ADVERTISEMENT

The Hawkeyes lost one of their biggest fans...

TNTwrestle

HR MVP
Dec 10, 2006
Sunday night into Monday morning, my mother passed on, and Hawkeye wrestling lost a very loyal fan. She never had much money, so she wasn't a high-profile contributor, but she was as loyal as any fan ever.
I had been to some meets in the '70s, but my mom went to her first meet in 1980 (pretty sure it was Iowa State), and was immediately hooked. We went to several meets over the next year or two and bought season tickets the year after CHA opened. My mom turned 94 this February and had only missed three or four home meets since CHA opened. She became a wrestling fan when I wrestled and loved the sport as much as anyone. She was an avid sports fan in general, she would watch sports on TV most of the time; baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, just about anything, but loved Hawkeye wrestling more than anything. She had attended around 30 NCAA tournaments and well over 20 B1G and Midlands tournaments each. We made lots of friends through wrestling and became friends with several Hawkeye wrestler's families over the years.
In spite of our best efforts at isolation for her, she and myself and my little sister Wendy (also a big Hawk wrestling fan) all got Covid-19 within a few days of one another back in early April. I am an at-risk person because of my rheumatoid arthritis and the meds I take for it. Wendy is down-syndrome and has some heart issues, so she was somewhat high-risk, and mom being 94 was definitely high-risk. I spent five days with a fever of over 103 and all the other symptoms. I wished a couple of those days that I would die. Wendy had some bad days, but none as bad as mine. Mom seemed to be doing better than both, but after a day and a half of not enough fluid intake, we sent her to the ER in hopes of getting an IV to rehydrate. In spite of having no signs of breathing difficulty, they admitted her for pneumonia. When our hospital was willing to let her die in a few days, we talked her into trying the ventilator to buy a little healing time, because that was the only real option we were given. She got most of the treatments we asked/hoped for, and actually beat the Covid, but suffered a stroke in the hospital shortly after coming off the vent that went undetected for several days. They said at her age and her condition there was no hope for a life she'd be happy with, so they suggested hospice. We chose to bring her home where family could be with her for hospice care. We were blessed to have one really good day with her, where she did things the hospital said she couldn't do, but then lapsed into an almost unresponsive state the next day, but she passed surrounded by family.
I'm sorry this got so long, and some of it should probably have been on the Covid thread, but I wanted to share the loss of a great HW fan.

Last edited:
Love your Mom and Love your sister. So sad to learn of this and to hear of your COVID diagnosis as well. Sympathies from a family that shares much in common with yours...

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Sunday night into Monday morning, my mother passed on, and Hawkeye wrestling lost a very loyal fan. She never had much money, so she wasn't a high-profile contributor, but she was as loyal as any fan ever.
I had been to some meets in the '70s, but my mom went to her first meet in 1980 (pretty sure it was Iowa State), and was immediately hooked. We went to several meets over the next year or two and bought season tickets the year after CHA opened. My mom turned 94 this February and had only missed three or four home meets since CHA opened. She became a wrestling fan when I wrestled and loved the sport as much as anyone. She was an avid sports fan in general, she would watch sports on TV most of the time; baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, just about anything, but loved Hawkeye wrestling more than anything. She had attended around 30 NCAA tournaments and well over 20 B1G and Midlands tournaments. We made lots of friends through wrestling and became friends with several Hawkeye wrestler's families over the years.
In spite of our best efforts at isolation for her, she and myself and my little sister Wendy (also a big Hawk wrestling fan) all got Covid-19 within a few days of one another back in April. I am an at=risk person because of my rheumatoid arthritis and the meds I take for it. Wendy is down-syndrome and has some heart issues, so she was somewhat high-risk, and mom being 94 was definitely high-risk. I spent five days with a fever of over 103 and all the other symptoms. I wished a couple of those days that I would die. Wendy had some bad days, but none as bad as mine. Mom seemed to be doing better than both, but after a day and a half of not enough fluid intake, we sent her to the ER in hopes of getting an IV to rehydrate. In spite of having no signs of breathing difficulty, they admitted her for pneumonia. When our hospital was willing to let her die in a few days, we talked her into trying the ventilator to buy a little healing time, because that was the only real option we were given. She got most of the treatments we asked/hoped for, and actually beat the Covid, but suffered a stroke in the hospital shortly after coming off the vent that went undetected for several days. They said at her age and her condition there was no hope for a life she'd be happy with, so they suggested hospice. We chose to bring her home where family could be with her for hospice care. We were blessed to have one really good day with her, where she did things the hospital said she couldn't do, but then lapsed into an almost unresponsive state the next day, but she passed surrounded by family.
I'm sorry this got so long, and some of it should probably have been on the Covid thread, but I wanted to share the loss of a great HW fan.
Sorry for your loss Sir. 94 is a darn good run however, sounds like she made the most of it.

On a side note, we collectively lost a couple of huge Hawk Fans from NW Iowa that I knew recently as well (cancer and heart related - both in their early 60's).

R.I.P. all.

I had been to some meets in the '70s, but my mom went to her first meet in 1980 (pretty sure it was Iowa State), and was immediately hooked. We went to several meets over the next year or two and bought season tickets the year after CHA opened. My mom turned 94 this February and had only missed three or four home meets since CHA opened. She became a wrestling fan when I wrestled and loved the sport as much as anyone. She was an avid sports fan in general, she would watch sports on TV most of the time; baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, just about anything, but loved Hawkeye wrestling more than anything. She had attended around 30 NCAA tournaments and well over 20 B1G and Midlands tournaments. We made lots of friends through wrestling and became friends with several Hawkeye wrestler's families over the years.
In spite of our best efforts at isolation for her, she and myself and my little sister Wendy (also a big Hawk wrestling fan) all got Covid-19 within a few days of one another back in April. I am an at=risk person because of my rheumatoid arthritis and the meds I take for it. Wendy is down-syndrome and has some heart issues, so she was somewhat high-risk, and mom being 94 was definitely high-risk. I spent five days with a fever of over 103 and all the other symptoms. I wished a couple of those days that I would die. Wendy had some bad days, but none as bad as mine. Mom seemed to be doing better than both, but after a day and a half of not enough fluid intake, we sent her to the ER in hopes of getting an IV to rehydrate. In spite of having no signs of breathing difficulty, they admitted her for pneumonia. When our hospital was willing to let her die in a few days, we talked her into trying the ventilator to buy a little healing time, because that was the only real option we were given. She got most of the treatments we asked/hoped for, and actually beat the Covid, but suffered a stroke in the hospital shortly after coming off the vent that went undetected for several days. They said at her age and her condition there was no hope for a life she'd be happy with, so they suggested hospice. We chose to bring her home where family could be with her for hospice care. We were blessed to have one really good day with her, where she did things the hospital said she couldn't do, but then lapsed into an almost unresponsive state the next day, but she passed surrounded by family.

Sorry for the news. Sounds like she was a true Hawk.

So Sorry for your loss, I've prayed for your mother as I'm absolutely sure all Hawkeye HR
fans have. God bless.

I had been to some meets in the '70s, but my mom went to her first meet in 1980 (pretty sure it was Iowa State), and was immediately hooked. We went to several meets over the next year or two and bought season tickets the year after CHA opened. My mom turned 94 this February and had only missed three or four home meets since CHA opened. She became a wrestling fan when I wrestled and loved the sport as much as anyone. She was an avid sports fan in general, she would watch sports on TV most of the time; baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, just about anything, but loved Hawkeye wrestling more than anything. She had attended around 30 NCAA tournaments and well over 20 B1G and Midlands tournaments each. We made lots of friends through wrestling and became friends with several Hawkeye wrestler's families over the years.
Long HELL, you shared some WONDERFUL MEMORIES. Deepest condolences to your family. Your mom will one of the best seats at the next Grapple on the Gridiron.

Thank you for sharing, brought tears to my eyes. She sounded like my Grandmother that passed last year. The passion for sports and the Hawkeyes, so powerful. I wish you and your sister all the strength and health. GO HAWKS

My best to you and your family. Thank you for sharing this post. Take care …

TNT - sorry to hear the news, but what amazing memories you have and will be able to pass along. One of the things that I think we can all relate to in the quarantine is how much joy sports bring to our lives.

From looking forward to the next season to looking forward to the next meet / game, I am finding it sports were a much bigger part of my life, and getting joy in life, than I realized. Sounds like your mom figured this out and found a team she loved and brought joy to her life, and what team brought more joy to their fan base than the 80's and 90's Iowa Wrestling team, how many meets did she leave with a smile on her face?

Pretty special that you played a part in bringing her in to this amazing sport. Something you can celebrate every time we take the mat until you turn 94 and can pass that love to the next generation.

Thanks for sharing TNT. You broke Hawk fans hearts all over with that touching tribute to your late, great mom. I try to avoid the Covid thread, but I’m glad I read your post, really puts things in perspective. Enjoy your family bud, take care and God bless

At first, Iowa wrestling was a thing that mom and I did together, just the two of us. Then, when we got season tickets, we started buying extras to take family or friends. When we got seats in Section B Row 12, we started buying for some friends to sit by and behind us, and pretty soon were buying nine season tickets. Mom and I also started doing the tournaments alone, but my sister and her husband from out East started meeting us at some of them, and my oldest son (now 40) started going to some of them with us. This eventually led to my other kids at times, my little sister, my older sister in town, and her husband, and their grandson, etc. We have had as many as eleven family members at NCAAs, and as many as nine at B1Gs. We usually only took three or four to Midlands, though. We got bumped out of our seats in Section B (I really miss them) with the reseating several years ago, but part of our group is just across the aisle at the other end of the rows in Section C, Rows 12 and 13, but my little sister became wheelchair-bound so she and mom got seats at the top of Section C in Row 42. I really missed sitting with mom, and occasionally gave away my seat and sat up with her. She missed the past two NCAAs because it was getting hard for her to do the trips, even though we took an extra wheelchair to push her around in. It was also tough to get ADA seating sometimes.
So Iowa wrestling turned from a me and mom thing into a family thing, which we both loved, but sometimes I missed the time with just her. It will never be the same without her. I hope one of my kids will step up and still go with me when I get too old to go by myself.

Last edited:
That's beautiful, TNT. I suspect the majority of us have similar family connections to Iowa wrestling. Without going into too much detail, my history with Iowa wrestling goes back to the early 1970's when my mom, dad, sister, and I had season tickets in the old Fieldhouse. It became a family tradition, and to this day, it's my favorite activity with my dad. My folks have kept their season tickets since 1973.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I appreciate that the time will come when Dad isn't able to go to meets or tournaments. As a kid, that time seemed so far off that it wasn’t even conceivable. These days, every Iowa wrestling experience is precious, because it becomes increasingly clear that they're limited in number.

Last edited:
This is one of the few truly moving posts I can remember reading on a message board. My heart and love go out to you and your family, brother. I hope for a speedy recovery for all who remain with us.

Thanks for sharing. Great Hawkeye fan and a great mother it sounds. I believe there is a heaven and you will see her again.

Thank you all for your words of sympathy or comfort. My life is changed forever, but the family will carry on supporting Iowa wrestling.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT