ADVERTISEMENT

The nastiest Mob boss you've never heard of....

The Quad Cities has actually had a long history with Chicago organized crime IIRC.
Looney's organization out of Rock Island was actually bigger than Johnny Torrio's in Chicago (Torrio was the predecessor to Capone).

Looney operated 150 brothels, gambling houses and illegal taverns in the region.

That is who Road to Perdition is based on. My sister (no pics) married a Looney, they aren't much of a crime family anymore. CSB
Was just about to post this. I grew up in the QC but had never heard of the Looneys until “Road to Perdition”.

Reactions: Tom Paris and Moral
That is who Road to Perdition is based on. My sister (no pics) married a Looney, they aren't much of a crime family anymore. CSB

ec741bee2ce0d0ad73e83ebef4e82367.jpg

ottumwa was was half way between Chicago and kc and had a red light district and gangsters. in the 20s before Lori Arnold and meth

Davenport had a dozen whore houses just off the government bridge across from the RI Arsenal. The Red Light District was Second Street from where the Dam View is, over to Peterson Paper Company. The Federal Government ended up shutting it down early during WWII years. They had too many GIs coming down with VD.

Reactions: torbee
Torbee,

Do you remember when the corner of Main and 3rd was a Tobacco shop? Where Me and Billy's is located now? When I was a wee lad I used to go in there and play barrel of fun. They were in the bars when I started going into them in the mid 70s as well. Most of the open gambling was chased out of the bars by the mid 80s.

When I was a kid, there was a Candy Store on about Farnam and Rusholme, cannot recall the exact location. There would be tons of kids out there buying penny candy all the time. It was a drop location for numbers and parlay cards. Figured it out when I was about twelve. I want to say it was called Neighborhood Grocery.

I bet Bill Wundram hung out and eloquently wrote about some of those fine, upstanding citizens.

Torbee,

Do you remember when the corner of Main and 3rd was a Tobacco shop? Where Me and Billy's is located now? When I was a wee lad I used to go in there and play barrel of fun. They were in the bars when I started going into them in the mid 70s as well. Most of the open gambling was chased out of the bars by the mid 80s.

When I was a kid, there was a Candy Store on about Farnam and Rusholme, cannot recall the exact location. There would be tons of kids out there buying penny candy all the time. It was a drop location for numbers and parlay cards. Figured it out when I was about twelve. I want to say it was called Neighborhood Grocery.
It was a Hickey Brother's shop, no? That was a little before my time - but my grandpa - who owned and operated the Standard Oil station at the base of Centennial Bridge in Davenport used to talk about it.

Davenport had a dozen whore houses just off the government bridge across from the RI Arsenal. The Red Light District was Second Street from where the Dam View is, over to Peterson Paper Company. The Federal Government ended up shutting it down early during WWII years. They had too many GIs coming down with VD.

I think you are misremembering that. It was Dunder Mifflin.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
During the 1950's when hard liquor was
only sold in state liquor stores in Davenport,
many of the citizens simply drove over the
bridge to Rock Island and bought hard
liquor in regular stores.

Bottom Line: The state of Iowa was always
considered a dry state and Illinois was a wet
state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT