ADVERTISEMENT

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

I don’t care for it, too slow moving and never really gets going. Not really a fan of any of their other songs either.

OP's moms name is Dixie
Oh I Get It GIF by CBS

Boring af.
One of those songs people pretend to like around their friends, but nobody actually likes the song.. like Billy Joel Piano Man

You shut your whore mouth about Piano Man, that is a classic. 1996, Andrews, upstairs after concert drinks, Billy walks in and after a request played Piano Man for the 20 people that were there and it was glorious

As to the OPs question, I do not look to Canucks for my Southern anthems.

The Band toured the south for years as Ronnie Hawkins and The Hawks. They know Southern music as well anyone.

I'm frankly surprised and the responses here; The Band is an iconic, roots rock/Americana staple. But I guess it's more of an age thing. I don't get all the rap/hip hop, death metal crap the youth of America revere today.

Levon was the man.
The song I don't like is The Weight. Just a bunch of hippy nonsense. What kind of person tries to give his dog away to someone who might not be able to feed him properly?

This is the first version of that song I remember.

Written by Canadian Robbie Robertson, sung by the universally-revered and outspoken progressive Levon Helm, and made into a pop hit in 1971 by folk singer and activist Joan Baez who took the song to #3 in the United States, “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” is an iconic piece of Americana and music history.

Levon was the man.
The song I don't like is The Weight. Just a bunch of hippy nonsense. What kind of person tries to give his dog away to someone who might not be able to feed him properly?
have you even been to nazareth?

Notes: One, I love Piano Man and second, I almost posted the following song on the good/decent/worth listening to foreign language songs thread last week

............................................................................................................................................................................

A German version is titled "The Day Conny Kramer Died."

In this song, Werding tells the story of the fictional Conny Kramer, who is a drug addict no one can help and finally dies. The character is based on Werding's friend Peter, who she walked the streets with in the German city of Essen making street music. Peter was the first drug addict in that city who died from his habit.

This might be more palatable to some:

First a translation:

Am Tag, als Conny Kramer starb​

We lay in the grass dreaming
Our heads full of crazy ideas
Then he said just for fun
Come let's go on a trip.
But the smoke tasted bitter
Yet Conny told me what he saw
A sea of light and colours
We did not suspect
What was about to happen soon afterwards.

The day Conny Kramer died
And all the bells were ringing
And all the friends were crying for him.
That was a sad day
Because inside myself a world was shattered.

He often promised: "I'll quit."
That gave me new hope
And I told myself
With love everything will be allright.
But the joints became trips,
There was no stop on the crooked path.
People started to talk
But nobody offered Conny help.

That was a sad day

On his last time he said
Now I can see heaven
I screamed at him: "Oh, come back!"
He couldn't understand it anymore.
I didn't even have tears anymore,
I had lost everything I had.
Life just keeps moving on,
For me all that remains are
The flowers on his grave.

That was a sad day
https://lyricstranslate.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck C
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT