ADVERTISEMENT

This defense is intriguing to me…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
They have moments where they just flat go to sleep. But as I look back at our schedule….

USU has scored a lot of points since they played us and just smoked Colorado St.

ISU, handled TCU easily. TCU being another team I said would fall off the map after their miracle season last year.

Western Michigan has a much better offense than our D made them look. At least in the 2nd half.

PU had 44 vs Illinois more points, yds and 1st downs vs Wiscy. And we locked them down, except 2 looonnggg quick easy drives….hard to fathom?

Why do you think that is. We are getting better in all phases but that drive at the end of the 2nd and late we’re strange?

Other things of note…our special teams has been wildly inconsistent for us. 2 missed FGs?!

Our offense blows, but where as last year, we pretty much had no moments, this year we do.

I’m no fan of BF, but what a shocking call on 3-1 with a struggling QB to throw into the End Zone like that…WOW..

I’m not arguing with the “happy fellas” anymore. Maybe if you more pleasant fans would like to weigh in. Well ignore the other chaps. It doesn’t need to “positive” but no, this sucks and that sucks and fire this guy shit…

It gets crazy old!

According to Kakert on the hawkeye of the storm after game call in show on youtube the d-line had a players only meeting, the shot gun formation and calls at Purdues 5 twice were strange and no qb sneak attempts their either.

Reactions: cmhawks99
According to Kakert on the hawkeye of the storm after game call in show on youtube the d-line had a players only meeting, the shot gun formation and calls at Purdues 5 twice were strange and no qb sneak attempts their either.

Yes…waiting to see a full replay, excited to see the defense, but the lack of sneaks is baffling to me. Are they afraid he’ll get hurt and we’ll be down to Labas?

The 3rd & 1 at the end & frankly, I’d have Qb sneaked twice at goal line. Last week I said it would help our O immensely and they didn’t do it. I do often times think they get to cute, or don’t want to use things for whatever reason I have no clue?

Reactions: Packer54
They have moments where they just flat go to sleep. But as I look back at our schedule….

Why do you think that is. We are getting better in all phases but that drive at the end of the 2nd and late we’re strange?
It gets crazy old!

Do you also remember the defense playing soft, deep coverage and off the receivers late in the ISU game. I think this is what happens is that PhilP and Kirk do not want a quick, bomb TD with a 2 score lead. They do not want the opponent to score at all but they are really afraid of giving up the bomb very quick score.

What you saw in the first half late score was the defense playing a little soft and then the same thing on the 2nd half purdue scoring drive. I think they are playing a little too soft and I dont think Phil wants to give a TD in only a minute or so either.

But the defense played very well yesterday and if the offense could get a closing first down or two late in the first and 2nd half yesterday the defense pitches a shutout as PU doesnt score those late Tds

I think the want the other team to burn clock while driving so they do play a bit softer. The one in the first half was a little bit of a lackluster attempt at a tackle. PP was pissed. Overall though it’s been a fairly stingy group. If they can keep the sacks coming they will be even more stingy.

Yes…waiting to see a full replay, excited to see the defense, but the lack of sneaks is baffling to me. Are they afraid he’ll get hurt and we’ll be down to Labas?

The 3rd & 1 at the end & frankly, I’d have Qb sneaked twice at goal line. Last week I said it would help our O immensely and they didn’t do it. I do often times think they get to cute, or don’t want to use things for whatever reason I have no clue?
The special teams also gave up a 53 yard punt return so not so special on the day.

I think there are probably many things for why the defense has looked the way it has. As someone pointed out above bend but don't break and not wanting to give up a quick score to the other team.

PP along with everyone else knows what he have on offense and getting the other team to burn as much time as possible shortens the game....but it also tires the defense. So that probably plays a factor as well.

I'm a statistics believer and the last 2 years Iowa has been horrible at TOP, 3rd downs per game, 3rd down success rate and 3rd down conversion per game. Iowa has only avg 3.5 3rd down conversions a game the last 2 years.

I know this year is different year (same offense so far) but that is alot of miles on the defensive 2 plus years in a row. I would think not only physically but especially mentally it would wear people down.

FYI......PU @ IA on BTN "Football in 60" @ 6:30 CST.
Enjoy the replay, cm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT