ADVERTISEMENT

*****Summer Olympics Thread🏅*****

This hand wringing about taking off some vets is what’s often wrong with international sports. Dunn has done well but Horan has been subpar all tournament. Her captaincy should be irrelevant.

Soccer Player GIF by Sadie

They are going to either go for the throat or stall now.

Sidenote: How come every large soccer tournament or even mid level leagues have sell out crowds and this place, is at best 1/5 full?

I know Alex Morgan was great but in her prime she wouldn’t have made the play Sophia Smith just made to score that goal. That was brilliantly instinctive what she just did there.

Sidenote: How come every large soccer tournament or even mid level leagues have sell out crowds and this place, is at best 1/5 full?
Probably because there are so many other events taking place all over. Events that really only come around every 4 years. Track and Field is packed, for example.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

Non-European or Northern African teams playing in this tournament had dreadful crowds. The men's side too.

Non-European or Northern African teams playing in this tournament had dreadful crowds. The men's side too.

I guess I just don't get it. Did France make it too expensive for them to attend? Folks over there love them some foosball. They literally beat the shit out of each other and set businesses on fire. But no country spirit?

I guarantee Arrowhead will be sold out for every World Cup game.

Olympic soccer is an afterthought, men's soccer is basically an under 23 tournament. World Cup is more important.

Afterthought for fans, or the players, or both? The chance of winning a medal for my country would be tops for me if I was one of those athletes.

I guess I just don't get it. Did France make it too expensive for them to attend? Folks over there love them some foosball. They literally beat the shit out of each other and set businesses on fire. But no country spirit?

I guarantee Arrowhead will be sold out for every World Cup game.

Olympics aren't viewed as the same level of prestige as the World Cup or even the Euro. It really hurts having only u23 squads for men.

Afterthought for fans, or the players, or both? The chance of winning a medal for my country would be tops for me if I was one of those athletes.

Definitely not for the players, but if the men's World Cup started today, probably none of the players that were in the Olympics would be in that squad. There are some of them that are promising that will be regulars in the future. Men's Olympic soccer only has 16 teams compared to 32 in the last World Cup. It's also "not on the FIFA calendar" so clubs aren't obligated to release their players for the Olympics.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
When Hocker got cut off going to the inside coming around the final turn and lost momentum I figured he was cooked, but he maintained his composure stayed right behind and when Ingridbritsen drifted out to make it harder for his UK rival to pass he ducked inside to run away with the Gold. And, 1 more step and this would have been USA 1-2.

If you watched it, it was 8 on 5.
I only watched the third quarter, and it seemed like it was just 5 on 5. Refs didn't seem to exist. Missed two out of bounds calls that were obviously out on CAD. Slightly more contact than a rugby match with no fouls called. I did notice that the halftime stats France had a huge discrepancy in FTs shot so I will trust your take on the rest of the game.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT