ADVERTISEMENT

Susan Collins Says Appointment Should Wait

Mar 14, 2003
Welp that's two with her and Murkowski. I'm sure Mitt will say the same thing eventually.

May be headed to a 50-50 Senate vote if there is one.

Welp that's two with her and Murkowski. I'm sure Mitt will say the same thing eventually.

Tbh, I think they should follow the Constitution. I disagreed with the Republicans in 2016 and I take the same stance today. It is the job of the sitting president to nominate a SCJ.

The fact that Moscow Mitch is a hypocritical piece of shit is irrelevant.

Reactions: BubsFinn
I'm with BnG on this. I see no Constitutional conflict for a sitting president to nominate a Justice, no matter how much time is left in their term. It didn't make sense in 2016 and it doesn't make sense now.

Reactions: UKGrad93

She knows if she has to spend the next month in hearings, her re-election chances are shot.

Doubt she has much hope, anyway, but if she's able to campaign she probably still runs a chance of retaining her seat.

Reactions: MitchLL
I'm with BnG on this. I see no Constitutional conflict for a sitting president to nominate a Justice, no matter how much time is left in their term. It didn't make sense in 2016 and it doesn't make sense now.

Well, the precedent was "set" in 2016.

That was actually poor precedent, as there was ample time to hold hearings and vote.
45 days until the election isn't remotely close to the same situation. A 2-3 month "freeze", regardless of other precedents/examples would make a lot of sense.

But 45 days? During a pandemic and election year when Congress needs to be focused on quite a few "hot" issues? That's sheer folly.

Well, the precedent was "set" in 2016.

That was actually poor precedent, as there was ample time to hold hearings and vote.
45 days until the election isn't remotely close to the same situation. A 2-3 month "freeze", regardless of other precedents/examples would make a lot of sense.

But 45 days? During a pandemic and election year when Congress needs to be focused on quite a few "hot" issues? That's sheer folly.
Nothing says a nominee has to be confirmed before the president leaves office. The confirmation process can proceed and finish regardless. Hell, we should probably want it to happen more often than it does because it would force a president to nominate someone both sides can agree on.
Bad precedent shouldn't have to be followed.

Tbh, I think they should follow the Constitution. I disagreed with the Republicans in 2016 and I take the same stance today. It is the job of the sitting president to nominate a SCJ.

I don't mind the idea but the length of time imposed by Mitch against Obama's nominee was too long.

I would say the line should be sometime around July.

Quite frankly I wouldn't mind if we changed the constitution and gave SCOTUS justices something like a 12 year term that could be renewed via renomination and confirmation. If a death in office the president can nominate someone to fill out that term.

We should honestly brainstorm ways to make court nominations less political...

Reactions: Moral and mstp1992
I don't mind the idea but the length of time imposed by Mitch against Obama's nominee was too long.

I would say the line should be sometime around July.

Quite frankly I wouldn't mind if we changed the constitution and gave SCOTUS justices something like a 12 year term that could be renewed via renomination and confirmation. If a death in office the president can nominate someone to fill out that term.

We should honestly brainstorm ways to make court nominations less political...

Maybe running them through both chambers could help. It might drag on a bit longer but as the House and Senate stand now they would have to find someone who isn't partisan.

Reactions: mstp1992
Maybe running them through both chambers could help. It might drag on a bit longer but as the House and Senate stand now they would have to find someone who isn't partisan.
I had that thought but my fear is their ability to agree on a nominee would be about the same as their ability to consistently pass budgets.

Honestly the biggest thing is we have got to work out comprises in congress better. I feel like part of the problem is that we can't solve our own political issues and so we in a sense force the courts to solve them.

Reactions: UKGrad93 and Moral
Just because something is constitutional, doesn't mean it should happen. The president cheating on his wife is constitutional. But nobody should support him doing so.

Just because something is constitutional, doesn't mean it should happen. The president cheating on his wife is constitutional. But nobody should support him doing so.

sheneman-stormyjpg-5563666d4bb56d06.jpg

She knows if she has to spend the next month in hearings, her re-election chances are shot.

Doubt she has much hope, anyway, but if she's able to campaign she probably still runs a chance of retaining her seat.
Collins isn't making up 8-10 points in six weeks.

It is funny listening to someone desperate, tho.

I didn’t like the Senate, namely Mitch and the rest of the Republicans not giving Obama’s selection an up or down vote in 2016. That was wrong as they had the Senate majority and could of voted no to him being on the Supreme Court.

In readings from previous election year Supreme Court nominations the precedence is when a president doesn’t have the majority of the Senate to pass his selection, it doesn’t happen but when a president does have the majority of the senate, his pick does get the up or down vote, then seated. This is why Republicans are moving forward with this vote.

Based off of what Mitch said in 2016, he is a hypocrite by saying they shouldn’t seat a Supreme Court nominee in an election year. He should of said the above regarding majority vs minority in the senate with regards to the president and his political affiliation but he isn’t the most tactful person in the world and loves to own the Democrats when given the chance which is wrong. We need both parties being more centered and working together.

Reactions: mstp1992
In readings from previous election year Supreme Court nominations the precedence is when a president doesn’t have the majority of the Senate to pass his selection, it doesn’t happen but when a president does have the majority of the senate, his pick does get the up or down vote, then seated.

This is wrong. The democratic Senate approved Reagan's nominee in an election year, 1988.

And Collins is only saying this because Cocaine Mitch has the other votes. If her vote was really needed to confirm, she would vote yes - as we all know.

Reactions: Joes Place
This is wrong. The democratic Senate approved Reagan's nominee in an election year, 1988.

That’s an outlier of what has happened in election year appointments when the President and Senate are from the same party.

Also, that was a time and place when civility in politics was the norm and not the exception. The Democrats and Republicans are all too busy trying to crap all over the other party these days. Sad.

I didn’t like the Senate, namely Mitch and the rest of the Republicans not giving Obama’s selection an up or down vote in 2016. That was wrong as they had the Senate majority and could of voted no to him being on the Supreme Court.

In readings from previous election year Supreme Court nominations the precedence is when a president doesn’t have the majority of the Senate to pass his selection, it doesn’t happen but when a president does have the majority of the senate, his pick does get the up or down vote, then seated. This is why Republicans are moving forward with this vote.

Based off of what Mitch said in 2016, he is a hypocrite by saying they shouldn’t seat a Supreme Court nominee in an election year. He should of said the above regarding majority vs minority in the senate with regards to the president and his political affiliation but he isn’t the most tactful person in the world and loves to own the Democrats when given the chance which is wrong. We need both parties being more centered and working together.
Mitch shirked his duties even under these standards. He didn't even hold a vote. The opposite party can certainly vote down any pick they don't like, but to ignore the whole process and do nothing, is abandoning their obligations.

That’s an outlier of what has happened in election year appointments when the President and Senate are from the same party.

Also, that was a time and place when civility in politics was the norm and not the exception. The Democrats and Republicans are all too busy trying to crap all over the other party these days. Sad.
And where was the civility in not even holding a vote? It is the Senate's job to confirm or not confirm justices, not pretend they don't even exist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT