ADVERTISEMENT

This is why I want fewer bowls

Could not agree more. This current 4 team playoff with basically the same three or four teams every year is not good for college football. At least 8 teams would get the conf champs an auto bid. 16 teams and you could give the top four teams a bye the first week as a reward. Either way its time to progress this playoff to something more meaningful unless your name is Alabama, Clemson, OSU, or Oklahoma.....

16 team playoff with a bye to the top four teams. That’s an interesting bracket.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I’ll never understand calling for fewer bowls. If you want fewer bowls, watch fewer bowls. You have no financial commitment to any extra bowl games, nor are you forced to watch them. I love bowl season and will take any extra games we can get. If the game is a blow out or uninteresting, I change the channel or find something else to do.

This is so simple. A 24 team playoff based off of the end of year rankings and a CFP selection committee similar to the NCAA men’s bball tournament. Top eight receive a bye.

Start the playoff a week after Thanksgiving. Rounds 1 and 2 could be played on the higher seeds campus or you could incorporate some of the lower bowls and play them there on a rotating basis. There would be 16 games played in rounds 1 and 2.

Once you get down to the elite 8 (round three), there will be 7 games left. You already have the New Years 6, add one more bowl game (ie Citrus Bowl) and play rounds 3, 4, and 5 at one of those bowl games which will rotate each year.

Any school that doesn’t make the top 24 playoff can play in one of the other 20 or so bowls that are not included in the playoff. Or your school may choose to opt out of the bowl season. Seems way too easy, I guess. For example, Iowa could host Miami (FL) at Kinnick and the winner takes on Clemson. Or they could play Miami in the Music City Bowl, with the winner taking on Clemson in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl or Myrtle Beach Bowl. Where a committee would come in handy would be with seeding and bowl locations for the higher seed.

24-Team-Single-Seeded.gif

Florida was a joke tonight and not because they were routed. It's because this bowl game meant so little to players that they didn't even play the game. They messed with 3 different QBs. The WRs that were in couldn't catch a pass from any of the 3 QBs anyways.

To an Iowa fan who didn't get to watch their team play due to COVID, I was frustrated.

It's obviously not just Florida but many others as well. I really do love bowl season but not diluted crap which mostly comes from P5 conference teams that "don't want to be there."

I fully realize that none of these things will matter due to money and this is only my opinion (which I'm sure will be shredded):
1. Expand playoffs to 8 or more.
2. P5 teams must win 8 games in a P5 conference to qualify OR improve your record by 3 wins from the previous year still having a minimum of 7 wins.
3- All other teams can qualify with 6 wins but can't play a P5 unless they are in the top 20.

Done rambling and venting about teams not caring :)

What I REALLY don't get about this year's opt-outs--any/all team(s)--is this year there was such a short window. I get it if you finish Thanksgiving weekend, and you're a P5 team playing Nowhere State in the Ask-A-Lawyer.Com Bowl in Jerkwater, USA. But most of these guys had an approximate 10-day window. Really, a guy can't finish with his teammates and give them the effort they presumably gave him during the season?

I get it with ISM--he was probably not going to be cleared to play--but guys that are able to suit up? It's basically an extra week and a half!

I say scrap non-conference play and use those three weeks to start conference play earlier and expand to either a 32 team playoff, a 28 team playoff where the 1-seeds get a first round bye, or a 24 team playoff where the top two seeds in each region get a first round bye. Then if other teams want to continue to play their meaningless exhibitions they can

Regardless, that gives us five additional weeks of MEANINGFUL football versus these games where some players opt out or don’t look like they care

Why do some of you always bring ESPN into this? The bowls have been diminished because they don’t mean anything anymore. Totally agree with the OP. This isn’t a COVID thing either. More and more players are going to keep opting out. ESPN was the one stuck having to air that dog crap game. Bowl system needs totally blown up. 1 preseason game, 9 game conference schedule and 16 team playoff. If D2 can do it there’s no reason we can’t. It would be a blast.

Frankly, the B1G Championship Week was a great idea. Work on it a little bit, and you could see a 1/9 type season. Then the week after CCGs, have a 32-team bowl weekend for non-playoff teams. Keeps players there the extra week, then gives non-playoff teams/players the holidays with family. Finish games the week BEFORE Thanksgiving, have CCG games Thanksgiving weekend, have non-playoff games the weekend after, then start playoffs the week after that. That's 48 teams that have "postseason" bowl or playoff. That is plenty.

Will there be 7/8/9-win teams that get "shut out". Probably. Big deal. Anyone old enough remembers when, until 1975 season, B1G only allowed one conference member to go to a bowl.

Unpopular take:

ive said Iowa should treatany bowl that’s not a top tier bowl(really anyone) like a springboard for the next season.

play the players whom you’ll need next year at least in heavy rotation to get live game experience.

these players have earned that time by practicing all year and off season and a nice reward/look at

last year SP could have played against USC and gotten the experience needed to help with this year. Nobody remembers these games, you play to win but you build for the future.

All, I repeat all players that hope and have NFL futures should always skip the bowl if not playing for championship.

Why risk it and that extra time off to train and heal from a long season I would think would pay dividends towards making the league and money.

let’s hear the but but but we want that banner and play all the games. These the same people who support KF playing the starters up 30 in the forth till 4 mins left then handing the ball off to the running back w a QB who needs to work through reads and live game action.
Bowl games are a reward to the players that played that season. Not some audition for a player that could hit the transfer portal after the game in the coming 3-4 months. Let next years spring practice decide who you need when they earn it.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Man, grow the **** up. If you don't like more football, don't watch. Don't try to reduce the games that other fans want to watch.

Also, all you dipshits are really fast to throw around "they didn't want to play" for EVERY outcome you don't like. Covid cancellation, etc.
FIFY

Don't try to reduce the games that other fans want to watch and players are excited to attend and play in.

NOBODY gives a shit except a few fans here. Didn’t mean shit to recruits. Look we blew out USC in a game few watched or cared about. Only people who watched were Iowa fans as USC fans don’t give a shit about the Holiday bowl lol.

USC fans give a funk less and few if any gave a funk about Iowa or the game.

Still waiting on someone to explain to me how not playing players you’ll need going forward in a bowl game is detrimental to Iowa’s overall Heath and growth as a development program and how game reps shouldn’t be given to players they will need next year.

O sorry the Holiday bowl was how we locked in all those studs in Iowa this year.

Playing backups/players that will be needed to start the next year SHOULD absolutely be Iowa’s intention going forward as it’s in the best interest of IOWA!

NS got his run/time in spades all year, playing in aMEANINGLESS bowl game didn’t do shit for Iowa except have to sit through losing first twogames while SP went through live game situations for the first time.

I’m sure him playing and getting time in bowl game would’ve been terrible for the first couple/all games this year.

But you keep flying the holiday bowl flag. If (who knows) SP got PT in bowl and meaningful reps at all before NW/Purdue maybe we win those games and we playing for it all though.

KF/staff got those nice bonus last year though and NS deserved 99% of meaningful
Snaps and the bowl game because he hadn’t had that the previous year. GTFO here, you wrong and this is why Iowa cannot have nice things.

Someone said above, bowls mean NOTHING almost now if not in playoff or Super 6 (even those don’t mean shit)

If going draft don’t play and prepare for future employment. If Senior and this is the end/no pro future you concede to the guy potentially replacing you to get reps for the BETTERMENT AND FUTURE OF IOWA FOOTBALL.

If you lose the game so be it but you PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

What does Iowa owe thes players that they showcased and get all reps in game the whole season?

I’m waiting for any reason other then.....but but it’s the Music City Bowl and such a great recruiting tool to show some shit trophy in the football hall that you had zero part in.

I would think saying we will play the backups and players that practiced hard and worked hard all year. That is the reward for all the practice put in all year and you get to see how perform with lights on.

That to me sells staying/invested/why you work on in offseason and gives young recruits looking to get on the field to say if I do what I’m supposed to I’ll get a chance early to show what I can do in live game situations.

You keep rocking the Holiday bowl T. You probably the guy who started the does Iowa get the Music City Bowl trophy as well because Iowa was ready to play so they earned it crew

Can't say I agree with ya.

What were we ranked headed into that game? 20th? Somewhere in there. I believe USC was 23rd? You win you move up to 16th, you lose you're out of the final rankings. That means something to the future of your program as well as to the men who put in 3-5 years of work to get to that bowl game.

Maybe it didn't mean much to you, but I can assure you it did to Tristan Wirfs, A.J Epenesa, Nate Stanley, Michael Ojemudia and the rest of the guys who played their last game as a Hawkeye.

Perhaps I'm old school but those bowl wins matter, final rankings matter and those kids deserve to celebrate their careers on the field, not the sideline watching a r.s freshman who hasn't seen many snaps all year determining the outcome of their final time in black and gold.

You lose bowl games and finished unranked you don't hear the end of it, see 2011-2016. Bowl games sure mattered then and they still do now.

NOBODY gives a shit except a few fans here. Didn’t mean shit to recruits. Look we blew out USC in a game few watched or cared about. Only people who watched were Iowa fans as USC fans don’t give a shit about the Holiday bowl lol.

USC fans give a funk less and few if any gave a funk about Iowa or the game.

Still waiting on someone to explain to me how not playing players you’ll need going forward in a bowl game is detrimental to Iowa’s overall Heath and growth as a development program and how game reps shouldn’t be given to players they will need next year.

O sorry the Holiday bowl was how we locked in all those studs in Iowa this year.

Playing backups/players that will be needed to start the next year SHOULD absolutely be Iowa’s intention going forward as it’s in the best interest of IOWA!

NS got his run/time in spades all year, playing in aMEANINGLESS bowl game didn’t do shit for Iowa except have to sit through losing first twogames while SP went through live game situations for the first time.

I’m sure him playing and getting time in bowl game would’ve been terrible for the first couple/all games this year.

But you keep flying the holiday bowl flag. If (who knows) SP got PT in bowl and meaningful reps at all before NW/Purdue maybe we win those games and we playing for it all though.

KF/staff got those nice bonus last year though and NS deserved 99% of meaningful
Snaps and the bowl game because he hadn’t had that the previous year. GTFO here, you wrong and this is why Iowa cannot have nice things.

Someone said above, bowls mean NOTHING almost now if not in playoff or Super 6 (even those don’t mean shit)

If going draft don’t play and prepare for future employment. If Senior and this is the end/no pro future you concede to the guy potentially replacing you to get reps for the BETTERMENT AND FUTURE OF IOWA FOOTBALL.

If you lose the game so be it but you PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

What does Iowa owe thes players that they showcased and get all reps in game the whole season?

I’m waiting for any reason other then.....but but it’s the Music City Bowl and such a great recruiting tool to show some shit trophy in the football hall that you had zero part in.

I would think saying we will play the backups and players that practiced hard and worked hard all year. That is the reward for all the practice put in all year and you get to see how perform with lights on.

That to me sells staying/invested/why you work on in offseason and gives young recruits looking to get on the field to say if I do what I’m supposed to I’ll get a chance early to show what I can do in live game situations.

You keep rocking the Holiday bowl T. You probably the guy who started the does Iowa get the Music City Bowl trophy as well because Iowa was ready to play so they earned it crew
My God get triggered when fans trash your opinions. I know, I know, only you know what's best for college football or GTFO.

Reactions: Smokinthereiff
I say scrap non-conference play and use those three weeks to start conference play earlier and expand to either a 32 team playoff, a 28 team playoff where the 1-seeds get a first round bye, or a 24 team playoff where the top two seeds in each region get a first round bye. Then if other teams want to continue to play their meaningless exhibitions they can

Regardless, that gives us five additional weeks of MEANINGFUL football versus these games where some players opt out or don’t look like they care

Well the rationale used to be you had to have seven home games or the earth would stop spinning. In COVID world, that is no longer the case.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
This is so simple. A 24 team playoff based off of the end of year rankings and a CFP selection committee similar to the NCAA men’s bball tournament. Top eight receive a bye.

Start the playoff a week after Thanksgiving. Rounds 1 and 2 could be played on the higher seeds campus or you could incorporate some of the lower bowls and play them there on a rotating basis. There would be 16 games played in rounds 1 and 2.

Once you get down to the elite 8 (round three), there will be 7 games left. You already have the New Years 6, add one more bowl game (ie Citrus Bowl) and play rounds 3, 4, and 5 at one of those bowl games which will rotate each year.

Any school that doesn’t make the top 24 playoff can play in one of the other 20 or so bowls that are not included in the playoff. Or your school may choose to opt out of the bowl season. Seems way too easy, I guess. For example, Iowa could host Miami (FL) at Kinnick and the winner takes on Clemson. Or they could play Miami in the Music City Bowl, with the winner taking on Clemson in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl or Myrtle Beach Bowl. Where a committee would come in handy would be with seeding and bowl locations for the higher seed.

24-Team-Single-Seeded.gif
Agree, I would love to see those SEC teams come up north and play in cold weather. Let’s see how well they hit and they play when speed isn’t there only advantage on turf. The bowl system is completely swung in the favor of the south eastern conference in the ACC. It’s not even close. The big 10 teams have to recruit and do things differently because of weather and the elements southern teams do not.

I simply do not get how glorified consolation games meant more without the four team playoff. The stakes of these games are the same as they have always been. Those stakes simply are not good enough anymore.

The current system has definitely taken the Rose off of what used to be a GREAT day of College Football to look forward to and to watch it all play out on New Years Day. It sucks for that reason alone.

Florida was a joke tonight and not because they were routed. It's because this bowl game meant so little to players that they didn't even play the game. They messed with 3 different QBs. The WRs that were in couldn't catch a pass from any of the 3 QBs anyways.

To an Iowa fan who didn't get to watch their team play due to COVID, I was frustrated.

It's obviously not just Florida but many others as well. I really do love bowl season but not diluted crap which mostly comes from P5 conference teams that "don't want to be there."

I fully realize that none of these things will matter due to money and this is only my opinion (which I'm sure will be shredded):
2. P5 teams must win 8 games in a P5 conference to qualify OR improve your record by 3 wins from the previous year still having a minimum of 7 wins.
3- All other teams can qualify with 6 wins but can't play a P5 unless they are in the top 20.

Oklahoma was down players as well and put 55 points on them and came to play. Florida obviously did not belong in a NY6 bowl.

Reactions: 99etanytsan
Agreed. Bowl games have always existed simply for the bowl game and/or community to make money. They were never "a reward for a good season" or whatever people have fantasized up in their heads.

They are financial enterprises. If you don't want to partake in their product, you don't have to.

CFB teams have only ~13 games per season. I prefer to maximize that number.

Reactions: littlez
I bet players and teams would play if they were paid. There’s no incentive to play a bowl game, they won’t improve draft stock and can only serve to get a player injured before he can enter the draft

Ya know, if the bowls and the NCAA/conferences wanted to really be Dickson about it, they could just treat bowl games like filing for a medical redshirt.

There would need to be an actual physical reason why the players can't play the game (other than fear of injury) otherwise, if even one player decides to opt out to pursue the NFL then they must forfeit the game, and depending on the number of players choosing to opt out, could even be subject to losing their bowl bid and it being given to another team that wants to be there (obviously this can be weaseled around by the players only opting out days before or even the day of....that part of the rule would be for teams with players opting out shortly after the bowls are announced.)

I say do it. Force the slavery and risk of injury of playing in a college bowl game upon them!!!

I bet players and teams would play if they were paid. There’s no incentive to play a bowl game, they won’t improve draft stock and can only serve to get a player injured before he can enter the draft
I know this is a complete waste of typing, but gonna do it anyway.........

You do realize the large majority of College Football players will not be getting drafted right? So maybe they want to play just because they like playing? Nah, that could never be .........LOL!

It isn't about money for every single person who participates in Sports, DI or otherwise. Shocking I know, but just thought you might not have heard the news.

I think expanding the playoffs delays the inevitable by a few rounds. Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to them expanding. However, I feel there has to be a formula that determines both the qualifiers and their seeding. Otherwise, there's going to be further disputes about where a team ended up getting seeded. I'd like to see a more plain and simple way of determining that.

Reactions: DTP2
I know this is a complete waste of typing, but gonna do it anyway.........

You do realize the large majority of College Football players will not be getting drafted right? So maybe they want to play just because they like playing? Nah, that could never be .........LOL!

It isn't about money for every single person who participates in Sports, DI or otherwise. Shocking I know, but just thought you might not have heard the news.

Unfortunately the guys choosing not to play are the difference makers. Iowa would not have been the same team without ISM, Smith, Tracy, and LaPorta. That is equivalent to what Florida was missing vs OSU. And that is just on offense. Florida was foolish to play that game.

Unfortunately the guys choosing not to play are the difference makers. Iowa would not have been the same team without ISM, Smith, Tracy, and LaPorta. That is equivalent to what Florida was missing vs OSU. And that is just on offense. Florida was foolish to play that game.
Why, because they lost a Bowl Game? Seriously, this isn't life and death stuff, and it sure as hell isn't about the ones that "opt out" - f them. These are kids playing Sports, which believe it or not is fun for the large majority, win or lose.

I think some of you are vastly overestimating how much some of these guys like taking contact for your entertainment. I see a lot of romanticized statements that this is a team reward, they should play for eachother, etc. The truth is that anybody with talent is on the field in order to get paid. Once they get paid, the goal is to grade out well every game so they can get paid more. This isn’t high school football where you stand around and sing the fight song after the game and your coach tells you that you won because of teamwork

Reactions: millah_22
Why, because they lost a Bowl Game? Seriously, this isn't life and death stuff, and it sure as hell isn't about the ones that "opt out" - f them. These are kids playing Sports, which believe it or not is fun for the large majority, win or lose.

They didn't just lose a bowl game. They looked pathetic. It is about pride and reputation and they took a giant hit on both.

Here is the last thing I have to say on the topic. In the future, I will pay attention to how many opt-outs there are in any bowl game. I will not watch any game where there are a multitude of them because the quality of play is subpar. I don't expect everyone will agree with that but I am sure a lot of people do. The existing bowl system is about to go the way of the dinosaurs.

They didn't just lose a bowl game. They looked pathetic. It is about pride and reputation and they took a giant hit on both.
Sure, that's all Sports are, Pride and Reputation. LOL!

I'm starting to think the majority of this board has never been on a Football Field, Basketball Court, Baseball Field, Wrestling Mat, etc. anything that has to do with Athletics, because these "hot takes" are so far away from reality there is no way in hell they ever participated.

Reactions: millah_22
Sure, that's all Sports are, Pride and Reputation. LOL!

I'm starting to think the majority of this board has never been on a Football Field, Basketball Court, Baseball Field, Wrestling Mat, etc. anything that has to do with Athletics, because these "hot takes" are so far away from reality there is no way in hell they ever participated.

Played and coached. A lot of accomplished coaches and players agreed with my position on this topic this year.

I think some of you are vastly overestimating how much some of these guys like taking contact for your entertainment. I see a lot of romanticized statements that this is a team reward, they should play for eachother, etc. The truth is that anybody with talent is on the field in order to get paid. Once they get paid, the goal is to grade out well every game so they can get paid more. This isn’t high school football where you stand around and sing the fight song after the game and your coach tells you that you won because of teamwork
Not one single Athlete on the planet is playing a GAME for you or your entertainment, paid or otherwise.

That's a byproduct of participating in Sports, if people choose to watch great, but if the stands are empty the game still goes on, because MOST IF NOT ALL of those participants enjoy playing. Period.

That's why there are no Sports called "Getting run into by Trains", because it isn't fun. But Football is Fun, whether you're the hitter or the hitee. Line up again and the next play those roles can be reversed. Fun. If you can't handle it, don't sign up. Very simple.

And the vast majority of those "combatants", are going to be Farming, selling you a car, or some other Proffesional endeavor that has nothing to do with Sports when their playing days are over. Then they'll do something called recreational Sports, just for the hell of it, and their own personal enjoyment, just like always crowds or no crowds.

That's your Real World lesson for today.

Greyhair, not sure I understand you here. First of all, who’s remembering any of these games 5 years from now? I’ll actually give Florida credit for playing. They honestly could ( and should ) have said we don’t have enough healthy players and thrown in the towel on 2020. Instead they played and people want to trash them. How do you think Iowa would have done in the same situation? Guessing not well.

Why not give the QB plenty of run? KF let NS run till the last whistle and no run for the backup. How does this help Iowa going forward? NS was rewarded for the season by playing 99.8% of snaps, Iowa owed him nothing for a bowl game that lets he real didn’t/doesn’t mean shit.

How is it not in Iowa Footballs best interest to play guys they will need MAJOR contributions the next year? What benifit did it provide anyone but coaches bonus to run the starters all year?

Why do the backups (2/3rd team) not need game time in a game that you play to win butWTF is the Holiday bowlin terms of needing to play seniors and draft guys that you need to replace next year??

If someone is gone next year whether draft or graduating you play the backups/guys whom you’d like to see in real game actionAT LEAST HALF the game if not full. You still play to win the game and you build for the future with meaning Snaps and game tape/action.

How did NS playing all the bowl help Iowa’s situation this year? Why did Iowa “owe” him all the reps? Why do the backups whom practice just as much/hard not be rewarded time in a game that doesn’t mean shit?

No one is saying quit/concede. Saying would’ve been nice to get reps for backups on OL,DL, LB, DB, QB last year to springboard off-season and beginning of this year when SP was awful (that was all year pretty much but you get the drift, well maybe you don’t but most should)
Iowa started this year 0-2, essentially eliminated from conf championship at that point. Using your logic, Iowa should have benched all seniors and let underclassmen play to get experience since the remaining games were like regular bowl games- inconsequential.

OU would’ve taken them apart anyway. Florida was so overrated

Played and coached. A lot of accomplished coaches and players agreed with my position on this topic this year.
Sure they did. LOL!

I guess all you "accomplished" types have never played on a bad Team before, made up of your Friends and neighbors who just aren't that good but are willing to show up and do the best they can because they Love doing it, and in some cases had to be coerced to come out just so you could field a Team. Do those people have no Pride?

Not everyone gets to be on an All-Star team throughout life. You strap it on and go with what you got when the opportunity is there to do it. If Pride and Reputation is your main concern, then Sports probably isn't the venue for you, cause most will experience far more failure than success, but they keep coming back for more until they can't physically do it anymore. Wonder why that is? Hmmmm....could it be that they enjoy playing more than they do the outcome? Yep.

I think ESPN is starting to see the writing on the wall when it comes to bowl games. They're creating new ones nearly every 2 to 3 years, but most of them are being created for Group of 5 teams. Those teams have much fewer opt-outs and I think that's where the bowl system will be heading. The next bowl cycle and the ending of the current CFP set up about 4 to 5 years now will start to reflect that.

Eventually, the playoffs will be expanded which will have some G5 teams in it, but the majority will be the Power 5 teams to prevent players from those teams from opting-out. There will still be bowl games for the P5 teams that didn't qualify for the playoffs. But again, much like the G5 teams, those schools won't have has as many players opting out either.

If none of that happens, I can see ESPN lobbying the NCAA to pressure them to come up with something to prevent players from opting-out, or institute a deadline date for players to make that decision.

Last edited:
And NFL ratings are in the shitter this year. Why? What competition have they had? There are between 0-20,000 fans in any stadium during the week. The fans who would normally be in the stadium should conceivably be in front of a TV set yet ratings are down. What gives?

Edit-NFL ratings are down an average of 2 million viewers per week through week 15 of the season. Is that significant enough?
Politics has a lot to do with it. I know several people who say they’re done with the NFL because of the protests, et al.

I hope those idiots stay away forever. Don’t want to watch the best players in the world (and also probably 75% minority) play because they feel differently about the world than you do as just a fan, then don’t watch. They won’t miss you. And spare me that we or they pay their salaries.

Greyhair, not sure I understand you here. First of all, who’s remembering any of these games 5 years from now? I’ll actually give Florida credit for playing. They honestly could ( and should ) have said we don’t have enough healthy players and thrown in the towel on 2020. Instead they played and people want to trash them. How do you think Iowa would have done in the same situation? Guessing not well.

Iowa would have gotten desteoyed in the same situation just like Florida did. I have no interest in watching a team of freshmen play a team of first-teamers. What is the point in it?

I hope those idiots stay away forever. Don’t want to watch the best players in the world (and also probably 75% minority) play because they feel differently about the world than you do as just a fan, then don’t watch. They won’t miss you. And spare me that we or they pay their salaries.

Is the NFL missing the 2 million less fans that have watched their games this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT