ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

giphy.gif

380 troops. Unreal. Russian birth rates coupled with this slaughter equals a decades long plummet in population and productivity.
But then again, maybe this cleansing will enable a fresh start. Nah, who am I kidding. The corruption is baked into the national psyche, it seems.
And if the previous posts are accurate that train cars housing troops were hit, these numbers could actually be quite understated…

This is a good read.

Before, Ukrainian officials said Crimea would be theirs again more out of hope than a firm belief it would actually happen. The same went for most western officials and diplomats, who privately suggested there was little chance of Kyiv ever restoring control.

Now, as Russia struggles on the battlefield in southern and eastern Ukraine, and cracks of dissent appear over president Putin’s unpopular mobilisation drive, some in Kyiv hope the writing is on the wall. “Everything began with Crimea and everything will end with Crimea,” said Zelenskiy, in an August speech.

The Crimea office was opened by Zelenskiy last year as part of a strategy known as the Crimea Platform, which is aimed at envisioning eventual Ukrainian control over the territory. Sculptures by Crimean artists dot the gardens: one emits the sounds of waves and dolphins to evoke the seaside resorts of the peninsula. Inside, large photographs of spectacular Crimean landscapes and activists jailed by Russian authorities hang from the walls. Tasheva, a former rights activist who is Crimean Tatar, has been in the role since April this year.

Ukrainian officials say targeting Crimea is key to stopping the Russian war machine in other parts of occupied Ukraine, and Kyiv appears to have done so several times in recent months, most notably in early August, when several explosions rocked the Saky airbase.

“Crimea is the key base for their army reserves. It’s where they have their bases for ammunition, hardware and soldiers, so of course destroying these bases is a major part of de-blockading our territory,” said Mykhailo Podolyak, a senior aide to Zelenskiy.

380 troops. Unreal. Russian birth rates coupled with this slaughter equals a decades long plummet in population and productivity.
But then again, maybe this cleansing will enable a fresh start. Nah, who am I kidding. The corruption is baked into the national psyche, it seems.
Crazier too when you factor in population difference between US and Russia (43 percent of US). Apples to apples population-wise, this is like if we lost almost 800 soldiers in one day, 130k soldiers in 7.5 months. Insane numbers.

Crazier too when you factor in population difference between US and Russia (43 percent of US). Apples to apples population-wise, this is like if we lost almost 800 soldiers in one day, 130k soldiers in 7.5 months. Insane numbers.
China approves this message.
This is likely to drop them into a long downward spiral.
Maybe Navalny and/or others can gain some traction and help begin a positive rebuild.

Hodges says that the Russians will need to complete orderly withdrawals to keep the Ukrainians from overrunning them. The Russians have not shown they can do anything in an orderly fashion except pillage and commit war crimes.

I am wondering if this disruption is closer to the Crimean shoreline, or the Russian. Just thinking that “repairs” might be easier if near the Russian side.
I think that was very close to the Crimean terminus. I’ve run the length of that bridge on Google Earth and as I recall the section with the arches is very close to Crimea

I would worry using it but maybe these are people flowing back to Russia if this is real.

The westbound lanes were knocked out, but not the eastbound, which is the direction those leaving Crimea would use. Notice that there is only traffic in one direction.
This is possibly “after blast” footage.
I would expect them to set up two way traffic on that span if so…

Reactions: Torg and h-hawk
At least the railway is blocked for awhile.

And car traffic is down to single lane due to damage to remaining span. Likely unable to carry weight from heavy trucks or military equipment, either. Unable to use it for bringing in fuel, ammo, or armor is a huge blow for Russia. Just enough left for their people to flee Crimea on, without any washing machines!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT