ADVERTISEMENT

This used to be one of the best school districts in Iowa...Bettendorf

I actually agree with him and I'm a teacher. I get the idea for students who need it but this mindset has gone into so many students who don't need it. Everyone should get an A regardless of how hard they work or how good of a product they put out. It's really getting pathetic and in the top 5 reasons why I'm feeling burned out right now.

Well with SBG they are all guaranteed at least a B.

No. It is the 8th grader who is getting rings in a baseball tournament for finishing 3rd out of 4 teams. Yes, I do think it is a problem. Ever since this has been going on kids are getting softer and softer. They don't know what it means to be resilient or work hard... like really work hard.

I had a student ask just three weeks ago that since only 14 of my 31 kids turned in a essay that I let them work on for THREE WEEKS in class that they all deserved an A. An a for turning in their paper on time. Another student was gone when we had a test. I let him finish the test when he came back instead of doing the work. He has since yelled at me how ridiculous it was because he was gone that he should have to make up work. This kid was a starter on my basketball team and when things went wrong it was always everyone else's fault. I have dozens of stories like this from just the last few months.

Again, I know you are getting at students who NEED the pickmeups but stuff like PBIS, no late policy, a million retakes etc are all leading to the participation trophy which is now the letter grade of an A. It means nothing to kids.

Hmmm. You just described my teaching experience.

Beat up some guy at a political rally???????????????????????????????

WTF

You're either senile or have me mixed up with someone else. And if you're triggered by my opinions... put me on ignore.

I'm not "all over the place". I've been consistent in my criticism of selfish, backward Republican policies for decades.

Please put me on ignore.
Or just do everyone a favor and don't respond to any conversion that requires intellectual engagement. For real. You hate cons and clones.... please be thoughtful in your responses. You just look as dumb as you probably are with your posts.

I'd love for solutions for this crap from anybody. How do we stop the lunatics from running the asylum? This is the biggest reason why educators are saying the hell with all this.

We need to make it easier to expel kids without schools having to pay their tuition or transportation to some other district. There also needs to be an alternative school to send kids to. There is nothing worse than a student that takes pride in being disrespectful and feeling the rules don’t apply to him/her.

Unfortunately true. Lot's of lawsuits flying in our district. Mostly by employees but some by parents.
Constant lawsuits or threats of lawsuits. Often times by parents of students who have the worst behaviors to keep them in school, where all they do is disrupt.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Not related to Bettendorf or public schools going down the crapper, but for the 100th time - there were participation trophies/medals/ribbons in the 1980s as well, and far more of them than I have seen in raising three kids in this era. It is not a new phenomenon. Can also confirm that I watched about a dozen track meets this Spring and didn't see any type of award handed out at any of them, even to the winners. Probably because the schools don't have enough funding for building maintenance and personnel, much less yellow ribbons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT