ADVERTISEMENT

Would you miss the Olympics if they went away for good?

Enjoyed watching them as a kid. As I get older it seems pretty pointless and like a giant waste of money.
I’m sure the olympians enjoy the sexy time though and would miss that.

Like most I like certain events in both Olympics but I wouldn't miss it overall. Besides the event I like it's either background noise or I'm not watching it all

Enjoyed watching them as a kid. As I get older it seems pretty pointless and like a giant waste of money.
I’m sure the olympians enjoy the sexy time though and would miss that.
Ah yes, the #10; the olympics are now for the olympians rather than "the youth of the world"

I'm not into them anything like I used to be. Boxing was must watch and of course Michael Phelps was great to watch. I used to try to watch as much of the men's basketball as possible, but don't care too much about that now, highlights are fine. A little track here and there. My wife is a big gymnastics fan and loves Simone Biles so I'm sure we will see quite a bit of that. Agree that if Caitlin was playing, we would watch the women depending on the times they play, but don't plan to watch any now.

Ah yes, the #10; the olympics are now for the olympians rather than "the youth of the world"
Ah yes. Here I am just sharing my opinion about the Olympics as the op asked and yet in your opinion I must have answered the question that doesn’t have a true answer, incorrectly.
This board is now, your opinion is wrong rather than share your opinion.

I never understand this. The winter games are MUCH more fun to watch and yet the summer games are MUCH more popular. I know people are different but it's just one of those things.

And to the op, yes. I love the Olympics. I have youtube tv this year so it gave me a chance to add certain sports to my library. I have a feeling ill watch more this year than I have in a long time.
Summer has the better athletes. 100 yard dash is much more exhilarating to watch than some janitor sweeping a curling rock down the ice.

I'd miss them; as someone else said, it's cool to see fringe sports and/or sports I don't normally watch get center stage every now & then. It's especially good when they fall in the dead time of sports, when hoops/hockey are done, football hasn't started, and baseball's at the point where if your team sucks they're out of it but if they're good it's not close enough to the end of the season to worry too much.

That said, I don't watch as much as I used to; it was far more appealing in the pre-internet days when you didn't know who'd won the event that happened 8 hours before you were watching the recorded version of it.

Side note, I have buddy who won a Gold as a member of the US 4x400 at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta; I coached his son in LL Baseball for a few years.

I enjoy them. We will have them on for a few hours most nights unless it’s a sport I don’t give a shit about. I do really hate the modern broadcast method of only showing sports we medal in.
Peacock Network man. Sign up and you'll get all the sports.
Peacock GIF by Nat Geo Wild

I'm ambivalent. I don't plan my day around the Olympics but if it's on and I don't have anything going I'll watch. I do like the TF sprints up to the 400. Will try to watch Spencer Lee. Other than that....

Reactions: EagleHawk
Reasons I don't like the olympics any more (in no particular order):
1. Addition of phony sports
2. Kowtowing to/bribery of tin pot third world dictators' relatives as part of selection process
3. Network presentation is so packaged as to have just become a(n American) highlight show.
4. Professional basketball players, hockey players, golfers, and cyclists
5. Network pimping of American athletes who clearly are not good enough to medal, as if they were (though I do sort of enjoy it then when they predictably lose)
6. The 50k walk.
7. Predominance of sports with judges
8. The Flying Butthead (winter)
9. Not nearly enough track cycling and wrestling.

About the only thing truly worth a damn is women's biathlon.
Only qualms with this list is that the Olympic hockey tournament is one of the best sports competitions in the world when NHL players are in it, and distance track and cycling do nothing for me.

One of my greatest sports disappointments is Chicago losing out on hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics. If I resided in Chicago, probably would have a different opinion.

Just glad they settled for hosting the World Series that year.

Ah yes. Here I am just sharing my opinion about the Olympics as the op asked and yet in your opinion I must have answered the question that doesn’t have a true answer, incorrectly.
This board is now, your opinion is wrong rather than share your opinion.
You're reading comprehension is terrible, which is on brand for you. He was agreeing with you. What a snowflake.

Seems like a tremendous waste of money for the host cities and I watch very little of them these days. If these were the last Olympics I wouldn’t miss them.

How about you?

I think it's a nice thing to see but not a huge deal.

My thought is that perhaps they should have a permanent host city so that the facilities can be re-used instead of a city building all the facilities for just one competition.

Seems like a tremendous waste of money for the host cities and I watch very little of them these days. If these were the last Olympics I wouldn’t miss them.

How about you?
The Olympics are brilliant! They should be held every year. Or at least every 2 years.

My favorite sporting event.

Watching the Olympics is it's own workout. Despite being a total couch potato for the duration, I'm fitter at the end than the beginning. Not kidding.

Don’t watch, don’t care. Even during the Phelps thing, I wanted to be excited about the hype…but at the end of the day it was swimming. Meh.

Also- thank you for a non political thread

Reactions: Moral
Most sporting tourneys require some familiarity with the events and the competitors. And while those things add to the Olympics, too, they aren't necessary to get fully caught up in the performances.

By contrast, for example, while I love March Madness, I don't try to watch all the games and may tune out completely when UNC and the other couple teams I like are sidelined. Whereas I may root for the Americans, I don't really care all that much. I get absorbed by the skills on display.

Seems like a tremendous waste of money for the host cities
I think the "world" should agree to construct several permanent, purpose-built Olympic sites around the world and just rotate the games among them.

We should also plan for climate change. Some day it may make sense to hold the Summer Games in places like Australia (where it's winter in July) to ensure temperate conditions. Maybe Greenland for the Winter Games?

Reactions: EagleHawk
I think the "world" should agree to construct several permanent, purpose-built Olympic sites around the world and just rotate the games among them.

We should also plan for climate change. Some day it may make sense to hold the Summer Games in places like Australia (where it's winter in July) to ensure temperate conditions. Maybe Greenland for the Winter Games?
Agree on the set locations. Maybe an Asian, European, and American time zone host so that each area gets to have an Olympics every 12 years in 'their' time.

I don't even know when it starts or where it is this year. Maybe next year.

As a diehard wrestling fan, I definitely would. This is the pinnacle of our sport. We're actually going to Paris this year to watch the days when Spencer wrestles. I've always been into the whole production, even if it's corrupt and political a lot of the time.

I really, really should have gone to watch Spencer. I’m friends with the US team leader and could have had a great experience. I just didn’t pull the trigger because too many other trips already planned. If he wins gold I will be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT