ADVERTISEMENT

The most disappointing thing is that with NOTHING TO LOSE, Brian......

The head coach calls the shots. They're were busy hugging and crying when they won a couple games scoring 15 points vs the likes of Illiniois and Nebraska.

Why would anyone hitch their wagon on Deacon Hill? Budamyr should be fired....that is the best portal QB they could come up with? Cade is also a bust...without Michigan OL, skill players...he's just a short, injury prone, pass first QB with accuracy issues.

Agreed - only way a game plan like today's had a chance was if Iowa played a perfect game. but special teams made mistakes, had a couple of turnovers, etc.

What Brian has consistently struggled the most as an OC has been adjusting when plan A has to get tossed out the window.

did NOTHING inventive to move the ball!!! I mean, even if it hadn't worked, it still would have been refreshing to see ANYTHING that would have been considered a wrinkle. This poor defense. UGH!!!
They didn't have the personnel to do that. Those plays didn't work against teams that have crappy defenses. Why do you think they would work here?

Once against wasn't a poorly called game, it was poorly executed. The OLine is terrible, WR drops again, a horrible QB. You work with what you have, and Iowa doesn't have much.
All things being equal, I don't know that I would disagree with your comment that the game wasn't poorly called. But if you know you're outmanned and you legit want to win the game, you have to take chances. Trick plays, hurry-up, anything.

In his MINOR defense, he has DIII caliber talent to work with
I partially agree with this. The cupboard is embarrassingly bare for playmakers at the skill positions, and it seems the best athletes get slotted for defense.

But it’s also his job to attract talent as well. The fact that we have zero WRs that can catch with their hands is an issue. It’s also an issue we have zero WRs that can go up and win a jump ball/back shoulder throw…not that we’d run those routes anyway.

This offseason Brian stated that there would be no major changes. A couple games in to the new season it was evident he meant what he said. How can anyone be shocked with what transpired tonight?
They clearly felt last year the problem was a combo of talent/injuries. To be fair, there's some truth to that...but you also have find ways to maximize what you do have; and they've failed for 3 years at doing that.

Iowa has the worst WR route tree I’ve ever seen

More than a few plays

Every route was a out towards the sideline

One WR 3-4 yards
One WR 7-9 yards, same side
TE 3-5 yards going same direction but middle of field

The defenders didn’t even have to try
What I hate more than anything has been the tendancy to call pass plays into the short side of the field. So everything gets congested and easier to be defended.

We had people over for the game. I don’t think I saw one pass play over 10 yards. You can’t make this up! One of the last games, in one of the biggest games, you can’t do a ****ing thing to scheme against. There is your legend. Keep it close boys. Phil Parker should be sucked off by all those tools

Brian is the dad coach of a 5th grade team that gets pissed off when his son's team that he lives vicariously through, has to take on a bunch of kids that have no idea how to play football, and rather than coaching them up, just chooses to neglect them and focus only on the athletic kids while pissing and moaning to other adults that he has to deal with unathletic kids that aren't as good as his son and his friends.

In all of this mess is the fact that Barta allowed this Nepotism mess to happen.

A true OC with his back against the wall would have demanded to call his own shots or be fired. This dynamic just led into BF catering to KFs conservative will.

Once it got bad the only thing left to do is triple down and say we are doing it our way or else despite the fact it was doomed for failure against anyone competent.

Can’t wait to see how this KF OC hiring process goes if he stays. Going to be the biggest FU to everyone.

Exotics etc.= BS. Iowa did not have time to anything but same damn thing and that is to throw it to the TE. For years now, Iowa has had QB's that cannot run the damn ball and have had a dearth of WR's. If Parker stays for a while and KF lets his recruiters to go to the portal and get at least 4 skill players, they would a hell of a lot more fun to watch. The offensive line will be better next year.

Tough to do anything different when your QB can’t run out of the pocket and don’t have much time while he’s in it. It’s still on Brian since he’s also the qb coach. Would have liked to see some balls go downfield but it was realistically impossible with Hill at qb.

Reactions: Hawkman34
BF and KF are idiots for not using Dejean and Wetjen at WR instead of Ragaini and Anderson. Need speed to separate, need vertical threats to open up the running game. Good thing we were so worried about Dejean getting hurt playing both sides of the ball so that he could get hurt in a meaningless practice session.

Once against wasn't a poorly called game, it was poorly executed. The OLine is terrible, WR drops again, a horrible QB. You work with what you have, and Iowa doesn't have much.
I get that Iowa's personnel is severely lacking on the offensive side of the ball, but answer this. If you know that your OL can't protect 5-on-4 and you have the least mobile QB in college football, then why would you run out of empty for ~20 plays. That alone is blatantly malpractice.

I partially agree with this. The cupboard is embarrassingly bare for playmakers at the skill positions, and it seems the best athletes get slotted for defense.

But it’s also his job to attract talent as well. The fact that we have zero WRs that can catch with their hands is an issue. It’s also an issue we have zero WRs that can go up and win a jump ball/back shoulder throw…not that we’d run those routes anyway.

It would be interesting to get the breakdown in offensive vs defensive recruits. I don't think there has been much bias in sending better athletes to Defense. Phil recruits the DBs and that has been postion of strength. KF/BF are both supposedly OL experts and that has been position of weakness.

There are very few recruits that are brought in as "athletes" and have option of offense or defense. Cooper Dejean stands out...but there is no way BF/KF would have played him at QB when the system the run is based on pocket passers. Lindenbaum was a guy they moved from defense to offense.

The problems with offense begin with recruiting/evaluation by BF/KF. Then there is circuitous relationship between boring/bad offenses making it harder to recruit good offensive talent which leads to worse offenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT