ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Johnson announcing Monday

Isn’t Kirk visiting on Monday?
I take off my hat to the Hawks for going after this young man but I have zero confidence he'll be a Hawk. I was surprised he took an unofficial visit late in the season though. My money's on Penn State unfortunately.

As with all other forms of stereotyping, it is erroneous to assume. It is erroneous to assume 4-5 star kids aren't coachable or hard working as much as assuming 2 star kids are coachable and hard working. AJ Epenesa, as exhibit A in a myriad of exhibits, is as humble, hard working, etc. as any 2 star MAC steal we've ever had. It would be moronic to assume otherwise as observers and/or to recruit based on stars, both for 4-5 star kids or against them it's about fit and the ability to motivate players. 5 star kids are just as motivate-able as 2 star. If they weren't, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. would not win title after title against their regional foes.

What may be more accurate is to say 4-5 star kids, generally speaking, are closer to their ceiling earlier. Not necessarily staking a claim on that, but some staffs are better at motivating while others may be better at developing. There is no one size fits all anything.

KF, to his credit, is gifted with self-understanding. He knows who he is and who he can coach through the years. My humble guess is he brought in 2005's class of highly rated kids, saw the fit wasn't good, and went back to what worked. We get 4 stars occasionally, but they have to be of a certain mindset for the staff to see a fit. He values accountability more than talent. He values kids who aren't "problems". Another coach may value ceiling more than accountability and is good at navigating problem kids. It doesn't matter. You can win many ways, and KF has found his way whether one agrees or not.
Certainly some coaches, (yes even some in the BIG), navigate these problem kids by either caving in or covering up whatever mess they create. Fortunately, this has not been, nor will it be in the foreseeable future, an issue at Iowa.

The first part is a great point.

The second part, not necessarily. He may feel he will develop anywhere and wants to win conference and national titles which let's be real, he has a better shot at that at PSU or Georgia.
And he may not need the development at all, something Iowa obviously wants to provide for their recruits.

A lot of guys are immediately ready to perform (David Bell!) and seek out the program/coach that will cut them loose right away so they can be the star player that they're born to be.

Certainly some coaches, (yes even some in the BIG), navigate these problem kids by either caving in or covering up whatever mess they create. Fortunately, this has not been, nor will it be in the foreseeable future, an issue at Iowa.
Man, you sure graduated to "problem kid" and "mess they create" rather quickly.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Man, you sure graduated to "problem kid" and "mess they create" rather quickly.
This was not intended to have any implication on the character of young Theo, so sorry if it was taken that way. I was simple commenting on Humble Pies post that some coaches are OK dealing with players who are problems, so this was a generalization, nothing more.....

Certainly some coaches, (yes even some in the BIG), navigate these problem kids by either caving in or covering up whatever mess they create.

Yes...or coaching them into better men.

I read an article once about the then St. Louis Rams. They had just had Steve Spagnulo as head coach, and a big piece of his leadership was in drafting/signing "good character people" only. He went 10-38... When Jeff Fisher took over, he took wild chances on guys with questionable backgrounds to raise the talent level. They instantly became a .500 team, and I don't remember any guys having trouble with the law or anything. In fact, he educated them with finance courses before offering them contracts, so they wouldn't lose this money as 70% of NFL players do. Fisher wasn't a great head coach, but he made better men out of guys instead of asking for good character guys to begin with and then claiming to have accomplished something.

Last edited:
Do you follow recruiting on Twitter? If you do, you should see what I mean. Theo might be a great kid, not saying he isn't, but "TO ME", the kids on twitter who have to make everything a grand event, are primadonna's. I might be old, I come from the era where when we scored a TD, we just gave the ball to the closest ref and ran back to the huddle. My coach used to say, "If you get to the end zone and score, act like you've been there before". I get it, these kids are excited that they are highly recruited kids, and this is their 15 minutes of Twitter fame, I just prefer a little more modesty and a little less me me me. Just my opinion. That being said, if he chooses Iowa, great, I hope he is all american and lands in the NFL. I ain't got no sour grapes, the kid hasn't choose yet. LOL

Ok boomer

This was not intended to have any implication on the character of young Theo, so sorry if it was taken that way. I was simple commenting on Humble Pies post that some coaches are OK dealing with players who are problems, so this was a generalization, nothing more.....
Ahhh I got ya.

Watch Kittle's heart on that last play today; Noah's breakaways and touchdowns; TJ's pure power and competitiveness. If Theo does not choose Iowa, it's because he does not choose the greatest preparation for Tight Ends in the world; with an offensive coach who coached Gronk and Hernandez at the same time; and a team that uses two or three tight ends more than almost any other P5 team. It would mean that he doesn't really want it. The challenge would be too much. Or, with great courage (and wisdom), he becomes a Hawkeye. We will learn a lot about Mr. Theo tomorrow.

Watch Kittle's heart on that last play today; Noah's breakaways and touchdowns; TJ's pure power and competitiveness. If Theo does not choose Iowa, it's because he does not choose the greatest preparation for Tight Ends in the world; with an offensive coach who coached Gronk and Hernandez at the same time; and a team that uses two or three tight ends more than almost any other P5 team. It would mean that he doesn't really want it. The challenge would be too much. Or, with great courage (and wisdom), he becomes a Hawkeye. We will learn a lot about Mr. Theo tomorrow.

Everyone needs to please shut up with these ridiculously idiotic posts. Theo committing to a different school doesn’t make him a prima donna or bring into question his character or work ethic. It means he likes a different school better than Iowa. JFC people, get a grip.

Everyone needs to please shut up with these ridiculously idiotic posts. Theo committing to a different school doesn’t make him a prima donna or bring into question his character or work ethic. It means he likes a different school better than Iowa. JFC people, get a grip.
Read this one again. Nothing about prima donna, character or work ethic. You've mixed me up with some other posters.

Read this one again. Nothing about prima donna, character or work ethic. You've mixed me up with some other posters.

Maybe not in those exact words, but you claimed he “doesn’t really want it” and that the challenge would be “too much” for him. That’s just as silly of a post as the others I was calling out.

1:45 Eastern.

There are way too many factors going into this than people realize. Theo seems to be a good kid regardless ... Hope he picks Iowa, but he probably won't. He'll do well anywhere I think ... Iowa has a great track record with TEs for sure. He likely would be a shoe in for the NFL if he came to Iowa and worked hard, but there are other factors as I have said.

If he picks Iowa ... great ... If he doesn't ... TE is the position I worry least about as we have some good ones in the fold ...

Do you follow recruiting on Twitter? If you do, you should see what I mean. Theo might be a great kid, not saying he isn't, but "TO ME", the kids on twitter who have to make everything a grand event, are primadonna's. I might be old, I come from the era where when we scored a TD, we just gave the ball to the closest ref and ran back to the huddle. My coach used to say, "If you get to the end zone and score, act like you've been there before". I get it, these kids are excited that they are highly recruited kids, and this is their 15 minutes of Twitter fame, I just prefer a little more modesty and a little less me me me. Just my opinion. That being said, if he chooses Iowa, great, I hope he is all american and lands in the NFL. I ain't got no sour grapes, the kid hasn't choose yet. LOL

We live in a world that is constantly using social media to say, “look at me!” Look at what I’m eating, doing, drinking, pushing their business, political views and everything else.

This isn’t him being a prima dona as much as the way our culture is and you being old :)

It looked like he reached for a Michigan hat at first as a joke as well. I think it was Michigan, video kinda sucked. I'm sure Michigan fans will find plenty of humor in that ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT