ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Dems who fled state sue Gov. Abbott for trying to bring them back: 'Discomfort and embarrassment'

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
“Discomfort and embarrassment”, the words most prominently used in sexual harassment claims filed at work against the OP.

Weird take. Babbitt tried to violently overthrow our democracy. These Dems are trying to peacefully protect it.
Then why don’t they stay and do their job, stand up for what they believe is right instead of taking their ball and going to their uncles house.

• Haha
Reactions: Huey Grey
Then why don’t they stay and do their job, stand up for what they believe is right instead of taking their ball and going to their uncles house.
Is this a serious question? You know full well this is the only way they can do their job. They have one tool and one tool only. Quorum. And that's it. If they return, the Rs instantly pass their voter suppression law and the people of Texas lose some of their ability to have a say in their elections.

Is this a serious question? You know full well this is the only way they can do their job. They have one tool and one tool only. Quorum. And that's it. If they return, the Rs instantly pass their voter suppression law and the people of Texas lose some of their ability to have a say in their elections.
Who will lose their ability to vote?

The attorney representing the Dems is Craig Anthony Washington, I think his law license is suspended and he has a learner's permit.

Reactions: coloradonoles
Who will lose their ability to vote?
It's not that anyone outright loses their ability to vote, it's that the bill targets voting methods thought to help the Democrats. Most of it is aimed at mail in voting, drive up voting, and it cuts out 24 hour voting. Despite no fraud in any of these in 2020, Rs suddenly had to change the rules after Dems voted in large numbers using these methods. It is pure suppression.

Voting by mail should not be controversial. The military does it. Trump does it. But only when the Dems do it, does the GOP suddenly need to make it harder.
When the Dems do it, the ballots magically have no folds signifying they have't been sent via mail. That's what they're fixing.

It's not that anyone outright loses their ability to vote, it's that the bill targets voting methods thought to help the Democrats. Most of it is aimed at mail in voting, drive up voting, and it cuts out 24 hour voting. Despite no fraud in any of these in 2020, Rs suddenly had to change the rules after Dems voted in large numbers using these methods. It is pure suppression.

How does this law compare to laws already on the books in states all across the country?

How does this law compare to laws already on the books in states all across the country?
I have no idea. I just know that Dems set records mail in voting and suddenly the Rs needed to make it more difficult.

So the dems ran off to DC, got their asses handed to them with a warrant and then lost a 15 hour filibuster over something that even the bluest person on here recognizes isnt going to directly impact anyone? Did I get that right? If so, what a ****ing waste of tax dollars.

And the in-fighting has begun among them as a few have returned. It’ll get worse the longer they holdout.

So the dems ran off to DC, got their asses handed to them with a warrant and then lost a 15 hour filibuster over something that even the bluest person on here recognizes isnt going to directly impact anyone? Did I get that right? If so, what a ****ing waste of tax dollars.
Yep, especially since the Texas Dems are still accepting the session per diem.

I see that none of our resident cons want to actually address the point that Dems voted absentee in record numbers and suddenly the Rs had to start limiting absentee voting. It's not even hidden suppression anymore.

I see that none of our resident cons want to actually address the point that Dems voted absentee in record numbers and suddenly the Rs had to start limiting absentee voting. It's not even hidden suppression anymore.
And you continue to stick your head in the sand about what the bill actually does and how it compares to laws already in place across the country. Gotta have that boogie man right?

And you continue to stick your head in the sand about what the bill actually does and how it compares to laws already in place across the country. Gotta have that boogie man right?
I posted a link saying what it does. Ciggy just started a new thread about what it does. It limits absentee voting. Why? There were no problems with absentee voting before. Literally the only thing that changed is that the Dems started using it. This is wrong and you know it.

I posted a link saying what it does. Ciggy just started a new thread about what it does. It limits absentee voting. Why? There were no problems with absentee voting before. Literally the only thing that changed is that the Dems started using it. This is wrong and you know it.
How does that compare with absentee voting laws already on the books in say New York or Minnesota, or South Carolina or anywhere else?

How does that compare with absentee voting laws already on the books in say New York or Minnesota, or South Carolina or anywhere else?
This comes across as whataboutism. There were no problems of absentee voting in Texas. So why is Texas making absentee voting harder?

This comes across as whataboutism. There were no problems of absentee voting in Texas. So why is Texas making absentee voting harder?
This comes across as a political boogie man that you drumbeat loud and clear with no other reason than politics.

This comes across as a political boogie man that you drumbeat loud and clear with no other reason than politics.
This is pure projection. If anyone is making a boogeyman out of this it's the Republicans. How else do you explain moving heaven and Earth for a problem that doesn't exist?

Reactions: funksouljon
This is voter suppression? Sounds more like election security.

"The Texas bill requires mail voters to include identification numbers on their envelopes and applications that must match data on their voter registration. They’d have to include their driver’s license number — although an expired one would suffice. If they don’t have a driver’s license, they can include the final four digits of their Social Security number."

article https://apnews.com/article/health-g...rus-pandemic-9bc36a6e8c967757340ab25f49b8ddbf

This is voter suppression? Sounds more like election security.

"The Texas bill requires mail voters to include identification numbers on their envelopes and applications that must match data on their voter registration. They’d have to include their driver’s license number — although an expired one would suffice. If they don’t have a driver’s license, they can include the final four digits of their Social Security number."

article https://apnews.com/article/health-g...rus-pandemic-9bc36a6e8c967757340ab25f49b8ddbf
THE HORROR!!!!!!

You have to request an absentee ballot under the bill and it eliminates drop boxs….mailing ballots to everyone and drop boxes were done for the pandemic. So basically they go back to how it was prepandemic.

You have to request an absentee ballot under the bill and it eliminates drop boxs….mailing ballots to everyone and drop boxes were done for the pandemic. So basically they go back to how it was prepandemic.
This article supports what I've been saying. Suppression is the name of the game:

"But taken as a whole, the changes add up to one clear result: If the proposals pass, it will become harder — and even, sometimes, legally riskier — to cast a ballot in Texas, a state that already has some of the most restrictive election laws in the country."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT