ADVERTISEMENT

The addition of James Butler changes the 2017 equasion.

Give Brian Ferentz a chance.
Coach Brian Fernetz is got to be so excited with the addition of Butler now.. I think he is going to schock the big ten with his play calling . His Father is the most underated coach in America and he has developed so many 2-3 stars into pros and Brian has learned so much from him and being with New England .. Cant wait to watch Coach Brian Offense

Last edited:
Coach Brian Fernetz is got to be so excited with the addition of Butler now.. I think he is going to schock the big ten with his play calling . His Father is the most underated coach in America and he has developed so many 2-3 stars into pros and Brian has learned so much from him and being with New England .. Cnat wait to watch Coach Brian Offense

yah... I was told this is what Brian was born to do.

when you consider that... Brian the new OC
KOK is back in Iowa City
the Grad Transfer, Jimmy Butler
New QB's new WR's
Matt VandeBerg is back
Tiger Hawk at mid field

this coming season is very exciting indeed

yah... I was told this is what Brian was born to do.

when you consider that... Brian the new OC
KOK is back in Iowa City
the Grad Transfer, Jimmy Butler
New QB's new WR's
Matt VandeBerg is back
Tiger Hawk at mid field

this coming season is very exciting indeed
Hawkeyes will shock some people this year .. I don't think we will see the predictability in the offense like past years .. if we stay healthy , and the team jells very important , this will be a great season.. no less than 10-2 ..

If the bowl game taught us anything last year, it was that Iowa needs a passing game as well to compliment our damn good OL and backs.
with the addition of Kelton Copeland and KOK... as well as Brian Ferentz as the Offensive Coordinator... I expect to see improvement.

I thought the offense was pretty in 2015....
imo, the weakness on Offense last season was the Wide Receivers..
which fell on Bobby Kennedy...
so I must say... replacing him was probably a good thing.
he did a good job for us 2015, no doubt...

but I think we probably need somebody who is extra good at teaching and developing that group... let's hope Kelton Copeland is the perfect fit

Reactions: David1979
If the bowl game taught us anything last year, it was that Iowa needs a passing game as well to compliment our damn good OL and backs.

Yep. In order to make the jump we can't just rely on our line and Wadley. We have to have something else. Only bad part is we are lacking at those spots. We'd be very tough to handle if we had good skill position players outside of Wadley. I think we are going 8-4 because of it.

From reading other posts and interviews on here, sounds like Polasek was enlightening the staff on just how predictable the Iowa offense was. Polasek's insights might be really valuable in this regard for the coming year...

Let's hope!

Any links to that stuff? I'll look around myself, but I'm very interested in learning more about this.

Any links to that stuff? I'll look around myself, but I'm very interested in learning more about this.
I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere other than here, but doesn't mean it isn't true. I would imagine there have been some open/frank discussions with the new guys on the staff. I know everyone wants/expects immediate results, but I'd be happy with competent this year given the lack of playmakers outside and a new QB. If Iowa can't make opponents stay at least a bit honest when defending Iowa, then season will be 6-6 or so. Getting to 8-4 or better depends upon the offense being competent in the passing game.

Reactions: Birky
I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere other than here, but doesn't mean it isn't true. I would imagine there have been some open/frank discussions with the new guys on the staff. I know everyone wants/expects immediate results, but I'd be happy with competent this year given the lack of playmakers outside and a new QB. If Iowa can't make opponents stay at least a bit honest when defending Iowa, then season will be 6-6 or so. Getting to 8-4 or better depends upon the offense being competent in the passing game.

I agree, I've just never seen anything about this, even on here. It strikes me as incredibly important that somebody tell the Iowa staff "here's how we knew"... now, I'm not expecting to catch the defense by surprise every single play, as I understand the importance of execution as well. There are plenty of times where the defense can guess run or pass and so can we as fans. I'm just assuming though, that if a position coach at NDSU who played us one time knew many of the plays, that the rest of the Big Ten completely knows it too, and so would Iowa State. Anything Iowa can do to keep opponents more off balance is great for the offense.

It hardly comes as a surprise that other teams thought Iowa was predictable on offense last year.
It's a testament to the run blocking of the O-line with the electricity of Akrum and the steadiness of LeShun that they accomplished as much as they did.

I think some fans are under estimating the value of having Ken O'Keefe and Tim polasek on this staff. O'Keefe obviously has years and years of offensive coordinator experience but has also spent the last 4 or five years in the NFL that no doubt roubded out his knowledge. That is a big time help for this offensive staff.

Polacek also obviously has several years as an offensive coordinator.

The input and Gameday adjustments that these guys can help with alone will make a massive difference.

You combine this with Brian Ferentz who is by most accounts pretty aggressive and open minded and I think you have a recipe for an excellent game plan week in and week out.

I think you're going to see an offense that is not afraid to take shots. I think you're also going to see an offense that is not afraid to try things that might be a bit outside the box from what a really tentative Greg Davis and company man/Okeefe were as o coordinators.

To be a winning program in conference an bowl games, you have to be good at basic passing plays. We are not. We may be able to nickel and dime around the edges of a basic passing game, but every DC will be happy to force us to pass the ball.
We have a long way to go to develop a solid basic passing game that can work at the top end of conf play.

Reactions: dadster
with the addition of Kelton Copeland and KOK... as well as Brian Ferentz as the Offensive Coordinator... I expect to see improvement.

I thought the offense was pretty in 2015....
imo, the weakness on Offense last season was the Wide Receivers..
which fell on Bobby Kennedy...
so I must say... replacing him was probably a good thing.
he did a good job for us 2015, no doubt...

but I think we probably need somebody who is extra good at teaching and developing that group... let's hope Kelton Copeland is the perfect fit
2015 just looked better because of the sched imo.
Look at how we played against ne, wi and msu. It wasn't very pretty ;)

2015 just looked better because of the sched imo.
Look at how we played against ne, wi and msu. It wasn't very pretty ;)

On that note everyone undersells the schedule last year, we only played five games with sub 500 records and 4+ with double digit wins & a couple more at nine if memory serves, the Truth lies somewhere in between the two schools of thought!

The more football you watch the more you realize we all have similar problems. I became pretty enlightened the day I went back and looked at all the times Hayden's team scored under 17 points I was shocked. If you listen to some of the folks in here you'd of thought he was the greatest offensivw innovator in the history of football......he too has lots of games were they struggled to move the ball!

From reading other posts and interviews on here, sounds like Polasek was enlightening the staff on just how predictable the Iowa offense was. Polasek's insights might be really valuable in this regard for the coming year...

Let's hope!
I wonder how much time he spent scouting Iowa's offense being an opposing team's offense coordinator.

433 points for in 2015
324 points for 2016
Yes and we also didn't play MI/PSU and we had 4 ooc games vs 3.
We also had WAY more ints.
We probably had more pick six as well.
We put up 28 vs NE in 2015....that wasn't thanks to the offense.

Not to mention we played an extra game in 15 and stanford let up a bit in the bowl game....FL didn't.

You can't just count points and say this O was better than that one....

Greg Davis didn't seem to be able to do it. I think KOK gets verticality a bit more so there's hope with him back on staff and I think BF is ok being aggressive and taking some more risk.

But soybean you have to admit having two 1000 yard backs, an award winning line, an NFL TE, and an NFL QB it is absolutely ridiculous Iowa had the 121st ranked offense in 2016.

So, back to your statement there wasn't much of a way to counter it in 2016, and I'll concede it could be MVB getting injured that sunk our ship in terms of passing.
A point to remember we had a NFL drafted QB, who hasn't been healthy for a year and a half. You watched CJB play last year. Did that look like the same guy who scrambled for big gains and kept opponents off balance in 2015? He sure didn't look like the same guy to me. Didn't help him losing MVB, and Kittle either, but he certainly didn't move nearly as well, or show the confidence to put the ball into tight windows last year. Especially after his guy, MVB went down. I'd still contend that he either hadn't fully recovered from sports hernia surgery, (at least mentally), or that supposed knee bruise in spring ball,(that had him wearing a knee brace all year,) was much more then was let out.

Reactions: dbrocket and Ree4
A point to remember we had a NFL drafted QB, who hasn't been healthy for a year and a half. You watched CJB play last year. Did that look like the same guy who scrambled for big gains and kept opponents off balance in 2015? He sure didn't look like the same guy to me. Didn't help him losing MVB, and Kittle either, but he certainly didn't move nearly as well, or show the confidence to put the ball into tight windows last year. Especially after his guy, MVB went down. I'd still contend that he either hadn't fully recovered from sports hernia surgery, (at least mentally), or that supposed knee bruise in spring ball,(that had him wearing a knee brace all year,) was much more then was let out.
The CJ that played in the 15 ISU game was nowhere to be found in 16.

Reactions: dbrocket
Everything written in this thread is completely dependent on having a competent BIG QB that can throw the ball, manage the game and avoid critical TO's.

To be a winning program in conference an bowl games, you have to be good at basic passing plays. We are not. We may be able to nickel and dime around the edges of a basic passing game, but every DC will be happy to force us to pass the ball.
We have a long way to go to develop a solid basic passing game that can work at the top end of conf play.

That was last year. Time will tell if it carries over but there's enough new parts both on the field and coaching on the sidelines that we really don't know what to expect.

Yes and we also didn't play MI/PSU and we had 4 ooc games vs 3.
We also had WAY more ints.
We probably had more pick six as well.
We put up 28 vs NE in 2015....that wasn't thanks to the offense.

Not to mention we played an extra game in 15 and stanford let up a bit in the bowl game....FL didn't.

You can't just count points and say this O was better than that one....

ok... our offense was worse in 2015.

I am sticking with 6-6. The strengths are being over-hyped and the losses however few along with the deficiencies are overlooked.

The OL is a very good run blocking line but it has also been one of the worst in pass-pro the past 2 seasons. Keep in mind we did not run the ball effectively against FLA's second string. A lot of improvement needed. Don't read too much into that bogus OL award.

QBs are inexperienced.

RBs & TEs are positions with depth and talent. The OL also features depth and experience. Definite strengths.

WRs are a decimated group with Vandeburg the only significant contributor. He's coming back from 2 breaks of the same foot in the past 12 months.

DL features good returning experience but lost arguably the best player on last year's defense in Jaleel Johnson. Bazata has been hurt recently too. The ends look solid but the interior has questions and will be forced to lean on young possibilities like Lattimore.

LBs have lots of experience with Jewell the headliner of the defense. The other two are so-so though.

Secondary lost arguably the first or second best player on defense in King who was a 4 year starter. Rumgamba looks promising and a few others like Johnson have played some but there could be a drop in overall play. The safeties are question marks too.

Special teams are a big question. Coluzzi was one of the best punters we have had in a while. Duncan looked good from 35 yards in but its shaky after that. Also need to find someone who can put the ball in the end zone on kickoffs because we can't cover.

New OC, staff charges will take part of the season to mesh and work out issues.

Schedule is much more difficult on paper than we have had in many seasons. I've seen a lot of folks picking us to upset PSU but they have taken us to the woodshed the past 3 meetings since JoePa departed. We rarely beat OSU. Tough opener with Wyoming and road games at ISU, MSU, NW, Wisky & Nebby. Minny is bringing the boat rower to town. This will be a tough game too.

I'm excited for the season just think we will finish 6-6.

I am sticking with 6-6. The strengths are being over-hyped and the losses however few along with the deficiencies are overlooked.

The OL is a very good run blocking line but it has also been one of the worst in pass-pro the past 2 seasons. Keep in mind we did not run the ball effectively against FLA's second string. A lot of improvement needed. Don't read too much into that bogus OL award.

QBs are inexperienced.

RBs & TEs are positions with depth and talent. The OL also features depth and experience. Definite strengths.

WRs are a decimated group with Vandeburg the only significant contributor. He's coming back from 2 breaks of the same foot in the past 12 months.

DL features good returning experience but lost arguably the best player on last year's defense in Jaleel Johnson. Bazata has been hurt recently too. The ends look solid but the interior has questions and will be forced to lean on young possibilities like Lattimore.

LBs have lots of experience with Jewell the headliner of the defense. The other two are so-so though.

Secondary lost arguably the first or second best player on defense in King who was a 4 year starter. Rumgamba looks promising and a few others like Johnson have played some but there could be a drop in overall play. The safeties are question marks too.

Special teams are a big question. Coluzzi was one of the best punters we have had in a while. Duncan looked good from 35 yards in but its shaky after that. Also need to find someone who can put the ball in the end zone on kickoffs because we can't cover.

Schedule is much more difficult on paper than we have had in many seasons. I've seen a lot of folks picking us to upset PSU but they have taken us to the woodshed the past 3 meetings since JoePa departed. We rarely beat OSU. Tough opener with Wyoming and road games at ISU, MSU, NW, Wisky & Nebby. Minny is bringing the boat rower to town. This will be a tough game too.

Not into predicting games but I will remind you last year schedule ended up being very difficult I'd be shocked if this one ends up much more so

The addition of Bulter is making me re-think how the Hawkeye games with Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State may play out. With him and Wadley running behind our offensive line I honestly don't think any of the other nine opponents have what it will take to stop the Hawks.

I think you have something here as long as our line can make their blocks and open up some holes! Pretty excited to see this kid this fall.

You mean the joe moore award winning offensive line with all 5 starters returning. Sounds reasonable.

QBs are inexperienced.

I have never seen a post that is so pessimistic, and so hard to argue with. Granted, you're expecting a lot of 50/50 issues to fall on the wrong side, but hard to argue confidently against any single one of them. That said, 6-6 is very possible.

Iowa has some provocative opportunities on offense with this addition. I read that Butler led the nation in making people miss. As others have suggested, it would seem Butler and Wadley should be on the field together about 80 percent of the time. Any OC with an imagination should be salivating at the many, many options...some untested...the Hawkeyes have. Multiple TEs, two of the quickest RBs in the country, some exciting potential among the freshmen WRs, a terrific O-line... Again, BF has the personnel to really make a mark on this Iowa offense from the first play of the season. If he has the creative gumption to take it, well, look out for the Hawkeyes.
Making people miss - this sounds great, but B10 has many LB's, DB's, safetys that are much better tacklers. But, hope he can continue to do this, could be exciting for offense.

I have never seen a post that is so pessimistic, and so hard to argue with. Granted, you're expecting a lot of 50/50 issues to fall on the wrong side, but hard to argue confidently against any single one of them. That said, 6-6 is very possible.

I'm not that concerned about the DL, especially with the returning LBs and the addition of AJ. I am worried about King being gone.

As for offense, I love that the OL and RB situation is solid. Depth at all positions is crucial (see NDSU game missing two OL and apparently/allegedly Wadley hurt in H2). Passing game sucked in 2016 and literally CANNOT get worse. Offense should be better, especially with misfit GDGD finally gone.

Special teams, well, maybe, I don't know. That's a fair concern I guess.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I'm not that concerned about the DL, especially with the returning LBs and the addition of AJ. I am worried about King being gone.

As for offense, I love that the OL and RB situation is solid. Depth at all positions is crucial (see NDSU game missing two OL and apparently/allegedly Wadley hurt in H2). Passing game sucked in 2016 and literally CANNOT get worse. Offense should be better, especially with misfit GDGD finally gone.

Special teams, well, maybe, I don't know. That's a fair concern I guess.

Obviously you and I arent buddies and in fact I daresay I irritate you immensely. With that said you've been a lot more open-minded and fair about your critiques of recent and even the gentleman above isnt being a jerk he's just a middle-of-the-road guy which is fine. I often times can be as well and in fact if the season gets off the rails ill move forward with my life and call it good.

With all that said...although I think Greg Davis received more harsh criticism then he deserved I will fully admit I was never against KOK I thought he was a pretty good coordinator and I think this offense will do a better job of testing the middle of the field which I readily agree we did not do enough.

And bringing this full circle those are the two areas of both units I'm the most concerned about; safety play & the quarterback being able to accurately throw the ball anywhere but in particular over the middle of the field.

I not only think we have two legitimate big 10 cornerbacks, I think we potentially have four and I base that on some of the readings I gleaned from Hawkeye game films Twitter feed over the last few months.

I also think we have two or three reserve linebackers that are more than capable of stepping in and filling the void for everybody except possibly Josey because he is so dynamic & maybe Ben Nieman to a degree because I think that's an exceptionally hard position to pick up on the go and I don't think people realize how exceptionally fast he really is!

My defense of GD only stems from my knowledge that the NFL uses that horizontal passing game constantly pretty much every team,in particular the Green Bay Packers. But I also don't think it's a natural fit for our power running and zone schemes.

But people forget that's what our fans were clamoring for when they let KOK go, they have short memories.

Last edited:
Everyone is assuming that our QB play will be somewhere between unacceptable and an outright disaster. I just chose to believe that a couple of 4 star recruits with a dedicated QB coach and at least 1 year in the program will be able guide a strong running game to acceptable results.

Obviously you and I arent buddies and in fact I daresay I irritate you immensely. With that said you've been a lot more open-minded and fair about your critiques of recent and even the gentleman above isnt being a jerk he's just a middle-of-the-road guy which is fine. I often times can be as well and in fact if the season gets off the rails ill move forward with my life and call it good.

With all that said...although I think Greg Davis received more harsh criticism then he deserved I will fully admit I was never against KOK I thought he was a pretty good coordinator and I think this offense will do a better job of testing the middle of the field which I readily agree we did not do enough.

And bringing this full circle those are the two areas of both units I'm the most concerned about; safety play & the quarterback being able to accurately throw the ball anywhere but in particular over the middle of the field.

I not only think we have two legitimate big 10 cornerbacks, I think we potentially have four and I base that on some of the readings I gleaned from Hawkeye game films Twitter feed over the last few months.

I also think we have two or three reserve linebackers that are more than capable of stepping in and filling the void for everybody except possibly Josey because he is so dynamic & maybe Ben Nieman to a degree because I think that's an exceptionally hard position to pick up on the go and I don't think people realize how exceptionally fast he really is!

My defense of GD only stems from my knowledge that the NFL uses that horizontal passing game constantly pretty much every team,in particular the Green Bay Packers. But I also don't think it's a natural fit for our power running and zone schemes.

But people forget that's what our fans were clamoring for when they let KOK go, they have short memories.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how things play out. I look at the season from the standpoint of whether the units are of B1G caliber or better.

On offense, the OL, RB and TE groups are all either proven or I'm confident Iowa has good enough athletes there to be an above-average B1G position group. WR, no. QB, big ?. It doesn't mean that a good story or 2 won't emerge from the WR group, but Iowa is basically counting on first-year freshmen to come through. That is not a good place to be in. I am cautiously optimistic about what Stanley can do as a QB. But I envision games where the opponent puts 11 guys within 4 yards of the LOS and dares Iowa go over the top. And the Hawks can't do it.

On defense, every position group is full of B1G caliber athletes. Yes, depth is a question at DT. But the depth at DE with Hesse, A. Nelson, M. Nelson, Epenesa, etc. can allow Iowa to easily switch guys inside if needed. At LB, 3 senior returning starters. In the secondary, not having Snyder could hurt and King was a generational player, but Iowa has B1G caliber athletes at every spot, and Parker has proven if he has the raw material he can make things work. Injuries happen to every team, it's just a matter of not having injuries to the key guys. I think the drop-off would be steep between Jewell and whoever his backup would be, and if A. Nelson were to get hurt I would be concerned.

I tend to fall on the more optimistic side. If Iowa can get to 3-0 a very nice season is in store. The new staff on the offense is going to have to help this team out and find a way to scheme some big plays. There are some pieces to work with, just a lot of questions that need to be answered positively.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how things play out. I look at the season from the standpoint of whether the units are of B1G caliber or better.

On offense, the OL, RB and TE groups are all either proven or I'm confident Iowa has good enough athletes there to be an above-average B1G position group. WR, no. QB, big ?. It doesn't mean that a good story or 2 won't emerge from the WR group, but Iowa is basically counting on first-year freshmen to come through. That is not a good place to be in. I am cautiously optimistic about what Stanley can do as a QB. But I envision games where the opponent puts 11 guys within 4 yards of the LOS and dares Iowa go over the top. And the Hawks can't do it.

On defense, every position group is full of B1G caliber athletes. Yes, depth is a question at DT. But the depth at DE with Hesse, A. Nelson, M. Nelson, Epenesa, etc. can allow Iowa to easily switch guys inside if needed. At LB, 3 senior returning starters. In the secondary, not having Snyder could hurt and King was a generational player, but Iowa has B1G caliber athletes at every spot, and Parker has proven if he has the raw material he can make things work. Injuries happen to every team, it's just a matter of not having injuries to the key guys. I think the drop-off would be steep between Jewell and whoever his backup would be, and if A. Nelson were to get hurt I would be concerned.

I tend to fall on the more optimistic side. If Iowa can get to 3-0 a very nice season is in store. The new staff on the offense is going to have to help this team out and find a way to scheme some big plays. There are some pieces to work with, just a lot of questions that need to be answered positively.

I'm not so certain the Hawks can't do it. In fact, I think they can. I think GD's offense combined with KF's steadfast commitment to "balance" was our biggest issue. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of this offense (well, it may not be pleasant for opposing fans). I could be wrong, but I see a whole bunch of changes that are highly likely to address the areas that caused our problems over the last 5 years. No way will I write off our passing game at this time.

Reactions: terrehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT