ADVERTISEMENT

This used to be one of the best school districts in Iowa...Bettendorf

This question means nothing coming from you. You make a fool out of yourself on here daily.

You're the guy on record as saying:

"More than anything, I would say that cons triablism and need to "own" anyone that disagrees with them is where we should be pointing our fingers.

We're going down an unfortunate path as a society where the only ameniable solution that can be done in the short term is isolation. Don't want to send your kids to public school? Pay for private because it would take too long to fix something as rudimentary as safety. Police don't respond quick enough? Pay a private security group to patrol. Public transportation becomes unsafe? Pay for uber/lyft. Don't want people to have access to your neighborhood? Make it private and put up a fence.

A former Bettendorf teacher and baseball coach is suing the Bettendorf School District, a principal, the former athletic director and the current baseball coach in connection with a "hideous assault" that occurred on a district-hired bus last year.

Brandon Nau has filed an eight-count complaint that includes allegations of failure to report abuse, bullying, assault and battery, negligence, and denial of due process.

The case is related to the assault last year by a baseball teammate against Nau's son during a return trip to Bettendorf from a Burlington game. The incident was described by a member of the school board as "an absolutely hideous assault" for its sexually disturbing nature.

Reactions: Moral
A former Bettendorf teacher and baseball coach is suing the Bettendorf School District, a principal, the former athletic director and the current baseball coach in connection with a "hideous assault" that occurred on a district-hired bus last year.

Brandon Nau has filed an eight-count complaint that includes allegations of failure to report abuse, bullying, assault and battery, negligence, and denial of due process.

The case is related to the assault last year by a baseball teammate against Nau's son during a return trip to Bettendorf from a Burlington game. The incident was described by a member of the school board as "an absolutely hideous assault" for its sexually disturbing nature.

That situation is absolutely effed up from what I heard.

It would be interesting to see the discipline records at the elementary schools and the high school. I will say, the behavior at the junior high in my district is very troubling. It’s a tough age and the issues are getting tougher every year.

The left doesn't want to hear this.

Maybe if they dropped the hammer instead reacting to the unreasonable requests of emotional unbalanced people, we'd all be better off.

The recent push by the left to have equal disciplinary outcomes along with eliminating school police officers is just making matters worse.
I blame left thinking on a damn lot of our discipline issues at school. We are soooooo soft. Created a ton of problems.

You'll have trouble believing this but I agree with you completely. We need to figure out how to make public education a privilege and not a right. Since it's a right, families sue to keep their kids in school. Not the families of the "good" kids. It's the families of the ones who cause the disruptions.

It continues to get worse, just as we have predicted for decades.
Compulsory education is actually ruining education.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
It would be interesting to see the discipline records at the elementary schools and the high school. I will say, the behavior at the junior high in my district is very troubling. It’s a tough age and the issues are getting tougher every year.
In our district the kid with the most referrals is a kindergartner.

Reactions: win1forthe

Yeah what that kid did to Nau is beyond disgusting. Should have been an immediate expulsion from Bettendorf.

Reactions: Moral
That wasn’t the point. Basically it’s mom’s defending their perfect children. I see it constantly.

The other part of the problem is that they have a tendency to be the loudest voice in the room at PTA meetings and the like. Other parents give them more credence than they probably should because surely they wouldn’t be that upset unless there actually was a problem.

It used to be there was a partnership between schools and parents. Now it’s increasingly us vs them mentality, with everyone looking for someone to blame instead of looking for a solution.

Reactions: Tom Paris and hwk23
Where are your unions at in all of this? This seems pretty straightforward, if you're physically harmed, you follow document and file a police report every single time. If the administration doesn't like it, take it up with the union. If you document it, the administration cannot deflect responsibility to remedy the situation

What do you think a world without required education looks like? Not sure Id want to see that.
I'm not arguing it shouldn't be required. I'm of the opinion it should still be treated as a privilege, like driving. If you can't follow the plan you don't get to be there.

Obviously I'd love all my neighbors to be highly educated, be able to descern legitimate reporting from propaganda etc. Hell, maybe understand a little history.

But if kids, especially once they are HS age, can't get with the program they should pursue a GED and get into the work force.

Where are your unions at in all of this? This seems pretty straightforward, if you're physically harmed, you follow document and file a police report every single time. If the administration doesn't like it, take it up with the union. If you document it, the administration cannot deflect responsibility to remedy the situation

As is common in many red midwestern states, the union has been stripped of any power.

Yeah what that kid did to Nau is beyond disgusting. Should have been an immediate expulsion from Bettendorf.
I want the full story.

Once again, there has to be adults in the room who act like adults. Eff the kids, you do stupid shit, stupid shit bites you.

Reactions: 24 so far
The other part of the problem is that they have a tendency to be the loudest voice in the room at PTA meetings and the like. Other parents give them more credence than they probably should because surely they wouldn’t be that upset unless there actually was a problem.

It used to be there was a partnership between schools and parents. Now it’s increasingly us vs them mentality, with everyone looking for someone to blame instead of looking for a solution.
One thing I have learned, especially as an elementary teacher, if a kid likes you, their parents like you.

I'm not arguing it shouldn't be required. I'm of the opinion it should still be treated as a privilege, like driving. If you can't follow the plan you don't get to be there.

Obviously I'd love all my neighbors to be highly educated, be able to descern legitimate reporting from propaganda etc. Hell, maybe understand a little history.

But if kids, especially once they are HS age, can't get with the program they should pursue a GED and get into the work force.
Unfortunately those who lose that right would be the ones who need it the worst.

Might as well send em to prison right away because thats where they are going.

For this of course Im talking about those from broken homes, raised in poverty etc.... honestly, I dont know what to think about the well off kids who are pieces of shit.

Last edited:
Almost nobody files charges. I get the sense districts wouldn’t want us to.

Bingo. Too many suburban WASP parents, especially moms, act like little Trevor or Tyler is so special and can do no wrong.
This is certainly part of the problem. Parents want to "befriend" their kids and their kids peers......My parents were seemingly more involved in setting an example for us kids to follow. And woe be us kids if we didn't follow that example......
Kids NEED boundaries and these boundaries need to be consistent and enforced. All aspects of a child's life need to be closely monitored by responsible adults. THAT is the job of a parent.

The "why" is lawsuits.
My understanding is the administrative staff is punished financially if parents complaints are brought about their child being disciplined. To save their hide , the administrative staff sides with the children and parents disproportionately
The kids get off. The administrative staff gets their raise. The teachers and kids suffer the consequences.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Unfortunately those who lose that right would be the ones who need it the worst.

Might as well send em to prison right away because thats where they are going.

For this of course Im talking about those from broken homes, raised in poverty etc.... honestly, I dont know what to think about the well off kids who are pieces of shit.
Agree. Kids that get no direction have no direction but those bad apples are ruining it. Alternative HS cost a ton and communities won't pay for it. Taxes in the US are relatively low compared to the modern world and these would be a massive investment in any community as they save hundreds of thousands in social work/incarceration/addiction. But alas... Gotta get everyone to the same bar (if if it's a wink and a nod)

Reactions: Drake__Mallard
Don’t understand the parents who think their kids are never wrong. As a parent I always assume my kids are wrong just like my parents did.
My mom grounded me for damn near an entire year because of some shit with my 5th grade teacher. The entire time I swore my innocence and do til this day.

The following year the teacher was fired because she lost it on the students and it became obvious that she was the problem.

We can laugh about it now, but my mom still acts as if it was the right choice. I didnt get by with shit when I was younger.

My understanding is the administrative staff is punished financially if parents complaints are brought about their child being disciplined. To save their hide , the administrative staff sides with the children and parents disproportionately
The kids get off. The administrative staff gets their raise. The teachers and kids suffer the consequences.
This is untrue. Admin are on a salary schedule like teachers. Now, not having a job because you suspended to many kids of a certain demographic, being it racial or economic? Yeah, you'll be looking for work. Btw most from Bush II federally.

I know for a fact that filing police charges on kids under 12 will do no good.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My mom grounded me for damn near an entire year because of some shit with my 5th grade teacher. The entire time I swore my innocence and do til this day.

The following year the teacher was fired because she lost it on the students and it became obvious that she was the problem.

We can laugh about it now, but my mom still acts as if it was the right choice. I didnt get by with shit when I was younger.

i had a similar situation with a 4th grade teacher. It sucked but I learned young that life isn’t fair and to always keep the evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT