ADVERTISEMENT

The U-2 is still flying - and is regarded as the most difficult to fly in the AF

I'll try to respond to a few of the posts and answer any other questions that I can on an internet forum. I flew the U-2 from 2010 until my retirement last year, total of 1147 flight hours. Here's a video that Air Force public affairs did of a mission I flew over Iraq/Syria in the summer of 2016. And yes, I probably checked HROT Off Topic when I got back to my room that evening :)

U-2 pilot prep and mission
How long did that pre-flight prep last? From the first step to actually being in the air?

They leak when on the ground because they are designed to fly really high. The pieces of the plane expand at higher altitudes so it no longer leaks. Unfortunately, close to the ground the pieces don't fit as as snuggly so they do leak. It was actually designed to be that way.

Exactly.

I can also say they are crazy loud. I had one randomly open it up on the flightline right next to me. I dont know if he was trying to burn off a little fuel or what, but my vision was pretty much 100% blurred and shaky during the duration of the event. I didnt have on any hearing protection at the time, jerks. That was probably the second loudest event I dealt with, B1 is stupid loud.

You might want to Google synthetic aperture radars. There are plenty of space assets that have this and they see through clouds just fine. It isn't 1957.

Well then, I stand corrected. I was mostly concerned with the ASARS on the aircraft, so I haven't done much research into satellite imagery capability. The flexibility of the U-2 is it's main advantage.

Reactions: GOHOX69
How long did that pre-flight prep last? From the first step to actually being in the air?

We had to be on 100% O2 at least 60 minutes prior to take-off to help prevent de-compression sickness at altitude. You could take a walk-around bottle with you, but that became a pain in the ass trying to hold your breath while getting the helmet on, so most people would just get into the suit early, sit in the recliner and watch tv or take a nap. We would show up at the squadron 2 hours prior to takeoff, get intel briefs, flight briefs, etc. Get suited up and head out to the aircraft about 35-40 min prior.

Well then, I stand corrected. I was mostly concerned with the ASARS on the aircraft, so I haven't done much research into satellite imagery capability. The flexibility of the U-2 is it's main advantage.
As you noted, everyone knows the times for the orbital satellites and the geostationaries are 22,000+ miles away and situated exclusively above the equator.

Thanks for all your help! The only time I didn't enjoy talking was when the MOC would invariably call with an hourly update right as I was trying to take a whiz.
Or when a CM would need to slide a sortie right/left. Man, we'd catch some $hit for those! Crew Rest, blah blah blah [#$#!@@! in my ear]. I miss those days!

As you noted, everyone knows the times for the orbital satellites and the geostationaries are 22,000+ miles away and situated exclusively above the equator.

That, unto itself is pretty amazing when you think about how many there are.

459a4dcc3707bc773603ff5b49c26058.gif

Yep, live just down the road in Lincoln. I retired in 2019, flew for an airline, got furloughed a few months ago, now back at Beale as a defense contractor.
Nice. My folks are up the road in Meadow Vista. He put in 26 years and retired out of SA before starting his second career and then retiring here. My brother did the same but is still in SA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT