ADVERTISEMENT

The addition of James Butler changes the 2017 equasion.

Everyone is assuming that our QB play will be somewhere between unacceptable and an outright disaster. I just chose to believe that a couple of 4 star recruits with a dedicated QB coach and at least 1 year in the program will be able guide a strong running game to acceptable results.
Kirk Ferentz has a history of successful first year quarterbacks. I'm really not all that concerned about quarterback play I think neat Stanley will do a nice job. Nice enough at least.

I think the fact that we no longer have the Greg Davis "scared of your Shadow passing game" will be enough to keep Big Ten defenses honest for at least the first half of the season just based on being an unknown quantity

But I do think Brian Ferentz has a very aggressive personality and that will carry over into his scheme and play calling. I'm positive we'll see a lot more shots taken down the field and much more creativity and getting the ball to guys in space

Reactions: soybean
I'm not so certain the Hawks can't do it. In fact, I think they can. I think GD's offense combined with KF's steadfast commitment to "balance" was our biggest issue. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of this offense (well, it may not be pleasant for opposing fans). I could be wrong, but I see a whole bunch of changes that are highly likely to address the areas that caused our problems over the last 5 years. No way will I write off our passing game at this time.

If you're correct about this, and note I'm not saying it is wrong, then Iowa will be a top 25 team this year for sure. 10-2 or better with a lot of blowout wins in there.

I'm not sure how to rank order these, but the issues that need to be addressed:
* OL that can effectively pass block / RB that picks up blitz
* WRs that get separation
* QB that can find the open man
* Game plan or playbook that put our players in the best situation to succeed

All of these have to come together, but Iowa would be scary good if they do.

you gotta keep in mind...
with the addition of KOK... he's not just a good football helper...
he's a gawd dammed genius.

even if Iowa has to use back up O-lineman as wide receivers... he will develop the Quarterback to find ways to move the ball under all circumstances.

Nathan Stanzi... or Stanley.... whatever his name is... guaranteed future NFLer...
guarantee it.
I'm very excited

(Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me..)

Everyone is assuming that our QB play will be somewhere between unacceptable and an outright disaster. I just chose to believe that a couple of 4 star recruits with a dedicated QB coach and at least 1 year in the program will be able guide a strong running game to acceptable results.
I'd agree. Don't see how the passing game could be any worse this year then last. I think a couple of the WR will suprise, and the TE group will be WAY WAY better then last year. After Kittle went down we had nothing from a receiving threat there, and we tried to force feed Fant a little. I think this season he, and Hockenson will be ready, along with either Wiz, Beyer, and Cook, we should be athletic enough to stretch the seams. I also think with BF as OC and an assist from Okeefe we'll be placing more emphasis on this position. That should open up the WR's for more one on one scenarios. If we can be moderately effective throwing the ball, then the run game should be all down hill. Maybe I'll be disappointed, but I could see the Offense being much better then last season. Time will tell of course.

Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
My defense of GD only stems from my knowledge that the NFL uses that horizontal passing game constantly pretty much every team,in particular the Green Bay Packers. But I also don't think it's a natural fit for our power running and zone schemes.

OC are supposed to match available talent to the scheme and work with the position coaches to improve. GDGD never did this and there is no acceptable defense of his performance. Hiring GDGD was the worst decision KF made in his entire tenure.

Many college football fans make the mistake of trying to judge teams like they were pro teams. If a team gets a new QB fans know they likely have trouble adjusting to seasoned NFL defenses. They forget that the college game is different - its a constantly changing roster of young up and comers that can take over a shine just as often as they falter.

Just as Brad Banks, Nathan Chandler, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi and CJ Beathard did...our new QB this year can do as well. By mid-season I suspect most Iowa fans will nod knowingly that they predicted all along that Nathan Stanley was gonna be a star.

Kirk Ferentz has a history of successful first year quarterbacks. I'm really not all that concerned about quarterback play I think neat Stanley will do a nice job. Nice enough at least.

I think the fact that we no longer have the Greg Davis "scared of your Shadow passing game" will be enough to keep Big Ten defenses honest for at least the first half of the season just based on being an unknown quantity

But I do think Brian Ferentz has a very aggressive personality and that will carry over into his scheme and play calling. I'm positive we'll see a lot more shots taken down the field and much more creativity and getting the ball to guys in space
A wheelhouse to Wadley. 10 yards to Fant. 12 yards to MVB. Over the top to B. Smith. A flare to Bailey. I think we will be fine.

Did the equation change from AW = Offense to AW + JB = Offense?

Many college football fans make the mistake of trying to judge teams like they were pro teams. If a team gets a new QB fans know they likely have trouble adjusting to seasoned NFL defenses. They forget that the college game is different - its a constantly changing roster of young up and comers that can take over a shine just as often as they falter.

Just as Brad Banks, Nathan Chandler, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi and CJ Beathard did...our new QB this year can do as well. By mid-season I suspect most Iowa fans will nod knowingly that they predicted all along that Nathan Stanley was gonna be a star.

This. Virtually every star was either an unknown or a marginal performer before they took flight.

The tutaledge of KOK will be a huge factor for these Qbs. A position only job for him - great stuff for the Iowa Offense.

Reactions: terrehawk
It's nice to give Toren Young another year to season up. He's gonna be a handful when it's his turn for showtime.
I'm not convinced this new guy is going to beat out Young for 2nd string carries to Akrum. That's a nod to Young but also based on KF teams playing guys that know the playbook more etc..

Reactions: kceasthawk
Ferentz is just setting y'all up so he pull one of the most Ferentz moves of all time. He's bringing Butler in and he's rarely going to let him see the field.

How many guys has KF brought in with over a 1300 yds rushing and graduated in 3 years. The only thing close to this would of been the punter last year

Reactions: cmhawks99
How many guys has KF brought in with over a 1300 yds rushing and graduated in 3 years. The only thing close to this would of been the punter last year

No offense to Colluzi, but getting an impact player with the ball in his hands more is a way better grad transfer.

No offense to Colluzi, but getting an impact player with the ball in his hands more is a way better grad transfer.
I agree my point was KF will play the young man if he is ready and this kid is ready just like Colluzi was ready to take over.Some of the other post talk like this young man is an Avg JC kid coming in

So in a grad transfers case they have to enroll in grad school or take classes toward another or higher degree, correct? Do grad transfers get schorship money from the school they transfer too for grad school for participating in sports??? If so that's a pretty sweet deal to get a whole year of expensive GS paid for too!

Ferentz is just setting y'all up so he pull one of the most Ferentz moves of all time. He's bringing Butler in and he's rarely going to let him see the field.

What if it's just the opposite and we don't see as much of Wadley as we'd like because Coach likes the way Butler handles his business better.....

I'm not convinced this new guy is going to beat out Young for 2nd string carries to Akrum. That's a nod to Young but also based on KF teams playing guys that know the playbook more etc..
I've been thinking the same thing. Yes Butler is a proven talent at the college level, but I still expect we'll see some of Mr. Young this year. I think we'll see a decent dose of all three initially. Butler will only be at Iowa a few weeks before the first game, so he'll have some catching up,and fitting in to do. The guy I think who will be put back burner this year, barring an injury is Toks.

I agree my point was KF will play the young man if he is ready and this kid is ready just like Colluzi was ready to take over.Some of the other post talk like this young man is an Avg JC kid coming in
True enough, but we didn't have a seasoned punter last year, so Colluzi won the job almost by default. That will not be the case for Mr. Butler. Don't get me wrong, Im thrilled about this addition, and expect him to have a significant impact. It will be interesting to see how it unfold between Wadley, Butler, Young and Toks.

This means that we know we have to run the ball even more than we already do because of the huge question marks at QB & WR. It's not known if Wadley can shoulder an even greater load so the Butler signing hedges our bets that we will pound the rock with 4 backs ready to go in the stables and an OL that can run block but not protect the QB consistently. Play to your strengths until the QB can sort itself out and WR targets can emerge. Early season pass game will feature the TEs.

Keep in mind with this schedule if we are truly going to do better than 6-6 we can't be dinking around for a half season figuring stuff out. The ONLY chance at a good season is to come out of the gates swinging and go 3-0 in the non-con. Before you scoff go back in KFs tenure and count the number of times we have swept the non-con. Last time was 2015 and low and behold we went 12-0 in the regular season.

I suspect Butler was as much a signal about Brian's influence than KF wanting to bring another RB in. Changing of the guard my friends.

This means that we know we have to run the ball even more than we already do because of the huge question marks at QB & WR. It's not known if Wadley can shoulder an even greater load so the Butler signing hedges our bets that we will pound the rock with 4 backs ready to go in the stables and an OL that can run block but not protect the QB consistently. Play to your strengths until the QB can sort itself out and WR targets can emerge. Early season pass game will feature the TEs.

Keep in mind with this schedule if we are truly going to do better than 6-6 we can't be dinking around for a half season figuring stuff out. The ONLY chance at a good season is to come out of the gates swinging and go 3-0 in the non-con. Before you scoff go back in KFs tenure and count the number of times we have swept the non-con. Last time was 2015 and low and behold we went 12-0 in the regular season.

I suspect Butler was as much a signal about Brian's influence than KF wanting to bring another RB in. Changing of the guard my friends.
I'm hopeful that we'll see a signifcant improvement in pass pro this year. One more year of experience for all involved. Something like 99 combined career starts. Injuries the last two seasons slowed the progress at tackle, and made it harder for the line to gell in pass pro, which demands that the entire group work as one. I'm looking for a solid year from Ike, who's struggled staying healthy the last year and a half. I also think that CJ himself contributed to some of the protection issues last year. Part of this may have been due to wideouts not getting open, but he seemed to hold onto the ball too long, and seemed to have poor pocket awareness. He was plenty tough hanging in, but took too many unnecessary hits. I think bringing O'keefe in to work with the QB's will be a positive step in their decision making.

Well with all due respect intended, I can't hardly imagine any school with the exception of possibly Alabama and maybe Ohio state, hat wouldn't take this kind of talent on a one year basis. There honestly isn't much to lose.

Don't misunderstand me I get what you're saying and he will have to pick the offense up quick, but let's drill down on that. These are the kind of things I'm talking about when I encourage people to really think things through and look at all sides of an issue.

If I understand things correctly he graduated in three years at a big school. Now Nevada isnt Harvard but it's not a terrible school either. Think about that... he graduated in three years while playing major college football, pretty damn impressive and pretty indicative of his intelligence level. Be pretty shocking for him not to pick the offense up almost immediately. 2nd of all, per his videos he's already better at picking up the blitz than Wadley, and as a four year senior almost has to be better than either of the two younger or 4 younger running back's and he's also already an accomplished pass catcher (on a team that needs pass catchers) so it would be shocking for him not to come in and be ready to rock 'n' roll.

And again I'm not being optimistic here I'm just counting the numbers as they have been presented to me. Do I think Young will still be instrumental? Yes......do I think Wadley still start??yes..... but at the same point in time as others have postulated this kid could end up being even more dynamic and explosive than Wadley, and I have to admit I'm secretly chuckling about the fan fallout from that.

I know some of our fans, many in fact, like to paint KF in this awww shucks were just little old Iowa, got our head stuck in the sand types out here, but he's a really smart man and he wouldn't have needed much prodding from Brian to take a swing at this one.

Also I think this is going to be a super season but I will agree with one point; if we can't beat Iowa State and I'm not saying we will I think it will be a tense battle. We will not be better than six and six or seven and five, if we win I would expect us to win 9+

On a last note as a grad transfer Colluzzi did an awesome awesome job for us!

Last edited:
I doubt very much the conversation with Bailey was, you are welcome to come on board and compete for playing time. This young man is focused on playing in the NFL. Before he committed we had four viable RBs (is Jolly even still there?). That's thin. I'm guessing the conversation was more like, we can get you 12-15 touches per game. I see 2500 all purpose yards between him and Akrum.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The addition of Bulter is making me re-think how the Hawkeye games with Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State may play out. With him and Wadley running behind our offensive line I honestly don't think any of the other nine opponents have what it will take to stop the Hawks.

Better hope we have something that resembles a passing game or it will be 9-10 in the Box. Great addition to the Team.

The RB position is not the same, outside of pass pro. A good new or young rb can get on the field pretty quickly.

Third down type plays early on might be the only situation where the new guy has the advantage of talent is equal

I'm hoping for wishbone or wildcat, but I already know we'll likely just get a steady dose of power I or I form schemes. I'm optimistic about what type of formations Brian F will use.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Well with all due respect intended, I can't hardly imagine any school with the exception of possibly Alabama and maybe Ohio state, hat wouldn't take this kind of talent on a one year basis. There honestly isn't much to lose.

Don't misunderstand me I get what you're saying and he will have to pick the offense up quick, but let's drill down on that. These are the kind of things I'm talking about when I encourage people to really think things through and look at all sides of an issue.

If I understand things correctly he graduated in three years at a big school. Now Nevada isnt Harvard but it's not a terrible school either. Think about that... he graduated in three years while playing major college football, pretty damn impressive and pretty indicative of his intelligence level. Be pretty shocking for him not to pick the offense up almost immediately. 2nd of all, per his videos he's already better at picking up the blitz than Wadley, and as a four year senior almost has to be better than either of the two younger or 4 younger running back's and he's also already an accomplished pass catcher (on a team that needs pass catchers) so it would be shocking for him not to come in and be ready to rock 'n' roll.

And again I'm not being optimistic here I'm just counting the numbers as they have been presented to me. Do I think Young will still be instrumental? Yes......do I think Wadley still start??yes..... but at the same point in time as others have postulated this kid could end up being even more dynamic and explosive than Wadley, and I have to admit I'm secretly chuckling about the fan fallout from that.

I know some of our fans, many in fact, like to paint KF in this awww shucks were just little old Iowa, got our head stuck in the sand types out here, but he's a really smart man and he wouldn't have needed much prodding from Brian to take a swing at this one.

Also I think this is going to be a super season but I will agree with one point; if we can't beat Iowa State and I'm not saying we will I think it will be a tense battle. We will not be better than six and six or seven and five, if we win I would expect us to win 9+

Nice work here.

Indeed! Gotta believe he's ready to get Work!

In addition to graduating in 3 years, I believe I saw an article that mentioned he had a different OC each year he played at Nevada. I'm not sure if that means there was a new offense each time, but it may be he's used to learning a new offense quickly. He probably never had to do it in six weeks ever, but as was mentioned above he must be brilliant with a good work ethic to graduate in 3 years while playing college football.

Ferentz has Polasek at his right arm. NDSU shredded Iowa the last few years. If you think they will not tap that knowledge base and do not intend to move him into the OC position once Brian moves up you are daft.

Additionally, the one two punch Butler brings to the Hawkeyes will wear an defense out.

This is an absolutely huge pickup. We now have at least two NFL RBs, an NFL caliber WR, at least 1 NFL caliber TE, at least 4 draft picks on the starting OL (and a few more behind them), and a QB with great arm strength. Deep at DE, Bazata will do his job, Lattimore will break out, and the best Iowa DE recruit ever is coming in. I like what A. Nelson and Hesse bring to the table but we need more production and disruption. Love the FR WRs. Jewell, Neimann, Bower/A. Jones are formidable. Rugumba, Jackson, Ojemudia are quite good but safety play is a ? with Snyder out.

Great staff in place right now. There's a lot to like about what's going on with Iowa football.

Last edited:
Greenlite, I love your enthusiasm.

I agree the talent is intriguing, the o-line should be very salty, quite a bit of experience returning. Not necessarily sold on 4 being drafted(could happen), but definitely should be our offensive strength.

I like the young talent at the skill positions, but outside of rb, we have very little experience. If MVB, Fant, Easley, Butler & Wadley can stay healthy and give our young receiving corp some time to develop, this could be a great year.

This is an absolutely huge pickup. We now have at least two NFL RBs, an NFL caliber WR, at least 1 NFL caliber TE, at least 4 draft picks on the starting OL (and a few more behind them), and a QB with great arm strength. Deep at DE, Bazata will do his job, Lattimore will break out, and the best Iowa DE recruit ever is coming in. I like what A. Nelson and Hesse bring to the table but we need more production and disruption. Love the FR WRs. Jewell, Neimann, Bower/A. Jones are formidable. Rugumba, Jackson, Ojemudia are quite good but safety play is a ? with Snyder out.

Great staff in place right now. There's a lot to like about what's going on with Iowa football.
I will have what he's having

Reactions: jo2knight
Ferentz has Polasek at his right arm. NDSU shredded Iowa the last few years. If you think they will not tap that knowledge base and do not intend to move him into the OC position once Brian moves up you are daft.

Additionally, the one two punch Butler brings to the Hawkeyes will wear an defense out.

NDSU "shredded" Iowa "the last few years"??

We played them once and they squeaked out a win. Did I miss the shredding?

NDSU "shredded" Iowa "the last few years"??

We played them once and they squeaked out a win. Did I miss the shredding?
I was perplexed by that statement as well. Didn't remember the bison being a regular on our non con schedule. I do agree however that coach Polasek will have a key role in Iowa's prep for the opener against the cowboys.

Stanley - drafted/signed
Wadley - drafted
Butler - drafted/signed
Vandeberg - drafted/signed
Fant - Drafted.
Welsh, Daniels, Ike, Myers, Alaric Jackson - All drafted. Welsh and Daniels are 1-3 rounders.
Jewell - Drafted
Rugumba - Drafted
Epenesa - Drafted
Lattimore - Drafted
A. Nelson - Drafted/signed
Bower, Neimann, Hesse, Bazata, Taylor, Jackson, Ojemudia, Snyder - All signed

Basically the entire defense is going to get a shot in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
Stanley - drafted/signed
Wadley - drafted
Butler - drafted/signed
Vandeberg - drafted/signed
Fant - Drafted.
Welsh, Daniels, Ike, Myers - All drafted. Welsh and Daniels are 1-3 rounders.
Jewell - Drafted
Rugumba - Drafted
Epenesa - Drafted
Lattimore - Drafted
A. Nelson - Drafted
Bower, Neimann, Hesse, Bazata, Taylor, Jackson, Ojemudia - All signed

Definitely agree with your hinking here. I believe the safety play and quarterback play even above wide receiver is the key to our season. I believe raw draftable talent I s very high and in some positions quite deep!

I've been thinking the same thing. Yes Butler is a proven talent at the college level, but I still expect we'll see some of Mr. Young this year. I think we'll see a decent dose of all three initially. Butler will only be at Iowa a few weeks before the first game, so he'll have some catching up,and fitting in to do. The guy I think who will be put back burner this year, barring an injury is Toks.

A lot of dependencies here. If no injuries occur, Wadley and Butler will take the vast majority of meaningful carries. Iowa wouldn't have accepted Butler as a grad transfer (and being 1 of the 85 scholarships for this year) if they weren't 99% sure he was going to play a lot this year. Same with Coluzzi last year. Yes, there was a competition, but the reason Iowa accepted Coluzzi was because he was better than what Iowa had on the roster.

Of course other RB's will play if injuries occur to Wadley and/or Butler. And I would say it's more likely than not that injuries will occur.

Butler has played in 2 different schemes already in his college career (Iowa will be his 3rd). Running back is one of the positions where a new guy can contribute right away. Yes, he has to understand the terminology, where he blocks, etc., but RB's either have the things that can't be taught or the don't. And Butler's film shows that he does have the things you can't teach.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT