ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about ISU...

Sep 2, 2001
Probable opponent for Purdue in the 2nd round. All I know is Nieng and Morris are excellent, they don't play a lot of players, and they lost 11 games, but no real bad losses. Since you have played both teams, what are your thoughts on this potential matchup?

The first thing aobut ISU is they are not very deep and as far as big men who like to scrap they really only have Mckay. They can definitely score but its typically off jump shots and jump shot teams can win or lose on any given day. If you end up getting Mckay or Niang into foul trouble early you will win. With that said if Niang is on fire look out because he can be very hard to stop.

Pound the ball inside. They don't like to play defense for extended periods.

Get back on D. They like to run and are primarily a 3 pt jump shooting team.

Iowa State is not primarily a 3 pt jump shooting team. Iowa State has the second highest FG% in the country at 50.2%. Last I knew they weren't even in the top 100 in the NCAA in 3 point attempts

Reactions: Boys5
Great offensive players, don't bother to play much defense. They only run 6 deep and are often too tired to keep fighting late in games. Their roster is mostly transfers who quit on other teams, an attitude embraced by Cyclone fans and coaches alike. Their team leader is Georges Niang, who has racked up over 2000 career points while giving up over 3500. He acts like an idiot and may try to grab his opponent's genitals. Their old coach quit after losing to UAB, and after being a top 5 preseason team, they finished this year 10-10. Being in the Big 12 is the only reason they aren't a 9 seed. Purdue will be the most physical team they've played in months, and should win by 20+.

Their mascot is supposedly a cyclone, although if you look at it, its clearly a bird trapped in a cyclone. They proudly wear the colors of McDonalds/ketchup and mustard.

They have a beautiful Campus located in central Iowa with nearly 40K students. They participate in the B12 conference and are called the Cyclones. The mascot is CY the Cardinal. The school is strong in Ag, Vet. Med, and engineering.

ames-header.jpg

They will be well hydrated, with high quality H2O

Great offensive players, don't bother to play much defense. They only run 6 deep and are often too tired to keep fighting late in games. Their roster is mostly transfers who quit on other teams, an attitude embraced by Cyclone fans and coaches alike. Their team leader is Georges Niang, who has racked up over 2000 career points while giving up over 3500. He acts like an idiot and may try to grab his opponent's genitals. Their old coach quit after losing to UAB, and after being a top 5 preseason team, they finished this year 10-10. Being in the Big 12 is the only reason they aren't a 9 seed. Purdue will be the most physical team they've played in months, and should win by 20+.

Their mascot is supposedly a cyclone, although if you look at it, its clearly a bird trapped in a cyclone. They proudly wear the colors of McDonalds/ketchup and mustard.

This is spot on. If I was Purdue I wouldn't even prep for ISU and focus on Virginia.

Reactions: Isitfootballseason?
Make isu play more than 15 seconds of defense and you are likely to score at will. No real size or depth. Play as the Boilers have been and they should have no trouble.

They like to hang out on our board, pretending not to be obsessed, but just "defending" their team from attacks. Hey, somebody's got to play defense for the Cyclones, right?
No defense required. Its called Hoiball. Gets you the 10th seed in the Eastern Conference.

They have a beautiful Campus located in central Iowa with nearly 40K students. They participate in the B12 conference and are called the Cyclones. The mascot is CY the Cardinal. The school is strong in Ag, Vet. Med, and engineering.

You forgot to mention two things:

1) Purdue's enrollment is only about 39,000 so you will beat them because of that.

2) There are Cyclone "fans", but most fans are "Cyclones".

Reactions: Clonewithasigh
You forgot to mention two things:

1) Purdue's enrollment is only about 39,000 so you will beat them because of that.

2) There are Cyclone "fans", but most fans are "Cyclones".

PU fans should also understand that when things don't go the way for isu it has nothing to do with the opponent it is always because of the officials. In fact when pushed their AD will hold a press conference can scream about how unfair it is and how everybody wants isu to lose.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
In answer to the question, if Purdue pounds the ball inside like they can, it will ISU either foul or give up buckets. They key for Purdue will be slowing down Niang.

In answer to the question, if Purdue pounds the ball inside like they can, it will ISU either foul or give up buckets. They key for Purdue will be slowing down Niang.

I haven't watched Purdue much this year but I did find it odd that with their size they have shot more 3 pointers this season than Iowa State.

The Purdue Big's will have to try and keep up in high altitude...... I don't like their chances.

It's one of those contrast of styles games. ISU is going to try and speed up Purdue and make Purdue play fast. ISU doesn't want to play any game in the half court. Very similar to Iowa in that regard. Their better offensively then Iowa and much worse defensively then Iowa. I don't see anybody that can guard Hammonds and I don't see anybody that can guard Niang. If ISU goes small then Niang will be able to draw out either of Purdue's centers. Which if I remember correctly Iowa had a little success with Uhl doing that against Purdue. Also Niang travels all the time. Might be a factor if it's actually called. But traveling be called in the NCAA this year has been a mystery. Should be an interesting game if it happens but with the way this season has gone it could easily not happen.

Iowa State will try and draw out the Purdue bigs and either try to hit shots or drive past them. On D they will double them and force Purdue guards to try and hit shots. Iowa State actually forces a pretty good def fg % on the first shot but struggles to defensively rebound.

PG monte Morris is very good but injured. It will be an interesting matchup of contrasting styles but IMO Purdue wins.

Reminds me of the Notre Dame game in 2013. Everyone said Cooley was going to kill Iowa State down low but in the end he couldn't defend Niang or Ejim

I would expect Swainagain to guard Niang and not Hammons or Hass.

Reminds me of the Notre Dame game in 2013. Everyone said Cooley was going to kill Iowa State down low but in the end he couldn't defend Niang or Ejim

and you are right on that, only thing is is that you guys don't have Ejim this year. I expect ISU to win this game if they meet, just due to the fact that they will find ways to minimize the effect of Hammons and Haas, but if Purdue finds a way to slow it down and feed them down low, it could be a long day for ISU fans. This will be one of the more interesting games in the tourney.

We are prepping for ARLR, because any team that was swept by Iowa is in trouble in the big dance.
So what you're saying that you'd easily beat Michigan State.

Okay good to know you guys haven't gone completely delusional after losing all your swagger to the better teams in the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT