This dessert we had in Glasgow was The Bombe

Torg

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001

Best dessert we had on our trip to Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Reactions: lucas80
How was Glasgow?
I believe my bride and I are going Glasgow/Scotland (west) next May for some golf, scotch and leisure…I am thinking will will base a good part of our trip out of Glasgow area.
Loved Glasgow, and all of Scotland actually. We have been to much of Western Europe, and love all of it but I don’t think we have ever met as many pleasant, friendly people as we did in Scotland.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Loved Glasgow, and all of Scotland actually. We have been to much of Western Europe, and love all of it but I don’t think we have ever met as many pleasant, friendly people as we did in Scotland.
Agree, nicest people in Europe IMO.

Reactions: Torg
Did you pass through Peebles, Stobo, Stirling or Culloden? Those are where my great grandparents are all from.

Side note, when you see the movie Braveheart, they portray the battles of Falkirk, Bannockburn and Stirling Bridge... those are all within 15 miles of each other (Bannockburn is about a mile or two from Stirling).

Agreed, the Scottish were all very friendly both times I've been there.

I had a rough time understanding the accent in Glasgow. Edinburgh and other places weren't too difficult to understand but Glasgow was wild.

Did you pass through Peebles, Stobo, Stirling or Culloden? Those are where my great grandparents are all from.

Side note, when you see the movie Braveheart, they portray the battles of Falkirk, Bannockburn and Stirling Bridge... those are all within 15 miles of each other (Bannockburn is about a mile or two from Stirling).
Yeah, we went to the Culloden battle site. My no pic wife's great great great grandfather was from Aberlour on the river Spey. He lived and worked at Bennerinnes Distilery. She has many letters he sent to his son who ended up in the SF bay area.

Reactions: SSG T
Agree, nicest people in Europe IMO.
We would often stop folks on the street for directions and only once did were we not greeted warmly, and we soon realized he was not a local, or Scottish for that matter.
Once when we couldn't find a working bus stop to get back to the city center, we stopped a couple and they finally said, "would you feel comfortable if we were to drive you back to the center?" Delightful folks.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
it's tough to screw up dessert, but if Scottish cuisine ain't an oxymoron, I'm not really sure what is.

We would often stop folks on the street for directions and only once did were we not greeted warmly, and we soon realized he was not a local, or Scottish for that matter.
Once when we couldn't find a working bus stop to get back to the city center, we stopped a couple and they finally said, "would you feel comfortable if we were to drive you back to the center?" Delightful folks.
Had the same experience…

Was trying to find Edinburgh castle and asked an older gentleman for directions. He walked several blocks with us and gave a history lesson about the castle. 😃

They seem very proud of their heritage and are eager to share it…

Yeah, we went to the Culloden battle site. My no pic wife's great great great grandfather was from Aberlour on the river Spey. He lived and worked at Bennerinnes Distilery. She has many letters he sent to his son who ended up in the SF bay area.

Cool. My grandfather's (dad's dad) parents were from Culloden and his older brother was born in Inverness. His mom was pregnant with him when they went to Canada, which is where my grandfather was born.

It's funny seeing how many of the towns in Scotland are spelled, then you hear how they pronounce them and you're like "Wait, what? How do you say that?

Agreed, the Scottish were all very friendly both times I've been there.

I had a rough time understanding the accent in Glasgow. Edinburgh and other places weren't too difficult to understand but Glasgow was wild.

I never really had an issue with the accent, it's all the slang, and at times Scots, that gets mixed in. My grandma had a Glaswegian accent, but as my dad has always said "She spoke English-ish"

Mrs. Lucas and I are thinking about a trip to Scotland and Wales in 2 years. I've done some homework already by watching Secrets of Great British Castles on Netflix. Many fine castles in Scotland with some fairly gruesome history to visit.

I never really had an issue with the accent, it's all the slang, and at times Scots, that gets mixed in. My grandma had a Glaswegian accent, but as my dad has always said "She spoke English-ish"
I'm sure the slang is what really added to it. A lady in Edinburgh told me I would struggle understanding them. She mentioned that even though she's a born and raised Scot, when she watches something on TV from Glasgow that she has to turn on subtitles.

it's tough to screw up dessert, but if Scottish cuisine ain't an oxymoron, I'm not really sure what is.
I was planning to eat quite a bit of “Scottish” food. Shepherds pie, Steak and Ale Pie and even Haggis. I had a couple of Steak and Ale Pies, two great Shepherds Pies and one surprisingly good haggis. The two Shepherds pies were quite different. One in Edinburgh was fairly traditional but with sliced escalloped style potatoes 🥔 and excellent. The other one was very elegant and at The Ivy with the fabulous dessert. The Haggis was in Glasgow and with mushrooms and a cream whiskey sauce.

We have travelled all over France 🇫🇷 and in Italy, Spain, Portugal 🇵🇹, Germany, Denmark 🇩🇰, Norway 🇳🇴, and food is always an important part of our journey. We were pleasantly impressed with our Scottish food.

Reactions: Aardvark86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT