ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

Russia and Vietnam signed several trade deals, the most important ones are centered around oil exploration and technology. Vietnam wants to exploit oil resources in the China Sea before China muscles them out of those fields.
Russia is also Vietnam’s #1 arms supplier. You’d think the war in Ukraine would make Vietnam rethink this, but I assume they think they have leverage, and their other big option is China, who, as mentioned, is already squeezing Vietnam.

Reactions: h-hawk and HawkMD
Romania may feel that they could be high on Russia's target list. A former Soviet Republic, it borders the Black Sea - which Russia clearly doesn't want to share with anyone (except Turkey).

So why are they reducing their own defenses? My guess is that the US will quickly replace whatever Romania sends. As we are doing with the Baltics and some others.
Turns out they're not.

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
We'll see how many more essays like this come out before negotiations resume.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jun/20/ukraine-nato-membership

Admitting Ukraine to Nato would be a mistake for both Ukraine and Nato​

Christopher S Chivvis

Ukraine is expected to make a renewed push for membership in the military alliance. The US must oppose the proposal

-Christopher S Chivvis is a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, where he directs the program on American Statecraft. He served as the US national intelligence officer for Europe from 2018 to 2021.

TGIF

Photo from wheat peptide ad:)

GQmPMvMWEAAm1IF

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkMD

So this got me thinking.... how many planes does the US have and how many planes does Russia have?

Short version, 14k planes in total for the US, but the top 5
  1. United States Air Force - 5,217
  2. United States Army Aviation - 4,409
  3. Russian Air Force - 3,863
  4. United States Navy - 2,464
  5. People's Liberation Army Air Force (China) - 1,991

And tanks. If this source is correct, then Russia has lost 2/3 of their tanks but I bet this # doesn't account for the last year+ ramp up of getting units into service.

Now you know too.

We'll see how many more essays like this come out before negotiations resume.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jun/20/ukraine-nato-membership

Admitting Ukraine to Nato would be a mistake for both Ukraine and Nato​

Christopher S Chivvis

Ukraine is expected to make a renewed push for membership in the military alliance. The US must oppose the proposal

-Christopher S Chivvis is a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, where he directs the program on American Statecraft. He served as the US national intelligence officer for Europe from 2018 to 2021.
Uh....they cannot be considered while in the middle of an active conflict.

After the conflict, there's little doubt they should be admitted if they choose to apply.

Reactions: HawkMD and h-hawk
So this got me thinking.... how many planes does the US have and how many planes does Russia have?

And tanks. If this source is correct, then Russia has lost 2/3 of their tanks but I bet this # doesn't account for the last year+ ramp up of getting units into service.

Now you know too.
I think your total for China is off.

I think your total for China is off.

Not my numbers, but thats why I cite things. But, original source also specifies the PLA AF and not the PLA NAVY units. 3,150 is combined services.

This shows the combined units across the AF/NAVY/Army, so the 1,991 isn't a total but the AF only. Seems the numbers are verified on 2 sources.

Now you know too.
The way US and NATO countries fight in the air is far superior to the Russian model. US pilots can fly and fight and don’t have to be controlled from the air or ground. Obviously having air and ground radars are optimal and provide a huge advantage but our aviators can think and act very quickly and don’t have to wait for some type of ground approval. I like our side in a fight and believe we would have air superiority very quickly. Our technology is way more advanced than Russia.

Not my numbers, but thats why I cite things. But, original source also specifies the PLA AF and not the PLA NAVY units. 3,150 is combined services.

This shows the combined units across the AF/NAVY/Army, so the 1,991 isn't a total but the AF only. Seems the numbers are verified on 2 sources.
The problem with China is getting verifiable numbers is problematic.

With the U.S and western aligned countries it isn't.

Reactions: funksouljon
The way US and NATO countries fight in the air is far superior to the Russian model. US pilots can fly and fight and don’t have to be controlled from the air or ground. Obviously having air and ground radars are optimal and provide a huge advantage but our aviators can think and act very quickly and don’t have to wait for some type of ground approval. I like our side in a fight and believe we would have air superiority very quickly. Our technology is way more advanced than Russia.
Obviously an anecdotal comparison from a couple decades ago but I observed a massive difference in the amount of flight hrs for pilots and aircraft from NATO level countries and the some of the other countries I dealt with.

For instance...we had Egyptian F-4's fly through Spangdahlem on the way to depot in the states. Looking at the aircraft forms for those jets they only flew a couple times a month. Our F-4's (at that time 1991-1993) were flying over 10 times that amount...probably underestimating actually. When I was in Kuwait half of Kuwaits F-18's were down for maintenance or being used for parts.

The Luftwaffe unit we exercised with that flew east German Mig-29'scould only get 2-3 jets in the air from a squadron of 24.

Just saying the US/NATO standard is much higher than the other foreign air forces I dealt with. Kind of jives with the Russians inability to have undisputed control of the air despite a massive numerical advantage.

Looking at this from a macro level I have to think Russia/China have to be learning a few things about this disparity and take actions to correct it. China would probably be the country that actually could effectively implement corrective measures. Russia is probably a lost cause thankfully.

Last edited:
Obviously an anecdotal comparison from a couple decades ago but I observed a massive difference in the amount of flight hrs for pilots and aircraft from NATO level countries and the some of the other countries I dealt with.

For instance...we had Egyptian F-4's fly through Spangdahlem on the way to depot in the states. Looking at the aircraft forms for those jets they only flew a couple times a month. Our F-4's (at that time 1991-1993) were flying over 10 times that amount...probably underestimating actually. When I was in Kuwait half of Kuwaits F-18's were down for maintenance or being used for parts.

The Luftwaffe unit we exercised with that flew east German Mig-29'scould only get 2-3 jets in the air from a squadron of 24.

Just saying the US/NATO standard is much higher than the other foreign air forces I dealt with. Kind of jives with the Russians inability to have undisputed control of the air despite a massive numerical advantage.

I'd put money on it is the same or even more training forward these days. Cost of running machines is an acceptable and small expense to ensure they are in top shape as well as the operators are first class. Small being relative.

Putin has been blabbering about NATO for years.

NATO is a defensive alliance, that Russia has nothing to fear from UNLESS it attacks a NATO member.
Your BFF Trump tried to disband NATO and dissolve it; he will do that if re-elected, because all he has to do is NOT commit US forces to any Russian aggression against a NATO member, and NATO is done. And as POTUS, he would 100% be able to withhold US forces from acting.

You know this, but you continue to perpetuate Russian myths on the topic. Why is that?
Hmmm thoughts on this?

Reactions: h-hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT