ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise Players

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Give me your top 4 surprise Hawks for this years team. Maybe some guys that haven't gotten a chance, are young, ect ....that might breakthrough and be huge contributors this year.

1) Brandon Smith- This might be wishful thinking but from everything I have heard, the kid can play and getting him on the field some last year might pay huge dividends this year. Very athletic and in a position we need production from. Time is now for him.

2) Ryan Gersonde- I know punting was at best, poor last year. I think he has the talent to turn into a very good BIG10 punter if he can stay healthy. A very important position for our style of football so there will be a lot of pressure on him this spring/fall.

3) Kristen Welch- Think he is almost a JJ clone in how he plays. Huge position of need with a lot of question marks. Think he is athletic enough to lock that spot down and hopefully some of Jewell's study habits rubbed off on him.

4) Garrett Jensen- He didnt get a lot of time on the field last year but got more as the season progressed. When he did get in he was actually really disruptive. From his limited game action, he had a very good push, size, and quickness that spot needs to be effective. Couple that with Lattimore's underachieving career so far, he is my last breakthrough. Again, a position of high importance and low proven depth. I look for Reiff to do some good things at the DT spot also. They are going to need all of them and hopefully Lattimore takes a big step forward as well.

1) Amani Jones
2) Groeneweg at WR
3) Reiff - why bet against anyone with that last name who was also a wrestling champion?
4) Weiting - nice article about him yesterday.

Reactions: Hawkdome and nu2u
I think Tracy will come in and make some noise within the WR group. He'll be a pleasant surprise.
Toren Young becomes the punishing yet nifty back we've been missing since Shonn Greene. (Not saying he will have Shonns numbers from 08) I know this is not going to be all that surprising.
I've been High on Welch too so I was surprised to see him not listed as a starter at LB. I know its spring and all, but he seems like he could be pretty good.
Finally, Golson starts to turn heads on the D line. Maybe in nascar package and other situations.

I know that this will get skewered, but Brandon S looks like Tarzan and plays like a receiver who can’t get open.

Well a little unfair. He brings the house on the run and plays it extremely well. A facet that I think we are going to need from our safeties this year with our lack of experience at DT and LB.

He does seem to struggle in some coverage schemes and pure athletic ability is not his strong suit. I personally think Hooker is the better player with more upside to make game changing plays but Snyder might be more consistent.

Well a little unfair. He brings the house on the run and plays it extremely well. A facet that I think we are going to need from our safeties this year with our lack of experience at DT and LB.

He does seem to struggle in some coverage schemes and pure athletic ability is not his strong suit. I personally think Hooker is the better player with more upside to make game changing plays but Snyder might be more consistent.
I think he was talking about Brandon Smith the WR on this.

Not to bag on the guy but could someone explain to me where all the Welch love or intrigue comes from? I remember watching a little of his high school film and remember thinking he seemed to tall and stiff to play middle linebacker. I'm obviously no scout though and perhaps he has been looking good in practice. I know he played quite a bit in the Nebraska game but I missed a lot of that one.

Smith

Yea you are going to get skewered....where are you getting your information on Brandon? We got a guy in the lounge who attends practices, very close to the program and the one practice he attended said Brandon looked fantastic....still a freshman too but will soon be a sophomore ....which is a very good thing. A little rope here should be a given.

Yea you are going to get skewered....where are you getting your information on Brandon? We got a guy in the lounge who attends practices, very close to the program and the one practice he attended said Brandon looked fantastic....still a freshman too but will soon be a sophomore ....which is a very good thing. A little rope here should be a given.
Yeah, it's unfair to judge Brandon Smith too early yet - it's pretty common for successful WRs to not necessarily make a big splash their freshman year. For example, neither Maurice Brown or Tevaun Smith had many receptions as freshmen ... and yet they both had very solid careers for the Hawks.

Of course, I'd also recommend measuring expectations concerning Brandon too ... because there's no need for undue pressure to be heaped on the young man either.

My 5............

Ivory Kelly-Martin
Trey Creamer
Aaron Mends
Dalton Ferguson
Kyle Groenwoegxyz. (we will know his name well very soon)/

Also ---------Honorable mention: Max Cooper, Drew Cook, Shaun Beyer

What comprises a "surprise player?" If the individual already has had starts and/or is listed as a current starter ... shouldn't it be expected for them to play well AND/OR contribute to the team to a great extent?

Thus, for a player to truly surprise, shouldn't it be a little harder to forecast the extent of their contributions?

To that end, here are some of my guesses ....

- injuries happen ... enter Bryan at RB

- even though he was a contributor last year ... Stone still will likely enter the '18 season as our #3 or #4 safety. My guess is that we'll see him contribute a ton anyhow. Phil likes his safeties ... they'll contribute!

- between the possibility of injuries AND the graduation of Pekar ... I look to see Beyer continue to emerge at TE. Given what Brian can do with a 3-TE personnel comprised of Fant, Beyer, and Hockenson ... it can range from jumbo personnel (power running look) to an empty back-field (pass-only look). Consequently, I think that Beyer may contribute far more than many of us might presume.

- WR always remains a spot where newer guys might emerge. While an odds on favorite to make an impact might be Tyrone Tracy ... I think either Cooper or Ragaini are guys who might surprise (there's something to be said for having a chip on your shoulder ... playing with an edge can give an "edge").

Jovon Johnson suggests that Terry Roberts may surprise this year and be one of the 2 freshman db's Parker plans to play in 18.
Great share, Harb! Roberts is a kid I've already noted as one to watch for ... kinda fits the profile of Iowa's successful DBs who had great ball skills in high school (Jovon being one of them, incidentally).

Reviewing the surprise players, looks like I'm about the only one who picked-out Max Coopers YUUUUUuuuuge Night at IOWA Scimmage.

GO HAWKS :)

Would not be surprised to see Drew Cook entering the mix this season.

Max Cooper reminds me of Vandeberg when he first played. Just looks like one solid hit would snap him in half.

Amani Jones would be my pick for best new starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT