings. Hence, why nothing kills our youth more than guns.
Why must you guys try to diminish these facts? It’s an American problem. Just admit to it and try to be part of the solution. Gun owners need to be the ones to take the lead on this. Unless they’re all lying, which I highly doubt.
Legalized gun owners are not the issue.

Riley as always sit this out, as we are talking about things above your age. Go play a video game.
You're an avowed idiot so I should not engage but I can't resist. Do you not consider what the legal gun owner did this week to 19 children and 2 adults not to be an issue?

Reactions: SB_SB and littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT