ADVERTISEMENT

This should concern all the well-heeled members of GIAHORT....

WASHINGTON (AP) — The IRS announced on Friday it is launching an effort to aggressively pursue 1,600 millionaires and 75 large business partnerships that owe hundreds of millions of dollars in past due taxes.

IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel said that with a boost in federal funding and the help of artificial intelligence tools, the agency has new means of targeting wealthy people who have “cut corners” on their taxes.

“If you pay your taxes on time it should be particularly frustrating when you see that wealthy filers are not,” Werfel told reporters in a call previewing the announcement. He said 1,600 millionaires who owe at least $250,000 each in back taxes and 75 large business partnerships that have assets of roughly $10 billion on average are targeted for the new “compliance efforts.”

Werfel said a massive hiring effort and AI research tools developed by IRS employees and contractors are playing a big role in identifying wealthy tax dodgers. The agency is making an effort to showcase positive results from its burst of new funding under President Joe Biden’s Democratic administration as Republicans in Congress look to claw back some of that money.

“New tools are helping us see patterns and trends that we could not see before, and as a result, we have higher confidence on where to look and find where large partnerships are shielding income,” he said.

In July, IRS leadership said it collected $38 million in delinquent taxes from more than 175 high-income taxpayers in the span of a few months. Now, the agency will scale up that effort, Werfel said.

“The IRS will have dozens of revenue officers focused on these high-end collection cases in fiscal year 2024,” he said.

A team of academic economists and IRS researchers in 2021 found that the top 1% of U.S. income earners fail to report more than 20% of their earnings to the IRS.

The newly announced tax collection effort will begin as soon as October. “We have more hiring to do,” Werfel said. “It’s going to be a very busy fall for us.”

Grover Norquist, who heads the conservative Americans for Tax Reform, said the IRS’ plan to pursue high wealth individuals does not preclude the IRS from eventually pursuing middle-income Americans for audits down the road.

“This power and these resources allow them to go after anyone they want,” he said. “The next step is to go after anyone they wish to target for political purposes.”

Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden, D-Ore., said the IRS’ new plan is a “big deal” that “represents a fresh approach to taking on sophisticated tax cheats.”

“This action goes to the heart of Democrats’ effort to ensure the wealthiest are paying their fair share,” he said in a statement.

David Williams, at the right-leaning, nonprofit Taxpayers Protection Alliance, said “every business and every person should pay their taxes — full stop.” However, “I just hope this isn’t used as a justification to hire thousands of new agents,” that would audit Americans en masse, he said.

The federal tax collector gained the enhanced ability to identify tax delinquents with resources provided by the Inflation Reduction Act, which Biden signed into law in August of 2022. The agency was in line for an $80 billion infusion under the law, but that money is vulnerable to potential cutbacks by Congress.

House Republicans built a $1.4 billion reduction to the IRS into the debt ceiling and budget cuts package passed by Congress this summer. The White House said the debt deal also has a separate agreement to take $20 billion from the IRS over the next two years and divert that money to other non-defense programs.

With the threat of a government shutdown looming in a dispute over spending levels, there is the potential for additional cuts to the agency.

Good.

Why should this bother ANY honest tax paying citizen/ resident of the USA, Trad? Are you saying it is “ok” to fraud abd cheat on your income taxes?
Is cheating an “ok” thing in your book?
There are illegal liberties being taken by many tax payers on their taxes annually. The IRS simply does not have the personnel to conduct their day to day business efficiently, much less “catch” thes phuquin’ cheaypters.
Gunpve’m their 180k employees and let’s restore timeliness and efficiency to the IRS abd keep tax cheaters at bay....it throw their asses in to jail!
I have little time for folks who feel the need to cheat to get ahead. Does that include you, Trad?

A couple of years ago my wife and I bought some property in Florida from an individual from England. A year later the IRS declared we owed around $15000 in taxes on the deal. They threatened the hell out of us. We finally paid it to get them off our backs, but my wife went after them. Now she is a lot more intelligent than I am so she handled everything. I am just a rumdum. Well, after another year the IRS sent us a check and an apology. There was no interest paid on the money we sent sent to them.
I did make a long story short here.
Proper documentation by you or your tax preparer would probably have saved you a lot of time and money. You did get your money back. Also, a lot of this issue might have been solved if the IRS had adequate staff and enough numbers to deal with your issue. You have to admit, judging by what you described, this was not a “normal, run of the mill” real estate transaction. It would quite likely, raise a red flag or two with the IRS.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
WASHINGTON (AP) — The IRS announced on Friday it is launching an effort to aggressively pursue 1,600 millionaires and 75 large business partnerships that owe hundreds of millions of dollars in past due taxes.

IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel said that with a boost in federal funding and the help of artificial intelligence tools, the agency has new means of targeting wealthy people who have “cut corners” on their taxes.

“If you pay your taxes on time it should be particularly frustrating when you see that wealthy filers are not,” Werfel told reporters in a call previewing the announcement. He said 1,600 millionaires who owe at least $250,000 each in back taxes and 75 large business partnerships that have assets of roughly $10 billion on average are targeted for the new “compliance efforts.”

Werfel said a massive hiring effort and AI research tools developed by IRS employees and contractors are playing a big role in identifying wealthy tax dodgers. The agency is making an effort to showcase positive results from its burst of new funding under President Joe Biden’s Democratic administration as Republicans in Congress look to claw back some of that money.

“New tools are helping us see patterns and trends that we could not see before, and as a result, we have higher confidence on where to look and find where large partnerships are shielding income,” he said.

In July, IRS leadership said it collected $38 million in delinquent taxes from more than 175 high-income taxpayers in the span of a few months. Now, the agency will scale up that effort, Werfel said.

“The IRS will have dozens of revenue officers focused on these high-end collection cases in fiscal year 2024,” he said.

A team of academic economists and IRS researchers in 2021 found that the top 1% of U.S. income earners fail to report more than 20% of their earnings to the IRS.

The newly announced tax collection effort will begin as soon as October. “We have more hiring to do,” Werfel said. “It’s going to be a very busy fall for us.”

Grover Norquist, who heads the conservative Americans for Tax Reform, said the IRS’ plan to pursue high wealth individuals does not preclude the IRS from eventually pursuing middle-income Americans for audits down the road.

“This power and these resources allow them to go after anyone they want,” he said. “The next step is to go after anyone they wish to target for political purposes.”

Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden, D-Ore., said the IRS’ new plan is a “big deal” that “represents a fresh approach to taking on sophisticated tax cheats.”

“This action goes to the heart of Democrats’ effort to ensure the wealthiest are paying their fair share,” he said in a statement.

David Williams, at the right-leaning, nonprofit Taxpayers Protection Alliance, said “every business and every person should pay their taxes — full stop.” However, “I just hope this isn’t used as a justification to hire thousands of new agents,” that would audit Americans en masse, he said.

The federal tax collector gained the enhanced ability to identify tax delinquents with resources provided by the Inflation Reduction Act, which Biden signed into law in August of 2022. The agency was in line for an $80 billion infusion under the law, but that money is vulnerable to potential cutbacks by Congress.

House Republicans built a $1.4 billion reduction to the IRS into the debt ceiling and budget cuts package passed by Congress this summer. The White House said the debt deal also has a separate agreement to take $20 billion from the IRS over the next two years and divert that money to other non-defense programs.

With the threat of a government shutdown looming in a dispute over spending levels, there is the potential for additional cuts to the agency.

HORTers don’t owe back taxes.

I had an unusual situation this year. The accountant filed my taxes in the middle of March. I paid the additional taxes immediately.

60 days later we get a letter from the IRS. My wife has it set up so we get an email from the post office showing us the mail that is coming. Nothing like seeing that email with an envelope from the IRS and having to wait to see it.

The letter said that they had reviewed my taxes and that I had overpaid by $290. Check was enclosed.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Whether you owe anything would ultimately be decided in court. Of course, even if you win in court you spend a fortune to defend yourself. Lose-lose proposition. Better to just give them what they want.

Is this what you want your government to be doing?
You seem to make up a lot of scenarios in your head to make sense of what you hope to be true.

There is absolutely NO reason our tax structure should require that we disclose every dollar we made somehow, and from whom we obtained it, and who we gave money to, and on and on and on. That's the opposite of freedom and liberty.

There are better ways of doing this, but then government loses a shit-load of data on us, and more importantly, control.
Must suck to live your life in constant fear.

If they can do it to 1,600 millionaires, they can do it to you, too.

How confident are you that YOU never made some sort of mistake on your taxes that was in fact a violation of the code?
So what? Honestly, if I made a mistake on my taxes they will send me a bill and I will pay it. Unless you are thinking they will skip the sending a bill part and go directly to storm troopers.

Follow the rules the best you can, then pay your tax. Simple.

last couple years i received letters from irs a few months after tax filing asking for a few more bucks. zero reason or even hint of reason given. just that you owe this much more and you can choose to not pay but that “might” trigger audit. wtf. i paid both times.
That's nonsense. I would never pay tax without knowing what it was for.

I'm a retired CPA that practiced in tax for 35 years. I've dealt with hundreds of client correspondence with the IRS. Sometimes the IRS was right, but many times they were wrong. An explanation letter or a call to the IRS and you can get to the bottom of it. Nothing bad ever happened as a result.

And in those 35 years of annually working with a couple hundred middle to high income taxpayers, I can count the number of individual audits on one hand.

I don't see how this can be seen as anything other than a positive. It's a pretty common attitude here that the rich should be paying more. Well, how about just paying what they owe?

It's up to Congress, not the IRS, to make the tax code simpler. I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, let's see if we can get everyone to pay what they owe.

I’ve already put most of my wealth in life trusts in the kid’s names, moved the rest offshore, filed sub chapter S paper. The gold bars and bit coins I put in the freezer of the beer fridge in the shed but don’t tell anyone. I work strictly for cash or beer off grid now…

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I’ve already put most of my wealth in life trusts in the kid’s names, moved the rest offshore, filed sub chapter S paper. The gold bars and bit coins I put in the freezer of the beer fridge in the shed but don’t tell anyone. I work strictly for cash or beer off grid now…
You looking for work? I need a guy for a few projects that your skill set is spot on for.
We need a new safe room, as the overflowing cash shelves are crimping our space.
My armory is also getting a little tight.
Easy digging clay, no rocks, nice slope for drainage.
I don’t know current concrete costs, but one of the local outlets flies the flag, so I figger cash is good.
Time critical tho, there is an election next year.

You looking for work? I need a guy for a few projects that your skill set is spot on for.
We need a new safe room, as the overflowing cash shelves are crimping our space.
My armory is also getting a little tight.
Easy digging clay, no rocks, nice slope for drainage.
I don’t know current concrete costs, but one of the local outlets flies the flag, so I figger cash is good.
Time critical tho, there is an election next year.
Ain’t it great when a plan comes together!

Reactions: billanole
If they can do it to 1,600 millionaires, they can do it to you, too.

How confident are you that YOU never made some sort of mistake on your taxes that was in fact a violation of the code?
I am a 100% confident I have screwed up my taxes along the way. I once read a study out of some university in California where they gave 10 different accountants the exact same filing requirements and every one of them came up with something different. I am only required by law to file to the best of my knowledge and ability. I am not required by law to be accurate.

I am a 100% confident I have screwed up my taxes along the way. I once read a study out of some university in California where they gave 10 different accountants the exact same filing requirements and every one of them came up with something different. I am only required by law to file to the best of my knowledge and ability. I am not required by law to be accurate.
True. But you are required to provide “documentation” in case of an IRS inquiry. Legit paperwork satisfies being accurate in the vast majority of cases.

My experiences with the IRS is they are required to point out mistakes...and apply the law. Unless the fileris intentionally trying to defraud (cheat) the tax code, there is nothing to really be concerned about....other than a guilty conscience.

Reactions: Kelsers
Okay, let's go down this rabbit hole....

Do you want the police to only arrest drunk drivers who own luxury cars and can afford to pay big fines?
Why are you guys ALWAYS on the side of "what's good for the wealthy"?? The IRS has been complaining for years that they don't have the resources to go after the wealthy tax cheats. Those cheaters screw over all of the rest of us...part of why we can't have nice things. They have them, but the rest of us don't.

Yeah...what are they gonna do with it? Hold a House or Senate committee hearing? Or is this just another MAGA/ right-wing boogey-man conspiracy to limit your “free-dumbs”?
The IRS has a yearly conference where they have breakouts of agents studying and discussing the massive tax fraud endemic in the HR community. Strategies are agreed upon to combat this lucrative tax avoidance scheme that permeates the corporate HR managerial masses.
Trad knows that the jig is up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT