ADVERTISEMENT

This draft is proving 1 thing

It is totally fair to criticize KF for lack of skill position talent and lack of production on offense. Totally fair.

What's NOT fair is not giving him credit for anything else because the offense isn't any good. Heck, there are tons of current and former coaches that couldn't or can't produce excellence anywhere on the field!

It's getting so I might be willing to accept a lousy defense in exchange for a a good offense - just to change the script!
Don't we have that great ( offense ) bad ( Defense ) in basketball and we get the same crap over there. If If If only

It's been proven repeatedly over nearly a quarter century that Kirk's shitty offenses can cancel out ample nfl talent throughout the roster and ruin potentially special seasons. This draft after another 5 loss season is just the latest reminder

Yet KF is happy to do the same thing and hope for different results if it means first born can continue to make upper six figures. Shady shit. He has earned the criticism on O just like he's earned praise on D and ST. For some reason the hypersensitive sunshine club tunes out the latter of those though
You're quite the buzz kill. Many, many teams would love to have the record Ferentz has had.

the 2021 class are now true JR's and RSSO's, going off of last successes of previous classes as they became upper classmen. they got better.
2005 class was rated #11. as fr/rsfr they went 6-7 then the next season they went 6-6.

then in 2008 they went 9-4 then in 2009 they went 11-2 and finished #7. like it or not Iowa does not recruit at the level to make Iowa a consistant top 25 team. yet Iowa has just had their longest stretch of top 25 finishes ended at 4., the previous best was from 2002 thru 2004.

Reactions: SheepHumpingHawkeye
I think none, certainly no majors.
So you are saying Brad Banks, Heisman Runner Up, we offered with no real basis for the offer? So we kind of lucked out? I mean can't we just do that again? It seems some think it's just that easy. As you note, Brad didn't have offers from Bama or Georgia or Ohio State or even Iowa State. We sort of found a guy randomly and won the lottery.

So you are saying Brad Banks, Heisman Runner Up, we offered with no real basis for the offer? So we kind of lucked out? I mean can't we just do that again? It seems some think it's just that easy. As you note, Brad didn't have offers from Bama or Georgia or Ohio State or even Iowa State. We sort of found a guy randomly and won the lottery.
IIRC, the coaches went to watch another player and were more impressed by Banks. The basis for the offer was their own observations. Banks played WR as a RS-FR, so it isn't surprising that he was lightly recruited.

Last edited:
Yall so dumb...he producing what he can. Iowa can't recruit and develop skill positions as effective for multiple reasons, and KF is not so stubborn to not understand this like most of you clueless peeps.
They seem to recruit Defensive skill positions VERY WELL. So why not offense then?

KF has handcuffed the offense, whether you see it or not (which is shocking if you don't) and then doubles down with putting his son in charge of it and the QB's.

Peeps that are Iowa fans understand this.

You omitted OL. We have had two first rounders in four years.
Maybe this will help.

I don't understand why we don't use our TEs more creatively. Fant is a perfect expample. Fast atheltic. Split him out wide as a WR to get him on the field. Height and weight advantage over a DB. We can't get talented WRs,Use our TEs to our advantage. Plus they are better blockers over their smaller defenders.
Of all the things wrong with iowa football, you think how we use our tight ends is one of them? Lol

Yep, that's my plan.

the 2021 class are now true JR's and RSSO's, going off of last successes of previous classes as they became upper classmen. they got better.
2005 class was rated #11. as fr/rsfr they went 6-7 then the next season they went 6-6.

then in 2008 they went 9-4 then in 2009 they went 11-2 and finished #7. like it or not Iowa does not recruit at the level to make Iowa a consistant top 25 team. yet Iowa has just had their longest stretch of top 25 finishes ended at 4., the previous best was from 2002 thru 2004.
That's why this unlimited free agency (portal) and no salary cap (NIL) will destroy schools that cannot recruit like a BB, as indeed within a few years there won't be anyone left but BBs and they will simply be another football product to be marketed based on TV schedules. That will kill the hell out of fall baseball, so there's that silver lining.

Of all the things wrong with iowa football, you think how we use our tight ends is one of them? Lol
When our WRs suck and TE is a position of strength, They are underutilized. Find ways to get them on the field. Use them as WRs.

When our WRs suck and TE is a position of strength, They are underutilized. Find ways to get them on the field. Use them as WRs.
I think that is the actual plan. We've all heard a lot about the two TE sets with Lachey flanked out as a wide receiver in spring practice. DBs might be faster but they won't out jump him or get around him, just too big for DBs and enough speed to get downfield.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Being no one uses the TE a well as iowa, I think you should look to other issues. Possibly you should look to how many TEs iowa has put in the NFL since 2000. Surely you meant to say, TE is the one thing iowa does great.

I think that is the actual plan. We've all heard a lot about the two TE sets with Lachey flanked out as a wide receiver in spring practice. DBs might be faster but they won't out jump him or get around him, just too big for DBs and enough speed to get downfield.
Fant, Hock and others have proven that TEs with even adequate speed are a match-up nightmare.

Stanzi only had 3offers
Iowa
Miami of Ohio
Purdue
and turned out just fine.

its not always about the rankings or who offers that makes the player. its more about who surrounds him on the field.

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Stanzi only had 3offers
Iowa
Miami of Ohio
Purdue
and turned out just fine.

its not always about the rankings or who offers that makes the player. its more about who surrounds him on the field.

Not always about the rankings??
No one on this site posts more about their recruiting rankings or stars than you do.

Not always about the rankings??
No one on this site posts more about their recruiting rankings or stars than you do.
individually NOT ALWAYS/ to bad you cherry pick what you want to argue about.
Lindebaum was just a 5.6 3* and look at how he turned and he was US Army AA that was the last year that the US Army sponsored that game. so much for the ranking concerning Iowa recruits. even the BB recruits take it in the nuts when it comes to the rankings.

very rarely does any of Fran's recruits get that 4th * but when they do they are pretty
good.

• Haha
Iowa players on defense and TE are very valuable to certain types of coaches in the NFL. If we need any more proof that our defense is a legit top 3 in the nation, year in and out, and Ferentz (you pick which one I think both) is wasting it with the worst offense in college football. Even when it supposedly works it is a 50th ranked unit. If we want to see what Iowa could be with a legitimate offense, look at Alabama.
Hawk D with teams vs an offensive pulse is embarrassing.

• Haha
I don't understand why we don't use our TEs more creatively. Fant is a perfect expample. Fast atheltic. Split him out wide as a WR to get him on the field. Height and weight advantage over a DB. We can't get talented WRs,Use our TEs to our advantage. Plus they are better blockers over their smaller defenders.
Fant is a perfet xample of what? a player that ends up a 3rd Team AA and a 1st rnd choice. please explain to a simple fan on how Fant was used.

also Hockenson was the Mackey award winner and a 1st rnd pick. neither were poorly utilized.

• Haha
Fant is a perfet xample of what? a player that ends up a 3rd Team AA and a 1st rnd choice. please explain to a simple fan on how Fant was used.

also Hockenson was the Mackey award winner and a 1st rnd pick. neither were poorly utilized.
There were a few games of the season that Fant barely played. His brother went off about on Twitter. Northwestern beat us that year with a decimated secondary. Our WRs sucked. Fant should have bee on the field split out as a WR. Glad Fant got 1st round despite how he was used that year.

There were a few games of the season that Fant barely played. His brother went off about on Twitter. Northwestern beat us that year with a decimated secondary. Our WRs sucked. Fant should have bee on the field split out as a WR. Glad Fant got 1st round despite how he was used that year.
how many catch did he need to get? or is it that Hock was a 1st Team AA and Macky Award Winner and Fant wasn't?

The infamous “Max Cooper fade” on 3rd down in the end zone.
Hard to find fault with anything the Iowa staff does with TEs (especially lately), but after Fant’s brothers meltdown on twitter I did notice he was not on the field for many 3rd downs that year. Odd to say the least.

What was more puzzling was reading BF’s effusive praise of his blocking/toughness a few months later. One would think that would be a common excuse why a 6’5 freak athlete would not be used more in passing situations.

Yall so dumb...he producing what he can. Iowa can't recruit and develop skill positions as effective for multiple reasons, and KF is not so stubborn to not understand this like most of you clueless peeps.
So, other then the fact that Jeff Brohm was going to throw the ball all over the field, what draw is there at Purdue for great skill position people? If Kirk had a real offense that actually utilized his skill position people effectively, then Kirk would not be in the position he is in. I guarantee you that if Kirk retired today, and Bob Stoops was named the new Iowa head coach tomorrow, "Y'all Peeps" would be seeing a different breed of talent at the offensive skill positions. ;)

Reactions: littlez and DewHawk
So, other then the fact that Jeff Brohm was going to throw the ball all over the field, what draw is there at Purdue for great skill position people? If Kirk had a real offense that actually utilized his skill position people effectively, then Kirk would not be in the position he is in. I guarantee you that if Kirk retired today, and Bob Stoops was named the new Iowa head coach tomorrow, "Y'all Peeps" would be seeing a different breed of talent at the offensive skill positions. ;)
in your wildest dreams

• Haha
Reactions: scotthawk1964
Clark was a walk on, Iowa just had 4 straight years of finishing in the top 25, yuppers IA has really been in a real shit hole when it comes to winning.
BF since he took over
8 win season
9 win swason
10 win season
6-2 covid year
10 BT West championhip season
8 win season
51 win and 4 straight top 25 ranking breaking the previous streak of 3. congratulations you have now put the Nebraska fans to shame.
Steroid are a good thing

As I posted elsewhere the only more successful six season that the .720 in the last six seasons are Hayden's 82-87 run at .740.

Winning is the thing that matters. We've done more of it, and a better rate during BF era than anytime in the last 36 years. This nonsense is about BF arises from greed for more rather than gratitude for what one has.

The offense is the weakness, but obsessing over it is crazy in the big picture. I don't care how they score only that they score more. We know the replacement of Petras is going to be good for 100 yards a game just from fewer missed throws or missed open receivers. McNamara is obviously more mobile so he'll lose fewer yards on sacks.

There are reasons to be optimistic about the season. I foresee 10-2/9-3 regular season Division title and a bowl win. Optimistic about the offense scoring twice the points as last year. We're due for some breaks in the injury front as well.

Remember that last losing season, ten years ago. Two seasons later we started 12-0. Last year's team was closer to ten wins than six. With the worst offense we've put on the field still just 2 single scores against the Clowns and Cheatin' Illini, from going 9-3 and winning the division again. Have to think the coming offense is at least those two TDs better.
The easy schedule keeps KF from going 4-8 every year. It’s a crappy boring half assed program.

Have you not been watching Iowa football? Fast had several TD split out wide or deep. OSU and Nebraska come to mind immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT