ADVERTISEMENT

The addition of James Butler changes the 2017 equasion.

The side of the equation that some folks might be forgetting is this:
  • Iowa's front 7 really could be pretty special on defense
  • Given that aforementioned front-seven, we could see a marked improvement against the run
  • Iowa could be susceptible to the pass, but I anticipate that having Anthony Nelson and Epenesa on the edges - I think that we'll be able to muster a controlled pass-rush too. Furthermore, I'm excited about the quickness and motor that Reiff brings to the table at DT.
  • With a strong defense and a running game that can force defenses to focus on defending the run - Iowa has a chance to possess the football if we can muster even a little consistency in the passing game.
The current situation reminds me a bit of Iowa's 2008 season. We had to break in a new QB and we had to rely on our running game to open up the passing game. Could be an interesting season. The biggest thing for this team will be how they respond to adversity. They're not going to be some behemoth of a program - however, if they learn from their mistakes and focus on improvement ... and if they support eachother and remain a tight-knit group .... they can overcome anything.

Reactions: Ree4
  • Given that aforementioned front-seven, we could see a marked improvement against the run
  • Iowa could be susceptible to the pass, but I anticipate that having Anthony Nelson and Epenesa on the edges - I think that we'll be able to muster a controlled pass-rush too. Furthermore, I'm excited about the quickness and motor that Reiff brings to the table at DT.
  • With a strong defense and a running game that can force defenses to focus on defending the run - Iowa has a chance to possess the football if we can muster even a little consistency in the passing game.
The current situation reminds me a bit of Iowa's 2008 season. We had to break in a new QB and we had to rely on our running game to open up the passing game. Could be an interesting season. The biggest thing for this team will be how they respond to adversity. They're not going to be some behemoth of a program - however, if they learn from their mistakes and focus on improvement ... and if they support eachother and remain a tight-knit group .... they can overcome anything.
Speaking of a motor, folks on here were saying that about Simon in the spring game. He looks more like a linebacker to me. I hope he and Gholston see the field. Some really interesting possible combos on the front four.

Anything can happen. What's interesting is you think this D could be special losing 2 of its best 3 players in Jaleel & King. You mention Reiff who has not played a meaningful snap yet. I agree at the ends we look to have depth, experience and maybe some pass rushers/play makers. We know what Jewell brings but the other 2 LBs were not great last season. We have youth and inexperience on the interior D that must come through. The vet Bazata has been battling injuries. I don't foresee this being a special D but hope to be surprised. We also do not have time to develop given the schedule. We have to be good from the start.

Anything can happen. What's interesting is you think this D could be special losing 2 of its best 3 players in Jaleel & King. You mention Reiff who has not played a meaningful snap yet. I agree at the ends we look to have depth, experience and maybe some pass rushers/play makers. We know what Jewell brings but the other 2 LBs were not great last season. We have youth and inexperience on the interior D that must come through. The vet Bazata has been battling injuries. I don't foresee this being a special D but hope to be surprised. We also do not have time to develop given the schedule. We have to be good from the start.

Jaleel, will be the toughest to replace I don't think we have a d lineman on his level and I'm sure if we did they would have played last year. So hopefully a Couple d lineman step up and step up big. his shoes will be hard to fill.

Reactions: And1Hawk
From reading other posts and interviews on here, sounds like Polasek was enlightening the staff on just how predictable the Iowa offense was. Polasek's insights might be really valuable in this regard for the coming year...

Let's hope!
EVERYONE has known over the years of what they expect to see from Iowa and how to prepare for them. But actually executing their game plan to stop us is another deal.

Reactions: greenelite
Jaleel, will be the toughest to replace I don't think we have a d lineman on his level and I'm sure if we did they would have played last year. So hopefully a Couple d lineman step up and step up big. his shoes will be hard to fill.

I agree - But with our D Line going against a really good O Line every day in practice they will be very good.....

A defense isn't about the individual, but rather how the parts fit together. Last year, Iowa's run D suffered primarily because we didn't protect the edges very well. Both Bower and Niemann started off the season shakily and our DEs were so concerned about mustering a pass-rush that they did a shoddy job at maintaining outside leverage.

Bazata, when healthy, is a fine player and a returning starter. Nobody has suggested that he won't be good to go come this fall. I agree that DT could be a concern if Bazata is limited. However, if Bazata returns and is healthy - then the implication of that is that we'd be returning no fewer than 4 defensive linemen that have starting experience. Quite apart from any lack of starts, Reiff and Lattimore still benefitted from practicing with upper stringers for a while now - against a salty offensive line, no less.

On top of having 3 experienced DEs ... Iowa also will have 3 young defensive ends coming "on-line" who are capable of supplying a varied skill-set and effectively "upping" the level of competition on the DL. In the past, Iowa had a bit more of a glut of guys who could play at DT ... and consequently, a guy like Mike Hardy (more of a DT) was forced into action at DE. We'll see the flip side of that this year. We'll see the possibility of having DEs play at DT if they're needed there.

What I see is a front 7 that returns at least 7 guys who now have more experience. More importantly, they have more experience playing TOGETHER - and that sort of thing is responsible for the unit being able to play faster and adjust to the offense more seamlessly.

Iowa had all new DTs in 2009 ... and that didn't seem to hurt the DL play one bit.

My primary worry about the Hawk D concerns communication in the secondary. King's loss WILL be felt. However, I also think that either Jackson or Rugamba provide us with an upgrade from Mabin. When Norm was coach - I never really worried about the LBs because he was a LB-guy (it was the position group he coached) .... similarly, I rarely get worked up over Iowa's secondary now because Phil is a DB-guy.

There was a knock on Jaleel ... and it essentially was the same knock that was on Carl ... both guys measured the intensity they put in on an every down basis. They could do an excellent job of occupying space AND they could be tough to block. However, we didn't see that on an every-down basis. That was one of the advantages of having smaller DTs like Babs, King, and Klug .... their conditioning and motor made them more troublesome to offenses because of the level of play they brought on an every-down basis.

As much as Jaleel's play could wow me ... I'll still take a high-motor guy like Babs over him any day of the week. The production speaks for itself. Iowa's quicker, high-motor DTs almost always garner more tackles and more TFLS. That allows for Iowa to defend the run with fewer hats in the box ... and it allows them to stall the drives of opposing Os with greater frequency.

There was a knock on Jaleel ... and it essentially was the same knock that was on Carl ... both guys measured the intensity they put in on an every down basis. They could do an excellent job of occupying space AND they could be tough to block. However, we didn't see that on an every-down basis. That was one of the advantages of having smaller DTs like Babs, King, and Klug .... their conditioning and motor made them more troublesome to offenses because of the level of play they brought on an every-down basis.

As much as Jaleel's play could wow me ... I'll still take a high-motor guy like Babs over him any day of the week. The production speaks for itself. Iowa's quicker, high-motor DTs almost always garner more tackles and more TFLS. That allows for Iowa to defend the run with fewer hats in the box ... and it allows them to stall the drives of opposing Os with greater frequency.

Why are we questioning the effort of Johnson and Davis? The reason that their ability to chase down plays later in seasons as opposed to earlier was the ridiculous amount of snaps Iowa asked them to play each game. Last year Johnson's productivity maintained throughout the season because Iowa had a viable 3rd d-tackle (Ekakite) who could play meaningful snaps. That rotation allowed the defense to play good football against Michigan and Nebraska late in the year.

Babineaux I wouldn't just call a high-motor guy. He was a darn good football player. You don't stay in the NFL for 15 years by just trying hard. When Iowa has had elite run defenses, it's been because the entire defense was good, not just due to quick DT's. 2004 had great players along the d-line in addition to Hodge and Greenway at LB and very good safeties. It all works together.

Why are we questioning the effort of Johnson and Davis? The reason that their ability to chase down plays later in seasons as opposed to earlier was the ridiculous amount of snaps Iowa asked them to play each game. Last year Johnson's productivity maintained throughout the season because Iowa had a viable 3rd d-tackle (Ekakite) who could play meaningful snaps. That rotation allowed the defense to play good football against Michigan and Nebraska late in the year.

Babineaux I wouldn't just call a high-motor guy. He was a darn good football player. You don't stay in the NFL for 15 years by just trying hard. When Iowa has had elite run defenses, it's been because the entire defense was good, not just due to quick DT's. 2004 had great players along the d-line in addition to Hodge and Greenway at LB and very good safeties. It all works together.
I urge you to check the snap counts of Iowa's prior top DTs too. Traditionally Iowa only has around a top 3 DTs anyhow. Our DL as a whole usually rotates only around 6 or 7 guys with regularity. The number of snaps Davis and Johnson played are no excuse - although, for "big guys" it's understandable how it could wear them down. There was a period of roughly a decade where Iowa simply didn't field a large space-filling DT. During those years, we also enjoyed some of our very best defenses too.

Also, if you parse what I wrote - I didn't claim that Johnson or Davis weren't trying hard. What I wrote is that they "measured their intensity" ... given their size, that is understandable that they might be more apt to get tired sooner. A good cross-country runner doesn't just sprint the entire race either - they have to measure what they do too. It's not necessarily a condemnation - however, it is a possible limitation. There will always be trade-offs. A guy who is smaller will often be quicker and more agile ... however, he'll also likely not bring the same raw power that a guy like Jaleel or Carl could bring forth.

Also, just because a player is a high-motor player doesn't mean that they aren't extremely talented. Kirk is on record commenting how the '04 ASU game was one of the few games where Babs played with poor technique. Even with his great quickness, athleticism, and motor ... it meant nothing when he played with poor leverage.

If you can rewatch the Iowa State game. When everyone was healthy, our offense was pretty darn good.
Iowa state was one of the worst D1 teams I have ever seen that night. They definitely changed that though as the season went along. Iowa vs Iowa st was similar to Iowa vs penn st imo

Anyone that doesnt realize that davis and Johnson had a tendency to take some plays off, doesnt pay attention or know what they are looking at.

This was a known issue. Particularly with CD

Anyone that doesnt realize that davis and Johnson had a tendency to take some plays off, doesnt pay attention or know what they are looking at.

This was a known issue. Particularly with CD
True. But JJ is an NFL DT. He will be rotated and bring it in that league. I really like our defensive line this year. Lots of options. I think they can legitimately split playing time for eight guys.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
The production speaks for itself. Iowa's quicker, high-motor DTs almost always garner more tackles and more TFLS.

Case-in-point: Mike Daniels. Best DT in the Ferentz era by a long shot IMO. He was/is a freak of nature with that first step/get off. Klug is another fantastic example.

I think Lattimore fits into that quicker mold moreso than the Davis/Jaleel style. I think he's going to be really good based on what I have seen out of him so far. The staff has been raving about Reiff as well and he's going to be a smaller, shootboxer type DT as well. Just need a plugger in the Kroul mold to compliment like what we have in Bazata.

Last edited:
Again i agree with the excitement about some of our younger players BUT it's absolutely unproven at this point. I see posts about 'special D' and 'lights out D' after losing 2 of the best 3 starters on D both of which were drafted into the NFL. That's not a we are going to be even better (at least right away) to me.

My concern is not that we do not have potential players to fill the gaps but the overlooked fact in do we have players who can fill the gap and play at a high level early, starting from game 1? Yes game 1 not in late October or November. That's too late to meet the expectations from a win-loss standpoint of some posters. The schedule difficulty could be very underrated this season especially the first 2 games, PSU + OSU and lots of tough road games. That's one of the reasons I see a 6-6 type of season. We have definite areas of perceived strength but multiple questions too. Few have even mentioned special teams which could be an issue also and as we all know we pray we can pass the ball a little this year.

I actually think our d-line is going to be just fine. I think bazata is going to be healthy lattimore will be just fine. If there's one thing we generally don't have to worry about it's our d-line. It's not like we have a bunch of untested guys that'll be plugged in there.

I actually think our d-line is going to be just fine. I think bazata is going to be healthy lattimore will be just fine. If there's one thing we generally don't have to worry about it's our d-line. It's not like we have a bunch of untested guys that'll be plugged in there.

Although I like Lattimore's potential a lot how many snaps did he play last year? In fact how many interior DTs are 'tested'? I see one in Bazata.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT