ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee vs Iowa talent gap

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
Over on Vol Nation, their fans are talking about how they will dominate us with superior talent talking about their recruiting rankings vs. us which obviously heavily favors the Vols. They talk like we are a Vandy level team in terms of talent.

However, I brought up to them the fact that Iowa has 29 NFL players and Tennessee has 21. Since 2019 Iowa has 6 first round picks to just one from Tennessee.

Should we really just assume Tennesee is more talented because they have higher ranked recruits? I would argue NFL talent is the better indicator since the players on the field are closer to their pro careers than their high school ones. What do you guys think on this?

Over on Vol Nation, their fans are talking about how they will dominate us with superior talent talking about their recruiting rankings vs. us which obviously heavily favors the Vols. They talk like we are a Vandy level team in terms of talent.

However, I brought up to them the fact that Iowa has 29 NFL players and Tennessee has 21. Since 2019 Iowa has 6 first round picks to just one from Tennessee.

Should we really just assume Tennesee is more talented because they have higher ranked recruits? I would argue NFL talent is the better indicator since the players on the field are closer to their pro careers than their high school ones. What do you guys think on this?
Offensively, sure. Defensively, get out of here.

They’re an SEC team, they always assume they have better talent than everyone not named OSU or Michigan in the Big10.

Every year at the NFL combine, the myths of the SEC having far superior talent, athleticism and speed than the rest of the power conferences gets washed out. Sure, the best SEC teams offer a roster full of guys with these traits. But, so do the best teams outside of that conference. As far as Iowa's talent vs Tennessee's, they might have some advantages in some spots. And Iowa has some advantages as well. Bottom line: I think Iowa is a better team and will win.

They’re an SEC team, they always assume they have better talent than everyone not named OSU or Michigan in the Big10.
Exactly. OP has it right, check the talent going out of the program vs inbound to see a better barometer of talent.

They are going to be surprised when they get dragged into an ugly game that Iowa forces on most teams. Should be fun!

That line of thinking really came to a head following the national championship game in 2007, when Florida destroyed unbeaten, top-ranked Ohio State. Pundits abound spoke about how much faster and more athletic the Gators were. If one compares the 2007, 2008 and 2009 NFL drafts though for each school, and what their drafted players went on to do professionally, the enormous gap that was supposed to have existed in that game doesn't seem like much at all. Ohio State simply got out-played and out-coached. It happens.

That line of thinking really came to a head following the national championship game in 2007, when Florida destroyed unbeaten, top-ranked Ohio State. Pundits abound spoke about how much faster and more athletic the Gators were. If one compares the 2007, 2008 and 2009 NFL drafts though for each school, and what their drafted players went on to do professionally, the enormous gap that was supposed to have existed in that game doesn't seem like much at all. Ohio State simply got out-played and out-coached. It happens.
I think the SEC did have a talent gap on the Big10 in DL talent, but I think that gap has narrowed recently. With 5 head to head Big vs SEC games coming up, there will be plenty of fodder inbound. Go Big!

Reactions: savage84

I don't see them having better athletes than UM, PSU, or OSU. We always hear about the speed of the SEC yet we do mostly fine against them on the defensive side of the ball.

Since 2010 Iowa has had 15 1st team All-America players, including 9 consensus.

Tennessee has had 4 with 0 consensus.

In their defense, I think our recruiting talent composite would place us only above Vandy if we were in the SEC. Also they might remember the beat down the last time we played.

Their fans are going to be incredibly frustrated when they find their offense can barely do anything against our defense. Mississippi State, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, etc. haven't exactly found it easy to play in bowl games against our talent.
You left out Kentucky from last year.
21-0.

Reactions: hawkosx
In HS, "talent" is defined as speed, physical dominance, and stats. Four and five stars are normally just simply better than everyone else of the field and they look "great".

In college, "talent" has to include making the right plays, following your assignment, not making mistakes like penalties and turnovers. Oh, and speed, physical dominance and stats.

They will not beat the Hawks based on the numbers of stars they got in HS. They will have to have "college" talent.

They are missing a bunch of guys, the Hawks are missing a bunch of guys (although they've been missing for a while). At full strength I'd give the nod to Tennessee.

Now? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
There's no doubt that there is a huge talent gap on the offensive side of the ball at the skill positions. Tennessee will have the number one QB recruit in the country along with highly recruited wide receivers. Iowa has the Deac., Kaleb Brown, and a bunch of guys who had one or fewer P5 offers.

Last edited:

Tennessee fans are the worst of the worst and I have held this opinion since the early 1980s.

Reactions: 59DAWG
This meaningless game comment is another thing wrong with the changes to college football. I miss the days when people and players actually thought bowls were a big deal.
Absolutely, but, fact is these non-playoff bowls don’t matter that much anymore.

With the expanded playoff field? The Citrus and Outback bowls of the world will be very irrelevant.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Since 2010 Iowa has had 15 1st team All-America players, including 9 consensus.

Tennessee has had 4 with 0 consensus.
When schools like Tenn or that other school to the west like to brag about recruit rankings. I’ll agree they have higher ranked 18-19 yr old players who have minimal impact usually. but when it comes the the 4/5 star talent of developed upperclassman Iowa has them beat.

They will have the OC advantage.

Some of it is probably copium. I don't see UT blowing out Iowa, even if they beat Iowa. They blew out the teams they were supposed to blow out, but got blown out against Bama, Missouri, Gergia and Florida.

I honestly think they are the weaker of the ranked teams, and with all their missing players, are now even weaker.

We'll see, though.

NFL progression is a weak indicator of total talent on a football team. For example, one O-line can have a consensus top 10 draft choice say at center, and mediocre talent at the rest of the positions while the other team has superior talent at all the positions but no super player. The same can be said for the rest of the starting groups. This also applies for the backup players.

Dead on here on all accounts. It duos indeed from that game and if anything tOSU was faster. They played horribly!

NFL progression is a weak indicator of total talent on a football team. For example, one O-line can have a consensus top 10 draft choice say at center, and mediocre talent at the rest of the positions while the other team has superior talent at all the positions but no super player. The same can be said for the rest of the starting groups. This also applies for the backup players.

Not if you are putting talent overtime into the NFL at most all positions. It’s the only way…if one team has 30 over the last 8-10 years and another has 20. Team A is producing more talent.

Iowa has LBers, TEs, DLs, DBs and OLs all over the NFL.

Tennessee is in no way, shape, or form, a superior program to ours. They may win but it's only because we perpetually handicap ourselves in one of phase of football, seemingly by choice. It's not because they're better than us as only a small handful of teams in the country actually are better top to bottom than we are.

I do recall a basketball tourney game against them when they said the same thing despite a pretty good showing by our "low level" players. We're a football school too and we're far more relevant over the last decade (or two) than Tennessee has been. They're fans are elitist much to the same degree that Nebraska fans have been but without the titles to back it up.

They're not worth talking to or associating with. Opinions from Tennessee fans are irrelevant to anyone outside of themselves. Tennessee is an irrelevant program and trying to prove it to them is wasted breath. Just let the last 25 years back it up instead...

Plus OSU's top receiver and kick returner, cant remember his name, got hurt very early in the game. He was very fast and very good. OSU looked lost the whole game

Reactions: cmhawks99
Not if you are putting talent overtime into the NFL at most all positions. It’s the only way…if one team has 30 over the last 8-10 years and another has 20. Team A is producing more talent.

Iowa has LBers, TEs, DLs, DBs and OLs all over the NFL.
And now, unlike most times, the hawks have ex players at WR and QB in the league who are contributing

Says the guy who will be glued to the set Jan 1 and posting as fast as his fingers can type on the game thread. We'll be counting your posts on such a "meaningless" game.
I always love to see the hawks play another game. It is a chance for players to make plays and shine

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT