ADVERTISEMENT

The GOP wants to rename Dulles Airport after a terrorist

It'll inevitably fail, but those six can/will go back to trump with "See what we tried to do for you?!?!" to garner his favor. So in that way, it's a short-term win for them, because he'll totally be impressed by their kowtowing - until he's got a new/better reason to throw them under the bus.

It'll inevitably fail, but those six can/will go back to trump with "See what we tried to do for you?!?!" to garner his favor. So in that way, it's a short-term win for them, because he'll totally be impressed by their kowtowing - until he's got a new/better reason to throw them under the bus.
If it fails, he now has an excuse to rename it by executive order when he's back in the White House . . . or should I say the Trump House?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
At first I thought you were talking about Obama since he droned thousands of innocent women and children to death.

I'd be happy to fly into Trump International Airport.

At first I thought you were talking about Obama since he droned thousands of innocent women and children to death.

Thousands?

I wasn't happy with Obama on this score, but no need to exaggerate the numbers. Unless maybe you're right and can point us to those numbers.

Curious why the federal government has the power to name it anything. Are all airports named by the federal government?

Trump had more drone strikes than Obama. But you don’t care

Reactions: EasyHawk
Thousands?

I wasn't happy with Obama on this score, but no need to exaggerate the numbers. Unless maybe you're right and can point us to those numbers.
I WAS exaggerating the numbers. My apologies. Here are the true numbers from a Council on Foreign Relations report:

Less than two weeks ago, the United States conducted a drone strike over central Yemen, killing one al-Qaeda operative. The strike was the last under Obama (that we know of). The 542 drone strikes that Obama authorized killed an estimated 3,797 people, including 324 civilians. As he reportedly told senior aides in 2011: “Turns out I’m really good at killing people. Didn’t know that was gonna be a strong suit of mine.”

I WAS exaggerating the numbers. My apologies. Here are the true numbers from a Council on Foreign Relations report:

Less than two weeks ago, the United States conducted a drone strike over central Yemen, killing one al-Qaeda operative. The strike was the last under Obama (that we know of). The 542 drone strikes that Obama authorized killed an estimated 3,797 people, including 324 civilians. As he reportedly told senior aides in 2011: “Turns out I’m really good at killing people. Didn’t know that was gonna be a strong suit of mine.”

More than I knew about. Thanks. And if I had to bet, I'd bet the civilian toll is a significant undercount.

I'm not opposed to carefully targeted drone strikes on genuine bad guys, but the argument over drones is sort of like the argument over tasers. The idea in each case it to reduce the harm while still being effective. But when you see cops tasering peaceful demonstrators sitting on the ground, it becomes clear that tasers can also add to the harm rather than replace it. I have a similar concern about drones, to the extent it just makes it easier to kill people.

Of course that was then - when drone usage was novel and limited. In Ukraine it seems to have become a dominant and sometimes indiscriminate aspect of modern warfare.

More than I knew about. Thanks. And if I had to bet, I'd bet the civilian toll is a significant undercount.

I'm not opposed to carefully targeted drone strikes on genuine bad guys, but the argument over drones is sort of like the argument over tasers. The idea in each case it to reduce the harm while still being effective. But when you see cops tasering peaceful demonstrators sitting on the ground, it becomes clear that tasers can also add to the harm rather than replace it. I have a similar concern about drones, to the extent it just makes it easier to kill people.

Of course that was then - when drone usage was novel and limited. In Ukraine it seems to have become a dominant and sometimes indiscriminate aspect of modern warfare.
You're welcome. I have mixed feeling about drones as well. It certainly does make it easier to kill someone when you're thousands of miles of away. It seems as though it makes it more of a "game" rather than real life. I also agree on the undercount of civilians. How could there not be more collateral damage?

They reversed the naming of Cape Kennedy back to Cape Canaveral. Now they want to rename Dulles after a twice-impeached and multiply-indicted failed president.

They shouldn't be allowed to name things.
I'm a general believer in this principle, particularly when I drive out to Dulles taking Langston Boulevard. I suspect it'll occur to me as well if I ever go to church at University Chapel when I move to Lexington this summer.

91 posts over 16 years. THIS is the topic that gets you back out. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
I am IMCC965 as I've stated before. I've been on here a LOOOOONNGGG time. This handle was my first. The site reverted to my first handle after my credit card was compromised and I didn't have it updated. So, there you go.

I am IMCC965 as I've stated before. I've been on here a LOOOOONNGGG time. This handle was my first. The site reverted to my first handle after my credit card was compromised and I didn't have it updated. So, there you go.
Some of us have had different handles over the years without hiding that fact. Nice to see you are among that group.

If it had his name on it he would think he owns it. Try to get a cut from every plane that lands at Trump International Airport.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT