ADVERTISEMENT

Talking to your girl’s dad at Thanksgiving

My guy never even talked to my Dad on Thanksgiving until we had been married for five years.
Football always got in the way - all the way from college through the NFL years.
Didn’t matter cause my Dad loved him like a son.

Reactions: noleclone2
Wouldn’t know. My would-be FIL was dead by the time I met my wife.
My first wife’s dad was a strange fellow and we rarely made small talk. Her mom had passed when she was a child. My wife now, her dad is dead and her mom raised her from a young age. I just realized this while typing this out they both have a dead parent but opposite…..time for a scotch.

I never got to meet my FIL as he died on the table during an early version of by-pass surgery at 59 prior to me meeting wifey.
By all accounts, we would have hit it off. He was a small town guy, loved to hit the Daytona area yearly to fish, built a remote ‘camp’ up the river in Haywood County, NC to start an orchard, fish for trout in a big way for the region, and “get away” from the rigors of a family practice.
Shad was an “intelligence guy“ ( precourser to the CIA) in the WW2, survived the Battle of the Bulge, and came home saying that he never wanted to be cold again. He loved his dogs, family, and friends.
I miss him without ever knowing him, tho his eldest son was a near doppelgänger. Willie also died young, but I got to spend time with him over the years. He was a great guy, dry humor, and sharp witted as hell.
Family (even the in laws) can be incredible company.

The only thing I can spar with my FIL is farm subsidies. And he doesn't put up a fight. He is ready to retire. I'm actually blessed with my FIL

I always liked hanging around my girl’s dad on TG. That’s when we could just be guys and escape the madness and the cleanup of the festivities and just drink beer and while watching football.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT