ADVERTISEMENT

That was so pathetic

Nov 11, 2016
And to think I was looking ahead to a Championship Game against Cincinnati to get a barometer of where we are vs top teams. Fran AND Ferentz always do this to us and I don't know why I get frustrated anymore, but I do. 1 step forward, 3 steps back

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
And to think I was looking ahead to a Championship Game against Cincinnati to get a barometer of where we are vs top teams

Well... that's your fault. You should know by now with Iowa sports that you can't, nor should, ever get your hopes up for the end result when there are steps in between.

And to think I was looking ahead to a Championship Game against Cincinnati to get a barometer of where we are vs top teams. Fran AND Ferentz always do this to us and I son G know why I get frustrated anymore, but I do. 1 step forward, 3 steps back

Poor shooting games happen all the time, just ask Northwestern....I loss against this Louisiana team is not going to put an end to this season....27 more to go, encouraged that they didn't quit after getting down so much...more learning points for the coaches to teach these young players....

Poor shooting games happen all the time, just ask Northwestern....I loss against this Louisiana team is not going to put an end to this season....27 more to go, encouraged that they didn't quit after getting down so much...more learning points for the coaches to teach these young players....

Yup off nights will happen and especially with young teams games like this will happen. Even good teams have off nights and it sucks.

The defensive effort was alarming and I hope Fran and company address it sooner than later. Our defense is just so slow and horrible at rotating. We gave up so many 2nd chances and also open looks today. I hope we can learn from this and get better tomorrow.

And to think I was looking ahead to a Championship Game against Cincinnati to get a barometer of where we are vs top teams. Fran AND Ferentz always do this to us and I son G know why I get frustrated anymore, but I do. 1 step forward, 3 steps back

Minus Nick & Conner we would have needed a lot of luck to make the championship game,... I didn't expect to get there.....

Reactions: ChiHawk1985
On the bright side, I was going to pay $10 just for the iowa cinci game! Glad they let this one go free so now I don't have to pay them :).

Reactions: IAGuy and QChawks
Everybody on here knew that was the main thing we needed to get better at, how does that not happen? Coaching is the answer

1. Early season game.
2. First reasonably good opponent.
3. Perfect type of opponent to exploit this teams weaknesses.
4. Missing our number 2 and our best situational player.
5. Jet lag.
6. Marginal facility.

The defense will be better. This team is better than this game....

Anybody who pays $10 for that quality of service is a complete buffoon.

No doubt. On my feed they showed the pre game warmups about 5 times during the game. Pissed me off initially, but ended up being a nice break from that shit show as the game went on.

1. Early season game.
5. Jet lag.
6. Marginal facility.

They better be because that was horrendously bad. That looked like the team the sports writers picked to finish 8th in the BIG not the one people here picked 3-6. By the way, why do we always struggle in basketball and football with teams early in the season who aren't as good as us?

I think the speed and athleticism caught them off guard in the first half. This completely disrupted the offense and led to quick shots that were not going in. As previously discussed by many, our defense is so bad right now if we are not in a zone.

I was pleased to see them play much better offensively in the second half, but we couldn't get key stops once it got down to 10-12 points. Hopefully Baer and Connor will help this team. Also, I think Dailey should take all of Ellingson's minutes. He is much better defensively and has more tools to score.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I think the speed and athleticism caught them off guard in the first half. This completely disrupted the offense and led to quick shots that were not going in. As previously discussed by many, our defense is so bad right now if we are not in a zone.

I was pleased to see them play much better offensively in the second half, but we couldn't get key stops once it got down to 10-12 points. Hopefully Baer and Connor will help this team. Also, I think Dailey should take all of Ellingson's minutes. He is much better defensively and has more tools to score.
News flash... There are a lot of athletic and quick teams in the BIG. Could be a bad year for us unless the defense improves DRASTICALLY

1. Early season game.
5. Jet lag.
6. Marginal facility.

I would agree, it looked to me that we were sleep walking through the first half.
LL has Senior leadership and cat quick guards. Bohannon and Moss really struggled in the first half,
but picked it up in second half.
Cook and Garza were awful low energy, no defense didn't block out. They were benched pretty early in
second half.
I thought Kreiner and Dailey gave us a great lift off the bench.
I love Nunge's game!
We missed Baer's leadership and McCaffery will help with added depth at PG.
Overall, I would throw away the game film and move onto the next game.
These guys no what they need to do and will be better for it come big ten play when it counts.

Reactions: Hawkaholic73
I would agree, it looked to me that we were sleep walking through the first half.
LL has Senior leadership and cat quick guards. Bohannon and Moss really struggled in the first half,
but picked it up in second half.
Cook and Garza were awful low energy, no defense didn't block out. They were benched pretty early in
second half.
I thought Kreiner and Dailey gave us a great lift off the bench.
I love Nunge's game!
We missed Baer's leadership and McCaffery will help with added depth at PG.
Overall, I would throw away the game film and move onto the next game.
These guys no what they need to do and will be better for it come big ten play when it counts.
Shouldn't they have known that what they needed to do was play better defense before the season? That involved actually trying on that side of the court. Zero players on this team have that "want to" as far as playing defense

Iowa is slow on the perimeter. That's not something that was just discovered. It will be a deficiency the entire season. How they make up for that lack of speed and athleticism on the perimeter will tell the tale of what they do from here on.
No reason to throw in the towel yet. I thought they were a marginal NCAA team before. Still have a chance to be on the right side of the bubble.

Shouldn't they have known that what they needed to do was play better defense before the season? That involved actually trying on that side of the court. Zero players on this team have that "want to" as far as playing defense

Knowing what they need to do and doing it are two entirely different things.....

Our passing is simply not crisp. So many turns because our interior feeds are too lazy. I get not wanting to throw fastballs but it's impossible to get into our sets when we don't have confidence in being able to pass around the perimeter. Our ball movement was garbaage.

Just looking at the box score and you have to scratch your head at this one. JoBo and Moss each go for 20 plus, Moss gets to the line 10 times and and the team shoots 21 of 26 from the line today...one would think it would have been a good day.

Then you see Cook only gets off 5 shot attempts, Garza 2 with zero points, looks like Nunge had a decent line (outside of the 4 turnovers), but then you see Moss and JoBo took 17 and 16 FG attempts each...yikes.

What a weird box score.

Our passing is simply not crisp. So many turns because our interior feeds are too lazy. I get not wanting to throw fastballs but it's impossible to get into our sets when we don't have confidence in being able to pass around the perimeter. Our ball movement was garbaage.

They need to develop an appreciation for how much faster a lot of their competition is going to be. Lazy passing isn't going to cut it,... We are big. We are not fast....

Knowing and doing are two different things. They do know, but let's be honest here Fran's teams statistically have been very marginal at defense.
When shots aren't falling, you have to pick up the intensity on the other end.
They didn't do that today, this is a teachable moment for the coaching staff.
The coaches can scream until they're red in the face, but the players have to understand that you win games on the defensive side of the court. Moving your feet, boxing out, etc...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT