ADVERTISEMENT

"The greatest wrestling training facility...in the world" - We need this

Damn that's detailed and I can't argue against anything. This is a must and hopefully Barta opens his eyes to the needs of this complex!

Great write up Todd!

Great write up. Nice checklist of needed items. I really like the idea that the mats can be taken out and banquets could be held in the room.

Still having a hard time getting over all of that money wasted on the lottery though.

http://iowawrestlingblog.com/2017/04/the-greatest-wrestling-training-facility-in-the-world/

For questions, please contact me by email: iclius10@gmail.com

I am now up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IowaWrestlingFan/
and on Twiiter at https://twitter.com/iawrestlingfan

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling Fan.

Go Hawks!
Nice work. I was there for Oky St duel in 1983 and have also gotten my share of parking tickets in the Carver lot while working out in the room. Only things I would comment on are: who the facility would end up being named for...hard to argue with the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex, however, most likely need to be named after the lead donor. The bell cow needed to make any fund raising effort succeed. Plus also need a state of the art video center to watch and analyze tape. You may have included that and I just missed it. Assume you will be at the HWC banquet, we should talk.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Now that was a fun and exciting read! I would suggest making the complex 3 or 4 stories, so there are plenty of steps for the fellas to run...:);)

I would also add, we should all save our quarters and get them to Berhow for the parking meter!

Now that was a fun and exciting read! I would suggest making the complex 3 or 4 stories, so there are plenty of steps for the fellas to run...:);)

I would also add, we should all save our quarters and get them to Berhow for the parking meter!

A place that swank needs escalators. Just make sure to budget for an adjustable speed model and let the wrestlers take the escalators…. in the opposite direction as intended.:D

That was looooooooooong. It would be interesting to see what companies would be willing to pay in order to sponsor something like that.

love what you guys are doing here. if i were you i would get a hold of donald trump and see if he would get someone to spearhead the contracting aspect of the project. say what you will but he is a wrestling fan and knows how to cut the red tape which i feel will be your greatest headwind.

35 million seemed formidable a week ago but with the grassroots momentum not so much now. i think you guys can do this and sooner than you think.

jerry lewis type iptv marathon weekend event.?

Sounds good to me! The details of the physical layout, location, etc., can be figured out, but we need Barta's approval and a boatload of cash to get this thing going. I think Barta's approval will be forthcoming, and we're already started on the cash end of things. Private donations from the biggest and most passionate fan base in the sport, including some "big fish" who really make a splash, plus corporate sponsors of the HWC, plus numerous corporate entities around the state as summarized by Todd, and we're in business.

This process has already begun, and we're just getting started. Gotta keep up the momentum, get that "greatest facility in the world" built, get that HWC endowed, and keep those stud recruits rolling in. And our legendary fan base will be pushing to reach its goals and supporting our guys like nobody has ever seen in college wrestling.

It's great to be a Hawkeye, and it's F*** to be part of something unique and special. Really, this is the kind of experience that life's all about. Who WOULDN'T want to get in on this?! LET'S DO THIS!!!

The David Wooderson Wrestling Complex--Nickname "The Wood Shed"

Nothing says f** like that guy

matthew-mcconaughey-as-david-wooderson.jpeg

Todd great job, you know how to write so good and get all the facts etc.
I would like to nomitate (sp) (only 8th grade education) you to write something
like this and send it to the holywood actor was it Kucher or something like that he is a grad from Iowa and bet he would donate just a thought. Lets get this show moving..

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Todd great job, you know how to write so good and get all the facts etc.
I would like to nomitate (sp) (only 8th grade education) you to write something
like this and send it to the holywood actor was it Kucher or something like that he is a grad from Iowa and bet he would donate just a thought. Lets get this show moving..
Great idea...already done.

Great idea...already done.

Even if A+K was a catalyst for a major fund raiser. Would think with his creativity, social media presence and genius he could raise some external funds pretty quickly beyond the scope of Hawk fans and wrestling fans.
"Okay fans and twitterverse....I am going to create the greatest training facility in the world, but I am going to need your help"............

Reactions: el dub
AWE-SOME!!!!

Nice work Todd.

Just to reemphasize a key point:

<<The biggest obstacle, by far, is getting the University of Iowa to get behind this project and say it is a go. Get this project to the point that Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta has a news conference to announce the beginning of the fundraising to build “The greatest wrestling training facility…in the world,” and it is a done deal.>>

I wrote Gary Barta an email last week, asking politely for help, to support the coaches, facility and HWC.... basically help get Iowa wrestling back on top, but have gotten no reply.

Has anyone gotten a reply or any sense of if admin can get behind this thing? It's hard for me to fathom an AD at U of Iowa not wanting to help Iowa wrestling.

Even if A+K was a catalyst for a major fund raiser. Would think with his creativity, social media presence and genius he could raise some external funds pretty quickly beyond the scope of Hawk fans and wrestling fans.
"Okay fans and twitterverse....I am going to create the greatest training facility in the world, but I am going to need your help"............

I would wait for an outcome before we put any big donor names out there. Most of those folks value their privacy I'm guessing.

Reactions: bbwretler
I would wait for an outcome before we put any big donor names out there. Most of those folks value their privacy I'm guessing.
Yeah, but I am OK with the self aggrandizing ego maniac billionaire that loves being an attention whore when it comes to funding my project.

Reactions: honkey69
AWE-SOME!!!!

Nice work Todd.

<<The biggest obstacle, by far, is getting the University of Iowa to get behind this project and say it is a go. Get this project to the point that Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta has a news conference to announce the beginning of the fundraising to build “The greatest wrestling training facility…in the world,” and it is a done deal.>>

I wrote Gary Barta an email last week, asking politely for help, to support the coaches, facility and HWC.... basically help get Iowa wrestling back on top, but have gotten no reply.

Has anyone gotten a reply or any sense of if admin can get behind this thing? It's hard for me to fathom an AD at U of Iowa not wanting to help Iowa wrestling.

I sent Barta an email over the weekend, but I doubt I'll get a response. I put "Donation" in the subject line, and the only donation I gave in the email was my opinion that Iowa should build a new training facility.

AWE-SOME!!!!

Nice work Todd.

I had the pleasure of visiting with Tom and Luke yesterday. He wants a facility that will be great for a long time. I will be supporting it with 1 million and discussing with other potential donors, the Foundation, and Athletic Dept. I didn't ask about the size or cost of the facility, it's conceptual now. Staff wants to get this done.

I was not a wrestler, but love the sport. I'm standing up and asking/challenging/pushing others to match me or do what you are able to do. Iowa = Wrestling, it's in an Iowans fabric. We cannot have other schools beating us in facilities in this day and age. Facilities matter to kids, whether we like it or not.

And BTW, we have a great staff that absolutely works their asses off....hard and smart. I hate seeing BS in this Forum suggesting otherwise. Another coach of a non-rev sport was once told by Gable that in order to succeed with his program, "You gotta have the jack (dough)". Think Roy Carver. We have gotta help the coaches out. It's time to step up.

Join me as a supporter.......

Bob Nicolls
Franktown, CO
nicfpi@aol.com

I had the pleasure of visiting with Tom and Luke yesterday. He wants a facility that will be great for a long time. I will be supporting it with 1 million and discussing with other potential donors, the Foundation, and Athletic Dept. I didn't ask about the size or cost of the facility, it's conceptual now. Staff wants to get this done.

I was not a wrestler, but love the sport. I'm standing up and asking/challenging/pushing others to match me or do what you are able to do. Iowa = Wrestling, it's in an Iowans fabric. We cannot have other schools beating us in facilities in this day and age. Facilities matter to kids, whether we like it or not.

And BTW, we have a great staff that absolutely works their asses off....hard and smart. I hate seeing BS in this Forum suggesting otherwise. Another coach of a non-rev sport was once told by Gable that in order to succeed with his program, "You gotta have the jack (dough)". Think Roy Carver. We have gotta help the coaches out. It's time to step up.

Bob Nicolls
Franktown, CO
nicfpi@aol.com

Looks like we have a new leader in the "Greatest Hawkeye Wrestling Fan Ever" race....LOL

Seriously, thank you.

Bob Nicolls
Franktown, CO
nicfpi@aol.com

This is exactly what its gonna take to get the ball rolling. Thank you so much Mr. Nicolls! Very exciting times ahead!

Good stuff. I guess I've had my blinders on as to how other wrestling programs are upping their game to be competitive ... Blindly, I assumed we had some of the best facilities out there ...

Bob Nicolls
Franktown, CO
nicfpi@aol.com

Sorry Pinters...there is a new sheriff in town ;) For real...that is just awesome. Thank you.

Sorry Pinters...there is a new sheriff in town ;) For real...that is just awesome. Thank you.

Wow thanks Bob this should get more big hitters this is so awesome and so honorned to do what little I can for this. Hawks need the best and with this fan base it will be done

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

Bob Nicolls
Franktown, CO
nicfpi@aol.com

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

I'm at a loss for words with how awesome this is. Consider the ball rolling. With our coaching staff + HWC spearheading this, and with the continued effort from this amazing fan base... this WILL happen.

Last edited:
Really need to get Harry Stine on the phone...although Pioneer probably won't like that...

If Iowa's facility is "5th in the Big Ten ... at best", who is ahead? PSU. Ohio State already, or only after their new one? Minnesota? I have a hard time believing fifth best.
PSU, Ohio State, Michigan, and soon to be Rutgers. That list does show you that facilities do not guarantee success. Michigan has probably had the best facilities for 5+ years and they haven't won crap.

Reactions: sweatybetty
Thank you, as I've posted in other threads, I'm still curious what Rutgers will actually offer once completed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT