ADVERTISEMENT

The Deficit We Have vs the Deficit We Imagine

The ultimate death tax.

To be clear you are talking about just having them murdered in droves right? Otherwise all you are really doing via taxing their estates is taking money away from their Xer and Millennial kids.

So Social Security should be fine until 2034. That's good for Boomers, for the rest of us Social Security can be saved by increasing taxes or increasing the SSNRA along with benefit reductions. In either case, this wouldn't be the first time the Boomer generation left a mess for the rest of us to clean up. You remember that Pension we earned just by working for that company? Yeah, me neither.
Oh, eff you Insane! You will find out in time and then you'll be the generation that effed up everything! That is how it works.m Each generation deals with things the best they can. You and yours will be no different than me and mine...than my parents and theirs. You are an idiot to blame YOUR problems on everyone but you....and quite American, too. Buck up, buttercup.

There's over 2 trillion dollars in the Social Security fund. It is not in danger of going bankrupt any time soon. We have far more pressing fiscal issues than that right now, starting with the cost of health care.

Last edited:
No it's not. That's a lie to get you to try and support getting rid of social security because "it's already gone".

No, that's the case. Your link references Johnsons efforts to minimize the scope of the deficits his guns and butter policies were running through accounting chicanery but the underlying system indeed never changed.
The surplus for Social Security and Medicare (taxes receipts in excess of payments in a given year) went to the Treasury and they provided an IOU.
There is no cash or other asset to draw upon in the 'trust fund'. If SSA goes to the Treasury to redeem one of those IOUs then the Treasury will have to borrow from the public by issuing 'debt held by the public'.
If you think that isn't not how it works, please explain how you think it functions.

Why do you think they want to privatize it so badly?

I want it privatized because I'd rather have an account I have property rights to than a promise from a politician who won't be around when I want to collect. Add in that this ponzi takes almost 15% of wage income and offers someone my age a break even return before even considering the existing solvency concerns and I'd love to see it privatized.
I'm not optimistic, because ponzis are popular for a reason...

No, that's the case. Your link references Johnsons efforts to minimize the scope of the deficits his guns and butter policies were running through accounting chicanery but the underlying system indeed never changed.
The surplus for Social Security and Medicare (taxes receipts in excess of payments in a given year) went to the Treasury and they provided an IOU.
There is no cash or other asset to draw upon in the 'trust fund'. If SSA goes to the Treasury to redeem one of those IOUs then the Treasury will have to borrow from the public by issuing 'debt held by the public'.
If you think that isn't not how it works, please explain how you think it functions.

I want it privatized because I'd rather have an account I have property rights to than a promise from a politician who won't be around when I want to collect. Add in that this ponzi takes almost 15% of wage income and offers someone my age a break even return before even considering the existing solvency concerns and I'd love to see it privatized.
The "Ponzi Scheme" will become a reality once you let the private sector rape this fund.

Reactions: BioHawk
I'm just going to leave this here so some of you can learn about the federal budget. Unlike other garbage I see on here, this is a non-partisan website. Hopefully you will read it.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-federal-budget-breakdown-3305789

BTW - this might make you wonder why you vote the way you do.
I’d characterize that article as fairly partisan as it focused exclusively on budget cuts rather than raising revenues as the solution. Pretty one sided.

True . . . and yet....

The GOP has been claiming it's part if the deficit for a long time and I'd wager most Rs believe that.

Plus they have been doing their best to drive SS into insolvency so they can take it down. Standard GOP playbook.

The likelihood is that they will eventually succeed because they don't actually want to make SS solvent. They will prevent the easy fixes. Just like they have done with Obamacare. If you want something to fail, you block fixing it.

What's even worse is that they have many Americans convinced that the way to make SS solvent is by cutting benefits in a variety of ways.

There ARE sensible ways to both improve SS and make it solvent, but we are unlikely to get them through a government with any branch under GOP control.
You know better than this. Contrary to popular opinion...the GOP LOOOOOVES them some big government. You have a better chance of seeing Freddie Mercury pregnant before they dismantle SS. It's a charade. It is taxes already siphoned off of the public. Ain't no way they are going to give that back. Nor will they commit political suicide taking on the AARP.

Holy Christ. Ponzi scheme? You just can't fix stupid.

Reactions: unIowa
You know better than this. Contrary to popular opinion...the GOP LOOOOOVES them some big government. You have a better chance of seeing Freddie Mercury pregnant before they dismantle SS. It's a charade. It is taxes already siphoned off of the public. Ain't no way they are going to give that back. Nor will they commit political suicide taking on the AARP.
Well Nat...for all you thinkin' its just more taxes.....just send me you benefit checks when they come due. "Siphoned off" the public> After cashing them a few years, you will never convince me. Sorry comrade. Sorry you Russians have nothing even close to SS. What a country!

Well Nat...for all you thinkin' its just more taxes.....just send me you benefit checks when they come due. "Siphoned off" the public> After cashing them a few years, you will never convince me. Sorry comrade. Sorry you Russians have nothing even close to SS. What a country!
You're just a parasite sucking off the federal teat. If it's such a great deal as you proclaim, why are we worried about its survival? The Russians aren't $210 Trillion in debt either. Imagine that.

Holy Christ. Ponzi scheme? You just can't fix stupid.

Agreed, but ignorance can be cured with information and an open mind.
A ponzi is a scheme where the contributions are not invested into earning assets, but instead are recycled to pay disbursements (after a skim by the management).
Because there is no underlying profit producing asset the scheme can’t ultimately return to the investors what has been taken in contributions.
Public support for this ponzi was established by an early payment schedule that returned a large multiple of contributions. But that is no longer the case.
What started as a 2% tax on wages is now over 15%. The payout future generations can expect is going to represent a negative return on their investment.
If this ponzi was run without the force of law compelling contributions ‘investors’ would have fled already.

Id say move to Russia...but you already have. Have a gr8 night, comrade.
That's where parasites go. Not sure why you want that here in our country. You're passing the debt onto the next generation of children, you greedy bastid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT