ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa defense is a paper tiger.

True. But Michigan is probably thinking, dang, we better try to do something because we're playing Alabama so they were aggressive on offense. VS Iowa they were like, "we're up 7, let's relax and not beat ourselves."
This is nonsense. Michigan averaged 1.9.per rush and 4.9 per pass. It was worse than that in the first half when Michigan was only up 10. They were also playing for top seed in the CFP.

This is nonsense. Michigan averaged 1.9.per rush and 4.9 per pass. It was worse than that in the first half when Michigan was only up 10. They were also playing for top seed in the CFP.
Ok, that's true in terms of first half numbers. But it doesn't change the 2nd half of all 3 blowouts this year vs our only 3 ranked opponents

Michigan had 15 first downs and 351 yards total offense vs Alabama.
Michigan had 12 first downs and 213 yards offense vs Iowa. Defense not a problem.
So you're telling me that Michigan's offense played exactly the same in a game vs Iowa as it did vs Alabama? I mean, do you think it's possible Michigan had a different strategy considering they knew they only needed about 2 points to beat Iowa?

Reactions: WSC72
BOOM ! Iowa D is a fraud
So you're telling me that Michigan's offense played exactly the same in a game vs Iowa as it did vs Alabama? I mean, do you think it's possible Michigan had a different strategy considering they knew they only needed about 2 points to beat Iowa?
Watching that game Iowa was giving Michigan fits. QB was flustered and got hit plenty. Corum had no room to run. Defense deserves credit.

Do I think the defense is probably not as good as advertised now? Yeah.

But on the list of problems with the Iowa football program defense is…..way…..way……way…..way down on that list.

Give it up man. Every statistic including comparative results supports Iowa being an elite defense. Even today's games. Michigan was much more successful offensively vs Bama than Iowa. They averaged 3.3 vs Iowa vs 5.9 against Bama. Tennessee who faced all of these vaunted SEC foes only had 2 games all year where they gained fewer yards. They averaged 6.6 yards per play over the year. They average 5.1 vs Iowa. Iowa fans are so freaking used to the Iowa defense dominating every game that when they don't everyone wants to question whether they're really that good.

The difference between Iowa and these elite teams is the complete lack of anything resembling a functional offense. The defense is right there with any of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk
Well, maybe without DeJean they are. But the offense spotted Tennessee 14 points. They also failed to add 7 points when they should have so 21 points of the 38 or whatever Tennessee scored can be attributed to Iowa's offense. The defense did enough to win if Iowa had even a division 3 quality QB. Sorry, there are several high schools across the country right now that Deacon would not start at. Or, he would not be starting as QB at least.

Reactions: kwik44
A small % of that is true. The flip side is no offense hurts their defense more than Iowa.
Yep, the schedule certainly helped Iowa's stats in D, but it was still pretty stingy. They held down Michigan pretty well, and although they did give up some plays today, overall, at least 14 of those 35 points is directly on Hill.

Also have to remember that they're on the field constantly thanks to the offense being so feeble.

Reactions: NI hawk
Give it up man. Every statistic including comparative results supports Iowa being an elite defense. Even today's games. Michigan was much more successful offensively vs Bama than Iowa. They averaged 3.3 vs Iowa vs 5.9 against Bama. Tennessee who faced all of these vaunted SEC foes only had 2 games all year where they gained fewer yards. They averaged 6.6 yards per play over the year. They average 5.1 vs Iowa. Iowa fans are so freaking used to the Iowa defense dominating every game that when they don't everyone wants to question whether they're really that good.

The difference between Iowa and these elite teams is the complete lack of anything resembling a functional offense. The defense is right there with any of them.
I'll bet Tennessee would disagree

They kept saying all night that Mish was the cream of the Defense in the b1g.
Washington is going to roll them in the finals

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI
People have been incredibly spoiled. “Paper tiger” is a a slur. This defense gave up 21 points today. If this team had an offense that could move the ball and score points that’s a good enough defensive result to win most games. Furthermore, there are going to be games when the opponent scores points. It happens. No defense can be spot on every game, every series. That’s why you need an offense. Otherwise, your team is destined for many losses.

Weak opponents or not, it was quite remarkable that Iowa won 10 games this year with no offense at all. Look at the teams that averaged scoring in the range of Iowa, they all had horrible won-loss records.

Paper tiger? I don’t think so. But for the defense this team would have lost 8 games, maybe more this year. This defense deserves nothing but a hearty, sincere Thank You for saving what would otherwise have been a dreadful season.

Let's just be honest about things.

Schedules matter. The Iowa defense was the beneficiary of one of the softest schedules in program history.
C'mon man, give TN's scheme some of the credit. The hawk defense gave up 2 drives in the 1st half with the hawk offense doing nothing. TN has a high level offense that puts a lot of pressure on the whole field and when they have the numbers they run it and did that well.

The defense gave up 3 drives the whole game, 21 points, and the last of those drives came late. So overall, against a highly talented, very well schemed offense the hawk defense did a decent job.

Paper tiger is a lame comment. The problem is still the way way too lame of a hawk offense.

C'mon man, give TN's scheme some of the credit. The hawk defense gave up 2 drives in the 1st half with the hawk offense doing nothing. TN has a high level offense that puts a lot of pressure on the whole field and when they have the numbers they run it and did that well.

The defense gave up 3 drives the whole game, 21 points, and the last of those drives came late. So overall, against a highly talented, very well schemed offense the hawk defense did a decent job.

Paper tiger is a lame comment. The problem is still the way way too lame of a hawk offense.

Ok. Lame offense. Either way, shit coach.

Deacon Hill gave 14 of those pts to Tennessee yesterday and the O did absolutely nothing.
And add the -7 for the inexcusable pick in the endzone, so he was directly responsible for a 21 point swing in the score. Turnovers matter to Kirk? Apparently that is a flexible rule. I was mildly surprised that Lainez got in. Again, defense was not the problem yesterday, nor has it been a problem the past 2 years.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Friend of mine was at the game. Said Tennessee had receivers running free everywhere. A good/experienced QB would’ve diced Iowa up. The kid who played for Tennessee did a good job, but there was a lot more out there for him to take. The Iowa offense did nothing, but the defense was exposed a little bit as well (Tennessee also missed a wide open TD pass due to the sun).

Reactions: WSC72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT