ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Akwuba

With all due respect it's a dumb hill you are dying on here. Just dumb. Kenyon played at Iowa. Now somehow becasue of that it's a negative or Fran just got lucky because in the early 90's Kris and Keegan's dad decided to come to Iowa, hoop, and then meets his wife and settle in CR. Stop being obtuse.

Fran will find a center. Fans were excited about Rebraca last year. It's amazing you guys are losing your minds over a center you didn't know about a week ago.

i wish you would visit and comment more often. ;)

I disagree, Tom. I don't think it's amazing at all.
Are people losing their minds over this one guy or the fact that the likelihood of bringing in a quality big appears to be dwindling at the same time that people are becoming more concerned that Kris won't be returning. Should both of these come to pass that's going to be a huge hit to Iowa's front line and their hopes for another tournament bid.

I think people are overreacting a bit about not getting Akwuba. I think it's also about the fact that there aren't that many quality big men prospects left in the portal. We were so close to getting him it seems so you wonder if Fran is in on another big.

Losing Kris would be the far bigger blow, though.

Reactions: amahawk
Are people losing their minds over this one guy or the fact that the likelihood of bringing in a quality big appears to be dwindling at the same time that people are becoming more concerned that Kris won't be returning. Should both of these come to pass that's going to be a huge hit to Iowa's front line and their hopes for another tournament bid.
There are like 1,500 players in the portal. Fran will find someone who is a solid player.

Here's the deal with Kris. As we reported last week, he was invited to the NBA Combine. Great for him. That's awesome. As I have said from the beginning, if a team tells him he's a first round pick, time to go play pro ball. That's his mindset too. But, there's a path he has to travel starting with the continued workouts in Chicago, then the Combine, and then you see if a team will tell you, yeah, you are ready and we are going to take you late in the first round. Hitting the panic button isn't needed at this point. This was always a possibly with Kris or any player who enters the draft. It just takes one team to fall in love with you.

Yep.

@TomKakert is speaking the truth and your and @nbanflfactory 's opinions are ridiculously bad.
I’ve never even commented on This cat lol. I will wait until if Fran is able to get someone to state my opinion on the player since there are 20 names thrown out a day and we haven’t landed one yet.

NBA factory’s opinion is kind of off the wall and makes no sense.

There are like 1,500 players in the portal. Fran will find someone who is a solid player.

Here's the deal with Kris. As we reported last week, he was invited to the NBA Combine. Great for him. That's awesome. As I have said from the beginning, if a team tells him he's a first round pick, time to go play pro ball. That's his mindset too. But, there's a path he has to travel starting with the continued workouts in Chicago, then the Combine, and then you see if a team will tell you, yeah, you are ready and we are going to take you late in the first round. Hitting the panic button isn't needed at this point. This was always a possibly with Kris or any player who enters the draft. It just takes one team to fall in love with you.
Message boards are set up to hit panic button it is what we do 😁

I guess I never saw the "1st round or return to Iowa" stated. Is that a known thing or more of an assumption with Kris?

I guess I never saw the "1st round or return to Iowa" stated. Is that a known thing or more of an assumption with Kris?
If you read the literal text of what you quoted, it was Kakert who said it. He literally said "As I have said from the beginning, if a team tells him he's a first round pick, time to go play pro ball."

Reactions: perryhawk
If you read the literal text of what you quoted, it was Kakert who said it. He literally said "As I have said from the beginning, if a team tells him he's a first round pick, time to go play pro ball."
Right. But my question was whether that was Tom's opinion or if he had inside knowledge that it's that cut & dried. He has a lot more access than the rest of us so might know more than has been posted here.

I think people are overreacting a bit about not getting Akwuba. I think it's also about the fact that there aren't that many quality big men prospects left in the portal. We were so close to getting him it seems so you wonder if Fran is in on another big.

I think the bigger part of the reaction is who we lost out to. It wasn’t like Kentucky swooped in and signed him. It was Ole Miss, a school with barely any basketball history.

I think people are realizing that we will be going down, not up, in this new world of using NIL for recruiting and deep down that is why a good portion of the complaining is happening.

It's common sense and yes some knowledge of the situation as well.
Common sense? All due respect, there are plenty of guys that go pro knowing they won't be a 1st rounder. If a kid was told he'd go in the second round or would have a good shot at being called up quickly, it might warrant staying in the draft.

I hope we get Kris back and I hope we land a big man. Those two things could lead to another special season.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Common sense? All due respect, there are plenty of guys that go pro knowing they won't be a 1st rounder. If a kid was told he'd go in the second round or would have a good shot at being called up quickly, it might warrant staying in the draft.

I hope we get Kris back and I hope we land a big man. Those two things could lead to another special season.
I think that there's some verbal gymnastics involved here. Saying that Kris is 100% gone if he gets guidance that a first round opportunity is available to him is not the same thing as saying that Kris is 100% on coming back if he's not a lock for the first round. Perhaps that's the situation but the first statement doesn't necessarily infer the second.

Reactions: BBHawk

I think they are losing it over Fran just sucking at recruiting using the portal, he strikes out left right and middle....

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I’ve never even commented on This cat lol. I will wait until if Fran is able to get someone to state my opinion on the player since there are 20 names thrown out a day and we haven’t landed one yet.

NBA factory’s opinion is kind of off the wall and makes no sense.

20 names thrown out a day, huh? Please list those 20 names from yesterday. It shouldn't be hard for you. Or, can you list 20 names that Iowa has been connected to since the end of the season? Of course you can't.

And this is what I meant when I wrote above that your opinions and comments are ridiculously bad. Not just in this thread but in every thread.

And you want to talk about @nbanflfactory 's opinions and comments being off the wall and making no sense? That's funny.

All I'll say if anyone telling Kris he is 1st rd guy I'd take their word as serious as those who told Goodson he was a mid round pick last week. I'm a big fan of Kris but I'm sorry he is not a 1st rd pick this year. Even 2nd is a stretch. Only 58 picks this year (2 forfeited by penalty). Lot of talented successful college players projected to be 2nd or undrafted like Kofi then you throw in the foreign players who teams like to draft and stash in the 2nd rd. Have to wonder if his twin isn't an AA does he have same people in his ear telling him this same stuff?

20 names thrown out a day, huh? Please list those 20 names from yesterday. It shouldn't be hard for you. Or, can you list 20 names that Iowa has been connected to since the end of the season? Of course you can't.

And this is what I meant when I wrote above that your opinions and comments are ridiculously bad. Not just in this thread but in every thread.

And you want to talk about @nbanflfactory 's opinions and comments being off the wall and making no sense? That's funny.
You understand what exaggeration means, correct?

Can Ogundele and Mulvey play? Time for them to step up. I am more concerned about that than a Big from the Portal.

Reactions: perryhawk
All I'll say if anyone telling Kris he is 1st rd guy I'd take their word as serious as those who told Goodson he was a mid round pick last week. I'm a big fan of Kris but I'm sorry he is not a 1st rd pick this year. Even 2nd is a stretch. Only 58 picks this year (2 forfeited by penalty). Lot of talented successful college players projected to be 2nd or undrafted like Kofi then you throw in the foreign players who teams like to draft and stash in the 2nd rd. Have to wonder if his twin isn't an AA does he have same people in his ear telling him this same stuff?
It's been mentioned here many times. College success has no little bearing on NBA success. If it did, players like Garza, Cockburn, and Timme would have been lottery picks not tail end of the second round players. Most experts believe this draft isn't deep and is very light on international talent. It wouldn't surprise me if a team reaches for potential like Kris and yes, his brother's success has helped. It's another data point that helps them project what he might become as a player.

I think that there's some verbal gymnastics involved here. Saying that Kris is 100% gone if he gets guidance that a first round opportunity is available to him is not the same thing as saying that Kris is 100% on coming back if he's not a lock for the first round. Perhaps that's the situation but the first statement doesn't necessarily infer the second.
This.

I think the bigger part of the reaction is who we lost out to. It wasn’t like Kentucky swooped in and signed him. It was Ole Miss, a school with barely any basketball history.

I think people are realizing that we will be going down, not up, in this new world of using NIL for recruiting and deep down that is why a good portion of the complaining is happening.
And right next door to his home state. I don't think people give enough credence to that.

Reactions: BBHawk
Here’s one thing, and maybe it doesn’t matter. But Fran isn’t hitting the portal like Kris is leaving. He’s been exclusively going after big men. One would think/hope that he’d be way more aggressive if he had solid intel that Kris was actually going to stay in the draft.

I don't think we really know everything that is happening when it comes to basketball recruiting.

If Fran can't use the portal reasonably well, he needs to find a new career. His days are numbered imo. If kenyon didn't play at Iowa, frans seat would already be damn warm.
Damn right! And if he hadn't convinced Cook, Garza, Weiskamp, etc to come to Iowa and hadn't won over 20 games each season, he would be in horrible shape! Good call!

It's so sad that there are people posting on this Hawkeye board that hope Iowa loses every battle for recruits so the team will fail and McCaffery MIGHT get fired. Great fans!
Where did you get that assumption from my post jackass?

Understand, but that specific person who was asked has zero financial responsibility unless he wants to participate, so what is your point?
My point was simple, that (supposedly) Iowa fan on an Iowa message board was bitching about Iowa not having an NIL fund set up. No specific person has a financial responsibility to help fund NIL, but I think the question is appropriate given the guy's post.

Well Josh didn’t look that bad. Him and Mulvey better hit the weight room.
I have been accused of having a low standard by defending Rebraca, who is several levels better than Josh in all aspects of the game except size. Big O won't get pushed around, but otherwise, there have only been very small spurts of something better. Mulvey and Big O will get better. but even then, if Kris leaves, do we really want our 4/5 positions to be a combination of Rebraca, Big O, Mulvey and Connor? Unless there is a small miracle in Josh and/or Mulvey's development, I don't.

Kris has really good people advising him. The NBA drafts more on potential than they do on college performance.

He's working out with several NBA level players currently. If he's shining in that environment it's definitely possible he'll get the attention of some scouts and move up to a draft spot.

If Kris is wavering and both sides of the coin look attractive to him, it may be the perfect time for a booster or company to make him an attractive NIL offer to tip the scales toward returning.
I'm not sure a NIL deal would sway his decision too much outside of something completely outrageous which isn't happening. I think it's more about mindset. If he wants to move on and he's being told that he's got a great shot at getting drafted I see him probably moving on. If he's not actively looking to move on then he'll probably return if the odds of getting a first round pick are low. JoeW was the same age when he left after being told he's a likely second round pick and it's worked out pretty well so far. He could have stayed another year if he wanted but he'd made the decision that he wanted to start the next chapter. I'm not exactly sure why Kris would weigh it differently if the opportunity is there, especially with Keegan moving on.

My guess is Kris can get paid pretty good money as a G-leaguer for a team that has patience to give him another year to blossom. Kris spent most of the past 2 years sitting on bench playing behind the coach's boys.
Almost everyone who gets drafted is expected to take a year or two to blossom.

I've been telling people this for about 3 months. Its extremely plausible Kris gets a first round or early second grade based on where scouts assume he will be next year.

The jump Keegan made from year 1 to two will help scouts perception of Kris a lot.

He would have been a first rounder this year just given the same playing time Keegan got his first two years.

ADVERTISEMENT