ADVERTISEMENT

SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Interview. 20% of SWARM Beer SALES & 25% of Vodka SALES goes to SWARM. Says they need 10,000+ paying members; they're @ 1,800

Look I am glad you are a huge Hawkeye fan, I also agree that we can see some positive results. However, as an accountant sooner or later this will have to become a business. There will be overhead there will be expenses, there will be audits and there will have to be lots of controls. This is still a bit of the wild west. Good luck.
You say you are an accountant but you don't sound like one. It's already a business: a not-for-profit business.
So it already has reporting requirments Of course there are overhead and other expenses. The evaluation down the line will be the % of total revenue that is disbursed for stated purposes. That number will be skewed initially because of startup costs (legal fees, promotion expenses, etc).

With his cash contribution plus travel and other expenses, and the fair market value of his time spent constructing the organization, communicating with all stakeholders (coaches, fans, media), I'm guessing that his personal contribution is currently approaching a $ 1/4 million

We are very lucky to have him.

That's pretty harsh; I don't think Brad is a con man.

However, I have said this before; I predict there will eventually be a huge embezzlement scandal involving a school's collective. There's a a lot of money flowing into collectives across the country and someone's hand is going to get caught in the cookie jar.

Just look at Iowa. If he gets 10,000 people paying $20/month, that's $200,000 per month.
That's not a very risky prediction. Someplace, at some point, that will happen. It has in every single indutry.

I have not checked out the SWARM website; Brad lives in Florida so I don't know what expenses he has and whether he gets reimbursed for them....

that's why I think there's going to eventually be an embezzlement scandal somewhere. Fans are paying in but not sure what, if any, controls are in place
I have not sought reimbursement for any expenses yet. My two employees are a different story. When Scott goes to visit a donor he files an expense report.

Im not doubting that there could be some improprieties involving a collective that are uncovered at some point. But why would I jeopardize my reputation when I am collecting zero pay and spending thousands of hours?

Guys, I just want the Hawks to win and hopefully benefit the community along the way.

You don’t have to support us if you don’t want to. Im not begging anybody, because that isn’t my style. But I promise you that until the rules change, the schools with the best NIL collectives will get the best players and emerge victorious.
Look under the hood....I like that.

Yeah I really don’t have anything to hide and want everybody to know what is going on…

Hey @Tx_Hawk Will the Swarm Collective ever include wrestling? The reason I am asking this is because I want to donate to the Inner Circle and also want to donate to the Swarm but really don't want to do both. It is one or the other for me. decisions decisions...

Well I would argue that both options are very worthy causes. I don’t want to compete…I would just suggest that you follow your heart as far as where your dollars will make you happiest.

Wrestling wants to do their own thing, which I totally respect.

Go Hawks!

Appreciate what you do Brad, and my apologies for the random idiots on here who are trying to mischaracterize what you are doing for Iowa through the NIL program.

You've probably been asked this before, but do you think that eventually (hopefully sooner than later) we'll see true reforms to the Wild West landscape that NIL is currently? I personally think it's inevitable, but I don't think it will be coming from the NCAA. The member schools (whether it be presidents, ADs, governing boards, etc.) are the more likely source of reform and placing some kind of guiderails on the whole mess. Such a sticky wicket.

And to those that choose to not support The Swarm, that's fine and your own personal decision, but you'll have no meaningful basis to complain if our competitiveness in athletics slip. None.

Changes will occur. To what extent nobody knows. It seems as if the logical option would be to make athletes employees. And if that happens, the athletes will unionize, and that will be something to behold…..

Changes will occur. To what extent nobody knows. It seems as if the logical option would be to make athletes employees. And if that happens, the athletes will unionize, and that will be something to behold…..
Then we will have completely lost the "student" part of the athlete and we can close up shop. THey can just go from HS to the semi-professional or NFL and be done. I'll go watch D1AA games until they get corrupted by greed.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
What division do you believe Iowa would be electing to participate in?
At only 1800 members Iowa wouldn't qualify as an NIL school.

I am beyond embarrassed that a State which considers itself the "Hawkeye State" doesn't currently have at least 25,000 Swarm Members.

This is beyond embarrassing to hear we have 1800 members.

the athletes will unionize, and that will be something to behold…..
albundy-bundy.gif

At only 1800 members Iowa wouldn't qualify as an NIL school.

I am beyond embarrassed that a State which considers itself the "Hawkeye State" doesn't currently have at least 25,000 Swarm Members.

This is beyond embarrassing to hear we have 1800 members.
Priorities. "I can give to athletes that are already being given a free education" or "In this absolute shite hole economy, I can hang onto my money, build a savings, maybe take the family on a vacation".

Guessing most will opt for the latter.

Maybe SWARM needs to go after the x players and ask them all to donate to the place that got them rich? "Turn around and help the next guy in line". There are at least a few dozen that could part with a good 6 figure donation.

Oh and if you are that embarrassed, by all means the clones need more fans.

Priorities. "I can give to athletes that are already being given a free education" or "In this absolute shite hole economy, I can hang onto my money, build a savings, maybe take the family on a vacation".

Maybe SWARM needs to go after the x players and ask them all to donate to the place that got them rich? "Turn around and help the next guy in line". There are at least a few dozen that could part with a good 6 figure donation.

You don’t go to any concerts or sporting events? Or movies?

Reactions: Section25
You don’t go to any concerts or sporting events? Or movies?
I do, i pick and choose. I am saying that there are a lot of people hurting right now, a ticket to a game anymore for a family of 4, snacks, parking, etc can be astronomical. Hell, the D1AA championship game was 120 a ticket (if you knew someone), and that was a great venue (with lots of local players playing).

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
If I’m going to be kept for 3 hours of questions on a Friday night, I’m gonna have a drink on…..

One thing I have learned about Brad is that you cannot buy beer around him :)

I drank a bunch of his beer, where buying it wasn't cheap....tried to throw in some money in when he wasn't around and his friends he was with was like, that is not happening....he won't take it.

I'm confused here. I thought NIL allowed athletes to get money by doing an ad for Kwik Star or getting paid for an autograph session at Scheels. Is this collective brokering these deals or just handing out bags of money?
They organize events and meet and greets, and in return student athletes are paid for their participation. So it's not like they're doing nothing.

Reactions: Franisdaman
This is one of the issues that would arise in making the players employees. As employees, I think they'd be entitled to unionize. With that, imagine a month before the season starts, there's a strike, shutting down the season or at least a portion of it. It would not be out of the realm of scenarios. Lawyers for the union would be battling lawyers for the NCAA or the universities. What a joy. You don't have to like NIL, but at least the season will happen on schedule.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Exactly what I would expect also. Will the contracts then be 4 or 5 year deals? Or will the employment contracts be a series of one year deals? Will be interesting to see.

This is one of the issues that would arise in making the players employees. As employees, I think they'd be entitled to unionize. With that, imagine a month before the season starts, there's a strike, shutting down the season or at least a portion of it. It would not be out of the realm of scenarios. Lawyers for the union would be battling lawyers for the NCAA or the universities. What a joy. You don't have to like NIL, but at least the season will happen on schedule.
I would not expect that to happen any more than it does for the NFL.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
NIL money is paying for Cade and all the receivers and TEs (including Kaleb Brown), to attend a football camp this summer in California. Which is awesome.

If the NIL levels the playing field and gives us a chance to get players we couldn't have had before, I'm all for it.

Also, I think memberships will increase when the football season begins. I believe the Swarm is going to try and tailgate at Kinnick and pass out brochures, flyers, etc. Hopefully they can advertise on the jumbotron during commercial breaks too.

Last edited:
Once is one time too many for me. As I commented before, there are no perfect solutions.
Will see if somehow there is a sale of teams so the direct link to many schools gets broken. With baseball there is college baseball and minor league baseball. Usually a kid would go to college baseball to minors, but some go right from high school.

You'd think the Marshall Yandas, George Kittles, TJ Hockensons, Tristan Wirfs, etc of the world would be contributing....

I hope they are because the Iowa program sure as hell made them rich

Wait a second, are the athletes you named donating to more deserving charities and have they set up their own charities? We should find out before besmirching them.

Nailed it uihawk82. It is insane for someone to call out former athletes not donating to the swarm considering how generous they all are at supporting different charities. Many of them are involving extremely sick children or veterans with disabilities, etc. A quick google search would show you how stupid it is to call someone out for not donating to the swarm. Some need to keep things in perspective. Not telling anyone to not support the swarm, however if they choose to support a cause that they feel is more worthy of their disposable income that is their choice.

You 2 need to calm down; you both clearly overreacted to my comments.

It's a fact that the Iowa program has made a lot of players millionaires. It is clearly not insane or stupid to think that they would be contributing to SWARM. And I hope they are. That's all I said.

What is insane and what is stupid is your replies.

Reactions: kkhawk
You are right especially since we cut funds to education, meals for poor people especially kids, etc, rich people who own businesses whine and cry if they have to raise wages by 5% once a generation when wages have been stifled for decades.

The worker bees cant seem to get a few wedge issues out of their brains to vote for their own livelihoods. And you certainly know that a lot conservatives do not want to make laws that solve these wedge issues because then they lose their voters.

You know what else is insane and stupid? You bringing politics to the football forum.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1 and GHawk

It's a fact that the Iowa program has made a lot of players millionaires. It is clearly not insane or stupid to think that they would be contributing to SWARM. And I hope they are. That's all I said.

The way you first wrote it you were calling out each and every ex Iowa NFLer to donate big money to Swarm. That is what is stupid.

I dont know this for a fact but if a player like Kittle has helped raise millions for a charity that he donates to then that is great enough right there.

Guys, I just want the Hawks to win and hopefully benefit the community along the way.

You don’t have to support us if you don’t want to. Im not begging anybody, because that isn’t my style. But I promise you that until the rules change, the schools with the best NIL collectives will get the best players and emerge victorious.

Yeah I really don’t have anything to hide and want everybody to know what is going on…

and some very good football players you got, indeed.

careful, there's gonna be a couple posters on here who are about to call you insane & stupid for suggesting such a thing

NIL money is paying for Cade and all the receivers and TEs (including Kaleb Brown), to attend a football camp this summer in California. Which is awesome.

If the NIL levels the playing field and gives us a chance to get players we couldn't have had before, I'm all for it.

Also, I think memberships will increase when the football season begins. I believe the Swarm is going to try and tailgate at Kinnick and pass out brochures, flyers, etc. Hopefully they can advertise on the jumbotron during commercial breaks too.

When people get time, they should watch the video in the orig post

And if @Tx_Hawk were to advertise SWARM on the jumbotron during games, he's have to pay for it

The way you first wrote it you were calling out each and every ex Iowa NFLer to donate big money to Swarm. That is what is stupid.

I dont know this for a fact but if a player like Kittle has helped raise millions for a charity that he donates to then that is great enough right there.

I clearly did not say that they ALL needed to donate "big money."

What is stupid is that you don't see that.

Again, what follows is what I typed. Do you see "big money" anywhere????

Good grief.

You'd think the Marshall Yandas, George Kittles, TJ Hockensons, Tristan Wirfs, etc of the world would be contributing....

I hope they are because the Iowa program sure as hell made them rich

Shit hole economy? According the vast majority on this board the economy is great and getting better by the second because Joe said so.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
When people get time, they should watch the video in the orig post

And if @Tx_Hawk were to advertise SWARM on the jumbotron during games, he's have to pay for it

I watched the entire interview live when it happened.

I’m sure he would have to pay, but it may pay dividends in the end to have that many Iowa fans at once see how the Swarm could help athletics.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Right because supporting kids with disabilities is stupid. Thanks for showing who you are!

• Wow
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
careful, there's gonna be a couple posters on here who are about to call you insane & stupid for suggesting such a thing
I stand by my comment that calling someone out for not donating to the swarm but have generated millions for disabled vets and sick children is insane. You can debate my choice of words but the informal definition according to Oxford dictionary is shocking or outrageous. I could have used the synonym outrageous to state the same thing.

As for the stupid comment, please point it out and I will apologize...otherwise you just called yourself stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT