ADVERTISEMENT

Teen driver was speeding, using social media at time of fatal collision with cyclist Andrew Pavlovec in Coralville

Did you learn to NEVER look at your dashboard, adjust climate controls or change a radio station in Driver's Ed?

I learned to stay alert to everything on the road, and only look down briefly. I never, ever monkey with stuff in the car or on my phone when in busy traffic, when there are bikes/pedestrians present, or there are lots of traffic controls. I only engage in secondary tasks when I'm well away from any hazards, and I know it's ok to look away, albeit very briefly. Maybe this is why I've never been the cause of a road accident in several decades of driving; because I can learn to pay attention to the road and ONLY disengage from it when I have a clear 1s window to do so.

Of course, I also don't go 20 mph over the speed limits in residential neighborhoods.
Weird take Joe. I’d love to listen in to your conversation with a cop if they pull you over for texting while driving. It’d be glorious.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
It's been over a year now without an update on this case. Is there even a trial date setup? Are they letting this person graduate high school before they proceed to the next step?

She killed someone , 20 miles over the speed limit and on her phone. Jail time required.
I hope, by the time my time has come, we’re able to look back on humans driving cars as a crazy barbarism we put up with until technology made it obviously more dangerous.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
Another POS

WEST PALM BEACH — A Wellington teen arrested after the Jan. 27 crash that killed six people near Delray Beach liked to record videos of himself speeding down highways. He paid cash rewards to social-media followers who guessed how fast he was driving, court records show.

Noah Galle, now 18, built a following with the videos on Instagram and TikTok as he rode along local roads and Interstate 95 in his BMW M5, according to his Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office arrest report. Those who guessed correctly would earn $25.

Galle's arrest report does not indicate whether he recorded any videos on the night of the crash, when PBSO investigators say he reached a speed of 151 mph moments before he rear-ended a Nissan Rogue SUV traveling at a quarter of his speed.

441135a9-e9bb-4fbd-bd30-015d239ce5ee-large16x9_NoahGallemugshot.jpg

It's not "unsafe" to use your phone while driving; you simply need to be disciplined to use it just like if you were checking your speed or changing the radio dial. You let your eyes leave the road for 1s at a time, and only when you're completely in the clear - no intersections, no other traffic, etc.

If you have to text, you type one letter at a time, and that means it might take you 2-5 minutes to reply to a message. Learn the discipline of focusing on driving, and if you cannot do anything on your phone, or change the radio knob, or adjust your A/C or heat within that 1s you look down, then you should not do any of those while driving. The problem people have, is they look down and start watching their phones for 2-5s, and bad shit happens. If you cannot remain focused on the road, you shouldn't be driving.
If you can't pull over to respond to a text, you shouldn't be driving. You can't be "focused on the road" and text at the same time. Period. Nobody adjusts the temp of their car one degree at a time or scans the radio dial one MHz at a time. I don't even need to look down to hit a preset on my radio or to change the temp. They are NOT the same thing as texting on the phone. Not even remotely.

My phone is set so it doen't even work when I'm driving and I'll keep it that way. No text alerts and callers get the message that I'm driving and they'll have to wait. EVERYBODY - including this young lady - says "I can handle it" until they don't.

A cyclist from charles city was killed by a distracted drive a summer or two ago. Judge let them off just a week or so ago with virtually no penalty.

Another POS

WEST PALM BEACH — A Wellington teen arrested after the Jan. 27 crash that killed six people near Delray Beach liked to record videos of himself speeding down highways. He paid cash rewards to social-media followers who guessed how fast he was driving, court records show.

Noah Galle, now 18, built a following with the videos on Instagram and TikTok as he rode along local roads and Interstate 95 in his BMW M5, according to his Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office arrest report. Those who guessed correctly would earn $25.

Galle's arrest report does not indicate whether he recorded any videos on the night of the crash, when PBSO investigators say he reached a speed of 151 mph moments before he rear-ended a Nissan Rogue SUV traveling at a quarter of his speed.

441135a9-e9bb-4fbd-bd30-015d239ce5ee-large16x9_NoahGallemugshot.jpg

Who in the hell would give an M5 to their teenager to drive? What the actual F?

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
It's not "unsafe" to use your phone while driving; you simply need to be disciplined to use it just like if you were checking your speed or changing the radio dial. You let your eyes leave the road for 1s at a time, and only when you're completely in the clear - no intersections, no other traffic, etc.

If you have to text, you type one letter at a time, and that means it might take you 2-5 minutes to reply to a message. Learn the discipline of focusing on driving, and if you cannot do anything on your phone, or change the radio knob, or adjust your A/C or heat within that 1s you look down, then you should not do any of those while driving. The problem people have, is they look down and start watching their phones for 2-5s, and bad shit happens. If you cannot remain focused on the road, you shouldn't be driving.
Horrible, horrible take.

I definitely feel short changed....
Forget about the cost and the "affluenza" issue --- that is just way, way, way too much car to entrust to an individual whose frontal lobe is not even fully developed yet. Asking for death and destruction.

URMC / Encyclopedia/ Understanding the Teen Brain

Search Encyclopedia

Understanding the Teen Brain

It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT or ACT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in, at least not yet.

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teens' brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not always at the same rate. That’s why when teens have overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Forget about the cost and the "affluenza" issue --- that is just way, way, way too much car to entrust to an individual whose frontal lobe is not even fully developed yet. Asking for death and destruction.

URMC / Encyclopedia/ Understanding the Teen Brain

Search Encyclopedia

Understanding the Teen Brain

It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT or ACT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in, at least not yet.

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teens' brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not always at the same rate. That’s why when teens have overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.
I'll never forget when my then 15 year old oldest daughter basically had an emotional breakdown because I got on her about cleaning her room. It was really something to behold....

Good kid...totally lost her senses over....cleaning her room.

Sometimes you just have to walk away and let them collect their senses. Learned from it when dealing with my youngest at that stage. They don't think rationally sometimes when they're at that stage....emotional beings as the article states.

Reactions: torbee
A cyclist from charles city was killed by a distracted drive a summer or two ago. Judge let them off just a week or so ago with virtually no penalty.

Yep, guy was on his phone and ran her down. 28 years old, regular road rider, was on the other side of the fog line from the vehicle. Nobody give a shit about cyclist dying regardless of how it happens. C’est la vie.

Buddy was stopped at a red light in his motorcycle a few years back when a teen rear ended him due to looking at his phone. My buddy went flying and got banged up pretty good but is OK today.

Asked him if he'd get another bike and he said it just isn't safe anymore with cell phones.

I wouldn't ride a bicycle anywhere but a trail these days. We can talk until we're blue in the face about people not texting and driving but let's be realistic, it's never going away. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people in this thread condemning this girl do it themselves. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of it from time-to-time.

Buddy was stopped at a red light in his motorcycle a few years back when a teen rear ended him due to looking at his phone. My buddy went flying and got banged up pretty good but is OK today.

Asked him if he'd get another bike and he said it just isn't safe anymore with cell phones.

I wouldn't ride a bicycle anywhere but a trail these days. We can talk until we're blue in the face about people not texting and driving but let's be realistic, it's never going away. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people in this thread condemning this girl do it themselves. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of it from time-to-time.

The apple "do not disturb while driving" feature that automatically shuts it down once it connects to you car's bluetooth is perfect for those that can't control themselves.

Reactions: torbee
Yep, guy was on his phone and ran her down. 28 years old, regular road rider, was on the other side of the fog line from the vehicle. Nobody give a shit about cyclist dying regardless of how it happens. C’est la vie.
Judge should be removed from office. Absolutely ridiculous.

Two years now.

Has anyone heard anything on this case? vehicular homicide was the last charge I saw.

Even thought the perp is now 18 I suppose they will never be identified to the general public?

Two years now.

Has anyone heard anything on this case? vehicular homicide was the last charge I saw.

Even thought the perp is now 18 I suppose they will never be identified to the general public?

I'm sure the name will never be released but there were no major consequences. I am pretty familiar with the person at fault. I can't really explain more...

I'm sure the name will never be released but there were no major consequences. I am pretty familiar with the person at fault. I can't really explain more...
Thank you for the update.

Not saying they should've thrown the book at this girl but justice will never be served in this instance and that is a real tragedy. Just chalk it up as another young person from an affluent family skating the justice system while the lower rungs of society are the only ones to feel its wrath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT