ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Also on the 2019s, Iowa is looking at Rickea Jackson #7 and Sammie Puisis #5.
On 2018s, Carmen Backes #45.
Grace Berg is #35 (Grace Berger from Kentucky is #46).
A few 2020s, Paige Bueckers and Caitlin Clark on the list.

Last edited:
Where do you see Paige Bradford's name? I can't find it on that list. She is in the 2018 class but I don't see her listed.

They did an update since last night... Grace Berg is up to #35 & Paige fell out of the top 60 for 2018.

Last edited:
CsWrWhKVIAAlK6T.jpg

Hawks in-home with Cassidy Hardin.

Reactions: iarick
6-0 Taylor Kissinger
6*1 Jinaya Houston
6-3 Alisia Smith
5-10 Deja Church
6-2 Myah Selland
5-11 Aly Reiff
5-9 Destiny Pitts
Alisia Smith is the last uncomitted 2017 from this list and it seems that Iowa is still in consideration for her. From what I can tell, she appears to be 'in the mold' (physically) of Chase. She made 10 three-pointers last season as a junior and shot 82% on her FT's. I haven't seen her listed in any recruiting rankings.

Madison Treece to Duke. A school where the coach (like Fennelly at ISU) got support from the administration over abuse charges that got others fired.

She is the type of center Iowa could really have used. She had sent feelers after de-committing to Kentucky, but Coach Bluder had cooled on her. For what reason, we may never know.

She is the type of center Iowa could really have used. She had sent feelers after de-committing to Kentucky, but Coach Bluder had cooled on her. For what reason, we may never know.
Are there any other quality posts that Iowa is looking at?

Treece, nice kid, doesn't work hard. Size and name (sister at Oklahoma) gets her more interest than her game. By mutual consent, she parted ways with her summer team after showing nothing at Boo Williams tourney in April. This on a team where she was the only post presence and a very good team.
There is a back story to that. I'm not going to go into it out of respect for her. But if suffices to say, if you like a kid and think they would make a good addition to your roster then you make sure you're both on the same page before bringing them aboard. If the issue is talent level--that's on the coaches. If the issue is work ethic--that's on the player. Most coaches I talk to (and I am in agreement with them) say it will take the right kind of coaching staff and environment to bring the best out in her, but she has the potential to be a big impact player. If she were not to pan out due to her own issues, then you call her into your office and explain to her that she will never see the court while in your program for the remainder of her career---that you will grant her release (again just my opinion but to any school outside the Big Ten and make sure Gary Barta actually sticks to supporting you) and even offer to make a call to a program or two that you know could use her in an effort to find her a landing spot and open up that scholarship for your own program again.

Paige Bradford, you shouldn't be finding her on any Top Whatever lists. She walked away from the Attack last spring and Midwest Elite this past spring. Appears to have no desire to work hard. She had great opportunities on two well respected summer programs and chose not to commit to it and work hard.
Don't even get me started.

Not recruiting Joens. Rumor is that staff thinks dad is a potential issue. Joens is very good. All reports I hear say great kid, quiet, never a problem.
She took a giant step forward over the summer, but there are still some areas of her game that need improvement. Especially at the defensive end.
Not recruiting Joens. Rumor is that staff thinks dad is a potential issue. Joens is very good. All reports I hear say great kid, quiet, never a problem.

She took a big step forward over the summer. Like any player there are still some areas of her game that need improvement, especially at the defensive end. The coaches think there could be some matchup problems depending on what position she plays.

Regarding her dad--he already is a problem. I attended the game in Ankeny that he was kicked out of. If I were Coach McTagart or the athletic director I would have had a talk with him. I know when Larry Brown was still the athletic director at City High, he a direct talk (more of a speech) with Mike Gatens after being removed from one of his daughters basketball games. Mike immediately started on Larry in the lobby, and Larry shut him down in a second saying if he ever wanted to see either of his kids play a home game again he was gong to "stop his s#*t". Matt was an underclassmen at the time.

I would say the same to Brian. Again, out of respect for the girls as both Courtney and Ashley are tremendous young women, I won't go into detail. But it is accurate to say they have succeeded in spite of their father, not because of him.

Last edited:
"It will take the right kind of coaching staff and environment to bring the best out in her"???? That, my friends, is what we call a red flag. I hope she succeeds at Duke, I really do.
It happens way more often than you may realize hawkbuck. Iowa is not immune to it as they have sent some kids packing after similar situations. I found out myself when your paycheck depends on the performance of 18-21 year olds. Given your situation and specific areas of need, there are certain kids you can and sometimes should take a risk on. Unless you are at UCONN, Maryland or Notre Dame very few coaches in the women's game today have the luxury of getting just about any recruit they want.

I hope she succeeds at Duke as well, but that coaching staff doesn't stroke player's egos. I don't think either one of us would be surprised if she doesn't finish her college career there. One of two things will happen--She will grow up quickly, increase her work ethic and improve her game, or she will fold up tent and transfer. I don't see a middle ground for that type of kid.

She took a giant step forward over the summer, but there are still some areas of her game that need improvement. Especially at the defensive end.

She took a big step forward over the summer. Like any player there are still some areas of her game that need improvement, especially at the defensive end. The coaches think there could be some matchup problems depending on what position she plays.

Regarding her dad--he already is a problem. I attended the game in Ankeny that he was kicked out of. If I were Coach McTagart or the athletic director I would have had a talk with him. I know when Larry Brown was still the athletic director at City High, he a direct talk (more of a speech) with Mike Gatens after being removed from one of his daughters basketball games. Mike immediately started on Larry in the lobby, and Larry shut him down in a second saying if he ever wanted to see either of his kids play a home game again he was gong to "stop his s#*t". Matt was an underclassmen at the time.

I would say the same to Brian. Again, out of respect for the girls as both Courtney and Ashley are tremendous young women, I won't go into detail. But it is accurate to say they have succeeded in spite of their father, not because of him.
Last sentence might be a little harsh. I have heard that their dad is in the gym with them pretty much on a daily basis working them out (which I think includes 4 or 5 daughters). I think their basketball success is influenced by him greatly.

Last sentence might be a little harsh. I have heard that their dad is in the gym with them pretty much on a daily basis working them out (which I think includes 4 or 5 daughters). I think their basketball success is influenced by him greatly.

Yes...he does work with them a ton which can be good, but also he also imparts a lot of bad habits and attitude (basically selfishness). In short, Dad is the reason why none of the girls will get a look from Iowa. He's a lunatic. I'll follow non-poster's lead and won't do into detail as this isn't place to get into it. The girls are good kids but through no fault of their own, bring way too much baggage.

On the Treece front, I will say she has a personality that wouldn't blend well with the type of player (character) that Iowa usually recruits. A bit coarse. After watching her play a few games, I'm sure glad we got Megan. Treece does a lot of standing around when the play isn't to her. In her defense, AAU ball is more about the guards.

I like Ashley Joen's game a lot. And she is a nice, quiet kid. I haven't had any dealings with her dad. Too bad if he is what is keeping Iowa away.

There are other schools besides Iowa who have already offered her. Plenty, matter of fact. She will be fine without being a Hawkeye. Joens, Berg and Clark should be fun to watch next summer with the Attack. All three of them are big time D1 players.

I know.....never said she wouldn't be fine. She's a good player. Just explaining why Iowa won't offer.

Yes...he does work with them a ton which can be good, but also he also imparts a lot of bad habits and attitude (basically selfishness). In short, Dad is the reason why none of the girls will get a look from Iowa. He's a lunatic. I'll follow non-poster's lead and won't do into detail as this isn't place to get into it. The girls are good kids but through no fault of their own, bring way too much baggage.
I tend to like the WBB threads a little better than the other sports, because there doesn't tend to be as much drama and those that post pretty much know their stuff and are respectful of each other even when there are differences of opinion. This "never ending" thread is a good example.

70 and 24 you both have good points. I will wrap up my contribution on this particular topic by saying, I do think Brian Joens loves his kids and I would give him credit for being a good coach for younger players--strong on fundamentals, etc. Often youth coaches don't get the credit they deserve, but are crucial in the early development of future athletes. He was living on borrowed time almost from the first day he took the IC Regina job. He was blessed with tremendous athletes that squeezed way more out of a very plain and limited offense he installed, but he was outcoached on several occasions and also ran afoul of some prominent parents.

If it were just an issue of not being able to control himself at games that would be an irritation, but one a current/future coach could work around. It goes way beyond that. It is a testament to Ashley and Courtney (and some strong support outside the home) that things haven't disintegrated for them. In all honesty, it would probably benefit them to get away from home and hit the reset button. When she suits up for her first college game, I would not be surprised to see Ashley at Drake.

I tend to like the WBB threads a little better than the other sports, because there doesn't tend to be as much drama and those that post pretty much know their stuff and are respectful of each other even when there are differences of opinion. This "never ending" thread is a good example.

70 and 24 you both have good points. I will wrap up my contribution on this particular topic by saying, I do think Brian Joens loves his kids and I would give him credit for being a good coach for younger players--strong on fundamentals, etc. Often youth coaches don't get the credit they deserve, but are crucial in the early development of future athletes. He was living on borrowed time almost from the first day he took the IC Regina job. He was blessed with tremendous athletes that squeezed way more out of a very plain and limited offense he installed, but he was outcoached on several occasions and also ran afoul of some prominent parents.

If it were just an issue of not being able to control himself at games that would be an irritation, but one a current/future coach could work around. It goes way beyond that. It is a testament to Ashley and Courtney (and some strong support outside the home) that things haven't disintegrated for them. In all honesty, it would probably benefit them to get away from home and hit the reset button. When she suits up for her first college game, I would not be surprised to see Ashley at Drake.

Is Joens' dad a coach in the GTL? I seem to remember seeing the name popping up in the list of coaches, though maybe not this year.

It's been a few weeks since I talked to any of the coaches. The last thing Coach Jensen said to me was "they are still shopping around."

Alisia Smith is the last uncomitted 2017 from this list and it seems that Iowa is still in consideration for her. From what I can tell, she appears to be 'in the mold' (physically) of Chase. She made 10 three-pointers last season as a junior and shot 82% on her FT's. I haven't seen her listed in any recruiting rankings.

Iowa 2017 target from Michigan (F-C) Alisia Smith commits to PSU.
It would appear as though Iowa may be out of possible 2017 options unless there is a surprise that no one knows about. I'm still hoping for one [surprise] in particular.

It would appear as though Iowa may be out of possible 2017 options unless there is a surprise that no one knows about. I'm still hoping for one [surprise] in particular.
Cyber--this was my concern when we talked about this over the summer. Maybe she has changed her mind, but the last time I talked to Coach Bluder, she literally said she wasn't worried about, or focusing on, getting a true center until '18. When I asked why, she said "We have Megan." I respectfully asked why she wouldn't want to build some depth at the position, especially given that the powers in the Big Ten have multiple quality posts and how that has given Iowa matchup troubles in the past. She said she didn't think it was a concern.

There is an Iowa kid who would love to wear the Hawkeye jersey for her college career that I tried to put on the coaching staff's radar last season who has the makings of a good/physical center, but right now they just seem cool to adding another until they absolutely have to.

Please elaborate on the one in particular.

Please elaborate on the one in particular.
Pure speculation BGHAWK. There is still one uncommitted ranked player in Iowa's recruiting territory that has never been mentioned here (that I can recall) and there is really no indication that she is even considering Iowa, but I think she would be a great addition. Nevertheless, at this point she is a 'long shot', but I am still hoping.

Last edited:
Cyber--this was my concern when we talked about this over the summer. Maybe she has changed her mind, but the last time I talked to Coach Bluder, she literally said she wasn't worried about, or focusing on, getting a true center until '18. When I asked why, she said "We have Megan." I respectfully asked why she wouldn't want to build some depth at the position, especially given that the powers in the Big Ten have multiple quality posts and how that has given Iowa matchup troubles in the past. She said she didn't think it was a concern.

There is an Iowa kid who would love to wear the Hawkeye jersey for her college career that I tried to put on the coaching staff's radar last season who has the makings of a good/physical center, but right now they just seem cool to adding another until they absolutely have to.
This could mean one or more of the following...
She is confident in the young posts (including Hannah) she has now and...
She believes she has a good lead on a 2018 center or...
She is just trying to put a positive spin on the situation.

This could mean one or more of the following...
She is confident in the posts (including Hannah) she has now and...
She believes she has a good lead on a 2018 center or...
She is just trying to put a positive spin on the situation.

I think you can add a fourth option--She really doesn't think she needs another center until '18. In all honesty, they were somewhat lucky to have landed Gustafson.

If they really do wait until '18 to sign a true center, one of the kids I would like to see them go after is Cynthia Wolfe from Cedar Falls. At 6'4 she is a slightly taller and much more physical version of Chase Coley. As a sophomore this last season, she gave up volleyball to concentrate on basketball. Despite being a little raw offensively, she still averaged over 10 points and just under 8 rebounds a game. She played AAU this summer on the same team as high school team mate Kiana Barney, Rachel Saunders and Tatum Koenig just to name a few. She saw her offers explode in just a 2 month time span, but has a soft spot for Iowa. She would fit the mold Coach Bluder likes in her bigs, as she can get up and down the floor. I have brought her name up in several conversations, and I believe Coach Jensen may have reached out to Coach Groen, but I'm not up to the latest.

This thread is 24 pages long, can someone condense it for me ant just let me know who Iowa has signed coming in next yr and the verbal pledges so far and ranking.

This thread is 24 pages long, can someone condense it for me ant just let me know who Iowa has signed coming in next yr and the verbal pledges so far and ranking.
Jinaya Houston (Davenport North) is the only 2017 commit so far & will sign this fall. She didn't really play AAU ball enough to be evaluated/ranked but one service has her around #67 in her class.

Indianola would be Grace Berg 6-0, 2018.
Ashtyn Veerbeek is from Western Christian, 6-2, 2018
The Hawks are looking at some other 2018 posts.
Plus a bunch of 2019 and 2020 players.
They might be going for a big class in 2018.
With Jinaya as the only 2017 they would have a roster of 12 players next year. They would lose Christina Buttenham and Chase Coley from that squad and have 5 scholarships to give.

Indianola would be Grace Berg 6-0, 2018.
Ashtyn Veerbeek is from Western Christian, 6-2, 2018
The Hawks are looking at some other 2018 posts.
Plus a bunch of 2019 and 2020 players.
They might be going for a big class in 2018.
With Jinaya as the only 2017 they would have a roster of 12 players next year. They would lose Christina Buttenham and Chase Coley from that squad and have 5 scholarships to give.

They need another post or PF on this year's class

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Deja Church, 5-9 G, Southfield High A&T (MI), has announced her commitment to Minnesota, joining Destiny Pitts in their 2017 class.

Raoul is also reporting that the Iowa staff was in Rock Island for Brea Beal's open gym.

Carmen Backes (6-1 W, Chicago Lakes MN 2018) played in some games last season with a broken vertebrae in her back until January. She healed and was playing AAU by June.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT