ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

I think KSU figures they just bought themselves a top player. It would appear the father is using her for a job. Just like Mitchell's dad did at Ohio State.

Destiny Pitts to MN.

Next Tweet

Minnesota picks up first 2017 commitment — Destiny Pitts, 5-10 G, Detroit Country Day (MI); current rankings: Blue Star #35; espnW #59
Another one down. She visited along with Deja Church. Hope it doesn't turn into a twofer.

We are so loaded in the backcourt- I believe playing time would be a concern for a 2017 guard.

Not just loaded in the roster, but loaded in the 2016 (freshman) class. Any 2017 guard would be a year behind four quality guards for three years. Breaking into the starting line up (until the senior year) might seem to be daunting and could discourage some recruits.

I also saw a list of schools that Destiny had offers from and Iowa was not mentioned. Separately, Deja Church was quoted saying that Iowa was one of her final choices.

Last edited:
Then part I don't like is Kissinger and Pitts both went to other B1G schools. I would have liked to see them out of conference.
The Hawks are deep (and young) at guard. So I'm not concerned about having some targets go elsewhere. Just want them to go far away. ;)
Jinaya Houston has loads of potential at 6-1. She is a solid start to 2017. The Hawks have interest from some very good 2018s.

How does Jinaya Houston's playing style compare to Iowa's current and recent players? Is she similar to Virginia Johnson? Though Johnson only played one year and we will never know how she might have turned out to be eventually.

Great question UpstreamHawkeye. I will offer my opinion. I don't remember Virginia being touted much as a three-point threat. Maybe she was and I didn't know it. Other than that, I would compare her [style] to Carly, Amanda, and/or Hannah. Despite being listed a bit taller, Jinaya reminds me (from the video clips I've seen) of Theairra Taylor. She could probably be compared to Ally as well. I am interested to read what others here think.

Last edited:
Jinaya is physically strong player who can play anywhere from the 2-4 spot but will likely settle in at the 3. Compared to those mentioned by Cyber she is a more gifted natural athlete already at this stage. She says she is working on consistency in her perimeter game as it is needed at the next level, but she has a solid base to build on already. She hasn't played much AAU ball which will hold her ranking down but she is easily a top 50 player nationally. I think she just might be the best "athlete" Bluder has brought in during her tenure at Iowa.

Thanks cyber and jockos. I brought up Virginia Johnson only because superficially they appear to have similar build. Johnson wasn't a physically strong player, nor was she a 3-point threat, if I remember correctly. For that matter I don't remember Theairra Taylor being a 3-point threat either, more a slasher, like Johnson.

Theairra wasn't a 3pt threat coming in, but was good shooter fom the arc by her SR year. Virginia was a great athlete in multiple sports, more of a mid-range, post-up player. She had to play inside in HS. She might have developed the range later.
From what I have seen of Jinaya, she is more fluid with the ball, with good body control. Coming in she has a more varied offensive game than Theairra and Virginia.
On the Treece front. I don't see any of her list being Sweet 16 teams year after year. Maybe Duke , who kept their coach despite abuse allegations.After seeing her in HS and AAU games, I like Megan much better.

Reactions: ammer11
Ok, how do Jinaya and Breanna Beal compare? It occurs to me that they are very similar.

She did play in the April Nike EYBL tournament (along with Madison Treece) but neither one played in the two Nike EYBL tournaments (regional in Chicago and national in Georgia) in July.

Has anyone heard or read anything about 2019 top 25 Destiny (or Destinee) Oberg? I came across this blurb from another forum about her...

[...] class of 2019 (soph in HS this year) post player Destiny (sp) Oberg from Holy Angels. Top 25 kid who also already has offers from the likes of Maryland, Iowa, Iowa St and TCU.

Here is some bio on her...

Destinee Oberg #23 Post
High School: Academy of Holy Angels
Grad Year: 2019
Current Grade: 9th Grade
Height: 6'3"

Here is some video clip highlights...
Destinee Oberg 8 Grader class of 2019

Here is some highlight clips with scout analysis...
ProspectNationsTV 2019 Destinee Oberg (YouTube)

I don't remember anyone mentioning her name in this thread even though according to this source, she has an offer from Iowa. Now I'm wondering how much interest she has in the Hawkeyes and what their chances are for her.

Last edited:
A couple of other 2019s with Iowa interest.....
Gabbie Marshall , a 5-9 from Mount Notre Dame school in Ohio. Kathryn Reynold's HS. Just outside of Cincinnati.

Laya Hartman, 5-10 G/W from Okemos, Michigan. By East Lansing.

Last edited:
Six basketball prospects who lit up the July recruiting trail

Ashley Joens: Looking for points? This 5-10 shooting guard from Iowa City (Iowa) brings solid fundamentals and a deadly offensive arsenal. The junior-to-be can take her defender off the dribble, finish the play in traffic or deliver from deep. Either way, Joens is a superb backcourt prospect, helping her All-Iowa Attack team to a quarterfinal appearance in the Gold Division at Nike Nationals.

Reactions: HIWILLE
A couple of other 2019s with Iowa interest.....
Gabbie Marshall , a 5-9 from Mount Notre Dame school in Ohio. Kathryn Reynold's HS. Just outside of Cincinnati.

Laya Hartman, 5-10 G/W from Okemos, Michigan. By East Lansing.
G Gabbie Marshall– Mason, OH (Cincinnati Heat Premier): As Dicky V would say, she is a “PTPer.” She has the goods. She can shoot the 3 off the catch or dribble. Has a very good handle and can create for herself and others. Shines at either guard spot. High basketball IQ. Defensively she has quick hands and anticipates well. Elite skills for such an early age. At 5’-7” she has the skill and potential to play at the college level right now.

http://www.ballnprepgirls.com/?p=5083

They usually host recruits during the football weekends. Hoping for some news during the home games.

Some notes...
Bailey Helgren to Kansas (6-5 post)
Elle Brown from Johnston committed last October to Missouri. Now Missouri has hired her parents and she will spend her SR year in Columbia.
Six B1G teams don't have a commit for 2017.

Will Bluder's recent honor do much for Iowa's recruiting? Seems like it could help a little?

Raoul– ‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Bre Hampton-Bey, 5-5 PG, Toledo Notre Dame (OH-2017)/Toledo Thunder AAU, has reopened her recruitment; Michigan commit since June 2013.
7:16 PM - 25 Aug 2016

Raoul– ‏@Raoul_000
Michigan joins five other Big Ten WBB teams—Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, and Wisconsin— with zero commits for 2017.

If it was the national HOF, then yes. but that is years away. It is a nice feather in her cap though.

Deja Church didn't include Iowa in her list of 5 finalists... Depaul, Michigan, Minnesota, Okla St, & Stanford.

Thought I would add some 2019 names that are in Iowa's recruiting territory. from ESPN's 2019 Watch List:
Zoe Young 5-9 G IA
Grace Cumming 6-3 P IA
Kennedy Brown 6-3 P KS
McKenna Warnock 6-0 W WI
Rickea Jackson 6-2 W MI
Breanna Beal 6-0 W IL
Anaya Peoples 5-10 G IL

CsETokrWIAQ-DDQ.jpg

Alisia Smith on her Official visit this weekend The University Of Iowa. Tania Davis & Lex Silvillian are her hosts

Reactions: HIWILLE
CsETokrWIAQ-DDQ.jpg

Alisia Smith on her Official visit this weekend The University Of Iowa. Tania Davis & Lex Silvillian are her hosts
You can't see her here but Jinaya Houston was sitting right behind them. She was with the two blondes you can actually see.

2018 Iowa target Katlyn Gilbert (IN) is off the board after committing to Notre Dame.

I've seen Naya play at least a dozen times and you won't be seeing her sitting on the bench much. Great player!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT