ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

FRkhCvpWQAA5qVO

I have to say Russian aircraft designers can make a beautiful plane.
I’m not an expert, but didn’t the Ukrainians provide a lot of know how in the aerospace industry of the USSR, and era to follow? I did read a lot about how the Russian navy migrated to smaller ships like the class the Admiral Makarov is in because the Ukrainians stopped supplying the engines to Russia after 2014. A lot of the USSR’s navy was built in Ukrainian ship yards, including the Moskva.

I’m not an expert, but didn’t the Ukrainians provide a lot of know how in the aerospace industry of the USSR, and era to follow? I did read a lot about how the Russian navy migrated to smaller ships like the class the Admiral Makarov is in because the Ukrainians stopped supplying the engines to Russia after 2014. A lot of the USSR’s navy was built in Ukrainian ship yards, including the Moskva.

A few were built In Kaliningrad too at the old Schichau Works shipbuilding facility. They keep this up, they just might lose access to both facilities.

Reactions: h-hawk
A few were built In Kaliningrad too at the old Schichau Works shipbuilding facility. They keep this up, they just might lose access to both facilities.
I think they went to great lengths to repopulate Kaliningrad with ethnic Russians. But, you might be right. Why stick with a loser?
For fun I did a Google Earth sweep of that area a few weeks ago and it’s two ports, some trees, and the biggest freaking air base I think I’ve ever seen.

I was reading an article about all of the Russian subs that have left Sevastopol. In addition to firing off missiles they can lay mines. I have the suspicion that they are laying mines near Odessa. Using surface ships would just provide more targets for the Ukrainians.

I was reading an article about all of the Russian subs that have left Sevastopol. In addition to firing off missiles they can lay mines. I have the suspicion that they are laying mines near Odessa. Using surface ships would just provide more targets for the Ukrainians.

I wonder if they worry about the EU(!) trying to open Odessa for grain shipments.
Otherwise maybe this is a good sign they know they cannot attack from the sea.

Reactions: lucas80
I wonder if they worry about the EU(!) trying to open Odessa for grain shipments.
Otherwise maybe this is a good sign they know they cannot attack from the sea.
Stuff like this is all Russia has. They are losing on the battlefield. Trying to leverage food insecurity is one of the cards they have. Hopefully the EU can get more out by rail, or Turkey needs to spearhead an effort to open the Black Sea. As I understand that treaty nobody can be let in, or everyone gets a pass? So if NATO sent in some minesweepers then Russia could replenish their lost ships?

I’ll believe the Putin is sick stories when they are stuffing his corpse into a glass box in Red Square.
Maybe. Why do you think the Ukrainian chief of intelligence would lie about that? It’s his story. The coup part I question. It could be they are just preparing for Putin to die.

Excellent article on Putin’s rise to power and the bureaucratic machine that prevents dissent. Well worth the read. First couple paragraphs pasted below:

The Coup in the Kremlin

On December 20, 1999, Vladimir Putin addressed senior officials of Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) at its Lubyanka headquarters near Moscow’s Red Square. The recently appointed 47-year-old prime minister, who had held the rank of lieutenant colonel in the FSB, was visiting to mark the holiday honoring the Russian security services. “The task of infiltrating the highest level of government is accomplished,” Putin quipped.

His former colleagues chuckled. But the joke was on Russia.

Putin became interim president less than two weeks later. From the start of his rule, he has worked to strengthen the state to counteract the chaos of post-Soviet capitalism and unsteady democratization. To achieve that end, he saw it necessary to elevate the country’s security services and put former security officials in charge of critical government organs.

In recent years, however, Putin’s approach has changed. More and more, bureaucracy has displaced the high-profile personalities that previously dominated. And as the Russian president has come to rely on these bureaucratic institutions to further his consolidation of control, their power has grown relative to other organs of the state. But it was not until February, when Putin gave the orders first to recognize the independence of the self-proclaimed republics of Donetsk and Luhansk and then, a few days later, to send Russian troops into Ukraine, that the complete …

Maybe. Why do you think the Ukrainian chief of intelligence would lie about that? It’s his story. The coup part I question. It could be they are just preparing for Putin to die.
I don’t think anyone is lying. I think information about Putin is hard to come by (We don’t even know how many kids he has), and there is also some wishful thinking going on. There is also some stuff being pushed out by people clearly not in the know who want to appear to be relevant. Relevant in a post Putin Russia in some cases.

Reactions: hwk23
FYI, Navalny is on CNN right now. If you want to know part of the reason why Putin invaded Russia, WS arch this documentary. One of the best ways for a dictator to quell unrest at home is to start a war.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT