ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

CsWrWhKVIAAlK6T.jpg

Hawks in-home with Cassidy Hardin.
Cassidy Hardin names final 3 schools she is considering - Purdue, Mich St., & Vanderbilt.

Iowa had visitors in on Friday and Saturday. At this point I'm thinking they were 2018s.

Former Iowa target, Deja Church, decommitted from Minnesota and committed to Michigan.

Arieal Scott, whose scholarship offers surged over a strong summer, said she’ll cut her list down soon and then decide on a school in May.

I hear the Berg kid from Indianola tells the Hawks NO!! Big loss. Top 40 player in the country. Not sure where headed, but not I.C.
Grace Berg (6' G) is perhaps the top player in the state of Iowa class of 2018. She has shown a remarkable level of competitiveness playing for AIA this past summer with such players as Taylor Kissinger (2017 Neb commit) and Ashley Joens. From what I have been able to tell, she is similar in many ways to Ally. It is altogether possible, if not probable, that Iowa was seriously considering her or even offered her. If true (that she has eliminated Iowa), it is worth noting that Iowa has Jinaya coming in 2017 and she could very well step into Ally's starting role next year. Also, it is almost certain that Iowa has other very good similar prospects that they are persueing. So while this is disappointing, there is still plenty of reasons to be encouraged. The future is still bright. Finally, if not Iowa, I hope Grace goes to Drake or UNI.

Last edited:
So Iowa is going to miss out on two top flight, nationally ranked kids in the class of 2018 from iowa city and Indianola? Not good

Truth is. They lost Haley Lorenznen, Kiah Stokes, Ashley Joens, and Grace Berg, Jadda Buckley, Maddie Manning. (ALL Top 40 recruits from Iowa) They also didnt want Disterhoft and only took her after one of their other recruits fell through. Bottom Line is Vivian Stringer isnt here any more and Barta fired Tom Davis for the same kind of mistakes. Time to get someone that treats the Iowa kids with respect.

Instead of Lorenzen they got Chase Coley. Instead of Kiah Stokes (they recruited her heavily) they got Bethany Doolittle. Instead if Jadda Buckley (they recruited her , but she was already tight with Fennelly's daughter-in-law) they got Ally Disterhoft.
Grace Berg, Ashley Joens? Who knows. I don't think there was any mutual interest with Manning.

Good response Oak to a bad troll job.

There's a big difference between not landing some of the top Iowa recruits (which is still a challenge) and not recruiting them.

Hard to tell what the recruiters are thinking sometimes, or what they know about a situation. I know I have disagreed with some of the decisions (like Ashley Joens) , but it seems to work out in the end.

Good response Oak to a bad troll job.

There's a big difference between not landing some of the top Iowa recruits (which is still a challenge) and not recruiting them.

IMO, if you are going to debate WBB recruiting you need to ground your perspectives in what type of program YOU want the WBB program to be or what it actually is - for example:
  1. a National program that consistently competes for a Big 10 title, make it to the elite 8 and finishes in the top 10 in the polls
  2. a regional program that consistently in is the upper third of the Big 10, makes the round of 32 and finishes in the top 20 in the polls, or
  3. a primarily Iowa recruit team, that performs to the level of talent that the state produces
National programs are going to go after the top 10-50 players every year - independent of where they are from. A primarily Iowa recruited team will not consistently in the 20 every year.

Being a native Iowan and an Iowa grad, I would like to see the better Iowa kids be recruited and play, but understand to achieve the program #2 above, the WBB program will need to recruit the broader Big Ten area and not take Iowa kids that the program may not evaluate as high as the recruiting services or don't feel they are a fit for the program, independent of top Iowa kids that just choose to play somewhere else (i.e. Iowa State, a National program, etc.)

The 2014 and 2015 classes were void of any Iowa kids, but this year's class has a nice balance. Hopefully this year will set the stage to bring the program up to #2 above and be an incentive for all the better Iowa kids to choose the Hawks.

Reactions: cyberhawk
You tell me who would win: Mack Meyer, Courtney Joens, Ali disterhoft, Amanda Ollinger, Haley lorenzen, Jadda Buckley, maddie manning Or Tania Davis, Alexa kastanek, Christina buttenham, chase coley, Megan Gustafson, Alex sevelluan, bre cera?

IMO, if you are going to debate WBB recruiting you need to ground your perspectives in what type of program YOU want the WBB program to be or what it actually is - for example:
  1. a National program that consistently competes for a Big 10 title, make it to the elite 8 and finishes in the top 10 in the polls
  2. a regional program that consistently in is the upper third of the Big 10, makes the round of 32 and finishes in the top 20 in the polls, or
  3. a primarily Iowa recruit team, that performs to the level of talent that the state produces
National programs are going to go after the top 10-50 players every year - independent of where they are from. A primarily Iowa recruited team will not consistently in the 20 every year.

Being a native Iowan and an Iowa grad, I would like to see the better Iowa kids be recruited and play, but understand to achieve the program #2 above, the WBB program will need to recruit the broader Big Ten area and not take Iowa kids that the program may not evaluate as high as the recruiting services or don't feel they are a fit for the program, independent of top Iowa kids that just choose to play somewhere else (i.e. Iowa State, a National program, etc.)

The 2014 and 2015 classes were void of any Iowa kids, but this year's class has a nice balance. Hopefully this year will set the stage to bring the program up to #2 above and be an incentive for all the better Iowa kids to choose the Hawks.
NJ, this has been a long discussed topic--both in this forum and outside of it.

The landscape has changed since Iowa's glory days under Coach Stringer. Even then, she was able to tap into a much larger recruiting base to sign elite players.

I have had the opportunity to see how other programs (in the Big Ten and beyond) operate and speak with those coaches. At Iowa, Coach Bluder has told me many times, that their recruiting footprint is primarily a 6-7 hour car ride from the UI campus. Her reasoning being most kids don't want to stray too far from home. Anyone arguing that the staff should build a roster of in-state prep players isn't being realistic is their goal is for the program to reach either of the top two scenarios you laid out. However, the best national, or even regional, teams still are able to build from the inside out--getting the top in-state players THAT ARE DI LEVEL TALENT and then building around them....or using them to build around top level talent from your entire recruiting footprint.

In her entire tenure, Coach Bluder's one and only Sweet 16 team was just a couple years ago. It is a great example of recruiting outside the state to get your "stars" and using in-state talent to compliment it. It's no secret that Coach Bluder has always fielded guard-heavy teams. She and her staff have landed some of the best to ever wear a Hawkeye uniform. On the other hand, often smaller or finesse players have needed to play the post instead of their natural position. This has made for some recruited true centers deciding to look at other programs.

In other words, it's not just where you are getting your recruits from, but the mix of recruits you are bringing in....being strong (and deep) at all positions.

Reactions: cyberhawk
MU women's basketball lands first commit of 2018 class

On Friday, 6-foot wing player Grace Berg announced on Twitter that she had verbally committed to the Missouri women's basketball team. Berg [is] rated as the No. 35 overall prospect by ESPN HoopGurlz's Dan Olson... ProspectsNation.com, on the other hand, gave Berg 3.5 stars out of five. As a sophomore last season, she shot 63.6 percent from the field, averaging 17.3 points per game.

(Berg will join former Johnston star Elle Brown (2017- now a senior at Rock Bridge MO) who committed to Missouri several months ago)

Last season, Berg and Brown met on the hardwood. Before her parents — Brian and Natasha Brown — accepted jobs at Missouri in August, Elle Brown played basketball for Johnston, a school in the northwest suburbs of Des Moines. Johnston won 71-52 over Indianola in January. Berg outscored Brown 15-13, but the latter's team ended Indianola's undefeated season.

Arieal Scott to Duke.She shot the ball very well this summer and blew up on the national scene.

In reply to non poster...i'll take the bottom group of his list. Better defenders and they can feed Gustafson and Coley the whole time

Houston Signs with Iowa Women's Basketball

"We are thrilled to have Jinaya join our team next year," said Bluder. "She is an incredible basketball player that plays either forward position. Jinaya can handle the ball, shoot the 3, and play good defense. She has grown up in the state as a Hawkeye fan and it is wonderful to see this dream become a reality."

I believe Jinaya is a good replacement for Ally. Similar in many ways.

Last edited:
Grace Berg (6' G) is perhaps the top player in the state of Iowa class of 2018. She has shown a remarkable level of competitiveness playing for AIA this past summer with such players as Taylor Kissinger (2017 Neb commit) and Ashley Joens. From what I have been able to tell, she is similar in many ways to Ally. It is altogether possible, if not probable, that Iowa was seriously considering her or even offered her. If true (that she has eliminated Iowa), it is worth noting that Iowa has Jinaya coming in 2017 and she could very well step into Ally's starting role next year. Also, it is almost certain that Iowa has other very good similar prospects that they are persueing. So while this is disappointing, there is still plenty of reasons to be encouraged. The future is still bright. Finally, if not Iowa, I hope Grace goes to Drake or UNI.
Don't count on Houston coming in and making an immediate impact. She will need time.

Don't count on Houston coming in and making an immediate impact. She will need time.
Perhaps she will need time and maybe she won't. My opinion is that, for all we know, it could conceivably happen, which is not to say that she will or should. Also, I certainly am not counting on it, but I am likewise not discounting it either. I am also not the only one that thinks she is comparable to Ally, so I think it is reasonable to think that she will be in the discussion to replace Ally in the starting lineup next year.

Hawkeye recruit Jinaya Houston's range draws lofty comparisons

Houston is a power guard. A point forward. A basketball player with no defined position. She’s 6-foot-1 with just as smooth a 3-point stroke as a slash inside. [...] Davenport North girls basketball coach Ron O’Brien said. “She doesn’t really have a position. She’s not a 1, 2, 3 or 4; she plays them all. I think she’s got that ability to do that at the college level. I don’t think I’d have her earmarked at the small forward role, probably a little like (Ally) Disterhoft now.” Added Hawkeyes coach Lisa Bluder: “Both (Houston and Disterhoft) can beat you off the bounce and both can beat you with 3-range. And both are about 6-foot-1. Yeah, I think that’s a pretty good comparison.” Houston’s heard the Disterhoft comparison before. [...] She’s an example of what Houston could become after four years in Iowa’s program. Future teammates see the similarities, too. “It’s really exciting, especially since we’re losing Ally next year, such a big loss to us,” center Megan Gustafson said. “And to have (Houston) come in, kind of being just like her, it’s exciting to see what can happen with her.”

I'm just going to 'cross my fingers' and hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: wdhawk
Perhaps she will need time and maybe she won't. My opinion is that, for all we know, it could conceivably happen, which is not to say that she will or should. Also, I certainly am not counting on it, but I am likewise not discounting it either. I am also not the only one that thinks she is comparable to Ally, so I think it is reasonable to think that she will be in the discussion to replace Ally in the starting lineup next year.

Houston is a power guard. A point forward. A basketball player with no defined position. She’s 6-foot-1 with just as smooth a 3-point stroke as a slash inside. [...] Davenport North girls basketball coach Ron O’Brien said. “She doesn’t really have a position. She’s not a 1, 2, 3 or 4; she plays them all. I think she’s got that ability to do that at the college level. I don’t think I’d have her earmarked at the small forward role, probably a little like (Ally) Disterhoft now.” Added Hawkeyes coach Lisa Bluder: “Both (Houston and Disterhoft) can beat you off the bounce and both can beat you with 3-range. And both are about 6-foot-1. Yeah, I think that’s a pretty good comparison.” Houston’s heard the Disterhoft comparison before. [...] She’s an example of what Houston could become after four years in Iowa’s program. Future teammates see the similarities, too. “It’s really exciting, especially since we’re losing Ally next year, such a big loss to us,” center Megan Gustafson said. “And to have (Houston) come in, kind of being just like her, it’s exciting to see what can happen with her.”

I'm just just going to 'cross my fingers' and hope.
She is a match up problem.

Too strong for a WG or SF to guard her and too quick for a PF to guard her.

I'm just just going to 'cross my fingers' and hope.
Hope is a much better word than expect, at this point, with Jinaya. She has the potential to be as good as she wants to be.

Last edited:
I can see the Coffey similarities. I think Coffey might be stronger, but Jinaya seems to be more fluid with the ball.

Reactions: hawkisak
Is she a consistent three-point threat? Iowa needs someone to step up in that department, after Jaime Printy and Melissa Dixon. Or is there any freshman player in the roster that can take it up?

Is she a consistent three-point threat? Iowa needs someone to step up in that department, after Jaime Printy and Melissa Dixon. Or is there any freshman player in the roster that can take it up?

Jinaya has a 3 point shoot but its not what she does best. There isn't anyone on the current roster as consistent as Jaime or Melissa was from 3. On the current team Tania & Ally (Kastanek is streaky) are the best from long range while out of the Freshman Makenzie Meyer would be the most consistent (based on high-school.) All the Freshman can shoot the 3 though, including Amanda who is better than many might expect.

Jinaya doesn't shoot lot of threes. 34% last year, 40% as a SO. I think she has been working on it and might shoot better down the road.

Bre Cera shot well from 3pt land in HS. Before her hand injury. I know she had a goal to shoot 50% at one point. It will be interesting to see if she looks for her offense. So far, it has been defense concentration.

Bre Cera shot well from 3pt land in HS. Before her hand injury. I know she had a goal to shoot 50% at one point. It will be interesting to see if she looks for her offense. So far, it has been defense concentration.[/QUOTEYou are correct! she shot 50 of 100 from 3 her freshman year and dipped to 40 % over next 2 years. She's still playing with 4 screws in her shooting hand and it still gets very sore with repetitive shooting. Right now, they NEED her defense and intensity. As far as I know though, those 4 screws are in for good. It was a nasty break!

You are correct Oak! Bre shot 50 of 100 from 3 her freshman year and dipped to 40 % over next 2 years. She's still playing with 4 screws in her shooting hand and it still gets very sore with repetitive shooting. Right now, they NEED her defense and intensity. As far as I know though, those 4 screws are in for good. It was a nasty break!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT