ADVERTISEMENT

The "Threat to Democracy" Slogan Not Working

Jul 16, 2022
Dems should really demand a refund from the consultant who came up with this idea.

A new NY Times/Sienna poll ...

1) Among registers voters .... they view Democrats as a bigger threat to democracy than Republicans ... 33% to 28%.

2) Among registered voters, the Media is seen as bigger threat to democracy than Electoral College, Supreme Court, Biden or Trump.

Tom Paris and Chis think it's a great slogan, and mightily disagree with the OP.
Waiting for their reaction on this ... from their favorite news organization.

Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero

Just repeat the 2020 that they plan on taxing the rich to pay for their stuff.

they decided to just spend even more than trump and ignore the raising of taxes.

if Biden can executive order a $30 billion dollar a year spending bill can’t he do a taxing bill to pay for it ?

Among registered voters, the Media is seen as bigger threat to democracy than Electoral College, Supreme Court, Biden or Trump.
This surprises nobody.

Also, if the choices were: dems, trump,, Supreme Court, magas...dems would easily receive the most votes because dems would split theirs.

The truth: there is no current threat to democracy in America. If I were to choose one, it would be election security. Lack of confidence in an election result is the ONLY thing that could meaningfully impact democracy, and it would have to be more than a few hundred angry MAGAs.

This surprises nobody.

Also, if the choices were: dems, trump,, Supreme Court, magas...dems would easily receive the most votes because dems would split theirs.

The truth: there is no current threat to democracy in America. If I were to choose one, it would be election security. Lack of confidence in an election result is the ONLY thing that could meaningfully impact democracy, and it would have to be more than a few hundred angry MAGAs.
So you're just going to ignore what Republicans are saying and doing in states to be able to cast out electors they don't care for? You're telling me you think that is democratic? Not at all like Russia/Putin? Ok then.

Dems should really demand a refund from the consultant who came up with this idea.

1) Among registers voters .... they view Democrats as a bigger threat to democracy than Republicans ... 33% to 28%.

2) Among registered voters, the Media is seen as bigger threat to democracy than Electoral College, Supreme Court, Biden or Trump.

“Registered voters” are idiots! Anyone who understands and appreciates this nTion’s History knows that the FF believed that the key to the government they invented was a knowledgible and informed public....and a FREE and independent press is responsible for this needed ingredient.
“Registered voters” want the news they want to hear....not the news as it. It happens,

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
LOL. I'm think Liz is going to MSNBC after that 30 point shellacking by the Wyoming voters in the primary. Kamala replacement on the 2024 ticket???
I'm paraphrasing something I saw on TMB:

Wyoming voters: we are the most conservative state in the nation here is what matters to us...

Liz: I'm going after Trump

Wyoming voters: we are a big sky state who makes its living off the land and AG

Wyoming voters: (Liz loses in a landslide)

Liz: ALL YOU GUYS CARE ABOUT IS TRUMP!!!

(It's amazing how accurate and true it is)

Reactions: TornadoHawk93

Amazing how easily swayed Americans are by silly propaganda.
Probably linked to the attacks on our public education system

Meanwhile, this guy (who is far far away from being any "liberal") totally gets it

A powerful new litigant has joined one of the most momentous cases slated to be heard by the Supreme Court this term. The respondents in the case of Moore v. Harper filed a brief today that included a surprising new signatory: J. Michael Luttig, who has been known for years as perhaps the most conservative Republican judge in the country. Now, though, he has joined a coalition of veteran lawyers and nonpartisan government-watchdog groups who are fighting against a far-right Republican election-law challenge—one so radical that critics say it has the potential to end American democracy as we know it.
The former judge is a surprising co-counsel to Neal Katyal, the well-known Supreme Court litigator. Katyal is a counsel of record in the case for several respondents, including Common Cause and the North Carolina League of Conservation Voters, that are opposing the far-right groups. The case is scheduled to be heard by the Court on December 7th. Luttig told me that he signed on as Katyal’s co-counsel because he regards Moore v. Harper as “without question the most significant case in the history of our nation for American democracy.” Putting it more colloquially, he said, “Legally, it’s the whole ballgame.”

LOL. I'm think Liz is going to MSNBC after that 30 point shellacking by the Wyoming voters in the primary. Kamala replacement on the 2024 ticket???
The masses are asses, busting. At least is brave enough to look the truth in the eye and tell her people what they do not want to hear. Shame on Liz, huh?

“Registered voters” are idiots! Anyone who understands and appreciates this nTion’s History knows that the FF believed that the key to the government they invented was a knowledgible and informed public....and a FREE and independent press is responsible for this needed ingredient.
“Registered voters” want the news they want to hear....not the news as it. It happens,
I fully agree with you on the Freedom of the Press and everything in the 1st Amendment ... probably why it's 1st. I think what this poll may be telling us is people don't believe the press anymore (both sides) ... not that they don't believe Freedom of the Press is not important. So, I assume you are fully in support of not censoring individuals on the internet (press or individuals)?

Reactions: goldmom
I fully agree with you on the Freedom of the Press and everything in the 1st Amendment ... probably why it's 1st. I think what this poll may be telling us is people don't believe the press anymore

I think what the poll tells you, is that it's mostly party lines you're seeing
And GOP pollsters are fired up

The divide fell sharply along partisan lines, with 87 percent of voters who supported former President Trump in 2020 indicating they view the media is a major threat, while 33 percent of Biden voters during that election cycle said the same thing.

Reactions: BelemNole

Wyoming voters: we are the most conservative state in the nation here is what matters to us...

It’s not even remotely accurate. Wyoming has gone full retard.

Reactions: nelly02
It is because anyone with half a brain knows that it is BS posturing. That is why the lefties here eat it up.
The 1/6 event was alarming to any thinking person. The major difference is the extent of the alarm. The rhetoric from many on the left has drummed up even more alarm in many people. They truly believe there was a danger in the US Government being overthrown and Trump keeping power. There was never any realistic threat of that happening. It was simply a riot, not an insurrection. If there was any intent by the majority of the rioters, it was disruption of that day's process. It's pretty clear there was no plan beyond that.

The Founders knew an informed public was necessary for democracy to succeed.

They believed that free speech and press would result in an informed public.

They believed that in the free market of ideas, truth would win over lies.

We now know that was wishful thinking.

The question is, what are we going to do about it?

So "registered voters" are a threat to democracy?

When the only thing Chaney doesn't toe the Conservative line on is that the 2020 Election was stolen from Trump and then loses to a Trump lapdog by 30 points. It's a fair assumption to make that the only thing Wyoming voters care about is loyalty to Trump.

No...a primary is no measure of democracy...a primary is no cross section of Americana...it is a slice of a slice.
A primary or caucus is certainly the start of the process though. If they aren't, why bother with them? Not unless you want the guys in the smoke filled room determine your candidate. You have to build a foundation before you can build a house.

Reactions: goldmom
The 1/6 event was alarming to any thinking person. The major difference is the extent of the alarm. The rhetoric from many on the left has drummed up even more alarm in many people. They truly believe there was a danger in the US Government being overthrown and Trump keeping power. There was never any realistic threat of that happening. It was simply a riot, not an insurrection. If there was any intent by the majority of the rioters, it was disruption of that day's process. It's pretty clear there was no plan beyond that.
You may be right.

Then again, that's what a lot of people were saying during the Bolshevik Revolution.

This column acts like Democratic failure to center the message is the cause of the issue not taking hold.

It's exactly the opposite, they aren't centering the message because polling has already told them that it's not a winning message with voters. They tried...it's just not a winner.

Most people think the whole Jan. 6 phenomena is primarily a Trump phenomena first and foremost, at least until proven otherwise. It was an ugly and troubling episode, but institutions held. Obviously, Democratic leaders and partisans don't believe that (or say they don't), but the rest of the country isn't there yet. At least until Trump is officially back on the ticket.

Separately and more generally, I wonder if there is something there about "doomsday" calls to action. I haven't seen any studies, but it seems to me that doomsday threat appeals in general tend to fall well short of the mark, if not have the opposite effect.

This doesn't prove that at all. Nice narrative though. Republicans NEVER cared about 1/6 anyway, because tribalism.
And let's not forget that the reason why many people downplay the 1/6 attempt to subvert democracy is that they have been lied to about it by most serving Republicans, a former President, the propaganda wing of the GOP (FOX), and multiple right wing and neofascist news rags and organizations.

That a lot of America is wrong on how seditious these rioters and plotters were is no accident.

actually true.
I’m sure something like Journolist lives on.

POLITICO contacted nearly three dozen current JList members for this story. The majority either declined to comment or didn’t respond to interview requests — and then returned to JList to post items on why they wouldn’t be talking to POLITICO about what goes on there.
In an e-mail, Klein said he understands that the JList’s off-the-record rule “makes it seems secretive.” But he insisted that
JList discussions have to be off the record in order to “ensure that folks feel safe giving off-the-cuff analysis and instant reactions.”

Liz: Trump called my Daddy names like hawk and neocon and defense stooge so I care more about the Cheney family and we decided to get back at him and the Wyoming voters know it...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT