ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale in the Portal

It may not be a majority, but I think it’s more than you’re letting on (i’m not just considering those that scream about it, but also counting those who would not an approval.)

I think a lot of it tends to be which circles you run in, and it’s going to be much less common in rural Iowa. It also has to do with age. If you’re 50+ you’ll think it’s rare. 30-50 will be split. Under 30 and it’s easily the majority...which is also an indicator that things will continue to trend that way.
I don't disagree. I do feel most sensible people in their 30s are starting to resist the mob. Hopefully more wake up.

How does this potentially reflect on the brands? The andrew long example gets brought up as a constant example of cael caring more about winning than morals from his guys. Teasdale came in with a troubled past and may potentially be guilty of equal crimes to long. Do Tom or Terry deserve any flack for wanting to bring him back? My thought is no, it's all on gavin, but since simipar topics come up here so often relating to the long situation I thought I'd at least pose the question.

Well this is a very different situation. From what I gather, Teasdale came to Iowa and stayed with the Lees months before the fall semester. He didn’t roll in out of rehab/suspension and start contributing. He was given a chance here...and it didn’t work out.

We do agree that Carl bears no responsibility for Long’s crimes.

How does this potentially reflect on the brands? The andrew long example gets brought up as a constant example of cael caring more about winning than morals from his guys. Teasdale came in with a troubled past and may potentially be guilty of equal crimes to long. Do Tom or Terry deserve any flack for wanting to bring him back? My thought is no, it's all on gavin, but since simipar topics come up here so often relating to the long situation I thought I'd at least pose the question.
Unless Tom and Terry were aware of these allegations before he came to Iowa, it doesn't reflect on them in any light.
GT was given every opportunity to succeed at Iowa (and at this point, probably PSU as well) and it's only been after he was off the roster of both teams, that these allegations surfaced.

I can't see how Tom and Terry and Cael could be held responsible, much less have any flake directed at them. You simply cannot be held accountable for every action of every kid that's on your roster. You can only be held accountable for what you do after you're aware of what they did and whether or not you A: tried to help them or B: tried to cover it.

It looks like the Iowa staff heavily leaned towards the A scenario with absolutely zero evidence of the latter. I'd say they're cutting ties with him at the perfect time.

Reactions: natchrlman
Well this is a very different situation. From what I gather, Teasdale came to Iowa and stayed with the Lees months before the fall semester. He didn’t roll in out of rehab/suspension and start contributing. He was given a chance here...and it didn’t work out.

The fact that Long was contributing and Teasdale wasn’t, seems to be simply a matter of how good each wrestler was. Not a coaching choice.

The fact that Long was contributing and Teasdale wasn’t, seems to be simply a matter of how good each wrestler was. Not a coaching choice.

Cael brought Long in for immediate points. Brands brought Teasdale in to give him an opportunity. I see those as vastly different situations. Plus, Long was sent packing for rehab, and Cael blew up the intervention.

I believe that people get into college coaching primarily to be leaders and creators of men. Full stop. As such, they must have a supreme belief in redemption in the way a parent does. I can fix this. I can help him. As an example not related to Iowa or PSU, let’s look at Chance Marstellar.

Highly rated coming out of high school but was uninvited to attend PSU so went to OSU instead. Even though he committed no crimes while there, Chance was headed in the wrong direction and they divorced inside of two years. So he heads to Lock Haven. Did Scott Moore take Chance because of the benefit to the program or because he thought he could help Chance change his path? At the time, I thought it was to benefit the program. Then Chance binges on drug and/or alcohol one night and runs naked through campus and wrestled cops on the ground. Before he even put on the singlet. Would have been easy for Moore to walk away but he didn’t. Without any guarantee that Chance would ever wrestle for the team, Moore stuck with him through the court system and through rehab and counseling and on the other side helped make a man out of a boy. That’s why these guys are coaches. To make men. Some don’t become men, but does that mean we stop trying?

To me it’s about giving help to those in need while also giving them hope for the future by not closing off what they love to do. Long failed at ISU and PSU and Teasdale failed at both Iowa and PSU. Does that mean those coaches failed those guys? No. Those wrestlers failed themselves. None of those coaches took on these guys as projects because they wanted a trophy. Projects are hard work and oftentimes your efforts go unrewarded. They wanted to help. Sometimes it works (Chance) and sometimes it doesn’t (Long, Teasdale). I remember Chance now for his redemption and not his fall. Without his coach putting his reputation on the line, I’m not sure we have that redemption story. So let’s celebrate coaches that make these good faith attempts at helping young men find the right path.

Last edited:
Cael brought Long in for immediate points. Brands brought Teasdale in to give him an opportunity. I see those as vastly different situations. Plus, Long was sent packing for rehab, and Cael blew up the intervention.
Teasdale was brought in with the thought that he would be able to contribute. The fact that he wasn’t good enough to contribute in the Iowa lineup is the difference.

It sounds like Teasdale should have been sent to rehab as well. The Brands brothers drug rehabilitation center is now 0 for 2.

Teasdale was brought in with the thought that he would be able to contribute. The fact that he wasn’t good enough to contribute in the Iowa lineup is the difference.

It sounds like Teasdale should have been sent to rehab as well. The Brands brothers drug rehabilitation center is now 0 for 2.

If you can't see the difference, that fine. I'm not interested in wasting time on this.

Rehab for weed? :confused:

Rehab for weed? :confused:
He’s been doing much more than weed.

but this does give me an opportunity to post a meme from one of my favorite movies. Although probably not w/in forum rules.

75457010.jpg

It was announced in December that Long was transferring to PSU after several run-ins with the law and being dismissed from ISU. About a month later, he made his debut.

Teasdale, after dealing with a substance abuse issue, returned to PSU. He left the program in Jan/Feb IIRC allegedly on his own accord. Several steps were taken to help him and hold him accountable at Iowa. He pissed hot for weed and ties were cut.

Long was a returning national finalist...a plug and play guy at an elite level. Teasdale had not touched the mat from the PA State tourney (March 2018) until the Luther Open in Nov 2019.

So yea...there was a big difference in known college talent level.

I agree with PSU85 in that coaches tend to believe that the closer a guy is to training everyday and surrounded by good teammates, the better off they are. But I do think Brands has been through this situation enough to develop a trust but verify attitude...they give guys a chance and the tools to be better but that's about it. Now, had Teasdale came into the Iowa room, whupped Desanto's ass, rolled through the season with a title at Midlands, Big Ten, and a #1 seed only to piss hot, would they still bounce him from the team? I really can't say. As Orwell said, "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." I do think we might have seen a few more "legalize weed" proponents ;)

Very different? Pretty much agree
A similarity is a troubled kid. No matter which particular issues are involved, a kid cannot be helped until that kid decides [down in his/her soul] and believes they need the help.
Otherwise, it's a futile enterprise. Believe me.

Some like Long & Teasdale are lucky enough to have people around them with the resources/mentoring power that 90+% of other kids have no access. Still, it doesn't work. Why? Because those individuals haven't made that ULTIMATE decision to change their ways [yet?].

Bless all those who try to help, it can be a very, very frustrating process. But no blame on TnT, Cael, Lee's, etc. They tried. Those individuals just weren't ready.

Last edited:
It’s funny. Teasdale’s has issues with hard drugs prior to coming to Iowa. Deciding who’s issues were worse between him and Long is splitting hairs.

Teasdale was brought in to help the team, plain and simple. Given his talent level, there was hope that he’d be an immediate impact guy, even an immediate title contender as evidenced by the insiders on the board.

He wasn’t an impact guy, but let’s not kid ourselves that that wasn’t the goal.

It’s funny. Teasdale’s has issues with hard drugs prior to coming to Iowa. Deciding who’s issues were worse between him and Long is splitting hairs.

Teasdale was brought in to help the team, plain and simple. Given his talent level, there was hope that he’d be an immediate impact guy, even an immediate title contender as evidenced by the insiders on the board.

Nope they brought the guy in to be a detriment to the team, hoped that his issues would spread and create a negative culture.
Of course he was brought in to help the team. He couldn't fix his issues and is gone.
Can you share the similarities of their issues? Which one was kicked off their college team? Which one has had legal troubles through this part of their career?

Not really true. Teasdale was not brought in for immediate help for the team. Where would he fit in? Was he going to beat out Desanto or Lee? No way! He came back to Iowa because he made contact with Brands after PSU did not work out. The Brands gave him a chance to get his act together, but he obviously failed.
Back when he was coming to Iowa, I was chastised because I said he had trouble with drugs( not just weed). I was criticized big time and called names because I stated what information that I had.

Reactions: TarpHawk
It was announced in December that Long was transferring to PSU after several run-ins with the law and being dismissed from ISU. About a month later, he made his debut.

Teasdale, after dealing with a substance abuse issue, returned to PSU. He left the program in Jan/Feb IIRC allegedly on his own accord. Several steps were taken to help him and hold him accountable at Iowa. He pissed hot for weed and ties were cut.

Long was a returning national finalist...a plug and play guy at an elite level. Teasdale had not touched the mat from the PA State tourney (March 2018) until the Luther Open in Nov 2019.

So yea...there was a big difference in known college talent level.

I agree with PSU85 in that coaches tend to believe that the closer a guy is to training everyday and surrounded by good teammates, the better off they are. But I do think Brands has been through this situation enough to develop a trust but verify attitude...they give guys a chance and the tools to be better but that's about it. Now, had Teasdale came into the Iowa room, whupped Desanto's ass, rolled through the season with a title at Midlands, Big Ten, and a #1 seed only to piss hot, would they still bounce him from the team? I really can't say. As Orwell said, "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." I do think we might have seen a few more "legalize weed" proponents ;)
Teasdale had not really been dismissed from ISU. He had significant alcohol problems which led to his trouble with the law. He was suspended from the wrestling team and was expected to go to rehab so that if he followed up the recommendations, he could return to the wrestling team. Instead of going to rehab and possibly getting straightened out, Cael put him into to PSU lineup without any rehab or real help that he needed. I do blame Cael for some of Long’s later issues because Cael failed to make sure Long had succeeded before allowing him to wrestle. Maybe if Long had gone to rehab, he still would have failed, but at least he would not have been rewarded for his problems.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Not really true. Teasdale was not brought in for immediate help for the team. Where would he fit in? Was he going to beat out Desanto or Lee? No way! He came back to Iowa because he made contact with Brands after PSU did not work out. The Brands gave him a chance to get his act together, but he obviously failed.
Back when he was coming to Iowa, I was chastised because I said he had trouble with drugs( not just weed). I was criticized big time and called names because I stated what information that I had.
This is revisionist history. There was the thought that Teasdale would be an upgrade over Desanto (which was very stupid) and over Murin. You should have seen him in the room :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

PSU had shit at 133 that year and needed returning finalist Long to get over the top. They then had him transfer while under suspension at ISU (who wanted him to go to rehab). They got 1 semester out of him before he blew up even worse than he was at ISU, they certainly did the kid no favors IMO. Iowa did not need Teasdale, had no opening for him and he had done nothing in college to indicate he could be counted on. Teasdale is like if Long had stayed at ISU and went to rehab and then decided to transfer minus the national runner up credential. Iowa gave him an opportunity to be on the team and he was not able to use it to his benefit.

This is revisionist history. There was the thought that Teasdale would be an upgrade over Desanto (which was very stupid) and over Murin. You should have seen him in the room :rolleyes:
Who thought he would be an upgrade? Maybe some posters, but no one in the know really thought he would be an upgrade unless he made major changes in his life and wrestling. He had not wrestled well since in high school. Even in his senior year, he fell off somewhat. He did win the states at AA, but he was not undefeated that year and he did not dominate as he had done his first 3 years.

Who thought he would be an upgrade? Maybe some posters, but no one in the know really thought he would be an upgrade unless he made major changes in his life and wrestling. He had not wrestled well since in high school. Even in his senior year, he fell off somewhat. He did win the states at AA, but he was not undefeated that year and he did not dominate as he had done his first 3 years.

The reports from the room when he first arrived was that he was the real deal and would be pushing Austin up. When he started losing matches, the chatter changed to "he's good but has a lot of demons"

Reactions: Ron101
If Teasdale has problems with alcohol and drugs it's wishful thinking to believe he can just, get his shit together.
How about a High School superstar who just burned out got tired of the pressure.
Let's wish the kid the best and move on. He didn't damage our program and the staff gave him the same opportunity as everyone else on the team.
Some careers end good others don't.

Reactions: crablegs1
If Teasdale has problems with alcohol and drugs it's wishful thinking to believe he can just, get his shit together.
Definitely. Which is why it is so hilarious all the people who thought that the Brands would be able to help him.

Iowa needed Teasdale to wrestle about as much as they needed you as a Coach.

The reports from the room when he first arrived was that he was the real deal and would be pushing Austin up. When he started losing matches, the chatter changed to "he's good but has a lot of demons"
I remember hearing these things, but I never heard from a source that I knew telling me that he was doing that well. I watched him throughout high school and he was fantastic up through his junior year. Then he seemed to fade a little. He did not do that well while at PSU in the few matches that he wrestled. And certainly did not look great in the few matches he wrestled at Iowa. To expect him to beat out Desanto just seemed unrealistic to many on this board.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Definitely. Which is why it is so hilarious all the people who thought that the Brands would be able to help him.

So one chance is all you get in your eyes huh? I trust T and T in their ability to run a clean program. They may have whiffed on him but I’m sure they’ve affected hundreds of young men’s lives. I’ll take that. Quit being bitter. Life will get easier for ya if ya do.

Iowa needed Teasdale to wrestle about as much as they needed you as a Coach.
Easy to say in hindsight. Iowa had a hole at 141 that they wanted to fill. They didn’t know Conel would flame out and Cassar would be injured. Teasdale was brought in to help this team with another high AA/title contender.

So one chance is all you get in your eyes huh? I trust T and T in their ability to run a clean program. They may have whiffed on him but I’m sure they’ve affected hundreds of young men’s lives. I’ll take that. Quit being bitter. Life will get easier for ya if ya do.
Not bitter at all. Just don’t think Brands bros are the saviors some on here do. Great wrestling coaches though, for sure.

Easy to say in hindsight. Iowa had a hole at 141 that they wanted to fill. They didn’t know Conel would flame out and Cassar would be injured. Teasdale was brought in to help this team with another high AA/title contender.

Just stop with the silliness.

What was not true in what I said?

Murin isn't a hole. Are All Americans holes? I would have bet good money Max would have placed 5-8th in Minny.

The real hole is your argument that Brands needed Teasdale when he didn't. He still had ADS/Murin manning those weights. What you are projecting onto Brands and the team is all the dang wishful thinking and speculating all of us over the top fans posted about last fall at nauseum. The crazy talk we all dreamed up on these boards last fall are not the reasons Brands decided to give this kid a window to be successful on the mat and in life.

Besides if you really believe the crap you are spinning then explain the PD3 deal? He was on the doorstep of wearing the singlet. Brands could have easily looked the other way on PD3 not living the lifestyle he demanded. Its not like he was arrested and Brands had no choice.

Reactions: LBlindHawk

I wouldn’t call it a “hole” but I do remember a fair amount of people wondering if maybe you’d see DeSanto bump up and Teasdale at 133. But also plenty of people questioning that idea (just as much to do with Desanto’s effectiveness at 141 as Teasdale’s at 133 IIRC). I think there was only like one guy with few if any people believing it saying that Teasdale was beating DeSanto in the room though.

Murin isn't a hole. Are All Americans holes? I would have bet good money Max would have placed 5-8th in Minny.

The real hole is your argument that Brands needed Teasdale when he didn't. He still had ADS/Murin manning those weights. What you are projecting onto Brands and the team is all the dang wishful thinking and speculating all of us over the top fans posted about last fall at nauseum. The crazy talk we all dreamed up on these boards last fall are not the reasons Brands decided to give this kid a window to be successful on the mat and in life.

Besides if you really believe the crap you are spinning then explain the PD3 deal? He was on the doorstep of wearing the singlet. Brands could have easily looked the other way on PD3 not living the lifestyle he demanded. Its not like he was arrested and Brands had no choice.
PD3 was ineligible. If he were eligible he would have wrestled first semester.

Coming into the year 41 was a huge question mark. Muring was not a sure fire AA by any means.

PD3 was ineligible. If he were eligible he would have wrestled first semester.

Coming into the year 41 was a huge question mark. Muring was not a sure fire AA by any means.

In the Flo interview PD3 did with Bader he said he was eligible but was told by Brands he wasn’t “part of the Wolfpack”. Off the mat stuff.

The interview is called “Pat Downey Uncut: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly”

He talks about Iowa about the 36 minute mark.

Hey, here's another thing I am sick of in 2020: People that come on message boards where hundreds of people visit to voice their personal opinions, and then taking a few of those opinions and applying them to the board as a whole because they happened to be written there.

Pretty sure the top 20 posters on this board couldn't agree on a favorite food or the greatest movie of all time (which is obviously Smokey and the Bandit). Knowing that, why apply a few posters opinions on everyone?

Oh, I know, because it's easy and you're lazy.

In the Flo interview PD3 did with Bader he said he was eligible but was told by Brands he wasn’t “part of the Wolfpack”. Off the mat stuff.

The interview is called “Pat Downey Uncut: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly”

He talks about Iowa about the 36 minute mark.

Well who can believe PD3 anyway. Crabby would know better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT