ADVERTISEMENT

This cop should have shot sooner

Listening to his crying and sobbing, he was prolly a convicted felon or an parolee looking at another visit. Either way, the cop had a hell of a lot of patience.

I'm ok with firing after he reached for the gun.

My only question is why stay right by the window when the gun is drawn. At that point you are better off getting a little bit of space between you. Was he grabbed by his other arm or something?

If the guy wants to take off fine let him take off you almost certainly have his license plate on dash cam and you can go pick him up later with more people.

Wow, the comments on here. The cop had his hands inside the car, violating his personal space. The cop could have backed off but escalated the situation. Looking at his eyes, he's obviously stoned or has a mental health crisis. I saw a guy afraid for his life and reached out to protect himself.

The officer could have backed off at several points.

Here is a video from a 2024 Springfield, IL shooting of a black woman who is either stoned or in a mental health crisis. The sheriff hired the officer without proper background check. He'd been in trouble for being aggressive in the past. He was also honorably discharged early from on unspecified incident.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
If the guy wants to take off fine let him take off you almost certainly have his license plate on dash cam and you can go pick him up later with more people.
I'll never understand this kind of thinking.

I'd much rather go the other way & instead insist on people complying with lawful police commands. We're in the midst of trying the 'disrespect for law enforcement' way & it's leading to catastrophic results.

I'll never understand this kind of thinking.

I'd much rather go the other way & instead insist on people complying with lawful police commands. We're in the midst of trying the 'disrespect for law enforcement' way & it's leading to catastrophic results.

It's not that we're endorsing people not complying with lawful commands from LEO's. It's that you want to enforce the law in the safest way possible. If the guy is gonna be a douche about it and try to flee/resist. Let him go and COME BACK with more people.

Cop is there all by himself. . . why get into it with a guy who wants to do that? Why take that risk? Pick him up later and bring 6 cops instead of just one.

If someone is showing they want to fight cops shouldn't pursue that fight alone if they can avoid it. If they want to fight come back and bring 5 other cops. Why fight the criminals fair?

Wow, the comments on here. The cop had his hands inside the car, violating his personal space. The cop could have backed off but escalated the situation. Looking at his eyes, he's obviously stoned or has a mental health crisis. I saw a guy afraid for his life and reached out to protect himself.

The officer could have backed off at several points.

Here is a video from a 2024 Springfield, IL shooting of a black woman who is either stoned or in a mental health crisis. The sheriff hired the officer without proper background check. He'd been in trouble for being aggressive in the past. He was also honorably discharged early from on unspecified incident.

The guy not following orders escalated the situation. You're an effing idiot.

It's not that we're endorsing people not complying with lawful commands from LEO's. It's that you want to enforce the law in the safest way possible. If the guy is gonna be a douche about it and try to flee/resist. Let him go and COME BACK with more people.

Cop is there all by himself. . . why get into it with a guy who wants to do that? Why take that risk? Pick him up later and bring 6 cops instead of just one.

If someone is showing they want to fight cops shouldn't pursue that fight alone if they can avoid it. If they want to fight come back and bring 5 other cops. Why fight the criminals fair?
I'm honestly confused with the way you're thinking is. In what way is the cop the problem in this. He pulled the guy over for a traffic violation of some sort. Why then does it become a cop problem that he didn't wait for six more to show up? Why does a simple traffic violation get to the point where guns are drawn? IT"S A TICKET for the love of God. Why does every encounter with law enforcement have to be a confrontation?

Reactions: Mufasa94
I'm honestly confused with the way you're thinking is. In what way is the cop the problem in this. He pulled the guy over for a traffic violation of some sort. Why then does it become a cop problem that he didn't wait for six more to show up? Why does a simple traffic violation get to the point where guns are drawn? IT"S A TICKET for the love of God. Why does every encounter with law enforcement have to be a confrontation?

I didn't say it was a cop problem. I said that I don't understand why he didn't just let him go and come back with more people.

Trying to force something 1 on 1 like that seems silly. You don't have to fight it out with him right now. He's not some terrorist who's gonna go blow up a million people if you don't bring him in right now. He's some idiot who thinks fighting with a cop and fleeing is going to give him a better result than simply taking the ticket.

The bigger problem is clearly the criminal which is why I'm suggesting picking him up with 6 cops instead of one cop.

If someone is going to be violent than get more people make sure you outnumber them when you arrest them.

You send 1 cop when you expect the person to comply. Vast majority of traffic stops comply and thus only need one cop. If someone shows you or makes clear they are not going to comply. . . then you go with more people. Bringing 6 people might change their minds about compliance and if it doesn't than you outnumber them 6 to 1.

Now under my legal view the cop was ok to fire once the perp started reaching for the gun. However if I'm gonna pull a gun on someone I want some distance. My gun is effective at 10 feet, their fists are not. And if he wants to just drive off than ok, call in an APB on his license plate or just wait for him to go home and meet him there with 6 cops.

Reactions: torbee
The guy not following orders escalated the situation. You're an effing idiot.
So people with mental issues or a white person when drunk should have guns drawn on them? You are the idiot. That cop was so out of line and trying to assert his position beyond what was needed. He should have calmed down the situation waiting for back up.

I would guess you have some emotional issues yourself.

Yeah, what could go wrong giving a criminal a chance to fight on his terms in his home.

A 27-year-veteran of the Iowa State Patrol was shot and killed by a man who had earlier assaulted a police officer, Iowa Department of Public Safety Commissioner Stephan Bayens said Saturday.

A Grundy Center Police officer attempted to pull over Lang, who is not allowed to drive, around 7:22 p.m. Friday, according to Mortvedt.

Lang got out of his vehicle and assaulted the officer, disarming him of his taser and radio before placing him in a chokehold, Mortvedt said during the news conference.

Another law enforcement officer came to the scene and told Lang to put his hands up, to which Lang responded, “Come get me,” before getting back into his vehicle and fleeing to his home.

Multiple law enforcement agencies then went to the home, along with Lang’s father, who told responding officers that his son had several firearms, Mortvedt said.

Smith was a part of an entry team which went into the home and was shot by Lang, according to Mortvedt.

I didn't say it was a cop problem. I said that I don't understand why he didn't just let him go and come back with more people.

Trying to force something 1 on 1 like that seems silly. You don't have to fight it out with him right now. He's not some terrorist who's gonna go blow up a million people if you don't bring him in right now. He's some idiot who thinks fighting with a cop and fleeing is going to give him a better result than simply taking the ticket.

The bigger problem is clearly the criminal which is why I'm suggesting picking him up with 6 cops instead of one cop.

If someone is going to be violent than get more people make sure you outnumber them when you arrest them.

You send 1 cop when you expect the person to comply. Vast majority of traffic stops comply and thus only need one cop. If someone shows you or makes clear they are not going to comply. . . then you go with more people. Bringing 6 people might change their minds about compliance and if it doesn't than you outnumber them 6 to 1.

Now under my legal view the cop was ok to fire once the perp started reaching for the gun. However if I'm gonna pull a gun on someone I want some distance. My gun is effective at 10 feet, their fists are not. And if he wants to just drive off than ok, call in an APB on his license plate or just wait for him to go home and meet him there with 6 cops.
Hindsite 20/20. A lot going on in a short amount of time to think every decision through.

Reactions: WSC72
Yeah, what could go wrong giving a criminal a chance to fight on his terms in his home.

A 27-year-veteran of the Iowa State Patrol was shot and killed by a man who had earlier assaulted a police officer, Iowa Department of Public Safety Commissioner Stephan Bayens said Saturday.

A Grundy Center Police officer attempted to pull over Lang, who is not allowed to drive, around 7:22 p.m. Friday, according to Mortvedt.

Lang got out of his vehicle and assaulted the officer, disarming him of his taser and radio before placing him in a chokehold, Mortvedt said during the news conference.

Another law enforcement officer came to the scene and told Lang to put his hands up, to which Lang responded, “Come get me,” before getting back into his vehicle and fleeing to his home.

Multiple law enforcement agencies then went to the home, along with Lang’s father, who told responding officers that his son had several firearms, Mortvedt said.

Smith was a part of an entry team which went into the home and was shot by Lang, according to Mortvedt.

And how many cops are killed in traffic stops because they encountered someone violent alone?

Seems to me that is the safer route.

Reactions: torbee and MitchLL

You can't see him reaching for a gun. You can see what happens when a child sees something scary. The driver wasn't in good shape mentally and the cop escalated the situation. That is not how cops are taught to deal with situations. He wasn't calm.

So again, do we escalate white difficult drunk drivers?

So people with mental issues or a white person when drunk should have guns drawn on them? You are the idiot. That cop was so out of line and trying to assert his position beyond what was needed. He should have calmed down the situation waiting for back up.

So "mental issue" is now a free pass to not follow orders? To answer your question, you effing piece of shit, idiot, people who don't follow repeated orders should absolutely have a taser drawn on them. He didn't draw a gun, he drew a taser.

Your line of thinking is so pathetic.

On a semi-related note, dropped the bowl
Of my water pipe into the water at our lake house in Illinois two weekends ago so had to smoke my first-ever swisher blunt.

Holy crap that is nasty on the lungs! I don’t know how these black dudes can smoke them all the time. My throat was sore the NEXT DAY. Never again, smh.
You didn't have any empty soda or beer cans?

You can't see him reaching for a gun. You can see what happens when a child sees something scary. The driver wasn't in good shape mentally and the cop escalated the situation. That is not how cops are taught to deal with situations. He wasn't calm.

Umm his hand extended out the window reaching for the cop's arm that he was holding the gun with. Cop had to pull his arm back to keep from getting at the gun. That's good enough for me.

I don't believe the cop escalated the situation. My only criticism is if the guy is going to resist let him go, pick him up later.

Hindsite 20/20. A lot going on in a short amount of time to think every decision through.

Fair but I would think that one would think about ahead of time what you are going to do if someone starts to resist unarmed from inside a vehicle.

To me at the very least you have to think training would tell him to back away from someone who's unarmed that he's been forced to pull a firearm on. From just a few feet away perp can't reach the gun or hit the cop, yet the cop can shoot him if needed.

Not blaming this on him, but pointing out that he had much better options available. The other thing is that if someone is losing his shit like that and goes into a fight or flight mode, I would much rather the perp choose flight than fight. For whatever reason the perp became emotional and emotional people make bad decisions and go into fight or flight. Give him every option to pick flight. . . you can pick him up later.

Reactions: MitchLL

Exactly. If cops had more patience, people like this guy and Ashli Babbitt would still be alive.

So "mental issue" is now a free pass to not follow orders? To answer your question, you effing piece of shit, idiot, people who don't follow repeated orders should absolutely have a taser drawn on them. He didn't draw a gun, he drew a taser.

Your line of thinking is so pathetic.

I double checked it and the only thing I see in the video is clearly a firearm not a taser.

Umm his hand extended out the window reaching for the cop's arm that he was holding the gun with. Cop had to pull his arm back to keep from getting at the gun. That's good enough for me.

I don't believe the cop escalated the situation. My only criticism is if the guy is going to resist let him go, pick him up later.

Fair but I would think that one would think about ahead of time what you are going to do if someone starts to resist unarmed from inside a vehicle.

To me at the very least you have to think training would tell him to back away from someone who's unarmed that he's been forced to pull a firearm on. From just a few feet away perp can't reach the gun or hit the cop, yet the cop can shoot him if needed.

Not blaming this on him, but pointing out that he had much better options available. The other thing is that if someone is losing his shit like that and goes into a fight or flight mode, I would much rather the perp choose flight than fight.
QB's train everyday and study film. Yet they still throw interceptions because they think something is going one way and it was the other or they think they can throw it someplace that they can't. It's easy for us to sit here and say he should've don this or that. When it's happening in real time, we have no idea what he was thinking. Was his mind thinking "am I going to get to see my family again" or "did I forget to turn off the oven this morning"?

Too many unknowns from the video itself.

Why was he being pulled over?
Why did the cop tell him to turn his car off?

Why did the cop hang on to the door of the car as the suspect drove away? They had his license and information. Would have been easy to seek a warrant and arrest him later for more significant charges.

The cop seemed a bit aggressive.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Yeah, that driver deserved to be shot.

Speed Racer was by far the LEAST favorite cartoon that I ever had the opportunity to watch with my kids when they were young. (I think that is your avatar)

You could hear the sirens of the backup officers on the way. He wasn’t gonna get very far.
Could have made it back into main traffic, caused an accident. I guess I will never understand the idea that resisting, being aggressive towards police, deserves leniency. I think at least fifty percent of police are decent people, the rest are indeed douches high on power. I still wouldn’t resist

So you want the mentally unstable driver to keep on driving?
Carolina I have no beef with you. But, do you want to execute on the spot unstable drivers? From the video it seems to me that the cop destabilized the situation and created a more messy situation. Never should he have entered the space of the driver.

That said, some of my HS classmates were soaping the windows of a deputy sheriff car, but the deputy was in the car. The ran down the block, jumped into their car and the deputy opened the door of a moving vehicle and tried to stop them. He stumbled and got dragged, injuring the deputy and his gun. When they stopped, the local cop stopped the deputy from shooting. Small town. They knew the driver. Anyone with any training in dealing with users/emotionally unstable public would have know/shoul have known to calm the situation down.

There is no law that says that cops can shoot when they feel unsafe. It's a risk. He should have backed off and tried to calm the guy.

Carolina I have no beef with you. But, do you want to execute on the spot unstable drivers? From the video it seems to me that the cop destabilized the situation and created a more messy situation. Never should he have entered the space of the driver.

That said, some of my HS classmates were soaping the windows of a deputy sheriff car, but the deputy was in the car. The ran down the block, jumped into their car and the deputy opened the door of a moving vehicle and tried to stop them. He stumbled and got dragged, injuring the deputy and his gun. When they stopped, the local cop stopped the deputy from shooting. Small town. They knew the driver. Anyone with any training in dealing with users/emotionally unstable public would have know/shoul have known to calm the situation down.

There is no law that says that cops can shoot when they feel unsafe. It's a risk. He should have backed off and tried to calm the guy.
Was he mentally unstable or just low iq and high

Could have made it back into main traffic, caused an accident. I guess I will never understand the idea that resisting, being aggressive towards police, deserves leniency. I think at least fifty percent of police are decent people, the rest are indeed douches high on power. I still wouldn’t resist
lol - I said I’m fine with the cop shooting him, hardly leniency.

The cop isn’t going to stop a moving automobile with his body regardless, so it was dumb to not let go.

Could have made it back into main traffic, caused an accident. I guess I will never understand the idea that resisting, being aggressive towards police, deserves leniency
No, not at all. He was dealing with an unstable person, that was obvious. As a Dem supporter, you certainly could recognize Joe doesn't always know what he is doing.

What about a female rape victim that has a cop put his hand on her? You are going to get a response. Happened at a BLM rally in my town. The organizer was upset when the cop chief changed the marching rules and he put his hand on her shoulder. WRONG thing to do and it escalated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT