ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson / Dallas Wings Finish their Season at 10 Wins, 24 Losses (T-2nd worst WNBA Record)

There were two Dallas possessions in the 2nd quarter where I heard the Dallas coach yelling "Megan" with the implication that she wasn't where she was supposed to be. She was down low and they apparently wanted her out high. Within a minute or so of the second one, she came out and never got back in.
i was thinking the same thing; you could hear "Megan" loud & clear during the broadcast; MG was not where she was supposed to be defensively; ironically I think Dallas scored on that possession; nevertheless at the next dead ball she got benched & did not play the rest of the 2nd qtr and the entire 2nd half

Dallas trails NY 38-33.

Megan's stats:
6 minutes (of possible 20)
3 points
1-2 FGs
1-1 FTs
4 Rebounds (2 offensive)

Dallas' leading scorer is Plaisance, a forward:
13 min
10 points
4-4 FGs
2-2 3 pointers
4 defensive rebounds
1 assist

Dallas loses a tough one, 69-68.

Ogunbowale plays 31 minutes, is 2-23 (10%) from the field (both were 3 pointers), 4-4 on FTs for 10 points.

Megan plays ONE MINUTE of the possible 20 in the 2nd half, makes a nice move down low, makes the shot, gets fouled, makes the FT and gets benched the rest of the game.

Watch that move/basket:

Megan's stats:
7 minutes (of possible 40)
6 points
2-3 FGs
2-2 FTs
4 Rebounds (2 offensive)

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Dallas loses a tough one, 69-68.

Ogunbowale plays 31 minutes, is 2-23 (10%) from the field (both were 3 pointers), 4-4 on FTs for 10 points.

Megan plays ONE MINUTE in the 2nd half, makes a nice move down low, makes the shot, gets fouled, makes the FT and gets benched the rest of the game.

Megan's stats:
7 minutes (of possible 40)
6 points
2-3 FGs
2-2 FTs
4 Rebounds (2 offensive)

Is she struggling at the defensive end?

Is she struggling at the defensive end?
nothing that stands out

offensively, she is still more comfortable down low with her back to the basket & she is very effective; if they gave her a chance, she would do her patented seal the defender who is fronting her, the ball gets lobbed to her & she makes the easy bucket; she also has those patented spin moves that are hard to defend; but it seems like Dallas does not want to play that way; a lot of times MG is at the top setting screens and then rolling, where she never gets the ball when they are running that

Reactions: BGHAWK
Tonight was "Gay Pride" night in New York. You would think that would generate a good turn out.

Personally, I always find it interesting where the WNBA teams play. The Minnesota Lynx play at 19,000 seat Target Center, the home of the NBA Timberwolves. Similarly, I thought the New York Liberty might play in a large arena, if not Madison Square Garden.

Well, they play at the Westchester County Center, located in White Plains, NY. Capacity is just 5,000. Attendance (tickets sold & distributed) tonight was just 2,191. Yikes!

Not from what I’ve seen. Dallas has scored and rebounded more when she is in the game. They were 0-5 without her, 3-2 with her with the two losses by a point each. If she doesn’t get more time, her coach is over-thinking it.

She is struggling at both ends of the floor right now. Hopefully she will adapt and get more in tune with what they want.

Tonight was "Gay Pride" night in New York. You would think that would generate a good turn out.

Personally, I always find it interesting where the WNBA teams play. The Minnesota Lynx play at 19,000 seat Target Center, the home of the NBA Timberwolves. Similarly, I thought the New York Liberty might play in a large arena, if not Madison Square Garden.

Well, they play at the Westchester County Center, located in White Plains, NY. Capacity is just 5,000. Attendance (tickets sold & distributed) tonight was just 2,191. Yikes!
The Liberty did play at MSG for years, but the Knicks owner decided last season to move them to West Chester. He had them up for sale for the last two years and they now finally have a new owner. He happens to be one of the owners of the Nets, so the Liberty remain in NYC. They’ll continue to play at West Chester for this season and we’ll see what happens next season, but they’ll definitely play some games at Barclays. Not going to find many people driving out to White Plains for games. The move has really affected the Liberty’s attendance.

Reactions: Franisdaman
She is struggling at both ends of the floor right now. Hopefully she will adapt and get more in tune with what they want.

Why did Dallas draft her if they don't want her playing in the low post, her natural game. Every team in the WNBA decided she couldn't compete there at only 6-3, but in the brief stints she has gotten in games she has shown she can score. So she can't chase guards around the perimeter. Maybe she shouldn't need to. When the Wings' injured players come back, I could see Dallas cutting her and some other team picking Megan up where she could fit better with what they want.

The Wings play Minnesota this afternoon, and it is on Fox Sports North Plus, which is available on my YouTube TV.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Not on offense.
when they allow her to post up down low, she does fine; when they have her up high, setting screens, it just doesn't seem to be effective because they never give her the ball; not sure if they have ever pick and popped (where MG sets the screen, the guard passes it back, MG shoots a jumper)

MG has shot 2 jumpers so far, that I recall; one was a missed 3 pointer; the other was a 17 footer, which she made

I think the biggest thing right now is MG is trying to adjust to the speed and athleticism of the game

Reactions: BGHAWK
I realize Ogunbowale is their best player but, as you will read, in their last game she missed her first 10 shots and finished 2 for 23 overall -- the worst performance of any player in WNBA history with at least 20 shots attempted according to STATS.

Also, down by 1 point at the end of the last game, all Dallas needed was a 2 point FG to win the game. Ogunbowale, however, first hoisted up a 3 and missed. Then she attempted a 2 point jump shot and missed.

Also, as you will read, Dallas is short handed today.

Lynx-Wings Preview

The Dallas Wings need rookie Arike Ogunbowale to have a short memory as they try to end a 12-game losing streak to the Minnesota Lynx on Sunday.

The fifth overall pick in the WNBA draft, Ogunbowale has experienced the highest of highs and lowest of lows in her last two games. After a 27-point effort in a 74-73 victory over the Connecticut Sun in which she made 10 of 17 shots, she had a horrific shooting performance Friday in Dallas' 69-68 loss at New York.

Ogunbowale missed her first 10 shots and finished 2 for 23 overall -- the worst performance of any player in WNBA history with at least 20 shots attempted according to STATS. She missed a pair of potential game-winning shots in the final six seconds as the Wings (3-7) were denied their fourth win in five games after an 0-5 start.

"Nothing you can do about that, that's tough," Ogunbowale told The Associated Press. "Shots didn't fall."

The off night for Ogunbowale is a microcosm of Dallas' struggles offensively. The Wings are the only team in the league averaging below 70 points (68.7) and are also last in overall shooting percentage (36.8) and 3-point shooting percentage (26.8).

Theresa Plaisance provided a spark with 12 points and 10 rebounds, and she may have to do more on both ends of the court if center Isabelle Harrison is unable to shake off an ankle injury suffered late in Friday's loss. Harrison had been helping Dallas compensate for the absence of Glory Johnson, who is representing Montenegro at the EuroBasket tournament in Serbia.

The Wings have yet to beat Minnesota since relocating from Tulsa after the 2015 season, losing all 10 games by an average of 12.3 points. They have lost 12 straight to the Lynx since an 86-78 victory June 21, 2015, but the last four defeats have all been by single digits.

Minnesota (6-5) appears to have righted itself with back-to-back wins on the heels of a four-game losing streak. The Lynx recovered from blowing a 22-point second-half lead Tuesday night to win 78-74 at Indiana as Damiris Dantas hit a pair of 3-pointers in a 10-0 fourth-quarter burst to re-establish control.

Odyssey Sims scored 25 points to pace Minnesota, but the guard could face league disciplinary measures at some point following her June 6 arrest on suspicion of drunken driving. Sims, who is averaging 15.2 points and 4.9 assists in her first season with the Lynx after being acquired from the Las Vegas Aces in the offseason, is scheduled to have a court hearing July 16.

"I'd like to apologize on behalf of Glen (Taylor, the Lynx owner), Cheryl Reeve and this organization," Sims said in a brief statement after practice Thursday. "I take full responsibility for my actions. I know the consequences. And I'm going to get past it, move forward, continue to play hard every day, day-in and day-out. And get over it, eventually."

Minnesota, which has split its four road games thus far, plays four of its next five games outside the Target Center.

Dantas scored 20 points while Sylvia Fowles added 19 and 12 rebounds as Minnesota hung on for a 70-67 victory at Dallas on June 1. Ogunbowale scored 11 points but was 5 of 13 from the field as the Wings shot 37.5 percent.

Why did Dallas draft her if they don't want her playing in the low post, her natural game. Every team in the WNBA decided she couldn't compete there at only 6-3, but in the brief stints she has gotten in games she has shown she can score. So she can't chase guards around the perimeter. Maybe she shouldn't need to. When the Wings' injured players come back, I could see Dallas cutting her and some other team picking Megan up where she could fit better with what they want.
I hope the Lynx find room for her; I would love to see her play with the Lynx's big, Sylvia Fowles

Not from what I’ve seen. Dallas has scored and rebounded more when she is in the game. They were 0-5 without her, 3-2 with her with the two losses by a point each. If she doesn’t get more time, her coach is over-thinking it.
And MG is battling HARD for those offensive & defensive rebounds

I don't get it; she is averaging a point for every minute she plays yet only plays 7 minutes in the last game?

On defense, it's not like when you watch her, you say, "wow, she just doesn't belong."

She belongs. But not sitting on the bench for 33 of the 40 minutes.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
She might have a fan club there today. Only a 200-mile bus trip from Port Wing and not that inconvenient from Iowa City.

when they allow her to post up down low, she does fine; when they have her up high, setting screens, it just doesn't seem to be effective because they never give her the ball; not sure if they have ever pick and popped (where MG sets the screen, the guard passes it back, MG shoots a jumper)

MG has shot 2 jumpers so far, that I recall; one was a missed 3 pointer; the other was a 17 footer, which she made

I think the biggest thing right now is MG is trying to adjust to the speed and athleticism of the game

I have watched a couple of games where she actually played, and saw her open and ask for the ball and it wasn't thrown to her but instead was thrown out of play, turnover, so i find it hard to understand why anyone thinks she has struggled on offense, without any explanation.

I have watched a couple of games where she actually played, and saw her open and ask for the ball and it wasn't thrown to her but instead was thrown out of play, turnover, so i find it hard to understand why anyone thinks she has struggled on offense, without any explanation.
i honestly wonder if there are chemistry issues where they would rather not pass her the ball; obviously, i am only speculating but watch today and see if you see what i feel ;)

Megan played the last 3 minutes of the 1st qtr.

Her stats:
2 defensive rebounds
1 assist (on a 3 point shot)
0 points (no shot attempts)

In those opening 2 minutes of the 2nd qtr, Megan was wide open down low & they either missed her or simply refused to throw her the ball; I don't get it

MG plays just the opening 2 minutes of the 2nd qtr, goes to the bench & the Lynx's lead quickly increases from 2 to 8

Coincidence? I think not ;)

Reactions: mphawk
I'm still struggling with whether the Wings are "my team" or I want their starters to suck. Beginning to get a couple of favorites, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT