ADVERTISEMENT

This cop should have shot sooner

Da Fuq? I’m just saying you make it sound like the guy had no control over his actions
PTSD, Drugs, Alcohol, low IQ. Cops are trained to deal with that. What looked to me was that there were 2 people with emotional issues meeting at the same time. One was armed with a car. The other with a gun and a badge. Fact is the cop should not be working with emotional issues.

I'm a bit personally invested in this. Had a lady cop come to my house over me politely and non-threatening questioning a Republican Iowa State Rep. Absolutely nothing illegal. I requested a FOIA and was denied. I promptly filed with the Iowa Human Rights Commission and got what I wanted. The Chief actually apologized to me and said the lady cop has some struggles with PTSD and he should have never had anyone come to my door, but especially her. She should not be wearing a badge.

Wow, the comments on here. The cop had his hands inside the car, violating his personal space. The cop could have backed off but escalated the situation. Looking at his eyes, he's obviously stoned or has a mental health crisis. I saw a guy afraid for his life and reached out to protect himself.

The officer could have backed off at several points.

Here is a video from a 2024 Springfield, IL shooting of a black woman who is either stoned or in a mental health crisis. The sheriff hired the officer without proper background check. He'd been in trouble for being aggressive in the past. He was also honorably discharged early from on unspecified incident.

Clueless AF

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Carolina I have no beef with you. But, do you want to execute on the spot unstable drivers? From the video it seems to me that the cop destabilized the situation and created a more messy situation. Never should he have entered the space of the driver.

That said, some of my HS classmates were soaping the windows of a deputy sheriff car, but the deputy was in the car. The ran down the block, jumped into their car and the deputy opened the door of a moving vehicle and tried to stop them. He stumbled and got dragged, injuring the deputy and his gun. When they stopped, the local cop stopped the deputy from shooting. Small town. They knew the driver. Anyone with any training in dealing with users/emotionally unstable public would have know/shoul have known to calm the situation down.

There is no law that says that cops can shoot when they feel unsafe. It's a risk. He should have backed off and tried to calm the guy.
No, don't execute them. But at least drag them out of the car and beat them with a baton.

Carolina I have no beef with you. But, do you want to execute on the spot unstable drivers? From the video it seems to me that the cop destabilized the situation and created a more messy situation. Never should he have entered the space of the driver.

That said, some of my HS classmates were soaping the windows of a deputy sheriff car, but the deputy was in the car. The ran down the block, jumped into their car and the deputy opened the door of a moving vehicle and tried to stop them. He stumbled and got dragged, injuring the deputy and his gun. When they stopped, the local cop stopped the deputy from shooting. Small town. They knew the driver. Anyone with any training in dealing with users/emotionally unstable public would have know/shoul have known to calm the situation down.

There is no law that says that cops can shoot when they feel unsafe. It's a risk. He should have backed off and tried to calm the guy.
I have no beef with you but I disagree with you. Around the 32 second mark the perp starts doing something strange with his hands which seems to escalate the situation. I cant tell exactly what he is doing but that is when things start to go down hill.

Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
You could hear the sirens of the backup officers on the way. He wasn’t gonna get very far.

Not sure about that. Davenport police have already been told not to pursue evading suspects for more minor infractions. So, we shouldn't be surprised when it leads to a ton of offenders not giving two shits about what LE officers ever say.

I didn't say it was a cop problem. I said that I don't understand why he didn't just let him go and come back with more people.

Trying to force something 1 on 1 like that seems silly. You don't have to fight it out with him right now. He's not some terrorist who's gonna go blow up a million people if you don't bring him in right now. He's some idiot who thinks fighting with a cop and fleeing is going to give him a better result than simply taking the ticket.

The bigger problem is clearly the criminal which is why I'm suggesting picking him up with 6 cops instead of one cop.

If someone is going to be violent than get more people make sure you outnumber them when you arrest them.

You send 1 cop when you expect the person to comply. Vast majority of traffic stops comply and thus only need one cop. If someone shows you or makes clear they are not going to comply. . . then you go with more people. Bringing 6 people might change their minds about compliance and if it doesn't than you outnumber them 6 to 1.

Now under my legal view the cop was ok to fire once the perp started reaching for the gun. However if I'm gonna pull a gun on someone I want some distance. My gun is effective at 10 feet, their fists are not. And if he wants to just drive off than ok, call in an APB on his license plate or just wait for him to go home and meet him there with 6 cops.
I can agree with what you say to a degree IMO.
Say he lets the guy go and wait at his house with 6 cops to apprehend him.
By the time he gets there the guy is over his high and it looks like the cops are ganging up on him.
Someone will be recording it for sure and others will say (what did he do wrong) he's sober/not high at the time.
If it escalates it will/could look like a George Floyd incident. Tough situation for the officers either way.
Looked like the guy should not have been driving anyway. Could have been a serious accident.

Last edited:
Not sure about that. Davenport police have already been told not to pursue evading suspects for more minor infractions. So, we shouldn't be surprised when it leads to a ton of offenders not giving two shits about what LE officers ever say.
It really puts police in a tough position. Without clear "break off" rules, you end up with accidents and lawsuits. With them, you sometimes let criminals get away.

Tough spot to be in.

My issue on this particular stop is more about the officer putting himself in unnecessary danger.

I can agree with what you say to a degree IMO.
Say he lets the guy go and wait at his house with 6 cops to apprehend him.
By the time he gets there the guy is over his high and it looks like the cops are ganging up on him.
Someone will be recording it for sure and others will say (what did he do wrong) he's sober/not high at the time.
If it escalates it will/could look like a George Floyd incident. Tough situation for the officers either way.
Looked like the guy should not have been driving anyway. Could have been a serious accident.

Nah you meet him there with 6 officers and if he wants to comply and come peacefully you can do that. You don't have to jump straight into beating him up.

If he wants to fight than he's gonna lose.

It's not that we're endorsing people not complying with lawful commands from LEO's. It's that you want to enforce the law in the safest way possible. If the guy is gonna be a douche about it and try to flee/resist. Let him go and COME BACK with more people.

Cop is there all by himself. . . why get into it with a guy who wants to do that? Why take that risk? Pick him up later and bring 6 cops instead of just one.

If someone is showing they want to fight cops shouldn't pursue that fight alone if they can avoid it. If they want to fight come back and bring 5 other cops. Why fight the criminals fair?
I agree... he should have called for back up sooner and waited for them before escalating things. Once he reached into the car like that I immediately thought he's going to get hurt or shoot the guy. As mentioned already... take a step or two back with gun drawn that way if he does take off you aren't getting run over. If he does take off you have his plates and with all the plate readers and comms police have they'd likely get him a few miles down the road.

My issue on this particular stop is more about the officer putting himself in unnecessary danger.

LOL

MipsBKK.png

It really puts police in a tough position. Without clear "break off" rules, you end up with accidents and lawsuits. With them, you sometimes let criminals get away.

Tough spot to be in.

I'll agree there. Hop off the damn running board & taze the guy or pursue him in your car. Going along for a 50 mile an hour ride from outside the car was dumb. Having said that, the driver should still be prosecuted for all the injuries the officer incurred.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT